HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
04-24-2013, 08:36 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Can you link to something that confirms that?
I don't have a link to confirm it but I'm 100% positive of it. I've read it numerous times on twitter from reliable sources.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:12 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

we've scored 10 goals in the last 2 games, and Briere has not factored in on any of them

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:15 AM
dats81

I think the only reason to play Briere is to show he is healthy now to maybe -MAYBE- find a trading partner in the offseason.

Anything, even a conditional pick, is better than getting nothing for him in a buyout scenario.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I think the only reason to play Briere is to show he is healthy now to maybe -MAYBE- find a trading partner in the offseason.

Anything, even a conditional pick, is better than getting nothing for him in a buyout scenario.
I disagree

Briere should be shut down for the season so that Homer can make it clear to us fans that he won't be on this team next season. Whether that's by trade or buy-out. If he's healthy, people already know he can play.

The more he plays, the bigger chance he has to get injured, meanign we won't be able to move him

Old
04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I disagree

Briere should be shut down for the season so that Homer can make it clear to us fans that he won't be on this team next season. Whether that's by trade or buy-out. If he's healthy, people already know he can play.

The more he plays, the bigger chance he has to get injured, meanign we won't be able to move him
i wont be at all suprized if Briere comes up with a mystery concussion or semi-long lasting injury on the last game of the year..

not suprized AT ALL..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Can you link to something that confirms that?
It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Briere has a NMC, so he can't even be put on waivers without his blessing, right? If he had to clear waivers to be bought out, but couldn't be put on waivers, then presumably he couldn't be bought out--which no one has suggested is the case.

I believe that the waivers requirement only related to the two in-season amnesties.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Briere has a NMC, so he can't even be put on waivers without his blessing, right? If he had to clear waivers to be bought out, but couldn't be put on waivers, then presumably he couldn't be bought out--which no one has suggested is the case.

I believe that the waivers requirement only related to the two in-season amnesties.
I agree, but people on the main boards insist players like Luongo won't ever be bought out because they would have to go waivers first and another team would claim them.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:29 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
I agree, but people on the main boards insist players like Luongo won't ever be bought out because they would have to go waivers first and another team would claim them.
Yes they do, but they too are unaware. The waivers was JUST for the in-season amnesties. In order for the amnesties to be allowed to take place previous to this season beginning, the NHLPA insisted that passing through waivers was the only way they'd agree to them before this summer. The amnesties in the summer WILL NOT need to pass through waivers!!!!

I wish this post could be sticky'd on the trade board.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post

I really hope this is possible. Finding a willing trade partner would be amazing. In reality, I'd be shocked if any team was desperate/stupid enough to take on his contract. He is really a shell of his former self. Briere adds very little to any NHL team, and he has so many glaringly obvious deficiencies.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:24 AM
KaraLupin
카라

I've been hearing rumors of a Briere buyout this off-season.

But doesn't his cap-hit go down to 3 mill after this season??

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I've been hearing rumors of a Briere buyout this off-season.

But doesn't his cap-hit go down to 3 mill after this season??
His salary does, but the cap hit stays the same.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
His salary does, but the cap hit stays the same.
And they should scratch him for the last two games. If he gets hurt tonight or Sat. and can't be bought out because he's injured, Holmgren should be fired.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:16 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And they should scratch him for the last two games. If he gets hurt tonight or Sat. and can't be bought out because he's injured, Holmgren should be fired.
I agree 100%

Personally, I think he should have been shut down since the trade deadline because we couldn't move him then

Old
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Would love to see Briere scratched and give Akeson a shot.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:40 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Would love to see Briere scratched and give Akeson a shot.
I wouldn't care who replaced him. I don't think it could be any worse than what Briere has offered us lately

Old
04-25-2013, 11:29 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I wouldn't care who replaced him. I don't think it could be any worse than what Briere has offered us lately
How exactly is he playing differently from his usual form? Haven't been watching. Looking slow? Not showing enough passion? His offensive vision slipping?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
How exactly is he playing differently from his usual form? Haven't been watching. Looking slow? Not showing enough passion? His offensive vision slipping?
Pretty much all of those. He doesn't look anything like Briere. He used to be a beast around the net, now he sucks there. He actually tried to bury a wraparound into the side of the net recently. He looks his size now and can no longer hold his own; he gets knocked off the puck routinely and gets bullied around in ways we haven't seen until this season. He isn't connecting on passes. He makes the wrong choices overall.

No idea about the passion. I would like to see him score one more goal as a Flyer for old times sake, but that's looking like a tall order. He's gone 19 games without a goal, and has 8 points in that same span...4 of those points came in February.

Even if his cap hit changed to 3 million due to some sort of magic, he wouldn't be worth it because he's a black hole on offense and isn't good defensively. It seems he's suffering the same fate as Gomez...good career until he suddenly sucked profoundly.

04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Pretty much all of those. He doesn't look anything like Briere. He used to be a beast around the net, now he sucks there. He actually tried to bury a wraparound into the side of the net recently. He looks his size now and can no longer hold his own; he gets knocked off the puck routinely and gets bullied around in ways we haven't seen until this season. He isn't connecting on passes. He makes the wrong choices overall.

No idea about the passion. I would like to see him score one more goal as a Flyer for old times sake, but that's looking like a tall order. He's gone 19 games without a goal, and has 8 points in that same span...4 of those points came in February.

Even if his cap hit changed to 3 million due to some sort of magic, he wouldn't be worth it because he's a black hole on offense and isn't good defensively. It seems he's suffering the same fate as Gomez...good career until he suddenly sucked profoundly.
Thanks.

Well to be fair, he is definitely up there in age, this definitely sounds like he is going into his retirement phase.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

The similarities between he and Gomez are astounding in that regard. Briere lasted a bit longer, but it's just crazy how they went from 60-0 in about 5 seconds.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Curufinwe

If Briere had gone off the cliff at 30 like Gomez did the Flyers would have been completely screwed.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:08 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Call me crazy, but I think St. Louis will suffer the same fate, and TB will regret that contract extension.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I think St. Louis will suffer the same fate, and TB will regret that contract extension.
There's always a strong chance at his age, but elite players tend to have better longevity than the average player.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Tripod

Quote:
He only has two years left...St.Louis will be fine

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:07 AM
DickTony

Quote:
He's about to win the Art Ross, for a second time, and become the oldest player to ever win that trophy. Those players are not in the same echelon as Danny Briere. He may have a history of clutch scoring, but to suggest he's the same pedigree of player is asinine.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:40 AM
OzFlyer

It'a amazing that Tampa can have two players in Art Ross contention and still be at the bottom of the league!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote