Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 12:48 AM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
Food for thought. The Bruins had more people playing throughout the lockout than any other team. Almost the entire team as a matter of fact. This would explain their quick start, but would it also explain their play of late. Is it possible that they are wearing out where other teams are hitting their stride?
Reading this just made me think of how unreal the playoffs around the league could possibly be with every team in mid-season form.

Combine that with the hard hitting and fast pace of the playoffs and we could see the essence of hockey. I'm excited.

And yeah, we gotta get our heads out of our ***** and figure it out. Wayyy too good to be playing this badly.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:25 AM
westernhome

I have faith

we have Brad Marchand

( and listen to the mic picking up Marchand shouting at the end of the video for extra )

Old
04-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
I have faith

we have Brad Marchand

( and listen to the mic picking up Marchand shouting at the end of the video for extra )
After listening to that twice in a row (hey it's 4:30am and I'm up) I think Brads "yeas" isolated would make a nice goose call

Old
04-25-2013, 06:53 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
Food for thought. The Bruins had more people playing throughout the lockout than any other team. Almost the entire team as a matter of fact. This would explain their quick start, but would it also explain their play of late. Is it possible that they are wearing out where other teams are hitting their stride?
Good question, I`m still not convinced playing over there was/is a plus, completely different game with missing physical elements.

I think this team benefited from a lighter schedule to begin the season, put together some wins (not convincing wins but..) then the sched. got heavy, Kelly, regardless if he wasn`t playing the way we have come to expect was injured, Quaider, a quiet yet steady D man gone much of this year, a rotating door for 3rd line wingers etc....

Excuse making?? To a degree, either way, in the previous two lockout/strike seasons, I recall watching not just our Bruins, but many other teams with the exact same issues which have a way, over a full season of correcting themselves that you don`t have in a shortened one.

Either way, this team needs a few bounces, needs some ugly goals, and needs them to come off the sticks of a Pevs/Looch/Krejci, but to get those bounces, they must be earned, have to have the will to drive to the net, to stand in front and take the punishment to receive the reward.

Am I pumped about the way the boys have played this year??? Nope, but I`ve watched this game far too long to sit here and annoint ANY team with jack all based on the way they are heading into the playoffs.

Seen too many going into post season hot only to get bounced early, and seen teams claw and scratch their way in late, only to make a deep run. Playoffs are anything but predictable. Not sure this team has that "switch" to turn it on fully, but I do suspect they will bring far more intensity come playoff time, and with their experience, I would be quite shocked if this team brings that same spotty effort we saw against the Caps last season

Old
04-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

The Bruins as a team have scored 17 power play goals.

Alexander Ovechkin has scored 16 power play goals.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:10 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
The Bruins as a team have scored 17 power play goals.

Alexander Ovechkin has scored 16 power play goals.
It's pretty sad how inept they are, but I think that really speaks to the lack of actual offensive talent up front. The PP and how they run it is certainly a problem, but I've been saying for a long time how thin they were regarding an elite offensive player to build the pp around. They went into this season with all of none.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:13 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It's pretty sad how inept they are, but I think that really speaks to the lack of actual offensive talent up front. The PP and how they run it is certainly a problem, but I've been saying for a long time how thin they were regarding an elite offensive player to build the pp around. They went into this season with all of none.
it is...not sure why people continually point to the "system". Only Seguin even remotely weighs in on the "God given elite talent" meter for the B's...

If you're a Pens fan, and you see you are bottom third then yeah, its the system...for us, its the talent level.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
it is...not sure why people continually point to the "system". Only Seguin even remotely weighs in on the "God given elite talent" meter for the B's...

If you're a Pens fan, and you see you are bottom third then yeah, its the system...for us, its the talent level.
Yup, and even with Seguin, he's still trying to get there. He should become that type of player in the future, but he's got work to do before he does. Sad part is that they added Jagr and anyone who watches the games could see the difference between him and everyone else they have on the roster. Even more sad when you consider Jagr is 41, and well into the back 9 of his career...

Old
04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
hoss75

Quote:
This, and as great as Bergeron is, the offense would be totally different with Savard still on this team.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
bp13

Quote:
I'm coming around to the fact this might be the case, but the problem is two points:

1. There are several NHL teams with less high-end talent and better power plays. Several. And there have been each year since our PP has been this terrible.

2. A unit of Krejci-Seguin-Jagr-Hamilton and whoever is very talented. Mix in Soderberg, Bergeron and Marchand and you've got a top 10 crew in terms of talent. Obviously Seguin, Jagr and Hamilton are relative newcomers, but as of this morning, they have the talent. These guys should be producing at a higher clip. Jagr alone is one the best PP players in the entire league.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:39 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
...I think [the lack of PP production] really speaks to the lack of actual offensive talent up front.
Quote:
it is...not sure why people continually point to the "system".
I guess I don't agree regarding the notion that the Bruins lack offensive talent in the forward ranks. They aren't loaded with talent, but they certainly have it: Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron, and now Jagr. Jury is still out wrt Soderberg, but presumably he will produce once he's acclimated to North American hockey play.

