HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
04-03-2013, 04:33 PM
LaGu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I still remember Mike Bishai throwing haymakers from the Atlanta bench. I have a decent enough memory and still remember the Fergusons and Butenschons as well. And I definitely do NOT consider myself one of the more passionate fans hahaha (last time this team really made me feel down was Game 7 loss in 2006).

He was also on one of the earlier EA Sports games so I probably heard his name an extra amount from that too.
You win (against me anyway), and with a big margin.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:42 AM
Peter The Great

Good interview with Omark and I love what I hear, his goal is NHL, nothing else.

Highlights:
"In the top division (SEL, Sweden) several clubs has exited finished bid to Linus Omark and he could have continued in Switzerland.

But Omark has declined everything in Europe. The NHL is his goal.

- I've told my agent that when I'm finished with the NHL then I can go for Europe. But I know that I'm not finished there (NHL).

Linus Omark is determined to play in the NHL this fall.

- It has been all along, there's nothing strange about it. I had a great first season. Then I got injured last year and it ruined the whole season. Then I had intended to sign but then it became lockout and then I had to take a year in Europe. Switzerland I thought was best being a great league and I went for it. I got to play with (Henrik) Zetterberg and (Damien) Brunner and it's a great league, said Omark.

"The goal the whole time NHL"

- It was a fun year, but my goal has always been to go to the NHL.

Edmonton still owns the right of him in the NHL.

- You can make the most of the situation. If they sign me, they do. It's mostly up to them. I am ready for anything just I get to play there."

In Swedish:
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...ommit-med-bud/

A very funny Google translation. I love how Luleå is being translated to Dubai and "crap stimulating".
http://translate.google.com/translat...mit-med-bud%2F

Last edited by 21: 04-25-2013 at 04:58 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Ragss

Thanks.

What are the odds Mac T feels differently about Omark?

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:28 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Thanks.

What are the odds Mac T feels differently about Omark?
Zero

Omark and his apathy to defensive play would have been Schremp'd out of town 30 seconds into his first shift if Mact had been around to coach him.

Do hope the Oilers let him move on with his career though, he simply has no future here with this roster.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:11 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Zero

Omark and his apathy to defensive play would have been Schremp'd out of town 30 seconds into his first shift if Mact had been around to coach him.

Do hope the Oilers let him move on with his career though, he simply has no future here with this roster.
It's funny, right now I'd much rather be watching Omark with his issues than this roster of unskilled try-hards that don't try.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Beerfish

The Oilers as usual would rather let a player rot to teach him a lesson to not mouth off to the lord of mordor than to actually do something top help the team by dealing him and washing their hands of him.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The Oilers as usual would rather let a player rot to teach him a lesson to not mouth off to the lord of mordor than to actually do something top help the team by dealing him and washing their hands of him.
What makes you think anyone wants a player that isn't good enough to crack the Oilers joke squad?

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
It's funny, right now I'd much rather be watching Omark with his issues than this roster of unskilled try-hards that don't try.
That's more so because of the "myth" that Omark has taken on at this point. He's gone from skilled prospect with flaws in his game and a lack of size, to this ultra-skilled player who's being held back by the organization, or some such thing.

He wouldn't be much better to watch then anyone else, unless they just let the Oilers have shootouts instead of games.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:12 AM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
What makes you think anyone wants a player that isn't good enough to crack the Oilers joke squad?
Although I mostly agree, the Oilers are a team that is almost uniquely overloaded with smaller, high skill, offensive first forwards. Omark is a borderline top 6 offensive forward, but only on a team that's already gritty and defensively responsible and is desperate for a splash of skill. That's the opposite of the Oilers. Omark has no place here because he's a top 6 player or nothing, he's the wrong style for bottom 6 duties.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:17 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That's more so because of the "myth" that Omark has taken on at this point. He's gone from skilled prospect with flaws in his game and a lack of size, to this ultra-skilled player who's being held back by the organization, or some such thing.

He wouldn't be much better to watch then anyone else, unless they just let the Oilers have shootouts instead of games.
Nope. I remember what he was. He'd be, at worst, the third best puck-cycler on the team right now.

He might not help us win but at least we'd be a little more interesting to watch.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Right. Because Oilers management clearly has a good eye for spotting NHL talent and putting together great teams.

