HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
thinlizzy

vCash: 500
If we are going to start trading to try and reform the character with this team I think there is no option but to fire Kruger. As people have stated it is his job to motivate the team end of story. If they compete and lose I don't have a problem with this but this is the worse group as a team ever. I like the bag skate and from what I have read this has not happened. He is pampering them with the positive pats on the back bs when a firm kick to the backside is needs.

I agree as well that there are too many players on this team with a silver spoon attitude. Hence win one game lose 3 games deal that we have been seeing through this season. I would make it a very miserable time for the players in general and crack the whip hard. As well, I would be putting names on the press box to those **** that don't understand the concept of work ethic. Yes, Mr. Whitney you can hug the popcorn machine for the remainder with your holier then though attitude. I would just tell him go home, don't let the door hit you on the way out buddy.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
If we are going to start trading to try and reform the character with this team I think there is no option but to fire Kruger. As people have stated it is his job to motivate the team end of story. If they compete and lose I don't have a problem with this but this is the worse group as a team ever. I like the bag skate and from what I have read this has not happened. He is pampering them with the positive pats on the back bs when a firm kick to the backside is needs.

I agree as well that there are too many players on this team with a silver spoon attitude. Hence win one game lose 3 games deal that we have been seeing through this season. I would make it a very miserable time for the players in general and crack the whip hard. As well, I would be putting names on the press box to those **** that don't understand the concept of work ethic. Yes, Mr. Whitney you can hug the popcorn machine for the remainder with your holier then though attitude. I would just tell him go home, don't let the door hit you on the way out buddy.
Completely agree.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

You both understand that this isn't some minor hockey team right? Because I think that's getting lost there.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
You both understand that this isn't some minor hockey team right? Because I think that's getting lost there.
Well they are coached, managed and play like a minor hockey team so there is that.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
by, the most predicable outcome to the coaching situation. the Oilers will wait till the season is all but lost, then do an internal shuffle. we've it too many times to expect otherwise.
this is what i expect as well... krueger won't be getting it done by december/january, and the oilers will shuffle things around, but it won't matter as it will be too late already

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Okay. So we are just as good as Winnipeg if you take away our losses and players that give up are not a product of coaching:bad systems play? Because in house league, that is okay, not the NHL.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well they are coached, managed and play like a minor hockey team so there is that.
Won't dispute that. But you know, thisn isn't a group of children you need to scare into working harder or some such thing, which is really more the point.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Won't dispute that. But you know, thisn isn't a group of children you need to scare into working harder or some such thing, which is really more the point.
Because the opposite approach has been so overwhelmingly successful. Is that your logic?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Okay. So we are just as good as Winnipeg if you take away our losses and players that give up are not a product of coaching:bad systems play? Because in house league, that is okay, not the NHL.
:faceplam:

Wow, couldn't have missed that by more.

First, did I say that bit about Winnipeg? No, and I don't agree they are, I will agree the Eastern Conference isn't as good.

So coaching has been an issue here, decisions made, systems and the ****ing lack of shots can be be put on the shoulders of the coaching stuff, without a doubt, but "you just gotta motivate 'um and like just get mad, and show them, blah blah blah" is really silly and tends to be FAR more effect with children in minor hockey, then Adults in pro hockey, because the Adults will tune you out at some point, where the kids can't.

The Coaching staff deserves grief and blame for their part in this season, but just make sure the blame isn't based on something "silly" and more around something tangable.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
:faceplam:

Wow, couldn't have missed that by more.

First, did I say that bit about Winnipeg? No, and I don't agree they are, I will agree the Eastern Conference isn't as good.

So coaching has been an issue here, decisions made, systems and the ****ing lack of shots can be be put on the shoulders of the coaching stuff, without a doubt, but "you just gotta motivate 'um and like just get mad, and show them, blah blah blah" is really silly and tends to be FAR more affect with children in minor hockey, then Adults in pro hockey, because the Adults will tune you out at some point, where the kids can't.
Clearly they were paying attention in Oil Change. Great point.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
27theROCK

I honestly thought Pat Quinn got a bad rep here. He told it how it was, called out the players who were terrible etc.