I do agree it's not the system, unless this constant reliance on the point is part of the system, as opposed to a by-product of the poor execution.

It's this poor execution which I think is the problem. I thought Andy Brickley commented on it specifically a game or two ago when, during the power play, Jagr had the puck and was looking for someone to make a play with. Everyone was standing around and not creating any passing lanes. Brick spoke directly to this in real time!

To me, there are problems with poor decision making when in possession of the puck and too much standing around. Because of the rushed nature the puck is constantly pushed to the point, which is more or less a guaranteed shot resulting in a turnover.

Until the PP units begin to function better with improved puck protection, less rushing, improved decision making, less reliance on shots from the point, and more movement, nothing is going to improve. These are not issues related to just the forwards.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:39 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
I'm coming around to the fact this might be the case, but the problem is two points:

1. There are several NHL teams with less high-end talent and better power plays. Several. And there have been each year since our PP has been this terrible.

2. A unit of Krejci-Seguin-Jagr-Hamilton and whoever is very talented. Mix in Soderberg, Bergeron and Marchand and you've got a top 10 crew in terms of talent. Obviously Seguin, Jagr and Hamilton are relative newcomers, but as of this morning, they have the talent. These guys should be producing at a higher clip. Jagr alone is one the best PP players in the entire league.
1. Anomalies happen in sports. It's counter intuitive to think that some teams with less talent would be better with a man up, but it happens. Also, scheme can certainly help. I even said as much in my initial post. The scheme here is terrible and has been for years. This is starting to change now that Jagr is here, which leads me back to thinking that it's really a lack of offensive talent up front.

2. The puck movement on the PP has improved tremendously since Jagr has come on board, but it's only been 10 games. I think right now, it's just a matter of time before everyone is comfortable playing together and understanding what their roles are on the PP.

If I were to put out a first unit PP, I'd roll with Jagr, DK, Soderberg and the second grouping would be the PB line. I'd give Jagr the lion's share of time as well.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:41 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
I guess I don't agree regarding the notion that the Bruins lack offensive talent in the forward ranks. They aren't loaded with talent, but they certainly have it: Seguin, Marchand, Bergeron, and now Jagr. Jury is still out wrt Soderberg, but presumably he will produce once he's acclimated to North American hockey play.

I do agree it's not the system, unless this constant reliance on the point is part of the system, as opposed to a by-product of the poor execution.

It's this poor execution which I think is the problem. I thought Andy Brickley commented on it specifically a game or two ago when, during the power play, Jagr had the puck and was looking for someone to make a play with. Everyone was standing around and not creating any passing lanes. Brick spoke directly to this in real time!

To me, there are problems with poor decision making when in possession of the puck and too much standing around. Because of the rushed nature the puck is constantly pushed to the point, which is more or less a guaranteed shot resulting in a turnover.

Until the PP units begin to function better with improved puck protection, less rushing, improved decision making, less reliance on shots from the point, and more movement, nothing is going to improve. These are not issues related to just the forwards.
The Bruins forwards are generally what I'd call jacks of all trades. They're all pretty good at everything but there are no true high end offensive players at this point. They've got a great group of forwards, but there's not one single guy that is that guy. Maybe Seguin becomes that guy in the future, but he's not there yet.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post

It's amazing how often Bruins gravitate toward the PK-ers, as opposed to getting away from them.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:49 PM
mobileusa

You know what, I started this thread out of frustration and doubt. This morning I had an event that made me realize I need to be more positive. So, when the playoffs start, I am convinced we will see a different team. Come on people....

LETS GO BRUINS!

Come on everybody...

LETS GO BRUINS!
LETS GO BRUINS!!
LETS GO BRUINS!!!

Old
04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
1. Anomalies happen in sports. It's counter intuitive to think that some teams with less talent would be better with a man up, but it happens. Also, scheme can certainly help. I even said as much in my initial post. The scheme here is terrible and has been for years. This is starting to change now that Jagr is here, which leads me back to thinking that it's really a lack of offensive talent up front.

2. The puck movement on the PP has improved tremendously since Jagr has come on board, but it's only been 10 games. I think right now, it's just a matter of time before everyone is comfortable playing together and understanding what their roles are on the PP.

If I were to put out a first unit PP, I'd roll with Jagr, DK, Soderberg and the second grouping would be the PB line. I'd give Jagr the lion's share of time as well.
Not going to lie, 5 on 4 I hate DK on the 1st unit. He's too long with the puck. In a system where the team doesn't move their feet enough, holding the puck is the result of turn overs. He's also too quick to look all the way across ice rather than work north to south and then across (thus turning the defensemen and opening lanes).

5 on 3 great- he's perfect with it. 5 on 4, he needs a lot of work, regardless of how talented he is at passing.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUser View Post
Not going to lie, 5 on 4 I hate DK on the 1st unit. He's too long with the puck. In a system where the team doesn't move their feet enough, holding the puck is the result of turn overs. He's also too quick to look all the way across ice rather than work north to south and then across (thus turning the defensemen and opening lanes).

