HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The official crow eating thread: I am now a believer

Old
04-25-2013, 01:01 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

vCash: 500
The official crow eating thread: I am now a believer

There's no other way to say it; this team has come alive again. The difference in level of play the past few weeks, even in a few of their losses, has been a totally different level than what we saw earlier this season. I always expected the Wings to make the playoffs at 7th-8th, but I never actually thought we stood a chance against Chicago until tonight. Almost everyone who was struggling early on in this season is starting to get hot, and I for one think we actually can do damage in the playoffs.

Brunner and Nyquist are looking HUGELY DANGEROUS again, our bottom 6 is bringing enery, Franzen looks like 2008 Franzen, and heck even Abdelkader has been damn near effective the past several weeks. Even if you take away his hattrick, he has been an absolute wrecking ball. In the past 3 games alone I think he has had more memorable hits than he had for the first 20+ games of the season.

Defensively, I honestly feel as if our team is playing better than it ever did last season. Yes, we miss Lidstrom, most notably his point shot and outlet pass, but Kindl and Ericcsson have really taken strides into becoming top 4 defenders and Dekeyser is honestly playing better than Stuart was last year. Smith still makes mistakes, but the tools are clearly there, and even Quincy has been relatively solid after simplifying his game.

Last but not least is Howard. The dude has been absolute lights out. While I'm still wary of his contract length, there is no question in my mind that he is worth 5.3 for next year. I honestly feel like he is quietly entering into the top echelon of goaltenders, something I never thought would happen.

After the first few weeks of the season, I was already preparing myself for the embarrassment of vsing a team like Chicago in the first round. That wasn't the same team we are seeing now though, despite what the roster and jersey might tell you. This team has the capability to beat Chicago. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I for one am a lot more excited to watch how it all plays out than I thought I'd be 3 weeks ago.

Lets go Red Wings !

Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 04-26-2013 at 09:05 PM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Flowah

I think the tools are there to create a team that could be dangerous and might upset.

I do not have faith in our ability to put those tools to the best use. Cleary is still on the PP and the second line. Whyyyyyyyy. Why the hell is Quincey on the second unit PP? Pleeease Babcock. Pleeeease. Kronwall, DD, Kindl, Smith. Those are the guys with the offensive instincts to play defense on the PP. If Tatar isn't called up as soon as playoffs start, I have no idea what anyone in management/coaching is thinking. Tootoo clearly has some great instincts. He makes great passes to setup chances nearly every game he dresses for. Yet he's one of the first forward to be sat on rotation.

But even with what I consider ideal lineups and roster changes, I'd put their chances at like 40% to upset. Meaning, wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't count on it.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:13 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
But even with what I consider ideal lineups and roster changes, I'd put their chances at like 40% to upset. Meaning, wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't count on it.
Oh, I don't think anyone could claim we'd be the favorite, but up until two-three weeks ago, I'd put our chances at around .5% compared to 20%ish now. Agreed with the rest of your post, I think a Cleary groin pull could be the best thing to happen to this team right now.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:13 AM
hot dog

jimmy on fire is huge. really simple as that. obviously guys like abby, franzen, somewhat fil playing as well as they have all year is big... but jimmy (and the d) allowing <2 gpg is HUGE for this team. brunner coming back is big as well. if datsyuk plays like he did tonight and most of this year other than april consistently... we can take a round in the playoffs. at least.

am i on the bandwagon of us winning a series? nahh. but i'm excited if we do get in. we haven't really ever played that underdog role since i've been following...

hot dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Meh I'm not gonna eat crow after two solid games from a desperate team. Hell, they aren't even in the playoffs yet.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Meh I'm not gonna eat crow after two solid games from a desperate team. Hell, they aren't even in the playoffs yet.
Agreed. I'll eat crow and admit Babcock has done a great job this year if and only if he sits Cleary and slots in Tatar.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:55 AM
JPE123

This team really confuses me. When they get it together, they look like a cup contender. Then they play some absolutely terrible games, no movement and spend entire game in our zone.

These last 2 have been good and hoping they can keep up the pace. And Jimmy giving up one goal in 2 games is huge

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:12 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
My thoughts as well.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

This team still sucks because they can't score goals easily.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:17 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Oh Mindfly.

You're always so positive!

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

babcock has been brillant in that he has teached this team how to play defence as a team again and not by simply relying on lidstrom(which is exactly what it had been doing the last # of years). you can see how good he is at teaching the young guys and thats why he is an awesome coach and why its never been about him in the most knowledgable hockey fans eyes

definsevely we have shored up bigtime and howie has been solid

nyquist looks dangerous everytime he is on the ice and you can see his potential

zetterberg has re-entered beast mode and if we make the playoffs and win a few games or heck even a series it will be because of him carrying us on his back(he is our best playoff player hands down)

hopefully their is no let off the gas type thinking tonight, a win and we're in and we can move ahead of minny and avoid a date with the hawks as i love our chances against the ducks

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Sentinel

I totally agree with Mindfly. This team can't. Score. Goals. Abby still sucks, I don't care how many people he can hit (a poor man's Shawn Burr), but he doesn't belong on the first line. Cleary is beyond awful, I can't wait for him to pull the groin. Flip still is a massive disappointment. Our defense can't put the puck on net.

Just two good games against weak teams (LA looked insipid last night) and people start getting ready for the parade. Sure, they played with passion and even desperation, but they still can't score

The only things that make me feel good are the youngsters. Looks like Babs trusts DeK, and that's a good thing, the kid's got instincts. If NyQ and Brunner start finding the net again, we can do some damage. Dats and Howie can only do so much.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
hyduK

yeah, teams been playing well. We certainly aren't favorites to win against Chicago (or Anaheim) but we've been on the losing side of enough upsets that I know it's far from impossible.

hyduK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:55 AM
probertrules24

I will wait to comment until its all said and done. Like any rational fan, depending on what I wear, do, eat or any thing done differently will affect the outcome.

What puzzles me is reading some of the GDT's lately and seeing poster predicting a loss. I can't seem to understand why anybody even if they think they will would want their team to lose. Only thing I can think of is they predicted the Wings to miss the playoffs and are just waiting to say I told you so.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:27 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
You must be living in such a nightmare right now... What with the prospect that we can clinch a playoff spot tonight and all. We could even *gasp* get the seventh seed.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:40 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Agreed. I'll eat crow and admit Babcock has done a great job this year if and only if he sits Cleary and slots in Tatar.
Why do people keep on bringing this up? He can't possibly play Tatar because we've used all of our recalls up. The only way Tatar can come up is if we only have 11 forwards able to play & it would only be on an emergency basis. Right now Bert is due to come back tonight & Sammy was a healthy scratch last night.

If you meant for the playoffs I'd rather see Bert in then Tatar & get Cleary off the 2nd line but that's my opinion of course. Tatar can be recalled in the playoffs but it won't be until the Griffins are eliminated from the Calder Cup playoffs.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:44 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I will save my crow once they clinch the playoffs and get out of the first round.

This team has played like this a few times this season and I have no reason to believe they will magically turn into a team that can consistently play good hockey. Especially against the Hawks.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
This,

We could be 2nd in the division and 4th or 5th in the conference easily if guys had shown up and Babs hadn't been so stubborn. Kenny literally can't and won't do anything for whatever reason, so I won't comment on him, aside from good job on the DeKeyser signing.

But yeah, it has been nice to see our guys actually show up the last 5-7 games.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
aar000n

I'll believe it when we win and the jackets are out.

aar000n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:01 PM
korrowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
This,

We could be 2nd in the division and 4th or 5th in the conference easily if guys had shown up and Babs hadn't been so stubborn. Kenny literally can't and won't do anything for whatever reason, so I won't comment on him, aside from good job on the DeKeyser signing.

But yeah, it has been nice to see our guys actually show up the last 5-7 games.
Yu can thank Lidstrom for the DeKeyser signing. Don't give KH so much credit.

korrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Shoalzie

I've said all along there aren't 8 teams than them in the West...not to say that there aren't 7 teams better though. They'll give Chicago or Anaheim a heck of a battle but I'll keep my expectations grounded...still thought they were playoff worthy but they're a ways away from being cup contenders.

The things I'm happiest about...DeKeyser has fit in perfectly and he unquestionably belongs, Nyquist is playing with a lot of confidence and Howard has been money...literally. The supporting cast still bothers me with how they'll disappear too often. The Wings postseason success generally has come from the best players being the best players but you'd get contributions from other unexpected sources. Last night had a playoff feel with Eaves and Tootoo being impactful.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by korrowan View Post
Yu can thank Lidstrom for the DeKeyser signing. Don't give KH so much credit.
Not to take away from Lids persuasion abilities, but I doubt a phonecall from him was what tipped DeKeyser over to us, more like it helped seal the deal. KH did a good job with DeKeyser.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:23 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

KH did a good job getting Dekeyser?

No offense, but Dekeyser WANTED to play here. He's family friends with the Nils, the Redmonds, etc.

Get KH to get someone who didn't grow up yearning to be a Red Wings, and I'll give him credit.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:24 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

If the Wings make it past Round 1, I''ll eat a little bit of crow.

But going in at 7 or 8 and losing in Round 1?
That's about what was project from day 1.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:46 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
If the Wings make it past Round 1, I''ll eat a little bit of crow.

But going in at 7 or 8 and losing in Round 1?
That's about what was project from day 1.
Yeah, I said 7th-12th after our very first game. You could tell what kind of year it was going to be.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote