HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

"NHL dream still alive in Connecticut"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
  #176
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Rangers once again sticking it to Hartford. http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013...olf-pack-name/

Don't be surprised when the Wolf Pack are dead last in attendance next season. No joke either. They'll slink under 4,000 easily and we'll be challenging OKC and BNG. Such a shame really. Hartford always gets the shaft [MOD] We're at the mercy of our master MSG. Never have I seen a company dictate to the market and not the other way around. I guess that's the honor you have bestowed upon you when you work with the Rangers.


Last edited by NHL Hartford: 04-23-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Understand your frustration, but... easy now | Understood, sorry.
NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
  #177
rj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
Hartford will be back the day ESPN decides to own an NHL franchise.

rj is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
  #178
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
Rangers once again sticking it to Hartford. http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013...olf-pack-name/

Don't be surprised when the Wolf Pack are dead last in attendance next season. No joke either. They'll slink under 4,000 easily and we'll be challenging OKC and BNG. Such a shame really. Hartford always gets the shaft [MOD] We're at the mercy of our master MSG. Never have I seen a company dictate to the market and not the other way around. I guess that's the honor you have bestowed upon you when you work with the Rangers.
Yep... lots of people identified with the name. Average attendance will probably go down

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
  #179
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
Rangers once again sticking it to Hartford. http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013...olf-pack-name/

Don't be surprised when the Wolf Pack are dead last in attendance next season. No joke either. They'll slink under 4,000 easily and we'll be challenging OKC and BNG. Such a shame really. Hartford always gets the shaft [MOD] We're at the mercy of our master MSG. Never have I seen a company dictate to the market and not the other way around. I guess that's the honor you have bestowed upon you when you work with the Rangers.
I fail to see a strong relationship between the "Whale" brand and attendance in Hartford.

Quote:
The challenge for Global Spectrum will be boosting attendance, which has steadily declined. The franchise was third in attendance in the AHL in 1997-98 and 1998-99, and the team averaged more than 5,000 a game in each of its first nine seasons.

But with the exception of 2010-11 — when attendance was boosted by the rebranding — the franchise has drawn fewer fans in recent years. This season, the Whale (4,359 a game) are 23rd in the 30-team AHL in attendance.
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,3653740.story

2007-08: 4,405
2008-09: 4,190
2009-10: 4,188
---Rebrand---
2010-11: 5,695
2011-12: 4,573
2012-13: 4,540

Right off the AHL.com website.


Last edited by Crease: 04-24-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Crease is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 12:59 PM
  #180
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
The "Whale" brand sucks. It's too bad they couldn't buy or borrow the Whalers brand instead.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
  #181
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 27,706
vCash: 2071
What are you guys talking about? The supposedly beloved Whale brand was drawing meh compared the rest of the league, in the bottom third in fact. It only caused a brief bump in the first year, then it slid right on back to the cellar attendance-wise.

Think a couple of you are really overestimating the popularity of the cartoony whale.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 03:26 PM
  #182
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
They still draw 10% more than the season before the rebrand, and Wolf Pack attendance dipped for nine straight years before that.

It's probably fairer to say that minor league hockey affiliated to a former rival is not a winner in Hartford. The Quebec affiliate of the Habs failed out loud after a good start too.

HabsByTheBay is offline  
Old
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
  #183
Cynicaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
It's probably fairer to say that minor league hockey affiliated to a former rival is not a winner in Hartford. The Quebec affiliate of the Habs failed out loud after a good start too.
The Rangers and Whalers were rivals? I'd love to see how things would be if the Bruins were to have a hypothetical falling out with Providence and moved their AHL affiliation to Hartford where those who don't have it out for Jacobs hopped on the Bruins bandwagon.

Any team that's in a rival's territory is going to have issues. See Hamilton and Abbottsford as exhibits A and B.

Cynicaps is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 12:53 AM
  #184
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Everyone connected w/ the AHL Knew the CT Whale fiasco was a gimmick and wouldn't last long anyway, to those that didn't understand, Whalers couldn't be used because it's a trademarked marketing ie alumni copyright law, Baldwin owned the Whale copyright hence why it was rebranded (the other issue was mid-season, who does that)

WTIC is now reporting that the Rangers and MSG will return to the Hartford Wolf*Pack branding which had been synomimous since their arrival in 1997. details to be announced shortly

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
  #185
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
105 games under the Whale brand drew an average of 5,104.41/game. The Wolf Pack brand hasn't seen 5,000/game since 2004/05.

Let's all remember how we got to this point in the first place.. the Wolf Pack's attendance dipped for 10 straight years! The Rangers we're on the verge of pulling out of Hartford, instead Baldwin stepped in and attempted to turn things around. Baldwin overreached no doubt, but the 25k rent that AEG charged him ("most ominous in AHL") defiantly drained him and the Rangers refusing to work with AEG to make the lease workable didn't help matters.

The Rangers for all intents and purposes watched Baldwin wither on the vine and couldn't wait to strip the Whale brand out of Hartford once again. They didn't even bother asking any of the fans before doing so.

The whole Rangers existence in Hartford has been mired in veiled low blows. No one thought the name Wolf Pack was insensitive back in 1997? And the name doesn't even have anything to do with Hartford. The Rangers should have been gone this past season, but since Global Spectrum decided to hand them over the largest affiliation fee in the league they'll be here for the next 3 years. And I'll be counting down the days till this nightmare is over.

NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:31 PM
  #186
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,658
vCash: 500
i dont understand the reasoning. This season, the whale brand was equal to the pack at worst. Before that, it was clearly doing better.

why the re-re-brandng?

danishh is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:33 PM
  #187
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
In 2 1/2 years the Whale drew 4 of the 10 largest crowds in Hartford AHL history.


Last edited by NHL Hartford: 04-25-2013 at 07:20 PM.
NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:38 PM
  #188
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont understand the reasoning. This season, the whale brand was equal to the pack at worst. Before that, it was clearly doing better.

why the re-re-brandng?
The official reason is the Rangers wanted to distance themselves from Baldwin and the Whale. There were talks about the Rangers not wanting to pay Baldwin for use of the Whale brand and Pucky, but Global Spectrum told MSG they would pick up the tab so that's not the reason. The easiest answer is probably the closest to the truth, the Rangers just simply don't care about what's best for Hartford and they probably couldn't pass up the opportunity to stick it to Whalers fans again. The choke-hold on this market hasn't exactly grown the fanbase into NY lite clones like they imagined and their squatting is costing Hartford the opportunity for a fresh start with a neutral affiliate. They create this drama and they've driven a wedge between fanbases, if that was their intended goal to suppress the market they're doing an A+ job.


Last edited by NHL Hartford: 04-25-2013 at 04:46 PM.
NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:46 PM
  #189
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Everyone connected w/ the AHL Knew the CT Whale fiasco was a gimmick and wouldn't last long anyway, to those that didn't understand, Whalers couldn't be used because it's a trademarked marketing ie alumni copyright law, Baldwin owned the Whale copyright hence why it was rebranded (the other issue was mid-season, who does that)
Wrong once again Hutch. Global Spectrum offered to purchase the Whale brand from Baldwin, but the Rangers were dead set on making the switch back to the failed Wolf Pack.


Last edited by NHL Hartford: 04-25-2013 at 07:18 PM.
NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:52 PM
  #190
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
The "Whale" brand sucks. It's too bad they couldn't buy or borrow the Whalers brand instead.
The Whalers brand would be pretty expensive to buy considering it's a top 10 seller in the entire NHL. That was also the reason why the NHL told Baldwin no. He wanted to use Connecticut Whalers from the start and also preferred Hartford Whale, but was told no.

NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  #191
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
The Rangers couldn't even be bothered to make any sort of statement to the fans about the name change.

NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:22 PM
  #192
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
What are you guys talking about? The supposedly beloved Whale brand was drawing meh compared the rest of the league, in the bottom third in fact. It only caused a brief bump in the first year, then it slid right on back to the cellar attendance-wise.

Think a couple of you are really overestimating the popularity of the cartoony whale.
We're not saying it was leap and bounds, but the Wolf Pack is clearly a step backwards and is really uncalled for. Let's also keep in mind the Whale haven't even been promoted these past 2 seasons. Baldwin because of the rent was drained by the 2nd season and AEG didn't want to spend $ on promotions when they were only handling the business operations as a place holder for the year.


Last edited by NHL Hartford: 04-25-2013 at 07:22 PM.
NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 07:34 PM
  #193
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
The official reason is the Rangers wanted to distance themselves from Baldwin and the Whale. There were talks about the Rangers not wanting to pay Baldwin for use of the Whale brand and Pucky, but Global Spectrum told MSG they would pick up the tab so that's not the reason. The easiest answer is probably the closest to the truth, the Rangers just simply don't care about what's best for Hartford and they probably couldn't pass up the opportunity to stick it to Whalers fans again. The choke-hold on this market hasn't exactly grown the fanbase into NY lite clones like they imagined and their squatting is costing Hartford the opportunity for a fresh start with a neutral affiliate. They create this drama and they've driven a wedge between fanbases, if that was their intended goal to suppress the market they're doing an A+ job.
That's a bold claim, no pun intended. Any particular reason why Rangers ownership would deliberately irritate folks who fill their pockets? A drop in the bucket, yes, but still. This is what you're suggesting.

