HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bodyweight summer workout?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
finnishdman

vCash: 500
Bodyweight summer workout?

Hi, my season is over and I have started to think about some kind of training for summer. The only problem I have is that I have no idea what to do!

So, I need some kind of all-around workout, but because I'm growing height yet, I can't use any weights.

Give me some tips, what would work to find the next level in my game next season!

Old
04-24-2013, 03:35 PM
McDugan

squat thrusts (with a push-up in the middle is optional)

by which i mean,

Start standing
1. drop to squatting position
2. kick legs out into plank/push-up position
(optional push-up
3. back to squat
4. back to standing
(also optional - do a jumping jack)
Repeat ad nauseum.

Can you do resistance band stuff? Great for working the same muscle groups as weights but with less injury risk.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:37 AM
TMLOBI

How old are you? I think the not using weights thing is for small children whose bones aren't developed enough. And I may be wrong but I think it is mostly hogwash anyways.

All around strength building program? Try Stronglifts 5x5. You'll get your squat up in no time and be much stronger. If you do decide to use weights remember FORM is more important than the weight on the bar. If you don't master form do not add weight. It's simple. Don't let your ego or your friends ego get in the way.

Now if you're determined not to use weights then I can recommend a few things yet. Box jumps (google it if you don't know already) and agility dot patterns. The jumps will get your explosiveness up and the patterns will increase your agility. Both of these are proven to add to your on ice game. Sprinting will also help with on ice speed. Cardio like jogging is good but make sure you don't lose weight and eat enough to still grow (unless your fat then maybe some cardio is a good thing).

Another thing that is important is to go shoot some freaking pucks. You know how many pucks Crosby has shot off ice in his life? Neither does he because it's in the millions. Go out and stick handle with a tennis ball or puck as well. Lots of great youtube videos on how to stick handle and shoot. Even the best players are always trying to learn and get better even with something as beginner like "shooting a puck".

SKILL is more important at a young age than systems or positioning. But on ice instinct might be most important. Watch some high light reels or games and analyze what players in your position are doing. Try to get a better sense of where the flow of the game is so you can capitalize on your opponents mistakes. Good goal scorers always seem to know where to be at the right time.

Well I hope this helps you. Good luck

Old
04-25-2013, 02:39 AM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

I'd suggest checking out ***********/r/bodyweightfitness.

Check community. Read the sidebar/faq and construct a routine.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:56 AM
American in Paris

+1 for Stonglifts 5X5

You can and should use weights. Just start with an empty bar to practice your form in the beginning and work your way up to a weight that feels difficult.

The squat and deadlift are the two key exercises. You can also add explosive squats and cleans with less weight to train your fast twitch muscles.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:09 AM
finnishdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
How old are you? I think the not using weights thing is for small children whose bones aren't developed enough. And I may be wrong but I think it is mostly hogwash anyways.

All around strength building program? Try Stronglifts 5x5. You'll get your squat up in no time and be much stronger. If you do decide to use weights remember FORM is more important than the weight on the bar. If you don't master form do not add weight. It's simple. Don't let your ego or your friends ego get in the way.

Now if you're determined not to use weights then I can recommend a few things yet. Box jumps (google it if you don't know already) and agility dot patterns. The jumps will get your explosiveness up and the patterns will increase your agility. Both of these are proven to add to your on ice game. Sprinting will also help with on ice speed. Cardio like jogging is good but make sure you don't lose weight and eat enough to still grow (unless your fat then maybe some cardio is a good thing).

Another thing that is important is to go shoot some freaking pucks. You know how many pucks Crosby has shot off ice in his life? Neither does he because it's in the millions. Go out and stick handle with a tennis ball or puck as well. Lots of great youtube videos on how to stick handle and shoot. Even the best players are always trying to learn and get better even with something as beginner like "shooting a puck".

SKILL is more important at a young age than systems or positioning. But on ice instinct might be most important. Watch some high light reels or games and analyze what players in your position are doing. Try to get a better sense of where the flow of the game is so you can capitalize on your opponents mistakes. Good goal scorers always seem to know where to be at the right time.

Well I hope this helps you. Good luck
I'm 13. My coach said that training with weights will spoil my back and hurt my growing.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:15 AM
finnishdman

double post

Old
04-25-2013, 08:00 AM
American in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnishdman View Post
I'm 13. My coach said that training with weights will spoil my back and hurt my growing.
So you don't wear a back pack to school or help your parents carry in groceries then, right?

The human body can benefit from weight training at any age. The key is to obsessively lift with proper form and to lift weights that correspond to your body-type and maturity. Start with an empty bar and gradually add weight (over several weeks) until 5X5 leaves your legs feeling tired. If your muscles are sore for a day or two, you've done the job right.

I guarantee you'll get better results than doing body weight squats.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:03 AM
ATLhockey437

I was a little kid at 13 (probably 5'4-5'6) and my parents didnt want me using weights either. I had a good hockey IQ and was a great passer so I learned how to make the most out of my positioning and passing. As a defenseman, I idolized player like Timmonen and formed my game after his style. Just because someone on the internet says don't worry about the weights stunting your growth doesn't mean you'll be fine. Do some research on this issue before deciding if you want to go into right into the weights or not.

I would recommend getting a pull up bar first. Get your body use to working out and build some muscle before you jump right into the weights. A pull up bar can also be placed on the floor for pushups as well.

Along with the pull up bar, do ab excercises so that you can build your core. Planks, side planks, bicycle crunches.

Look up what a fore arm developer is too. You can make one yourself and using this will benefit your snap/wrist shot release and give you quicker hands. Wall sits are a great home workout for leg strength too.

If you decide to go with a pull up bar, start out small. You'll be able to increase the amount of reps within a week or two since you're young.
3x5 pullups/chinups
3x10 pushups
3x 30-60 second planks
3x 30-60 side planks
3x 30 second bicycle crunches

Rest 45 sec-1 minute between each set of workouts.

Don't know much about leg bodyweight workouts you can do at home, but wall sits are great and there are tons of videos on youtube on this subject. Listen to what other posters have said about box jumps and drills to improve explosiveness. For example, put a stick on the ground and jump over it side to side with one leg. Squats and deadlifts are key if you decide to jump right into the weights.

Also since you're young, you may not feel as sore but don't workout every day. Your muscles need time to recover.

Last but not least, buy some whey protein and a shake mixer and make a protein drink after each workout. This is crucial into building muscle. Look up healthy foods high in protein and snack on fruits. Being 13 (and a hockey player) you probably have great metabolism. So eat healthy and as much as you can, your body will need to intake more calories than your burning so that the weight you gain will turn into muscles rather than just fat.

Sorry for this long post but good luck and don't get lazy.

Remember to stickhandle and shoot pucks 30 minutes to an hour every day.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:02 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
So you don't wear a back pack to school or help your parents carry in groceries then, right?

The human body can benefit from weight training at any age. The key is to obsessively lift with proper form and to lift weights that correspond to your body-type and maturity. Start with an empty bar and gradually add weight (over several weeks) until 5X5 leaves your legs feeling tired. If your muscles are sore for a day or two, you've done the job right.

I guarantee you'll get better results than doing body weight squats.
It isn't natural for a growing boy to be lifting heavy weights over and over again. I've witnessed high school kids have their bones break in half while lifting weights for hockey training. He has the right idea but using bodyweight strength training with cardio

Old
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You're 13?

Are you in decent shape already, or too skinny or overweight?

How tall are you compared with your parents?

Old
04-25-2013, 01:26 PM
finnishdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You're 13?

Are you in decent shape already, or too skinny or overweight?

How tall are you compared with your parents?
I'm in good shape, maybe a bit skinny. I'm 5'8" and my mother is 5'6" and dad 5'9", so probably I'm going to grow biggger than my parents.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnishdman View Post
Hi, my season is over and I have started to think about some kind of training for summer. The only problem I have is that I have no idea what to do!

So, I need some kind of all-around workout, but because I'm growing height yet, I can't use any weights.

Give me some tips, what would work to find the next level in my game next season!
Even though your growing does not mean you cant use weights. Yet depending on your age and if you are young (under 15) I would say limit the use of weights especially heavy ones.

Yet no matter what your age is, the problem with athletes today is that everyone believes that lifting weights and eating a lot (especially protein) is what makes you bigger/stronger. And being bigger and stronger means you are a better athlete or worse... a better hockey player.

So many misconceptions when it comes to nutrition/diet and strength and conditioning. You should talk to a personal trainer who specializes in athletic training and preferably hockey.

Matt Duchene more energized through changed training regime
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...energized-this

One of the best hockey related training articles I read. Explains quite well how functional training and a better diet can immediately make you a better athlete and thus a better hockey player.

---If you wish to know more, please pvt message me. I have researched and studied athletic training as well as use it in my own daily training for years now--

Old
04-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Thesensation19

Also,

The legs feed the wolf. You dont see the best hockey players having the biggest upper bodies but I guarantee you they are the best skaters and in todays generation of great players they all have great balance.

No matter what your age is, squats/push ups/pull ups never get old and have always proved to be a great work out in any sport.

Gymnastic style training is awesome too. Improve your overall balance, stability, core. Your back your abs.

Crossfit is becoming a prolific training and though many of the top athletes say they dont specifically do crossfit they do agree that their work outs is very related to it. Crossfit is high intensity workouts that combine the best efforts of plyometrics, gymnastics and olympic weightlifting. Exactly what the great Soviet Dynasty training use to be like. Its about focus and doing work outs right.

Its not about reps. Its not about sets. Its about focus, proper form and much more. Do your hw, see a professional and i am here to always answer any messages. Private message me

Old
04-25-2013, 10:43 PM
YEAHSO
Yer opinion is wrong

You're 13?

Just stick to cardio and just stay active in general. Weight training could very well do negative things to your body at that age. Your body is going to grow a lot naturally over the next 4 years anyway. Just stay active so you don't get fat and won't need the few weeks at the start of the season to get back into rhythm.

You really need to know what you're doing when you weight train.

You're better off using that time practising your shot or something in the drive way.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:28 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

Yet no matter what your age is, the problem with athletes today is that everyone believes that lifting weights and eating a lot (especially protein) is what makes you bigger/stronger. And being bigger and stronger means you are a better athlete or worse... a better hockey player.

So many misconceptions when it comes to nutrition/diet and strength and conditioning. You should talk to a personal trainer who specializes in athletic training and preferably hockey.
So I won't get stronger by lifting weights and eating enough? Are you for real? I guess a couple bowls of rice and lots of sitting around is going to make me big and strong. Sigh

The ONLY way you can get bigger is by eating at a calorie surplus. If you eat less calories than you use you will lose weight, eat more you will gain weight. Pretty simple really. Of course your body will react differently to the amount of exercise being performed. If you eat at a calorie surplus and just sit around playing video games and watching TV you'll find yourself becoming fat. Progressive load weights and see what happens. Anyone ever get big and strong from not lifting? As far as protein goes I agree you don't need a ridiculous amount but you still need quite a bit as this is the macro nutrient that rebuilds your muscles.

I'd say about 90% of personal trainers are morons. Some will have you squat while balancing on a bosu ball. Then when someone falls off injuring themselves they wonder why they get sued. Most personal trainers take a 1 month course lol.

Anyways if you don't want to lift weights then don't. I say do some box jumps, dot patterns and sprint for explosiveness and agility. Also SHOOT tonne of pucks and improve your shot. If you can get to a rink then to the rink and practice skating. Get some power skating instruction.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:38 AM
TMLOBI

Quote:
LOL yes the evil carbs were what made him fat and cutting them out is what made him leaner. JESUS even at the pro level they're clueless. Yes there are still many many misconceptions with nutrition.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
The ONLY way you can get bigger is by eating at a calorie surplus. If you eat less calories than you use you will lose weight, eat more you will gain weight. Pretty simple really.
The OP is 13 years old. Way too young to get into GOMAD and 5x5 and all that.

