HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2013, 08:36 AM
  #951
SchennSational1022*
The Future
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Can you link to something that confirms that?
I don't have a link to confirm it but I'm 100% positive of it. I've read it numerous times on twitter from reliable sources.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:12 AM
  #952
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,908
vCash: 500
we've scored 10 goals in the last 2 games, and Briere has not factored in on any of them

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:15 AM
  #953
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
I think the only reason to play Briere is to show he is healthy now to maybe -MAYBE- find a trading partner in the offseason.

Anything, even a conditional pick, is better than getting nothing for him in a buyout scenario.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
  #954
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I think the only reason to play Briere is to show he is healthy now to maybe -MAYBE- find a trading partner in the offseason.

Anything, even a conditional pick, is better than getting nothing for him in a buyout scenario.
I disagree

Briere should be shut down for the season so that Homer can make it clear to us fans that he won't be on this team next season. Whether that's by trade or buy-out. If he's healthy, people already know he can play.

The more he plays, the bigger chance he has to get injured, meanign we won't be able to move him

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
  #955
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 11,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I disagree

Briere should be shut down for the season so that Homer can make it clear to us fans that he won't be on this team next season. Whether that's by trade or buy-out. If he's healthy, people already know he can play.

The more he plays, the bigger chance he has to get injured, meanign we won't be able to move him
i wont be at all suprized if Briere comes up with a mystery concussion or semi-long lasting injury on the last game of the year..

not suprized AT ALL..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
  #956
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Can you link to something that confirms that?
It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Briere has a NMC, so he can't even be put on waivers without his blessing, right? If he had to clear waivers to be bought out, but couldn't be put on waivers, then presumably he couldn't be bought out--which no one has suggested is the case.

I believe that the waivers requirement only related to the two in-season amnesties.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:26 AM
  #957
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Briere has a NMC, so he can't even be put on waivers without his blessing, right? If he had to clear waivers to be bought out, but couldn't be put on waivers, then presumably he couldn't be bought out--which no one has suggested is the case.

I believe that the waivers requirement only related to the two in-season amnesties.
I agree, but people on the main boards insist players like Luongo won't ever be bought out because they would have to go waivers first and another team would claim them.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:29 AM
  #958
SchennSational1022*
The Future
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I agree, but people on the main boards insist players like Luongo won't ever be bought out because they would have to go waivers first and another team would claim them.
Yes they do, but they too are unaware. The waivers was JUST for the in-season amnesties. In order for the amnesties to be allowed to take place previous to this season beginning, the NHLPA insisted that passing through waivers was the only way they'd agree to them before this summer. The amnesties in the summer WILL NOT need to pass through waivers!!!!

I wish this post could be sticky'd on the trade board.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
  #959
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I think the only reason to play Briere is to show he is healthy now to maybe -MAYBE- find a trading partner in the offseason.

Anything, even a conditional pick, is better than getting nothing for him in a buyout scenario.
I really hope this is possible. Finding a willing trade partner would be amazing. In reality, I'd be shocked if any team was desperate/stupid enough to take on his contract. He is really a shell of his former self. Briere adds very little to any NHL team, and he has so many glaringly obvious deficiencies.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:24 AM
  #960
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
I've been hearing rumors of a Briere buyout this off-season.

But doesn't his cap-hit go down to 3 mill after this season??

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
  #961
nevermore
Cap space since 2005
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I've been hearing rumors of a Briere buyout this off-season.

But doesn't his cap-hit go down to 3 mill after this season??
His salary does, but the cap hit stays the same.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:33 AM
  #962
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
His salary does, but the cap hit stays the same.
And they should scratch him for the last two games. If he gets hurt tonight or Sat. and can't be bought out because he's injured, Holmgren should be fired.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  #963
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And they should scratch him for the last two games. If he gets hurt tonight or Sat. and can't be bought out because he's injured, Holmgren should be fired.
I agree 100%

Personally, I think he should have been shut down since the trade deadline because we couldn't move him then

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
  #964
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,976
vCash: 500
Would love to see Briere scratched and give Akeson a shot.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:40 AM
  #965
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Would love to see Briere scratched and give Akeson a shot.
I wouldn't care who replaced him. I don't think it could be any worse than what Briere has offered us lately

