HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First game Beer league (ASHL)

Old
04-25-2013, 02:23 AM
TMLOBI

vCash: 500
First game Beer league (ASHL)

I have been out of organized hockey for quite some time and have never played in a mens league so I was unsure what to expect. Guys in the room all seemed cool a few were even drinking some beers

Our goalie didn't show up so we had a rent-a-goalie who was a women (this is a mens league) and she played spectacularly!

8 players showed up so we had 2 subs for forward and 1 sub for defence. No one wanted to play defence so I said I'll take it this game and we can rotate it throughout the year.

We went up 1-0 early. They scored the next (and their only goal), when the puck came to me at the blue line I tripped over my own skate falling on my ass! They went on a breakaway and I thought our goalie had him but he roofed it on her! I went and apologized and she said it was okay.

We scored the next 7 goals and won 8-1. I swear I went to the bench and the next time I looked up (was gassed and drinking water) we scored 3 goals. I threw a few interference "checks" but didn't get called they were mostly to hold up guys trying to deke me or chip the puck behind me and chase it. I blocked 2 shots and broke up 1 or 2 plays. I DID NOT score or get an assist and was a +1. I just looked at the stats now and they credited me a GOAL. HAHA bad karma? Probably but screw it I'll take it!

After the game a fight almost broke out. A guy on their team high sticked our guy without a call. I'm not sure what our guy did other than saying "watch your stick" and something about teeth. But the guy chirped him (whined) after the game and asked if he wanted to fight. It was hilarious because the guy on our team had at least a foot and 100 pounds on this kid.

Guys made a joke or two about me falling down as did I. They didn't really care, they're there to have fun. It was a good experience for my first game! Next week maybe I'll score a real goal!

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:41 AM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Sounds like a fun time. Try to get out to any open hockey sessions you can to improve your game. I got back into hockey earlier this year and getting on the ice 3-4 times a week really helped.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
Guys made a joke or two about me falling down as did I. They didn't really care, they're there to have fun. It was a good experience for my first game! Next week maybe I'll score a real goal!
Great

What location do you play at?

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:14 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Great

What location do you play at?
Canlan at Markham road just north of Finch. It's a nice arena, they have four rinks and a bar up stairs showing NHL games. Stop time, 2 refs at the game, stats all posted online (maybe wrong sometimes though ) and they offer shinny at certain hours for 5 bucks.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote