HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstifier View Post
Really? Briere was a defensively valuable player during his prime? Or are you just speaking in terms of offense?
Just offensive production.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Jack de la Hoya

If they do intend to buy-out Briere, they aren't going to scratch him before the last home game. They should, but they won't.

Against OTT? That's more plausible.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Schenn doesn't have the overall skill that Bobby Ryan has. That's not a knock on Schenn, but Ryan has some of the softer hands in the league. They play two different games as well. Schenn is at his best when he is physical while Ryan is at his best when he is in the open ice and has the puck on his stick.

Schenn as skill, we have all seen it, but not the skill level Ryan has.
I think Shane Doan is the perfect comparison for B. Schenn. He needs to bulk up a bit but I see him as a stout physical power forward like Doan with good production in 20+ goals, 50+ points range. Move him to left wing and keep him there for more than a week.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:11 AM
whitstifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think Shane Doan is the perfect comparison for B. Schenn. He needs to bulk up a bit but I see him as a stout physical power forward like Doan with good production in 20+ goals, 50+ points range. Move him to left wing and keep him there for more than a week.
Eh... He definitely has more offensive ability than Doan.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

I will say one thing, the discussion in here has been great. With that being said the Flyers love to make big splashes in the off season and will probably trade that pick for someone lol. I think we all know it's a real possibility, I can't wait till the playoffs are through so the rumor mill starts churning again.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Schenn could have a huge year on the Giroux Voracek line. He should have a huge amount of space to work in.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstifier View Post
Eh... He definitely has more offensive ability than Doan.
Maybe so, but Doan has been incredibly productive thru his career. If he can match Doan's numbers, the Flyers will be lucky.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I'm going to go a bit old school here, but Schenn reminds me a bit of Steve Larmer from the Blackhawk days. I don't think Schenn has quite the shot that Larmer had, but everything from skating to hockey sense reminds me so much of Larmer.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:38 AM
whitstifier

Quote:
Maybe so, but Doan has been incredibly productive thru his career. If he can match Doan's numbers, the Flyers will be lucky.
I think it's fair to say that he can. So, it seems to me that they would be unlucky if that were all he amounted to.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Nikita Zadorov is #7 OVERALL in ISS April rankings and #22 in North America in CSS April rankings. Anyone have a guess why they are so different?
Central Scouting is a department within the NHL, therefore it's head up by scouts that have worked exclusively with NHL clubs. ISS is an independent organization that is not head up by the NHL. Funny thing is that many within CSB (Central Scouting Bureau), often refer to ISS and their reports on players.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Would anyone do this or something a long the lines of this.

Trade next year's first, Couturier, and this year's second for #1 overall.

Trade Read and next year's second for CBJ's highest pick.

Draft Jones #1, Risto with the Flyers pick, Mantha with CBJ's pick.

Just curious. Not saying I would do this (or that the other teams would). Just don't have much to do at work right now and throwing it out there. Haha.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Mantha
Gagne-Laughton-UFA/Cousins/McGinn
Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Jones
Grossmann-Mez
Huskins

Next year Risto makes the jump and replaces Mez.
Next year's draft is in Philadelphia. I don't see the 1st being moved for anything less than a landslide win of a trade.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

The Flyers will go forward. WATCH! LMAO, it's so hard to figure what they'll do. If Monahan drops or Nichushkin is on the board. Zadarov, Ristolainen all make sense but probably don't have the upside Holmgren will claim.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Haute Couturier

The reality is the Flyers need prospects at every position to stock the farm.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Next year's draft is in Philadelphia. I don't see the 1st being moved for anything less than a landslide win of a trade.
I really think people are putting too much emphasis on that. If they can make a trade that will improve the team, I don't see why the draft being in Philadelphia that year would stop them.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I really think people are putting too much emphasis on that. If they can make a trade that will improve the team, I don't see why the draft being in Philadelphia that year would stop them.
Elliotte Friedman reported that the 2014 1st rounder was the big hold up in a deal for Clowe at the dealline. The Flyers were unwillingly to move it because of the draft being here. Take that for what it's worth though.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Elliotte Friedman reported that the 2014 1st rounder was the big hold up in a deal for Clowe at the dealline. The Flyers were unwillingly to move it because of the draft being here. Take that for what it's worth though.
Really? If that is the case I think it is a terrible management decision. I mean, I wouldn't trade the pick just to trade it, but I wouldn't turn down a deal that improves the team so that they can make a pick in the first round in Philly.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
They have to worry about filling up the WFC. I would imagine teams think long and hard about trading their first when they are hosting the draft.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Thank god for that.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Really? If that is the case I think it is a terrible management decision. I mean, I wouldn't trade the pick just to trade it, but I wouldn't turn down a deal that improves the team so that they can make a pick in the first round in Philly.
I don't think that's the case. I just think they value it a little more than they normally would. If its a no-brainer type of player they'll move it but I don't think Clowe fits that bill.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
They have to worry about filling up the WFC. I would imagine teams think long and hard about trading their first when they are hosting the draft.
Eh, I think the draft will be attended equally regardless of if the Flyers have a first rounder or not. If you are buying a ticket for the draft, you are most likely not a casual fan. If you are not a casual fan, you are going to be interested in seeing the draft regardless of the Flyers drafting in the first round. I could be wrong, but I know I plan on going regardless, and I imagine those planning on going only to see the Flyers pick are greatly outnumbered by those going just to watch the draft.

Quote:
I don't think that's the case. I just think they value it a little more than they normally would. If its a no-brainer type of player they'll move it but I don't think Clowe fits that bill.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I mean I would be surprised if they were holding on to it just to call a name out in Philadelphia. If Clowe wasn't their guy and they didn't want to part with it for HIM, ok. If they simply won't part with it, I would be surprised.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Eh, I think the draft will be attended equally regardless of if the Flyers have a first rounder or not. If you are buying a ticket for the draft, you are most likely not a casual fan. If you are not a casual fan, you are going to be interested in seeing the draft regardless of the Flyers drafting in the first round. I could be wrong, but I know I plan on going regardless, and I imagine those planning on going only to see the Flyers pick are greatly outnumbered by those going just to watch the draft.
Not really. Most people don't care about the draft beyond who their team is picking.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:33 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Or Clowe is just not worth a 1st.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:35 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I plan on going to the draft regardless of if we have a 1st. Granted, I'll be much more excited if we do, but I'll be there if we don't as well.

I don't know about other fans. I agree though that casual fans wouldn't be going to the draft anyway and im sure a lot of serious fans will want to see it regardless, but I have a lot of friends who are serious fans who have said they would have no interest in going if we don't have a 1st.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Or Clowe is just not worth a 1st.
That's debatable. I think he's worth more than Briere and people around here were swearing we could get a 1st rounder for him. But like I said that's what he reported so TIFWIW.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
That's debatable. I think he's worth more than Briere and people around here were swearing we could get a 1st rounder for him. But like I said that's what he reported so TIFWIW.
No reason to give away our first for Clowe when we were hardly even in playoff contention anyway. Not as if Clowe would have put us over the edge

Closed Thread