Yeah he played JFJ on the number line but he said we were small and he needed grit. This was a shot at how our team was assembled and the sad part is it is still the #1 problem.

He did whip Gagner into shape by really busting his balls on being gritty and competing. I think that did alot for Gags development (present 9 game nose dive not included).

Quinn, Randy Carlile and Bruce Boudreau are of that same ilk and that is the type of coach we need, someone who is going to bust these kids chops and not let anyone mail it in.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
I'm actually quite scared that Bucky is next in line if they get rid of Krueger, which they absolutely must do. I have to think that Huddy would get first dibs if this happened though.

How would we all feel about that? Huddy always did a great job with our defesemen while he was here, and seems to be doing a solid job with them in WPG right now.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post

Agreed. 1-9 in their last 10. Pretty obvious that they've packed it in.

Player's coach or not, his job is to motivate the team. He hasn't been able to do that, and this year we can't blame it on not having enough character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
this is what i expect as well... krueger won't be getting it done by december/january, and the oilers will shuffle things around, but it won't matter as it will be too late already
The problem with that is by buying Kruger more time, we'll likely miss out on Tippett and Ruff. Those are prime candidates, and we can't afford to pass them up.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
shogun99

I'm hoping Detroit misses the playoffs and fire Babcock, he's the perfect coach for this team. Kruger, Smith and Bucky all need to be relieved of their coaching duties. Bucky and Smith will then be named Jr and assistant VP of hockey operations.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post
I honestly thought Pat Quinn got a bad rep here. He told it how it was, called out the players who were terrible etc.

Yeah he played JFJ on the number line but he said we were small and he needed grit. This was a shot at how our team was assembled and the sad part is it is still the #1 problem.

He did whip Gagner into shape by really busting his balls on being gritty and competing. I think that did alot for Gags development (present 9 game nose dive not included).

Quinn, Randy Carlile and Bruce Boudreau are of that same ilk and that is the type of coach we need, someone who is going to bust these kids chops and not let anyone mail it in.
Quinn got thrown under the bus by the players, and the old self-entitled and arrogant player leadership core that still hasn't been fully cleaned out of the organization. He was the hardass coach that everyone but the players wanted, who saw the second he walked in the door that the players the Oilers were clinging to weren't good enough to compete in the NHL, and was promptly discarded by management to keep deadweight like Horcoff happy.

Renny was the guy the players wanted at the time, until they got sick of him and campaigned for Kreuger, and looks like Kreuger isn't the guy the players wanted either. So now another coach is on his way out, while the players tune out anything they don't want to listen to, and spend all year abandoning system's play and phoning it in for large portions of the season.

Ottawa had this problem a few years ago as well - the inmates got the key to the asylum , and the team started going through coaches like toilet paper. No coach is going to stick in Edmonton and have success until management supports the guy they hire and starts moving out the rest of the refuse who have become coach killers, some of whom have the ability to go directly to ownership.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Pat Quinn

1. Played Ryan Stone in the top-6, he didn't score THE ENTIRE SEASON

2. The 2008-09 Oilers, under Craig MacTavish (38-35-0-9), The 2009-10 Oilers, under Pat Quinn (27-47-0-8)

They were basically the same teams. You're INSANE if you think Pat Quinn "gets a bad rap", if anything he should be the standard we use to judge failures as coaches.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Pat Quinn

2. The 2008-09 Oilers, under Craig MacTavish (38-35-0-9), The 2009-10 Oilers, under Pat Quinn (27-47-0-8)

They were basically the same teams. You're INSANE if you think Pat Quinn "gets a bad rap", if anything he should be the standard we use to judge failures as coaches.
Quinn was that carton of chocolate milk you buy at the store, and when you get home you open it up and take a deep swig...only to realize too late in mid-chug that you maybe should've taken a look at that Best Before date.

