HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If you had to choose: Trade Schneider or Buy-Out Luongo?

Old
04-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 500
Schneider is hurt, can you imagine if it's somewhat serious and luongo steps in (after all the hf "experts" had him traded) and he comes out and steals a series or two, would be hilarious.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:37 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
the problem with Luongo's cap hit is not now or even in the next 3 years. It is in the remainder of the nearly infinite contract he is signed to when he will likely be burned out, need to have a different starting G on the team, and yet still be causing a fairly significant cap hit (unless the cap skyrockets but no one can predict that accurately right now). Trading for Luongo gets a team a good goalie now and a potential nightmare for multiple years later. I'd be pissed if my team signed up for that without Vancouver eating part of the mistake or taking a cap problem underperforming forward back as a reclamation project. Truth be told, I would be ambivalent even if we got him for free due to that ugly long term cap hitting contract (happy for next couple of years and hating our GM down the road).
I recognize the issue you are bringing up however I was responding to a question.

I guess the question I'd have is, if Miller didn't have concussion or attitude "issues" would you be willing to re-sign him for 8 years on his extension?

DJOpus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Schneider is hurt, can you imagine if it's somewhat serious and luongo steps in (after all the hf "experts" had him traded) and he comes out and steals a series or two, would be hilarious.
Do you one better

Say Schneids is out due to a groin pull and Lu comes in and takes the team to the SCF. Schneids recoveries and plays in the SCF and loses

What does Vancouver do at this time? Does Schneid's value go down? does Lu's go up seeing how he brought his team to the SCF twice in 3 years?

Vorkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
Do you one better

Say Schneids is out due to a groin pull and Lu comes in and takes the team to the SCF. Schneids recoveries and plays in the SCF and loses

What does Vancouver do at this time? Does Schneid's value go down? does Lu's go up seeing how he brought his team to the SCF twice in 3 years?
HF would implode.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Does anyone really think Luongo can't be moved?

I'll go with option C....Gillis lowers his price, deals Luongo for a pick and a B prospect and the Canucks go forward with Schnieder.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post

I'll go with option C....Gillis lowers his price, deals Luongo for a pick and a B prospect and the Canucks go forward with Schnieder.
I've missed you, Lifer.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
It's actually "9 years" Probably 6 that he'll actually play

I don't get why that is so hard for people to understand every long term contract is based on the player retiring early

Hossa, Zetterberg, Kovalchuk all have the same type of deals and I never hear a thing about them
That's only because their teams, unlike Luongo's are not trying to trade them.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Curufinwe

Kovalchuk is going to kill the Devils cap when he retires.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
That's only because their teams, unlike Luongo's are not trying to trade them.
They can see the writing on the wall.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
7thGuest

Quote:
the problem with Luongo's cap hit is not now or even in the next 3 years. It is in the remainder of the nearly infinite contract he is signed to
Remember some teams have problems reaching the cap floor. Luongo's contract is great for them because it adds to the cap but the owner does not have to pay much.

7thGuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I recognize the issue you are bringing up however I was responding to a question.

I guess the question I'd have is, if Miller didn't have concussion or attitude "issues" would you be willing to re-sign him for 8 years on his extension?
I would not be willing to resign Miller for 8 years. I would like to resign him for 3-4 years at $5-6M per year. Longer term than that and I'm gun shy and would lean towards trading him and going for a younger goaltender.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
I would not be willing to resign Miller for 8 years. I would like to resign him for 3-4 years at $5-6M per year. Longer term than that and I'm gun shy and would lean towards trading him and going for a younger goaltender.
Howard just got 5.3. The reason for the length of the Luongo deal is is because of the low cap hit. Miller, if he hits the market, will probably get 7 per, likely more if it's a 3-4 year deal.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Howard just got 5.3. The reason for the length of the Luongo deal is is because of the low cap hit. Miller, if he hits the market, will probably get 7 per, likely more if it's a 3-4 year deal.
Miller has not played well enough the last two years for seven.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:15 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:

You lower your price but no one is buying.

No one wants a 40+ year old 5M+ goalie.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:

Leafer, missed ya in these threads.

Quote:
That...actually isn't a terrible offer. I mean by no means great, but that beats the pants of what Dreger was insisting was the last offer (at the point I stopped taking him seriously as a journalist).

Scrivens is a throw away back up from where I'm sitting, but seeing how much Lu has played since the deadline, having someone with a little NHL experience would have been good. MacArthur would have been very handy the last few games with Higgins, Booth, Kassian, Kesler, etc all out at different points. Colborne and a second are "meh" additions, but still better then two seconds and Scrivens.
Aye, which is why I wrote Dreger off. It's a pretty big difference between what he said before. I could have lived with this offer, although I might have tried to get a different but similar tier prospect to Colborne. If this is in any way accurate, I suppose Gillis did not bite since MacArthur may struggle to keep up with MayRay on the third line.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:40 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
What would be better is if Luo starts because of injury and falls flat on his face. A disastrous playoff would easily make him untradeable without debate.
Now imagine that?

