HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Jamie McBain - Value of

Old
04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
You make it sound like we have only one whipping boy around here.
What was it about Godwin's law and Chad LaRose...yeah, sorry

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginLikeaBiscuit View Post
What was it about Godwin's law and Chad LaRose...yeah, sorry
This thread has been LaRose'd.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:40 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
If they got more than a 4th for him, I'd be surprised.

He's 25 now. Physically, he just never developed. He doesn't seem to be improving his defensive instincts. Not sure why anyone would want him.

Exactly. McBain has actually gotten worse over the last two seasons. He's done.

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 04-25-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: site rule #17
TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

McBain is so bad defenseman that he got called up to the US national team for the World Championships.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Or, US National team is so bad, Jamie McBain is called up to play for them?

Also includes:

AHL goalie, Cal Heeter
North Dakota forward Danny Kristo
30yo KHL'r, Tim Stapleton
Nashville stars, Bobby Butler and Craig Smith

Really, just a who's who of hockey, and a feather in McBain's cap.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Joe McGrath

I just realized 5 of the 7 regular defenseman are from the US and only 1 is Canadian. No wonder they are so ****ing terrible. Need some good ole Canadian farm boys to play some ******* defense. Not a bunch of cake eating Americans.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Or, US National team is so bad, Jamie McBain is called up to play for them?

Also includes:

AHL goalie, Cal Heeter
North Dakota forward Danny Kristo
30yo KHL'r, Tim Stapleton
Nashville stars, Bobby Butler and Craig Smith

Really, just a who's who of hockey, and a feather in McBain's cap.
According to the USA hockey website, McBain is only 15, so if say its a pretty damn impressive accomplishment.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:33 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
One solid summer at Gary Roberts camp and Jamie McBain becomes who he should be....unfortunately he'll be on the lakes of Minnesota drinking beer with his PhD candidate girlfriend.

I've been a stalwart Jamie McBain defender because I have always felt his missteps have been magnified and his successes have been minimized. He remains a very good offensive D-man...who gets pushed around on the boards....and that perceived lack of toughness is unforgivable on these boards.

So I've come to the conclusion that failing some sort of summer miracle (a la Gary Roberts camp), he's a pretty valuable, tradable asset. I just don't know what we can hope to get for him. My guess is there's a deal with McBain, a solid prospect, and a draft pick that gets us a good prospect back and a middling draft pick in return.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

McBain does have value. He is good at positioning, generally he knows when to pinch and when not, and he has a good shot, both slapper and wrist.

His problem is that his deficiencies (high risk, high reward) is magnified by the fact that his conditioning is crap. He has low balance, and he has to turn just to keep up with the play often.

A strong offseason of training, adding muscle to his core and legs would greatly benefit him and make him a 2nd pairing defenseman IMO. But that time is fast approaching. It's sink or swim time.

But the fact that his issues are related to an easily solved issue does give him value. Need to send him at the draft though.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
McBain does have value. He is good at positioning, generally he knows when to pinch and when not, and he has a good shot, both slapper and wrist.

His problem is that his deficiencies (high risk, high reward) is magnified by the fact that his conditioning is crap. He has low balance, and he has to turn just to keep up with the play often.

A strong offseason of training, adding muscle to his core and legs would greatly benefit him and make him a 2nd pairing defenseman IMO. But that time is fast approaching. It's sink or swim time.

But the fact that his issues are related to an easily solved issue does give him value. Need to send him at the draft though.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner......

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:43 PM
geehaad

One offseason of training will not rescue Jamie McBain's lack of strength. Granted, it should help, and it's a great first step, but he is so far off from being strong on his skates that he needs prolonged emphasis on his lower body strength. He needs to make it his job...cuz it kinda is.

Maybe someone should tweet that to his girlfriend.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
wallym

McBain has been handing out odd man rushes with his poor angles, and ill timed pinches all season long. And nobody gets lost in the defensive zone better than Jamie McBain.

I guess if you don't think he's been doing that, I could understand why you think he's a valuable player.

re the training: People aren't identical. Some guys don't have those genetics to put on a bunch of muscle and add a bunch of strength. A good example is Brandon Sutter, who we all recognize as a paragon of all that is right in the world. And he's been trying to add mass for years, and he's still just 6'3", 183. Not because he's lazy, or because Gary Roberts hasn't gotten ahold of him.

Don't get me wrong, maybe after a lifetime of dedicating himself to hockey, and reaching the point where working out hard is all that is keeping him from millions of dollars and a long career, and he's decided to sit around and drink beers. But intuitively, that seems like the less likely scenario.

Last edited by wallym: 04-25-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
TheBigKahuna

His shot, and offensive upside are the only reasons he's still playing NHL hockey. His conditioning, strength, balance, etc are garbage. His positional play, is weak as well. He's not balanced at all, his scoring ability is far outweighed by his shortcomings as a defenseman. His refusal to get into pro athlete shape, is going to shorten his career.

TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
McBain has been handing out odd man rushes with his poor angles, and ill timed pinches all season long. And nobody gets lost in the defensive zone better than Jamie McBain.

I guess if you don't think he's been doing that, I could understand why you think he's a valuable player.

re the training: People aren't identical. Some guys don't have those genetics to put on a bunch of muscle and add a bunch of strength. A good example is Brandon Sutter, who we all recognize as a paragon of all that is right in the world. And he's been trying to add mass for years, and he's still just 6'3", 183. Not because he's lazy, or because Gary Roberts hasn't gotten ahold of him.

Don't get me wrong, maybe after a lifetime of dedicating himself to hockey, and reaching the point where working out hard is all that is keeping him from millions of dollars and a long career, and he's decided to sit around and drink beers. But intuitively, that seems like the less likely scenario.
There are at least 4 other guys on this team that get lost just as often as McBain does. Or have you not watched Joe Corvo and Bobby Sanguinetti play hockey?

Old
04-26-2013, 10:24 AM
wallym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
There are at least 4 other guys on this team that get lost just as often as McBain does. Or have you not watched Joe Corvo and Bobby Sanguinetti play hockey?
That we can have a debate over which of our defensmen gets lost in their own zone the most, while conceding that regardless of how we rank them, they all do it a lot, may have something to do with our struggles this year.

I still like McBain in this category. Certainly a case for Corvo, but if there is a defensman standing by himself in the corner while a goal is being scored, my money is on it being Jamie.