Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Sevren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93O12820130425

Body found in Providence River identified as missing student.
Was there any more info released about the bombs found at Brown when the student went missing? Pretty sure someone tweeted something about that the night it was thought said student was suspect #2. Don't remember who it was so I wonder if it was legit or not.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
BergyDGD
#Deutschland#Arsenal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
Was there any more info released about the bombs found at Brown when the student went missing? Pretty sure someone tweeted something about that the night it was thought said student was suspect #2. Don't remember who it was so I wonder if it was legit or not.
Talk about a devastating week for a family, your son is missing, then for awhile labeled as a terrorist, and now found dead.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
One final warning: No conspiracy mongering in this thread. Take it to the poli board. Like I said, final warning from me.

04-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
Talk about a devastating week for a family, your son is missing, then for awhile labeled as a terrorist, and now found dead.
Yeesh, this is the first I've heard of this. That's truly awful for them.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Sevren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
No kidding. Devastated is the right word.

On the night it was reported Sunil Tripathi was suspect #2, someone (which I have to guess was a reporter) tweeted that something like 2 bombs were found at Brown the day the student went missing. Pretty sure it was EM who posted it here as I was following his posts like most people.

It was quite a chaotic night so I wonder if it was legit or not. Haven't heard anything about it since then.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk 16 View Post
So a magistrate requiring the subject to be Mirandized means that Obama and Holder don't want him to speak? So it's a government coverup? Then why would the FBI be allowed to interrogate him in the first place?

Rhetorical questions, of course. Better yet, take your moronic and insulting conspiracy theories elsewhere.
Actually he probably has a point. Look at the chain of command. Who ordered the magistrate to do this?fed prosecuter or Doj or maybe even holder directly.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Turk 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti34 View Post
Actually he probably has a point. Look at the chain of command. Who ordered the magistrate to do this?fed prosecuter or Doj or maybe even holder directly.
No, a magistrate would routinely do this at a status hearing in a federal case. It's tinfoil garbage to assume it came down from POTUS.

Here's a transcript of the hearing if anybody gives a ****.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ance.html?_r=0

Old
04-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
I certainly hope people aren't upset about the fact that the suspect was mirandized, and that frankly, it doesn't really matter WHO ordered it be done. Once the government established that the enemy combatant tag couldn't be clearly detailed because no link could made to an organized international terror organization, he had to be mirandized. Any mediocre defense attorney worth his or her license would otherwise be able to get everything suspect 2 said tossed and ruled inadmissable from that point on.

The point is to make the strongest case possible, not to make mistakes that ultimately weaken your ability to prosecute it.

I don't even know what the argument is anymore.

04-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
I certainly hope people aren't upset about the fact that the suspect was mirandized, and that frankly, it doesn't really matter WHO ordered it be done. Once the government established that the enemy combatant tag couldn't be clearly detailed because no link could made to an organized international terror organization, he had to be mirandized. Any mediocre defense attorney worth his or her license would otherwise be able to get everything suspect 2 said tossed and ruled inadmissable from that point on.

The point is to make the strongest case possible, not to make mistakes that ultimately weaken your ability to prosecute it.

I don't even know what the argument is anymore.
FBI wasnt happy they were only 16 hours into the 48 assumed time.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
No, a magistrate would routinely do this at a status hearing in a federal case. It's tinfoil garbage to assume it came down from POTUS.

Here's a transcript of the hearing if anybody gives a ****.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ance.html?_r=0
A rep from the us attorneys office was also present with the magistrate. Just trying to get the facts straight.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Neely08

Just got off the phone w/ a friend who attended the service at MIT yesterday for Officer Sean Collier. And, thought I'd share.

Point of interest for our Canadian members here - He said quite a few guys lost it at different times during the ceremony. But he said one thing that stood out to him was the Canadian Mounted Police in full dress uniform, carrying the Canadian flag, really meant a lot to him and other guys there. They didn't have to be there, but WERE.

He also said after the ceremony, they were invited for lunch at a reception w/ the family, and all the speakers, etc. When all the law enforcement got up to leave, they were given a loud, long, and continuous standing ovation by all the civilians present, including the Collier family. A lot of eyeballs sweating. Thought people may want to know.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Turk 16

Quote:
A rep from the us attorneys office was also present with the magistrate.
Yes, that would be the prosecutor. What's your point?

A magistrate is a form of judge at the federal level, part of the judiciary branch, and does not report to the chief executive. The US Atty and FBI are part of the Justice Department, which reports ultimately to the executive (POTUS). Different branches of government. Defendant was Mirandized by the judge (i.e. magistrate).

