HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Defiance - Renewed for 2nd Season

Old
04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Green Blob*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
The first half of the show was almost directly the plot of the first episode of Revolution.

Family (in Revolution, it was daughter/son, in Defiance, it was father/daughter) gets sieged by some outside force (Revolution - Government officials, Defiance - Riders) and wind up in the rebuilt city of an American city (Revolution - Chicago, Defiance - St. Louis)

First stop for information is a bar, owned by a relative of a main character. Unfortunately, before the main group is able to leave the city, they're attacked again by a group bent on the destruction of the city/group.

You can't tell me it's not similar.
Come on man, thats REALLY reaching. The whole plot of the show show are about as different as could be. Getting attacked, going to a town, having it to do about characters that are kinda related doesn't make it them similar shows.

That is like me saying Game of Thrones is just like Revolution cause people are fighting in it, there is a ruler in he bad guy faction, and it takes place outside half the time.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

They're both dystopian worlds after a singular event (human-alien war, no power) where the good people struggle to survive vs. the big baddies who have some master plan.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
They're both dystopian worlds after a singular event (human-alien war, no power) where the good people struggle to survive vs. the big baddies who have some master plan.
isnt that every action tv series?

Old
04-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Well its easily better than Revolution and Terranova.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Well its easily better than Revolution and Terranova.
We'll see. It's only one episode. Though if it makes it past the 2nd without being completely unwatchable, it'll be better than Revolution at least.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:48 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

The absence of Charlie automatically makes it better than Revolution.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Well no time travel and a premise that doesn't even "nano machines" helps.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Kurtz

The story wasn't half bad. CGI was sloppy. The acting generally mediocre. It does give off a Firefly vibe, but only if Firefly was completely devoid of humour and rich, funny and complex characters.

Overall, I'd say it's worth another look...but just barely.

Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:23 AM
clefty
What?

I watched it too. Seems fine I guess, but I cringed a lot. The emo looking alien kid, the made up swear words, and of all the cliche 'inspiring speeches' I've seen, that mayoral speech was perhaps the most cornball, cookie-cutter Hallmark one I can remember, which is saying something.

The challenge is going to be living up to the hype and justifying the price tag. The opening rated really well, but people tend to switch off if the hype machine builds up heavy expectations for a show and it isn't awesome very quickly. Just okay won't be good enough.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Green Blob*

Tonights ep was ok, they are obviously still building up the characters so its tough to get into the meat and potatoes of the story. Thinking by the 4th ep it will really get good, we shall see.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Watched the first episode and it was okay, slow start but there was enough there to keep me interested in another episode. Will probably watch the second tonight and see what happens.

Irisa reminded me of Leeloo in the Fifth Element.

Fluff Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

thought last nights episode was decent, will keep watching for now.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Better than the 2nd Terra Nova episode and I stuck with that a little while longer so might as well stick with this one.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Universe was by far the best Stargate. I loved SG1 from a nostaglia perspective, it's what got my into SciFi, and Rodney McKay (David Hewlett) was the ONLY good thing about Atlantis so it was watchable once but Universe took Stargate to a whole other level, made the series respectable for serious fans. Mature characters, themes, better writing, better setting. Easily the best one.

Farscape sucked. Terrible, terrible show, I watched some of it just to lol at it, can't believe anybody could watch it.

I've never heard this Defiance show, looks interesting.
SG: Atlantis was the best for me, SG: Universe was given up on way too quickly and that still pisses me off. If you think Rodney was the only good thing about Atlantis, I...I hate you.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:40 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Didn't think it was great, but it wasn't terrible either.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:18 AM
MadDevil

This show is like some strange mix of Revolution, Firefly, and Farscape (which was also written by O'Bannon).

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Tonights ep was ok, they are obviously still building up the characters so its tough to get into the meat and potatoes of the story. Thinking by the 4th ep it will really get good, we shall see.
Yep. This is how I felt about the second episode as well. For some reason though, I thought they would try to build up Irisa's character first. Looks like we get more of her and her visions in the next ep.

Fluff Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Green Blob*

Just got renewed for a second season.

No surprise really, ratings have been pretty good.

Ive enjoyed it so far.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Glad to hear it will be back for another season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Lonewolfe2015

This show has been garbage overall. It's a shame good shows die on 'Syfy' so they can continue to support other junk.

Biggest crime was the cancellation of SGU, pulled the rug out from under it right when it was catching on. I've tried watching every ep of Defiance and even their epic battle scene attempt was overall pretty lame.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
This show has been garbage overall. It's a shame good shows die on 'Syfy' so they can continue to support other junk.

Biggest crime was the cancellation of SGU, pulled the rug out from under it right when it was catching on. I've tried watching every ep of Defiance and even their epic battle scene attempt was overall pretty lame.
Agreed completely.

I really really wanted to like this show. It had a great potential to be a politically motivated thriller, but it's turning into a cliche mess of terrible characters and stupid situations. That Hellbug episode was the last straw for me.

How great shows like SGU get cancelled for things like this I will never know.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:33 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Agreed completely.

I really really wanted to like this show. It had a great potential to be a politically motivated thriller, but it's turning into a cliche mess of terrible characters and stupid situations. That Hellbug episode was the last straw for me.

How great shows like SGU get cancelled for things like this I will never know.

The pilot episode had the writers failing to grasp the simplest form of computer science. Yeah great show, SGU is a ****ing **** show and its full of plot holes and awful characters.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
The pilot episode had the writers failing to grasp the simplest form of computer science. Yeah great show, SGU is a ****ing **** show and its full of plot holes and awful characters.
It took SGU until season 2 to finally answer for their initial plot holes and mistakes, but they did. Defiance I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt to, but I can't find anything I'm enjoying about it. Even the overall concept confuses me, how can St. Louis be buried underneath the city but the Arch is still intact above ground? Where did all of the strange bottlenecking mountains come from? Why are there no computers for the miners to use when there are aliens with plasma weapons? Why did the US collapse and have STL become Defiance but New York is still NY?

There is too much trying to be dropped on the audience at once and everywhere they go causes more questions and more confusion.

This show is terrible and I'm about to drop it like I did Alphas. Warehouse is the last show left on Syfy I've enjoyed and even this season got ruined attempting to make it entertaining enough to not be cancelled. NBC has screwed the channel over.

Amusingly, the best laugh I had was during the Big Bang Theory episode where they perfectly voiced my opinion on the channel and its decisions of late.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
It took SGU until season 2 to finally answer for their initial plot holes and mistakes, but they did. Defiance I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt to, but I can't find anything I'm enjoying about it. Even the overall concept confuses me, how can St. Louis be buried underneath the city but the Arch is still intact above ground? Where did all of the strange bottlenecking mountains come from? Why are there no computers for the miners to use when there are aliens with plasma weapons? Why did the US collapse and have STL become Defiance but New York is still NY?

There is too much trying to be dropped on the audience at once and everywhere they go causes more questions and more confusion.

This show is terrible and I'm about to drop it like I did Alphas. Warehouse is the last show left on Syfy I've enjoyed and even this season got ruined attempting to make it entertaining enough to not be cancelled. NBC has screwed the channel over.

Amusingly, the best laugh I had was during the Big Bang Theory episode where they perfectly voiced my opinion on the channel and its decisions of late.
I'm not defending Defiance, just can't stand SGU.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 1640
I got your back, bro. I don't like SGU, either.