5 on 3 great- he's perfect with it. 5 on 4, he needs a lot of work, regardless of how talented he is at passing.
I agree. He slows things down to a painful level, doesn't move well (if at all), and never shoots, so defenders can always cheat for the pass. That being said, I kept him there because I really didn't want to break up the PB line. Otherwise, I'd go Seguin, Jagr, Soderberg on the first unit with Hamilton and Seidenberg on d.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:31 PM
bp13

Quote:
I agree. He slows things down to a painful level, doesn't move well (if at all), and never shoots, so defenders can always cheat for the pass. That being said, I kept him there because I really didn't want to break up the PB line. Otherwise, I'd go Seguin, Jagr, Soderberg on the first unit with Hamilton and Seidenberg on d.
Krejci can be frustrating but aside from Jagr he still has the best hands and vision on this team. Slow or not I take him over anyone not named Jagr or Seguin on the PP.

And as much as we are kinda resigned to playing the Yeti on the PP, I haven't seen enough to anoint him better than Krejci or even in the ballpark, power play or even strength.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:35 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Krejci can be frustrating but aside from Jagr he still has the best hands and vision on this team. Slow or not I take him over anyone not named Jagr or Seguin on the PP.

And as much as we are kinda resigned to playing the Yeti on the PP, I haven't seen enough to anoint him better than Krejci or even in the ballpark, power play or even strength.
In terms of Soderberg, the thing I've seen out of him that is seriously lacking is a consistent drive to the net. He may need time to adjust his game to NA, but he's still driving to the net more than everyone else on the roster right now. That's really the only reason I included him on my first unit PP.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:35 PM
patty59

Quote:
I really don't like Seidenberg on the PP.

I think the PP has looked a lot better since they added Jagr, they seem to work the puck down low a lot more rather than go to the point all the time.

I would like to see whoever is on the half wall with the puck to take the puck to the dot and put it on net more. Low far side and have the guy at the net pick up the rebound on the open net.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:

The Marchand-Bergeron-Segs line has clearly been our best line all season. I've never really understood why we wouldn't roll them out as the #1 PP unit.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:32 PM
missingchicklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Good question, I`m still not convinced playing over there was/is a plus, completely different game with missing physical elements.

I think this team benefited from a lighter schedule to begin the season, put together some wins (not convincing wins but..) then the sched. got heavy, Kelly, regardless if he wasn`t playing the way we have come to expect was injured, Quaider, a quiet yet steady D man gone much of this year, a rotating door for 3rd line wingers etc....

Excuse making?? To a degree, either way, in the previous two lockout/strike seasons, I recall watching not just our Bruins, but many other teams with the exact same issues which have a way, over a full season of correcting themselves that you don`t have in a shortened one.

Either way, this team needs a few bounces, needs some ugly goals, and needs them to come off the sticks of a Pevs/Looch/Krejci, but to get those bounces, they must be earned, have to have the will to drive to the net, to stand in front and take the punishment to receive the reward.

Am I pumped about the way the boys have played this year??? Nope, but I`ve watched this game far too long to sit here and annoint ANY team with jack all based on the way they are heading into the playoffs.

Seen too many going into post season hot only to get bounced early, and seen teams claw and scratch their way in late, only to make a deep run. Playoffs are anything but predictable. Not sure this team has that "switch" to turn it on fully, but I do suspect they will bring far more intensity come playoff time, and with their experience, I would be quite shocked if this team brings that same spotty effort we saw against the Caps last season
I really like this post.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeti34

Quote:

Marchand and Horton are two of the better shooters in the NHL. Jagr can shoot and pass. Krecji is a great set up guy. Lucic is the big body in front of the net. Hamilton has done very well on the back end. This team should have enough talent on the pp to not be I the bottom half of the NHL. Oh Clode dropped Segs from the PP last game too, hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
In terms of Soderberg, the thing I've seen out of him that is seriously lacking is a consistent drive to the net. He may need time to adjust his game to NA, but he's still driving to the net more than everyone else on the roster right now. That's really the only reason I included him on my first unit PP.
We must not be watching the same games then because to me he is one of the few I not the only one on this team that's been driving hard to the net.

Edit-
Apologiies lscii just misinterpreted what you were saying.

Last edited by Yeti34: 04-25-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 04:52 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti34 View Post
Marchand and Horton are two of the better shooters in the NHL. Jagr can shoot and pass. Krecji is a great set up guy. Lucic is the big body in front of the net. Hamilton has done very well on the back end. This team should have enough talent on the pp to not be I the bottom half of the NHL. Oh Clode dropped Segs from the PP last game too, hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Horton is a good shooter, but he takes longer than the 2nd coming of Christ to get his shot off, it is almost like an old musket, load, pack, ram, ect. . . . oops too late someone has already stolen the puck from you.

Closed Thread