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:44 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGuest View Post
Remember some teams have problems reaching the cap floor. Luongo's contract is great for them because it adds to the cap but the owner does not have to pay much.
Some teams but for different reasons but its never a big problem. I do think it's in a way unfair for rebuilding teams because how did you go with a youth movement/rebuild without stripping down salaries. You don't pay a rookie 5 million a year?

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Prospector74

Quote:
And if that is the case, I'm for trading Miller and moving on. That is too much coin tied up in a goalie. Miller has done a lot for Buffalo but I feel he is overpaid at $6.25M now for what he has brought the last few seasons. I would only be willing to pay that type of money for a guy like Hasek in his prime years. Miller is a step below that - still above average but not someone I would see as the heart of a team that needs to be retained at all costs. This is not a knock on Miller.

Back to the thread: I think with Miller potentially available and a number of other goalies out there as options (Bryz might get bought out in addition to the UFA's out there - say all you want about Bryz but if my options are Luongo forever or Bryz short term and cheap and I'm not an elite team I'm going with Bryz), that what is offered for Luongo will be next to nothing. If the Canucks want to get rid of his salary...okay but there won't me much/if any return. If they want real assets back, you will need to trade Schneider.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGuest View Post
You bring up a good point. However, while there might be teams like the Islander this year who will find some use for expiring retirement contracts, note that there will be a plethora of such contracts out there at the same time. And when there is an oversupply, it becomes a buyer's market. No way you can squeeze gold out of Luongo's contract!

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
You lower your price but no one is buying.

No one wants a 40+ year old 5M+ goalie.
If the difference between shelling out millions in buyout money/trading Schnieder is dealing Luongo for a 2nd or 3rd and a mid prospect to say....FLA, which do you think they choose? Teams like TO and FLA were both interested, so obviously, the term isn't the issue....the price is.

Disclaimer: This post is only in regards to IF the Nucks are forced to choose between trading Cory or buying out Lu.....which i think is BS.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Alflives

Quote:
If the difference between shelling out millions in buyout money/trading Schnieder is dealing Luongo for a 2nd or 3rd and a mid prospect to say....FLA, which do you think they choose? Teams like TO and FLA were both interested, so obviously, the term isn't the issue....the price is.

Disclaimer: This post is only in regards to IF the Nucks are forced to choose between trading Cory or buying out Lu.....which i think is BS.
The market for Luongo (this summer) will be bigger than we expect. Winnipeg for one, is another team on the list. Why was Toronto even interested in Luongo? Reimer is a top ten goalie now, and the reason why the Leafs are in the play-offs.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
The market for Luongo (this summer) will be bigger than we expect. Winnipeg for one, is another team on the list. Why was Toronto even interested in Luongo? Reimer is a top ten goalie now, and the reason why the Leafs are in the play-offs.
Bwahaha.

James Reimer

13th in Wins
21st in Games Started
32nd in Goals Against Average
13th in Save Percentage
13th in Shut outs

Those aren't top 10 stats...

I mean jesus, I know you're happy you're finally in the playoffs after 9 years and Reimer helped get you there, but claiming he's a top 10 goalie is like saying Dan Cloutier is a perennial Vezina candidate

Old
04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I wasn't saying he'd be dealt to TO, i was saying he could be dealt to a number of locations if the price is low enough. FLA will happily take him on the cheap. They got clearence from management last season to take the contract. Markstrom has been ok, but not lights out.

And ya, Winnepeg, Jersey, Buffalo may all become players.

Last edited by Liferleafer: 04-25-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 01:16 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
Bwahaha.

James Reimer

13th in Wins
21st in Games Started
32nd in Goals Against Average
13th in Save Percentage
13th in Shut outs

Those aren't top 10 stats...

I mean jesus, I know you're happy you're finally in the playoffs after 9 years and Reimer helped get you there, but claiming he's a top 10 goalie is like saying Dan Cloutier is a perennial Vezina candidate
I don't think that he is a top ten goalie either, but, jesus, dude, don't get a job that involves statistics:

Reimer is:

9th in save percentage (not 13th)
11th (tied) in wins (Schneider is tied for 15th)
10th (tied) for shutouts (not 13th)
19th (tied) in GAA (not 32nd)
19 in games played (one game ahead of Schneider)
Overall record: 18-7-5 (Schneider's record is 17-9-4)

Given the defense that he is played with I think it is safe to say that if Reimer isn't in the top ten right now, he is certainly in the top 12 to 15 at the moment and headed upward.

Last edited by kihei: 04-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I don't think that he is a top ten goalie either, but, jesus, dude, don't get a job that involves statistics:

Reimer is:

9th in save percentage (not 13th)
11th (tied) in wins (Schneider is tied for 15th)
10th (tied) for shutouts (not 13th)
19th (tied) in GAA (not 32nd)
19 in games played (one game ahead of Schneider)
Overall record: 18-7-5 (Schneider's record is 17-9-4)

Given the defense that he is played with I think it is safe to say that if Reimer isn't in the top ten right now, he is certainly in the top 12 to 15 at the moment and headed upward.

Where are you getting your stats?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

That's where I'm getting mine