Re. Miranda and the public safety exception, this article is decent.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...rights/275189/

Old
04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
FBI wasnt happy they were only 16 hours into the 48 assumed time.
Perhaps. I haven't seen any information about the detailings of the questionings and if it's even out there for public consumption. The 48 hours is the maximum time that can be allotted for the exception, but it's not a concrete "this is how long we have" number.

from a 2011 FBI bulletin detailing the exception:

Quote:
Once the questions turn from those designed to resolve the concern for safety to questions designed solely to elicit incriminating statements, the questioning falls outside the scope of the exception and within the traditional rules of Miranda.
So, at some point during that questioning, it must've been determined that the scope of questioning changed and he had to be mirandized. The FBI might not have liked it. But someone made the determination that the public safety exception couldn't be used anymore or risk jeopardizing the admissibility of the information/evidence gained from that point on.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
Yes, that would be the prosecutor. What's your point?

A magistrate is a form of judge at the federal level, part of the judiciary branch, and does not report to the chief executive. The US Atty and FBI are part of the Justice Department, which reports ultimately to the executive (POTUS). Different branches of government. Defendant was Mirandized by the judge (i.e. magistrate).

Re. Miranda and the public safety exception, this article is decent.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...rights/275189/
I understand what the article is saying. It sounds to me like we were getting valuable info from the kid until he was mirandized16 hours into the 48 hour time period. Your point on the fed prosecuter attending being part of the doj shows that Holder could be involved. It seems a little random to give the FBI 16 hours of public safety exception and not 48. This isn't your typical fed trial, and whoever gave the call to mirandize the kid may have jeopardized the FBI from getting valuable information.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Turk 16

Quote:
I understand what the article is saying. It sounds to me like we were getting valuable info from the kid until he was mirandized16 hours into the 48 hour time period. Your point on the fed prosecuter attending being part of the doj shows that Holder could be involved. It seems a little random to give the FBI 16 hours of public safety exception and not 48. This isn't your typical fed trial, and it whoever gave the call to mirandize the kid may have jeopardized the FBI from getting valuable information.
The fed prosecutor has to attend because she is the ... prosecutor. Holder and the DOJ and the US Atty do not control the magistrate. So implying that the magistrate's Mirandizing the defendant was somehow orchestrated by Holder is asinine. Whatever.

Last edited by TP: 04-25-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: mod
Old
04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Just got off the phone w/ a friend who attended the service at MIT yesterday for Officer Sean Collier. And, thought I'd share.

Point of interest for our Canadian members here - He said quite a few guys lost it at different times during the ceremony. But he said one thing that stood out to him was the Canadian Mounted Police in full dress uniform, carrying the Canadian flag, really meant a lot to him and other guys there. They didn't have to be there, but WERE.

He also said after the ceremony, they were invited for lunch at a reception w/ the family, and all the speakers, etc. When all the law enforcement got up to leave, they were given a loud, long, and continuous standing ovation by all the civilians present, including the Collier family. A lot of eyeballs sweating. Thought people may want to know.
I am Canadian and I can tell you this. They DID have to be there. Law enforcment officers stick together. One of their brothers was gunned down by a couple of cowards and they were there to show support and to stand in sorrow with their other brothers and sisters.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
The fed prosecutor has to attend because she is the ... prosecutor. Holder and the DOJ and the US Atty do not control the magistrate. So implying that the magistrate's Mirandizing the defendant was somehow orchestrated by Holder is asinine. Whatever.
Turk turns out you were correct it was the judge acting on her own accord. However, the judge did run this by the doj before she did it, and they let it pass through. House intelligence com chairman sent Holder letters because he was under the impression he would stop this from happening and let the FBI have thier full48 hours.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
Perhaps. I haven't seen any information about the detailings of the questionings and if it's even out there for public consumption. The 48 hours is the maximum time that can be allotted for the exception, but it's not a concrete "this is how long we have" number.

from a 2011 FBI bulletin detailing the exception:

So, at some point during that questioning, it must've been determined that the scope of questioning changed and he had to be mirandized. The FBI might not have liked it. But someone made the determination that the public safety exception couldn't be used anymore or risk jeopardizing the admissibility of the information/evidence gained from that point on.
The statements I have heard said they would've pressed harder if they knew when the time frame was up, and they were still trying to find out if others were involved.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:48 PM
dabid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
No kidding. Devastated is the right word.

On the night it was reported Sunil Tripathi was suspect #2, someone (which I have to guess was a reporter) tweeted that something like 2 bombs were found at Brown the day the student went missing. Pretty sure it was EM who posted it here as I was following his posts like most people.

It was quite a chaotic night so I wonder if it was legit or not. Haven't heard anything about it since then.
On the scanner, probably talking about something unrelated, mentioned the last name "Mulugeta". The cop, to confirm that the last name started with M stated "M as in Mike". So suspect #1 became Mike Mulugeta. Then some guy on twitter, forget who he was affiliated with, said suspect #2 was Sunil Tripathi and he heard it on the scanner (obviously, it turned out Tripathi was never mentioned on the scanner). Then it spread around the internet like a wildfire and those two names became the suspects. That along with reports of bombs being found on Brown the day Tripathi went missing, I was convinced and shocked when NBC released the names of the real suspects at around 7 am.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
The statements I have heard said they would've pressed harder if they knew when the time frame was up, and they were still trying to find out if others were involved.
It doesn't matter about the 'time frame." That 48 hours represents the maximum allotted rather than a set length of time.

If at any point during the 48 hours where the exception has been exercised, if the questions being asked were designed to elicit incriminating details, then the suspect had to be mirandized. The exception as detailed in the FBI's own memo is very clear on that. The FBI can be upset all they want that they didn't get all the time allotted, but then I would suggest they needed to be more mindful of the lines of questioning.

As far as they "would've pressed harder if they knew when the time frame is up", are you implying that the FBI interrogator didn't know how long they'd been questioning the suspect? If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying I apologize, but I highly doubt an experienced interrogator doesn't know what time it is and/or how long they've had possession of a suspect for interrogation.

Last edited by Son of Marshmont: 04-25-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: autocorrect
Old
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Makes sense that they were on way to Times Sq. as now being reported...
They had all pipe bombs and the pressure cooker bomb in the SUV for that reason...

Gave the little angels asylum, education, housing, & welfare...

Anybody think enough is enough yet?

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
Old
04-25-2013, 04:03 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabid View Post
On the scanner, probably talking about something unrelated, mentioned the last name "Mulugeta". The cop, to confirm that the last name started with M stated "M as in Mike". So suspect #1 became Mike Mulugeta. Then some guy on twitter, forget who he was affiliated with, said suspect #2 was Sunil Tripathi and he heard it on the scanner (obviously, it turned out Tripathi was never mentioned on the scanner). Then it spread around the internet like a wildfire and those two names became the suspects. That along with reports of bombs being found on Brown the day Tripathi went missing, I was convinced and shocked when NBC released the names of the real suspects at around 7 am.
I'm almost positive I heard both Mulugeta and Tripathi on the scanner on the night of the Watertown shootout. I could be wrong, as I was awake for 30 hours straight, but maybe someone who was also glued to scanner can tell me if I'm wrong or not. If I remember correctly, I heard this before the real suspects were publicly identified by name, so perhaps those two names were just on a list of persons of interest.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:10 PM
schmautzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabid View Post
I was curious where the name Mulugetta came from.
I need to go back and read this thread from that night.
I remember it went from being the missing kid to possible turk, russian or chechnyan military.
Also, I think the missing kid rumor started from that girl who went to high school with him and thought it looked like him in the pictures.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Makes sense that they were on way to Times Sq. as now being reported...
They had all pipe bombs and the pressure cooker bomb in the SUV for that reason...

Gave the little angels asylum, education, housing, & welfare...

Anybody think enough is enough yet?
Yes sir. I don't see how stricter immigration laws are "racist" but that's what I keep hearing. I will go no further tho.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
It doesn't matter about the 'time frame." That 48 hours represents the maximum allotted rather than a set length of time.

If at any point during the 48 hours where the exception has been exercised, if the questions being asked were designed to elicit incriminating details, then the suspect had to be mirandized. The exception as detailed in the FBI's own memo is very clear on that. The FBI can be upset all they want that they didn't get all the time allotted, but then I would suggest they needed to be more mindful of the lines of questioning.

As far as they "would've pressed harder if they knew when the time frame is up", are you implying that the FBI interrogator didn't know how long they'd been questioning the suspect? If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying I apologize, but I highly doubt an experienced interrogator doesn't know what time it is and/or how long they've had possession of a suspect for interrogation.
So you'd rather the FBI not be able to get their important intel? I'd rather not defend bomber #2 and his so called rights and would hope the FBI can get everything it needs out of him.

Closed Thread