Quinn was a major fail, you could tell the players had a "Great, here's Grandpa Simpson on another old man rant..." attitude with him as time wore on.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Pat Quinn

1. Ryan Stone played 27 games that year

2. they weren't even close to the same team, and suffered a massive series of injuries throughout the year, including the inevitable injury to the only goaltender in the organization that Oilers management would allow the team to have - an injury prone aging Khabibulin, because "cup rings"

The players managed to run Mact out of town the year before, a guy with a job for life if he wanted it due to loyalty from his best bud Lowe, they sure as hell weren't going to put up with a new coach who had no problem telling the media exactly how bad they were.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Moneypuck

Pass on Ruff.

Probably be much better off with Dave Tippett.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
The problem with that is by buying Kruger more time, we'll likely miss out on Tippett and Ruff. Those are prime candidates, and we can't afford to pass them up.
agreed.... krueger should be let go at the end of the season, no doubt about it, he has clearly lost the room... and even when he had the room, his system was absolutely TERRIBLE and he has no clue whatsoever on how to run a bench or line match... he is a pathetic coach all around really

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Psychoil

if anyone is listening to mark spector, he is absolutely ripping ralph kruger.....he says theyve lost focus and you cant lose focus at this time of the year.

systems a joke, teams a joke, organizations a joke, I ****ing hate ralph krueger, he needs to go now.....like i can't watch this team next year with this ****ing ******* at the helm

Tippett, Ruff, Babcock, get someone legit in here right now, this team is a joke

Psychoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Pass on Ruff.

Probably be much better off with Dave Tippett.
I kind of feel the same way though either or is fine.

Ruff has dealt with a myriad of talent, good and bad, so he at least knows how to work some of them.

With Tippett, sure, he's boring, he's way too defensive BUT, I think this may just be what a team like the Oilers need. We rant how we need offensive minded coaches, etc etc, but every time we try something like that, its been epic fail. Perhaps it's time the team focuses on strengthening it's weakness [defense] and let the offense handle its thing as the players play better.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
if anyone is listening to mark spector, he is absolutely ripping ralph kruger.....he says theyve lost focus and you cant lose focus at this time of the year.

systems a joke, teams a joke, organizations a joke, I ****ing hate ralph krueger, he needs to go now.....like i can't watch this team next year with this ****ing ******* at the helm

Tippett, Ruff, Babcock, get someone legit in here right now, this team is a joke
This makes no sense. I would expect a club to lose focus when theres nothing on the line and they are eliminated.

Sounds like raw ranting to me at what is pretty predictable.

People draw up too much importance between how a club like Calgary is playing right now and how the Oil are. The situation down south is several players trying to make a name for themselves and trying desperately to get noticed and playing over their heads in short term. The players here have jobs, and will get better.

I'm amazed at all the blow it up ranting and fire everybody ranting.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:32 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

It's pretty clear you're just speaking from about zero basis. Carlyle and Boudreau couldn't be more different in terms of their approach. Boudreau is a player's coach through and through, Carlyle is the exact opposite of that. Just because you heard Boudreau yelling at his team in the middle of a huge losing streak doesn't mean he's like that. By all accounts he's a pretty easygoing guy that will bend over backwards for his players, Carlyle is grumpy and old-school.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Topkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This makes no sense. I would expect a club to lose focus when theres nothing on the line and they are eliminated.

Sounds like raw ranting to me at what is pretty predictable.

People draw up too much importance between how a club like Calgary is playing right now and how the Oil are. The situation down south is several players trying to make a name for themselves and trying desperately to get noticed and playing over their heads in short term. The players here have jobs, and will get better.

I'm amazed at all the blow it up ranting and fire everybody ranting.
That is part of the problem. Players and coaches should be held accountable for results.

Topkatz is offline   Reply With Quote