Honestly to the OP, I would send an e-mail to Dan John (Google for his website and click the e-mail link) and ask if he's got a program for a teenage athlete. He is probably the most down to Earth trainer with more common sense and experience that just about any Internet expert out there. He also has experience coaching teenagers in getting stronger and better at their sports.

At your age, I think things like this are good:
- playing all kinds of sports with your friends (doesn't have to be organized)
- getting a ton of sleep
- eat fresh meat and veggies sometimes if you don't already
- have fun, hang out with your friends, and enjoy being a teen
- pushups, pullups, jumping, throwing, swimming, running, walking

I think things like this aren't good at your age:
- obsessing over what you eat or your body
- starting any weightlifting programs that promise to make you big and strong
- only eating junk food and drinking soda
- alcohol, tobacco, and drugs

Old
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

if this is your off season hit the weights hard dude.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
finnishdman

Thanks for all advice you have been given. All of them have been helpful.

Just asked help from Dan John via email, now just waiting for answer and if he can't help, I'll keep searching for advice.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Hal2000

Quote:
Even though your growing does not mean you cant use weights. Yet depending on your age and if you are young (under 15) I would say limit the use of weights especially heavy ones.

Matt Duchene more energized through changed training regime
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...energized-this

One of the best hockey related training articles I read. Explains quite well how functional training and a better diet can immediately make you a better athlete and thus a better hockey player.

---If you wish to know more, please pvt message me. I have researched and studied athletic training as well as use it in my own daily training for years now--

Which is why a home-workout program such as p90x/p90x2 may be a good option IMO. Functional fitness that targets all areas of the body

Old
04-26-2013, 03:02 PM
ATLhockey437

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
if this is your off season hit the weights hard dude.
Did you not read the OP? The kid is 13 and is going to do damage to his body if he takes your advice. No 13 y/o should be hitting the weights hard.

He needs to get a pull up bar and stick with push ups and pull ups and develop his core a little bit. Also keeping cardio in tact.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:31 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Did you not read the OP? The kid is 13 and is going to do damage to his body if he takes your advice. No 13 y/o should be hitting the weights hard.

He needs to get a pull up bar and stick with push ups and pull ups and develop his core a little bit. Also keeping cardio in tact.
weights can only do good.

there's a reason you now see 15 year olds pushing 200 lbs now.

do weights. and eat lots
do cardio obviously also.

Monday - Legs (squats deadlifts, leg press)
Tuesday - Shoulders (DB military press, and various raises)
Wednesday - Cardio
Thursday - Back (db rows, chin ups wide/close, cable rows, barbell rows)
Friday - Chest (flat bench, incline bench, incline flyes, flat flyes)

throw some bicep workings on back
throw some tricep workouts on chest day

Saturday do HIT training
Sunday rest

eat your carbs in the morning (oatmeal/omlette/ oj)
snack at 10 (pb sandwhich)
chicken/rice at lunch
snack at 3 (pb sandwhich)
protein shake after workout
chicken/rice/veggies for supper
cottage cheese/peanut butter right before bed

Old
04-30-2013, 08:45 AM
ATLhockey437

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
weights can only do good.

there's a reason you now see 15 year olds pushing 200 lbs now.
Again, kid is 13 (not 15). Most dudes, hit puberty around this age. He doesn't need to rush into things and needs to let nature take its course.

The reason you may see 15 year olds working out is because they've probably already hit puberty and naturally they're body can handle it.

I was in this kid's shoes at his age and a bunch of my friends started working out too early. Most of them now aren't above 5'10 and have upperbodies that are out of proportion looking like guidos.

Would you not agree that it's probably a safer route and not as much of a gamble if the kid just stuck with natural bodyweight workouts to build a core during this summer and then see if he wants to get into weightlifting next season?

Also, his coach told him not to get into weights (it helps to read threads), so I'd imagine he would take his coaches advice versus a stranger on the internet.

Closed Thread