HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

WJC: USA beats Sweden 4-3

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
WJC: USA beats Sweden 4-3

http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/12/196532.html

Parise two more assists, and the USA has the top standing in the Group A pool.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:42 PM
PEli*

The two points today moves Parise into the tournament lead in scoring over Anthony Stewart of Team Canada.

Parise now has 4G and 4A in only 3 games.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
This thread made my day. Can't wait to see Parise play for the Devils down the road. So far, he's doing everything in his power to make all the pre-draft hype sound pretty well convincing.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:46 PM
NJDraft

Conte on Zack

The New Jersey Devils made Parise the 17th overall pick in the June draft and Devils scout David Conte has liked what he has seen.

"He is a pretty versatile and competitive guy and if they asked him to kill penalties and be a checker, he would do that," Conte said. "If they asked him to be on the power play, he would do that."

Coach Mike Eaves has shown that he is not afraid to send Parise out in any situation.

"He is part of the leadership core," Eaves said after practice in this city about 65 miles north of Helsinki. "We have seen the same tireless, persistent effort throughout this tournament."

Eaves said what makes Parise a special player and a dangerous opponent is a combination of skill, determined effort and smarts.

"Now he has to do it (against stiffer) opponents," Eaves said.

Eaves was referring to Sweden and Russia, who are the Americans' foes Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.

Russia beat Austria 3-1 Monday and is in first place in the A Pool with five points, though the USA (2-0) has a game in hand. Sweden is third with two points.

The top three teams from each pool advance to the medal round, with the leader getting an automatic bye to the semifinals.

Parise is primed for some competitive games.

"I want to have that label as a key guy and when the game is on the line, I want the coach to look down the bench and put me out there," he said.

Parise likes the USA's chances of picking up a medal. The Americans have one silver and two bronze medals in world junior history.

"We have guys for specific roles," he said. "Coach Eaves picked a really good team by going out and picking maybe not the best 20 players, but the best team. We have guys who want to win and guys who want to compete and are in it together and there are no individual efforts at all. Hopefully, that is what separates us."

Old
12-30-2003, 03:46 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Again, I'd like to thank *the man* for trading up to get him.

Edit: If anyone thinks Parise is a liabilty on defense in the future, note the SH assist on the GW goal. Yes, he did see PK time.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
"I want to have that label as a key guy and when the game is on the line, I want the coach to look down the bench and put me out there," he said.
You got to love that!!!

Old
12-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
You got to love that!!!
Best quote from a Devils prospect I've read all week. Of course its the only one as well, but it still warrants a certain cause for preliminary mouth watering excitement.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:07 PM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Again, I'd like to thank *the man* for trading up to get him.

Edit: If anyone thinks Parise is a liabilty on defense in the future, note the SH assist on the GW goal. Yes, he did see PK time.
Devil player developement and coaching will make sure that Parise becomes a good TWO-WAY player in the nhl. He will learn to become a good defensive forward.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Devil player developement and coaching will make sure that Parise becomes a good TWO-WAY player in the nhl. He will learn to become a good defensive forward.
If he's not that already, then they'll just make him better! I really need to see him play, enough on reading about him.

Old
12-31-2003, 04:44 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Parise just scored to put USA up on Russia 2-0!!!

Old
12-31-2003, 05:42 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Parise with three more points (so far)!!! 11 in the tourney! As a fan of USA Hockey, I salute Lou and his scouting staff for their great wisdom!!!

Closed Thread