HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matthieu Carle

Old
09-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Thundermare

vCash: 500
Matthieu Carle

Anybody saw him at camp?

How did he look?

What do you see in your Chrystal ball for him

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
Anybody saw him at camp?

How did he look?

What do you see in your Chrystal ball for him
I saw him at the development camp and he looked pretty good. Very good skater, smooth with the puck. Seemed to possess nice offensive instincts.

He got hit hard in game 1 of the rookie tournament yesterday and left the game. I'm not sure if he played in today's game.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Toro

i heard he was a scratch for todays game vs Florida

Hope he is ok for the next one

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Talent Analyst

He have the potential to be a regular NHLer , but I don't like his attitude ..

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Transported Upstater

Now, I haven't seen him play, but I've heard he has problems with hockey sense, foot speed and keeping wait off.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Now, I haven't seen him play, but I've heard he has problems with hockey sense, foot speed and keeping wait off.

Gee, for the Habs' sake, I hope someone can deny this.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Gee, for the Habs' sake, I hope someone can deny this.
Yeah, as I said I have no idea if this is true or not. I can count the amount of Q games I've been to my life on one hand.

Apparently he has excellent offensive ability, though.

Old
09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Toro

Quote:

I never heard that...

also

Don't tell me Wildone has been to the leafs board causing havoc as well.

Your quote of his is priceless

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I never heard that...

also

Don't tell me Wildone has been to the leafs board causing havoc as well.

Your quote of his is priceless

LOL, oh he's been there, all right...

Old
09-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:

From the bit I've watched, his foot speed doesn't seem to be a problem (though admittedly it was a very small sample). Hockey sense, defensively, might be a problem, as that was far from a focus of the camp.

His speed seems good, he has nice hands, and good offensive instincts. I don't know about the rest of his game.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:36 AM
The Prospector

Carle was one of the best D-man available at the last draft. He's got a great speed, not particularly explosive, but quite good. His offensive insticts are probably the best you'll get in the Q this year, it's tromendous. He's got awesome passes in PP what we call "tape-to-tape" passes. The only problem is his defensive play that needs a little bit of work. Some times he's minded offensive a little bit too much and he gets caught. He's more a risky defensman than others great like Marc-Édouard Vlasic (SJ) or even Kris Letang (Pit). Carle is normally strong on his skates and wins his 1 on 1 battle on the boards.

That's about it, from what i saw from him last year in the Q.

The Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Didn't like the pick at that time 'cause from what I've seen last year, I just didn't like the guy AND there's guys taken after him that will have, in my opinion, as d-man, a better NHL career, guys like Weber, Danis-Pepin, Junland, Strait and Ahnelov. And I'm not talking about the forwards that could have been taken like Geoffrion, Anisimov, Marchand, Forney, Armstrong....

Having said that, he kinda changed my mind when I saw him for a full week at the Dev. Camp. Though not the biggest by far, he's so smart with the puck, his passes are crisp, precise, nice positioning defensively but do miss that extra speed needed offensively like defensively.

That pick looks much better right now and we'll see how it turns down....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 10:47 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I've liked what I saw from Carle last year, although I've heard talk about problems with his conditioning I beleive, but haven't seen it. There's something about his skating that I think could use some work but I can't put my finger out it. I will hopefully see more of him this year and try and focus on his skating/foot speed. Clearly his best asset is his offensive skills, he racked up the points and should do the same this year. For me the real test will come in a year when he looks to make Hamilton's roster.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 12:10 AM
mayday199

Quote:

Based on the discussions I had with my friends who like myself watched Carle in town at least 4 times last year (the Acadie Bathurst Titan were in the same division as my hometown Seadogs) He defintely has the foot speed. No real explosiveness but quick enough to be picked out of Bathurt's defensive lineup by far. The rumors were he showed up to "Q" training Camp last year in the 220-230 pound range but slimmed down rather quickly to the 200 area, This seemed to be the reason he got the "Lazy" nametag linked to him.

Hockey sense looked OK but the thing you have to realize about his former team is they were an offensive juggernaut and got to play 2 expansion teams about 16 times ( I remember they beat my Seadogs by 8 goals at least twice). Carle would have had around 40-50 pts on an average team in the division. Its hard to judge his hockey sense but from what I saw he almost reminded me of watching a Forward play PP QB, but ALL THE TIME. Positionally he was ok but It looked like he wanted to play forward almost at times. Carle does pass really well.

I hoped the Candiens would pick him instead of Joe Ryan who I didnt get to see alot but seemed to be caste in the defensive defensiveman mode. Carle is a PP Quarterback, he has some hainsyish problems with his defensive hockey sense but hopefully that can be coached out of him. Will be a good replacement for markov on the PP in 5 years.

mayday199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:14 AM
The Prospector

Picking Joey Ryan instead of Carle would've been a TERRIBLE mistake. Believe me, from what I see, Ryan is HIGHLY overrated. He's got a great size and that's what makes him look so great, but he definetly doesn't fit in the new NHL style. He's the kind of guy to hook almost every shift and he doesn't have the speed to follow the new rules.

Carle is WAY better than Ryan, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Joey Ryan in an average team would've make... 15-20 pts and nobody would've pick Ryan...

Old
09-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Marc-E-

Could we say he's gonna be the next Patrice Brisebois?

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
Carle is WAY better than Ryan, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Joey Ryan in an average team would've make... 15-20 pts and nobody would've pick Ryan...
I would be willing to bet that at least 50% of the NHL teams had Ryan ahead of Carle on their draft lists, though. But that's an opinion, not a fact.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Habs4ever

i'd be very happy if he can reach that potential!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Could we say he's gonna be the next Patrice Brisebois?
I don't know why briseboise gets bashed on this forum considering he was our top defencemen for few years, maybe he didn't deserve it but ultimately he was very good player for us, now if you hate him for personal reasons thats not my problem!!

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:38 AM
The Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I would be willing to bet that at least 50% of the NHL teams had Ryan ahead of Carle on their draft lists, though. But that's an opinion, not a fact.
Well let me correct my sentence by saying, that Carle is way better offensively than Joey Ryan. That's a fact. But just because of his big size, Joey Ryan had an advantage on Carle last year, because Mathieu has more skills than Ryan, no questions about it.

Old
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Duster

Drafting Ben Maxwell just before may have allowed the team to choose a higher risk/higher ceiling player such as Carle. Without Maxwell, I wonder if Timmins would have chosen another player such as Ryan, for example.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 06:00 PM
the_crippler12

ma''t''hieu Carle

the_crippler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Weis
Rise Together

Nice return (2 goal, 5 assist) after his bad shift vs Toronto. Now lets hope that he gonna play a good game vs a better team tuesday. He cant do worse then his first game vs Toronto

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:03 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Drafting Ben Maxwell just before may have allowed the team to choose a higher risk/higher ceiling player such as Carle. Without Maxwell, I wonder if Timmins would have chosen another player such as Ryan, for example.
I think they decided to pick Carle the moment they traded their first pick for a 1rst round + 2nd round pick.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Well I would've pick a different duo Williams/Geoffrion or Anisimov/Weber or Danis-Pepin. You would still have 1 forward and 1 d-man. With Wiliams you would have somebody who some said he was a flop to be but taken at 49th, would've been a steal. With Geoffrion you would've a hard worker with a scoring touch and you never have enough of those. Or a tall talented center in Anisimov, a good 2-way d-man in Weber or a Chara to be in Danis-Pepin......

Well we will see later, I don't have our picks especially after seeing both guys at the Dev. Camp.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well I would've pick a different duo Williams/Geoffrion or Anisimov/Weber or Danis-Pepin. You would still have 1 forward and 1 d-man. With Wiliams you would have somebody who some said he was a flop to be but taken at 49th, would've been a steal. With Geoffrion you would've a hard worker with a scoring touch and you never have enough of those. Or a tall talented center in Anisimov, a good 2-way d-man in Weber or a Chara to be in Danis-Pepin......

Well we will see later, I don't have our picks especially after seeing both guys at the Dev. Camp.
or what about McBain, Biega, Forney, etc ? There always a plenty of good prospects available, and projecting which one will develop right is very random. I think that Carle brings a package as good as anyone else you mentioned.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote