HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 11:53 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
We're sitting at 5th right now. We're not passing Calgary or Carolina at this point which means I don't think we'll be picking any lower than we're sitting at now.

Nashville could easily surpass us; Tampa is only 1 point back and have St. Louis trying to maintain the Art Ross and Stamkos gunning for the Richard. Could see them passing us.

IMO, it's almost guaranteed at this point that we pick between 3 and 5. I really hope one of Nashville or Tampa passes us as we would be guaranteed one of Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon, or Barkov, all who are a tier above Lindholm/Monahan/Nurse IMO.

Florida will take Jones. Hoping Colorado opts for Drouin as that leaves MacKinnon/Barkov on the board.

I hate seeing the team do so poorly but can't pretend I'm not excited at the idea of us landing one of MacKinnon or Barkov.
the bolded part can't be said enough times.... the cluster of 4 at the top (jones/mackinnon/drouin/barkov) is a clear step ahead of that next cluster for sure... my only worry would be drafting 4th, and only drouin being left.... he would be the BPA, and we would be stupid not to draft him, but he certainly wouldn't be helping us next season.... the other 3 would all likely at least help *some* as early as next year

Old
04-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
this team needs barkov or mohanen, but if mackinnon is there they won't pass on him...

if we don't come out of this draft with either seth jones or one of the big centres im going to throwup... i like drouin but we just don't need him...
im pretty much with you, drouin, while potentially being the BPA, would make me sick to acquire, like jesus christ can we get more small shifty danglers, and become even more talent/payroll heavy on the wings.

im actually pretty scared of owning the #3 pick. i'm literally fine with getting any of jones/mack/barkov/monohan. that order is my preference, but my shiny toy syndrome is running on low, so i really dont give a ****.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
the bolded part can't be said enough times.... the cluster of 4 at the top (jones/mackinnon/drouin/barkov) is a clear step ahead of that next cluster for sure... my only worry would be drafting 4th, and only drouin being left.... he would be the BPA, and we would be stupid not to draft him, but he certainly wouldn't be helping us next season.... the other 3 would all likely at least help *some* as early as next year
im getting the sense the drop is at 3, not 4.

i think if you picked barkov over druoin you would be flat out picking for need and ignoring BPA.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post

i think if you picked barkov over druoin you would be flat out picking for need and ignoring BPA.
agreed, if drouin and barkov are still available when we pick, the choice obviously has to be drouin... i just don't think it helps us next year is all... drouin would be the correct pick though, no doubt

Old
04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Slats432

Quote:

Likely not. Barkov is in the mix and is a late birthday almost being eligible for 2014 by a couple months.

Don't be sad if we get him. Big strong two way C with elite passing?
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...sander-barkov/

Old
04-25-2013, 12:01 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I wonder if Mac T is at least exploring offers for Eberle if Drouin is available at 3.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:

Thing that makes this draft so interesting is that Jones is pretty much the consensus #1 but I've heard cases made for all of Barkov, Mackinnon, and Drouin at #2.

I don't think you can deny that Drouin is the most talented of the bunch and therefore he might be BPA at #2 or #3... but again, this draft reminds me of 2006.

Kessel was arguably the most skilled in the draft and was ranked 3rd, but he went 5th and was taken behind Backstrom, Toews, and Staal, all who were ranked behind him (other than Toews).

Not trying to make direct comparisons but..

EJ = Jones (ranked 1st, drafted 1st)
Toews = Mackinnon (ranked 2nd, drafted 3rd)
Kessel = Drouin (ranked 3rd, drafted 5th)
Backstrom = Lindholm (ranked 5th, drafted 4th)
Staal = Barkov (ranked 4th, drafted 2nd)

Old
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
27theROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Thing that makes this draft so interesting is that Jones is pretty much the consensus #1 but I've heard cases made for all of Barkov, Mackinnon, and Drouin at #2.

I don't think you can deny that Drouin is the most talented of the bunch and therefore he might be BPA at #2 or #3... but again, this draft reminds me of 2006.

Kessel was arguably the most skilled in the draft and was ranked 3rd, but he went 5th and was taken behind Backstrom, Toews, and Staal, all who were ranked behind him (other than Toews).

Not trying to make direct comparisons but..

EJ = Jones (ranked 1st, drafted 1st)
Toews = Mackinnon (ranked 2nd, drafted 3rd)
Kessel = Drouin (ranked 3rd, drafted 5th)
Backstrom = Lindholm (ranked 5th, drafted 4th)
Staal = Barkov (ranked 4th, drafted 2nd)
Ironic that those comparisons also work between NHLer and Prospect style. Maybe not so much Toews and Mackinnon but the others are pretty spot on.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:14 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post
Ironic that those comparisons also work between NHLer and Prospect style. Maybe not so much Toews and Mackinnon but the others are pretty spot on.
Yea, I find it a pretty interesting comparable for sure. The stylistic comparisons are actually fairly close, but comparisons are often tough and unfair to the prospect. But more importantly, 06 was a draft with a consensus #1 d-man and then a grouping of 3-4 others who were all close in the top 5.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Likely not. Barkov is in the mix and is a late birthday almost being eligible for 2014 by a couple months.

Don't be sad if we get him. Big strong two way C with elite passing?
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...sander-barkov/
I would be happy with Barkov. And i don't want Drouin.

But that has nothing to do with talent, but need. I'm under the impression Drouin is the BPA "correct pick" of the two.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Why is it certain he wouldn't help next season?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Drouin-Horcoff-Hemsky

I think it's unlikely EDM finishes high enough to draft Drouin, but what's wrong with that?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:45 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Why is it certain he wouldn't help next season?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Drouin-Horcoff-Hemsky

I think it's unlikely EDM finishes high enough to draft Drouin, but what's wrong with that?
Good god no.

91-89-64 got killed this season. They can't need soft minutes, and I hope we don't see them as a line again next season.

Drouin-Horcoff-Hemsky would be the checking line. Only problem is that one is a rookie, and 2 are soft. That's a recipe for disaster when matching up with the Sedin line, Getzlaf-Perry line etc.

And that would be the least physical top 9 in NHL history, tied with the 2013 Edmonton Oilers.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Bushwick Bill

Really like Barkov, his highlight packs may look a bit underwhelming but I see him contributing at both ends of the ice and playing a simple but very effective game in the offensive zone with some nice hands. Imo, that sounds like exactly what our top 6 needs, not exactly more flash.

I also really like Lindholm and love the style of game he plays. I know he plays a big game and is very physical, which we need, but for the Oil I would prefer a bigger body with a big frame to help control and settle the play down low. Having that "mule" type body would go a long way in our top 6.

My board for the Oil right now would be
Jones
Mac
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm
Nurse

With Barkov and Mac being very close. Imo, its scary to think about what Barkov is accomplishing and how big he already is and he is just weeks off from being in next years draft. Hell of a ceiling this kid has.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
40oz

Connor McDavid is ridiculous, tearing apart the u18 tournament in Sochi as a 16 year old.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Connor McDavid is ridiculous, tearing apart the u18 tournament in Sochi as a 16 year old.
were right on pace to be tanking for him in 2015. after all, hall will have traded himself out of this ****hole by then. probably because we tainted his opinion after trading eberle away.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Has the record for most goals in an u18 tournament for Team Canada now by the sounds of it.

edit: Scores again. Hatty.

He seriously looks like he'd be an impact NHLer already.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Mr Sakich

I keep having this feeling that Florida picks a forward with the first pick. Here is a list of Tallons top 3 picks he has made - Barker, Toews, Kane, Huberdeau, and Gudbranson.

By far, the 3 best picks were forwards. The only flop was a dman and the other dman pick was, at best, the 4th or 5th best player in his draft. It would be easy to argue that Fowler is a better player than Gudbranson which just shows how unpredictable dmen draft picks are.

I read somewhere that Colorado is very high on Druin so Jones might be there at three.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I keep having this feeling that Florida picks a forward with the first pick. Here is a list of Tallons top 3 picks he has made - Barker, Toews, Kane, Huberdeau, and Gudbranson.

By far, the 3 best picks were forwards. The only flop was a dman and the other dman pick was, at best, the 4th or 5th best player in his draft. It would be easy to argue that Fowler is a better player than Gudbranson which just shows how unpredictable dmen draft picks are.

I read somewhere that Colorado is very high on Druin so Jones might be there at three.
uh no lol.

they might be high enough on him to pass on mackinnon, but they are not passing on jones, theyre D is as bad as ours.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

I think Colorado is high on Drouin, but only because most assume Jones goes first.

Colorado desperately needs defenseman. I think they'd definitely take Jones if Florida takes MacKinnon/Drouin.

edit: Also probably interesting to note, Jones started playing hockey in Denver after his father asked Joe Sakic for advice.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Yeah, 11 points in 4 games..Looks good.

MacKinnon also had 11 points in 5 games in the same tournament...

Old
04-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Topkatz

My draft ranking if i'm the Oilers:

1) Jones
2) Barkov
3) Nurse
4) Monahan
5) Nichushkin
6) Ristolainen
7) Zadarov

And if a high ranked prospect not on that list falls in my lap I try to trade down with the team next in line and see if they want to take him, if not I take the next prospect on that list.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

where's the draft party this year?

Old
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
40oz

Freddie Gauthier is interesting, looks like a less polished/bigger Jordan Caron out there.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

There's no way Jones falls to third overall. Absolutely none. If one team passes on him, I'll be surprised, if two teams pass on him, hell will have frozen over.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Topkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
There's no way Jones falls to third overall. Absolutely none. If one team passes on him, I'll be surprised, if two teams pass on him, hell will have frozen over.
Yeah he will go first or second unless both teams are absolutely desperate for offence and are strong on D. Not likely!

Closed Thread