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:29 AM
  #966
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I wouldn't care who replaced him. I don't think it could be any worse than what Briere has offered us lately
How exactly is he playing differently from his usual form? Haven't been watching. Looking slow? Not showing enough passion? His offensive vision slipping?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
  #967
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,836
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
How exactly is he playing differently from his usual form? Haven't been watching. Looking slow? Not showing enough passion? His offensive vision slipping?
Pretty much all of those. He doesn't look anything like Briere. He used to be a beast around the net, now he sucks there. He actually tried to bury a wraparound into the side of the net recently. He looks his size now and can no longer hold his own; he gets knocked off the puck routinely and gets bullied around in ways we haven't seen until this season. He isn't connecting on passes. He makes the wrong choices overall.

No idea about the passion. I would like to see him score one more goal as a Flyer for old times sake, but that's looking like a tall order. He's gone 19 games without a goal, and has 8 points in that same span...4 of those points came in February.

Even if his cap hit changed to 3 million due to some sort of magic, he wouldn't be worth it because he's a black hole on offense and isn't good defensively. It seems he's suffering the same fate as Gomez...good career until he suddenly sucked profoundly.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
  #968
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Pretty much all of those. He doesn't look anything like Briere. He used to be a beast around the net, now he sucks there. He actually tried to bury a wraparound into the side of the net recently. He looks his size now and can no longer hold his own; he gets knocked off the puck routinely and gets bullied around in ways we haven't seen until this season. He isn't connecting on passes. He makes the wrong choices overall.

No idea about the passion. I would like to see him score one more goal as a Flyer for old times sake, but that's looking like a tall order. He's gone 19 games without a goal, and has 8 points in that same span...4 of those points came in February.

Even if his cap hit changed to 3 million due to some sort of magic, he wouldn't be worth it because he's a black hole on offense and isn't good defensively. It seems he's suffering the same fate as Gomez...good career until he suddenly sucked profoundly.
Thanks.

Well to be fair, he is definitely up there in age, this definitely sounds like he is going into his retirement phase.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
  #969
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89
 
JDinklage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 10,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Pretty much all of those. He doesn't look anything like Briere. He used to be a beast around the net, now he sucks there. He actually tried to bury a wraparound into the side of the net recently. He looks his size now and can no longer hold his own; he gets knocked off the puck routinely and gets bullied around in ways we haven't seen until this season. He isn't connecting on passes. He makes the wrong choices overall.

No idea about the passion. I would like to see him score one more goal as a Flyer for old times sake, but that's looking like a tall order. He's gone 19 games without a goal, and has 8 points in that same span...4 of those points came in February.

Even if his cap hit changed to 3 million due to some sort of magic, he wouldn't be worth it because he's a black hole on offense and isn't good defensively. It seems he's suffering the same fate as Gomez...good career until he suddenly sucked profoundly.


The similarities between he and Gomez are astounding in that regard. Briere lasted a bit longer, but it's just crazy how they went from 60-0 in about 5 seconds.

__________________
"People usually get what's coming to them, unless it has been mailed."
-Fred Shero
JDinklage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:47 PM
  #970
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
If Briere had gone off the cliff at 30 like Gomez did the Flyers would have been completely screwed.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:08 PM
  #971
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Call me crazy, but I think St. Louis will suffer the same fate, and TB will regret that contract extension.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:17 PM
  #972
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Call me crazy, but I think St. Louis will suffer the same fate, and TB will regret that contract extension.
There's always a strong chance at his age, but elite players tend to have better longevity than the average player.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
  #973
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Call me crazy, but I think St. Louis will suffer the same fate, and TB will regret that contract extension.
He only has two years left...St.Louis will be fine

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:07 AM
  #974
DickTony
Registered User
 
DickTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Call me crazy, but I think St. Louis will suffer the same fate, and TB will regret that contract extension.
He's about to win the Art Ross, for a second time, and become the oldest player to ever win that trophy. Those players are not in the same echelon as Danny Briere. He may have a history of clutch scoring, but to suggest he's the same pedigree of player is asinine.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:40 AM
  #975
OzFlyer
Registered User
 
OzFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
It'a amazing that Tampa can have two players in Art Ross contention and still be at the bottom of the league!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.