Crease is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:55 PM
  #194
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
That's a bold claim, no pun intended. Any particular reason why Rangers ownership would deliberately irritate folks who fill their pockets? A drop in the bucket, yes, but still. This is what you're suggesting.
The money doesn't go to MSG it goes to AEG currently and Global Spectrum after they take control of the XL Center in August. I know GS preferred the Whale brand over Wolf Pack and made that clear to the Rangers even going as far to proposing buying the Whale from Baldwin. I know it's a drop in the bucket, but maybe they don't want additional $ going to the rival Flyers? Shear indifference? To keep Hartford suppressed as a hockey market? Maybe a combination of things? I don't know. Either way it's the wrong move and attendance under the Wolf Pack brand will continue to suffer and there's no way they didn't see the Wolf Pack trending downwards before the re-brand to Whale.


Last edited by NHL Hartford: 04-25-2013 at 10:00 PM.
NHL Hartford is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:07 PM
  #195
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
That's a bold claim, no pun intended. Any particular reason why Rangers ownership would deliberately irritate folks who fill their pockets? A drop in the bucket, yes, but still. This is what you're suggesting.
this is what you're forgetting, Crease:

CT/HFD never was a Rangers affiliate until at least 1980, when the Rangers took initial control in Binghamton....

what most of you don't realize is this franchise is as old as Hershey is (and they're the 7th oldest franchise in pro hockey trailing the O-6 in the NHL.

THIS franchise was created as the Providence Reds in 1926, lasting all the way in PRO UNTIL 1977, before going to Binghamton as the Dusters after being rejected by the AHL from splitting games between PRO and POR, ONCE PRO HOCKEY arrived w/ the Flyers backing in Portland in 1977, the last season of the Reds at least until 1992, when the Bruins pulled out of POR, FOR PRO

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
  #196
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
The money doesn't go to MSG it goes to AEG currently and Global Spectrum after they take control of the XL Center in August. I know GS preferred the Whale brand over Wolf Pack and made that clear to the Rangers, I know it's a drop in the bucket, but maybe they don't want additional $ going to the rival Flyers? Shear indifference? To keep Hartford suppressed as a hockey market? Maybe a combination of things? I don't know. Either way it's the wrong move and attendance under the Wolf Pack brand will continue to suffer and there's no way they didn't see the Wolf Pack trending downwards before the re-brand to Whale.
YOU'RE FORGETTING, bobo, GS has nothing to do w/ the Flyers, because they just happen to be 2 ancillary businesses, that are commonly controlled by Snider and that loser who's killing the Flyers brand in Lukko, aka Puke-ko, also now since Snider got Comcast involved in his ancillary business (remember the company was once known as and still is in some circles known as Comcast-Spectacor(THAT'S actually what GS was originally known as. Same goes for any management company that has managing control over arenas, as AEG does as well.

the major issue w/ Hartford lies with why Karmanos finally bailed out and took his team to Carolina, and why there hasn't been and won't be a newer facility in Hartford....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
  #197
Kevyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
this is what you're forgetting, Crease:

CT/HFD never was a Rangers affiliate until at least 1980, when the Rangers took initial control in Binghamton....

what most of you don't realize is this franchise is as old as Hershey is (and they're the 7th oldest franchise in pro hockey trailing the O-6 in the NHL.

THIS franchise was created as the Providence Reds in 1926, lasting all the way in PRO UNTIL 1977, before going to Binghamton as the Dusters after being rejected by the AHL from splitting games between PRO and POR, ONCE PRO HOCKEY arrived w/ the Flyers backing in Portland in 1977, the last season of the Reds at least until 1992, when the Bruins pulled out of POR, FOR PRO

The Springfield Indians (currently the Peoria Rivermen) were founded in 1926 too.

Kevyn is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:41 PM
  #198
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevyn View Post
The Springfield Indians (currently the Peoria Rivermen) were founded in 1926 too.
so what, Kevyn, what's the symbolism between either franchise..... St. Louis was encouraged to buy them, not once, but twice, and force a relocation in 1994, leaving Worcester w/o a franchise for a season... Springfield then got the Falcons didn't they as part of the deal which is why Boe left for Bridgeport because you cannot operate two teams in the same league, that has nothing to do with why Hartford is reverting back to its moniker between 1997-2010.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 06:24 AM
  #199
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
The Rangers and Whalers were rivals? I'd love to see how things would be if the Bruins were to have a hypothetical falling out with Providence and moved their AHL affiliation to Hartford where those who don't have it out for Jacobs hopped on the Bruins bandwagon.

Any team that's in a rival's territory is going to have issues. See Hamilton and Abbottsford as exhibits A and B.
A Bruins affiliates might do slightly better considering Hartford probably tilts more towards the Boston teams than the New York teams but I think a fresh start would be really helpful for Hartford. A Western Conference team would be great, especially because I could imagine them having less hangups with using a Whaler-inspired branding.

HabsByTheBay is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
  #200
NHL Hartford
Registered User
 
NHL Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Jeff Jacobs: Why Go From Whale Back to Failed Wolf Pack? | http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...0,51622.column

NHL Hartford is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.