Everyone knows that Omark wasn't going to crack the roster this year because he isn't as good as Eberle, Yakupov, or Hemsky (arguable -- post-injury Hemsky is a pale shadow of his former self) and doesn't have the size and complete lack of offensive skill they demand in their 4th line players. Doesn't mean he's junk. Someone will take a chance on him. He'll get some more games in the NHL. Not with the Oilers, though, for the reason NeautralZone gave above.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Nope. I remember what he was. He'd be, at worst, the third best puck-cycler on the team right now.

He might not help us win but at least we'd be a little more interesting to watch.
Not unless you enjoy turn overs and soft play? You want more Belanger, he can win faceoffs.

Again, it's the myth. Omark doesn't bring anything unique to the table for the Oilers

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:11 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Not unless you enjoy turn overs and soft play? You want more Belanger, he can win faceoffs.

Again, it's the myth. Omark doesn't bring anything unique to the table for the Oilers
Well for one he can puck protect and cycle better than most of the roster. Turnovers and soft play? That's no different from just about every other Oiler, except Omark is at least capable of having an interesting shift (unlike our current bottom 6).

Old
04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Master Lok

hopefully Omark is worth something in a trade, perhaps a draft pick come draft day.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Rebirth

Omark had a great game for the Swedes against Russia today. Nice play in d zone and scored a beauty. From what I noticed he's in great shape and has taken his game to a new level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1L5F129zo0

Rebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebirth View Post
Omark had a great game for the Swedes against Russia today. Nice play in d zone and scored a beauty. From what I noticed he's in great shape and has taken his game to a new level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1L5F129zo0
it is WHC exhibition? or is it another tournament?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Rebirth

The WHC:s starts next week. This is the last tournament before the WHC:s and this weekends tournament decides who will be picked to the Swedish WHC team.

Rebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:03 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
hopefully Omark is worth something in a trade, perhaps a draft pick come draft day.
He's not and he won't be, because management will continue to let him rot instead of trying to build value.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:06 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
He's not and he won't be, because management will continue to let him rot instead of trying to build value.
Having him play in the NHL doesn't up his value any. Have you seen him play?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:13 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Having him play in the NHL doesn't up his value any. Have you seen him play?
Yes. I'm starting to wonder if anyone else around here has, though. He's a better possession player than a number of forwards who have had regular shifts with the Oilers this season.. should have brought him back as soon as possible and given him sheltered minutes to build value, rather than abandoning a legitimate asset for nothing. But instead lets keep letting Harti and Lander flop around out there on the second line.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Just give him to Detroit for nothing already. We don't need him, he'll never succeed here and it's just a waste of time. Let the guy move on. I still don't think he'll make it, but give him a chance if he's not going to get one here.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Yes. I'm starting to wonder if anyone else around here has, though. He's a better possession player than a number of forwards who have had regular shifts with the Oilers this season.. should have brought him back as soon as possible and given him sheltered minutes to build value, rather than abandoning a legitimate asset for nothing. But instead lets keep letting Harti and Lander flop around out there on the second line.
How come we've given guys like JFJ and Liam Reddox a bigger chance than a skilled player like Omark?

At this point there's no chance he has a future here, but it annoys me we only gave a guy with his talent 65 games. And he played pretty damn well for at least half of those. He was a beast along the boards with the puck despite his size. He sure gets a lot of unwarranted hate on here. He isn't arrogant, just confident. I've met him and he seemed like a really good guy.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:42 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Right. Because Oilers management clearly has a good eye for spotting NHL talent and putting together great teams. .
One of their traits is holding onto prospects well past the time they could get any value for them in trades.

Omark falls into that category. Whats he like 26 now, and was scratched in the championship game in the Swiss league?

The odds of him being a hidden gem are pretty long.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:46 AM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Would rather watch him than Ryan "Can't do anything" Smyth that's for sure. I think its time we move on and give him another chance with another organization. He is redundant here in our top 6. Might as well get what we can for him.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Yeah. I would not mind seeing Omark with Oilers next season. If we end up trading Hemsky/Pääjärvi, there might be a slot for him. In fact, I'd rather have cheap Omark than 5m Hemsky.

Kulleroinen is offline   Reply With Quote