HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fix the Oilers.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:00 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Team needs to get bigger and tougher in its top 9 and needs to get some defence. So,
1. Fire Lowe and MacT. And actually go out and interview people to find who shares the vision of the owner and hire whomever is best for the job.
2. Trade Gagner and Hemsky and target players with size. Gagner is a good player but he doesn't fit the mix of Oiler players. They need size especially if they're keeping both Eberle and RNH in the top 6.
3. Dump the washed out vets who are just going through the motions. I would keep Horcoff as he always looks like he is giving it his all and you need players like him. Smyth should be gone.
4. Trade this years pick and some of the assets above and get a good young defenceman. Trade other picks and assets for a veteran defencman.

Realistically this can't be done in a year but there needs to be some major movement this upcoming year. They need to start improving before the young guys just grow tired of this.

Last edited by vanwest: 04-25-2013 at 04:05 PM.
vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Drafting a defenseman is a good idea because the oilers wont be competitive for the next few years anyway.
Or, like other people are saying, make a trade for someone established and get competitive that route instead. Drafting a dman for immediate help is a dumb idea. Who would mentor him?

The only way a team should draft a dman is if hes the bpa. You never draft for need.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Cawz

Its pretty funny how the thread criticizing the Avs gets shut down, but not a similar thread about the Oilers.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:21 PM
StringerBell

Overpay for Scuderi or Regehr, Weiss (short two year deal) and Boyd Gordon. Trade Gagner for Gormley, draft Monahan first and then add some beef in the next few rounds. They probably won't be good next year, but the year after they'll be a playoff team.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:24 PM
InjuredChoker

Hire Jim Nill.

Do what he says.

Enjoy.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:29 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
but they've done that! They took Marincin (who looks to be showing some good promise as a first year pro) in the 2nd round the year they took Hall, They took Klefbom with their next pick after they got RNH, they took Musil in the 2nd round as well, then there's a few guys they drafted later who have shown some good things as well... But it takes more than 3 years for defencemen who aren't at the top of the draft to go from draft pick to NHL player. Hell it took Petry like 5 years to make the NHL and that's not even an obscene amount of time and he's still in a position where he has to do more than he's ready for.

It's not the drafting that is the oilers problem, it's failing to bring in vets to help the young players. I mean seriously write up a list of Oiler players who have turned in good performances this year, guarantee there's no one in the late 20s on that list.... Maybe Smid I guess he's gotten into that age group.
2010 2nd round, Alex Petrovic and Justin Faulk are 2 notables Edm could of picked instead of Pitlick, 2009 Orlov and Barrie were available. Bad drafting without the number 1 pick is the exact reason why they haven't improved. They have no support. Gagner draft year they had 3 1st round pick and Gagner is the only NHLer out of the group. Not saying they need to get NHLer with every pick, but you need to be able to pick up some gems without a gimme. I would say most successful teams have some very important players picked in the later rounds.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Its pretty funny how the thread criticizing the Avs gets shut down, but not a similar thread about the Oilers.
Because that thread was asking why the Avs don't get criticized, and the length proved that they do, so the inquiry was answered and the thread closed.

The inquiry in this thread, has no answer.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Hire Jim Nill.

Do what he says.

Enjoy.
This would have been a great choice. Lowe will be Lowe.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:53 PM
16 To Stanley*

trade one of their young studs for a young defensive stud.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Eberle
1st

for

Lucic
Bergeron

or

Eberle
1st

for

Ladd
Trouba
Thornburn

Both trades will make the Oilers a much better team going forward.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Eberle
1st

for

Lucic
Bergeron

or

Eberle
1st

for

Ladd
Trouba
Thornburn

Both trades will make the Oilers a much better team going forward.
That first one is horrible for Boston. The second one seems like an overpayment from Edmonton.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:04 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
That first one is horrible for Boston. The second one seems like an overpayment from Edmonton.
Well, Ladd is at a level equal to or higher than Eberle and Trouba is filling in to be an excellent prospect.

Jets don't touch it.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
1. Fire Lowe and MacT. And actually go out and interview people to find who shares the vision of the owner and hire whomever is best for the job.
I think this is actually the biggest problem. Katz seems obsessed with having guys from the Cup teams run the Oilers. He hasn't been willing to bring in the right guys so long as "the right guys" means non-Oilers.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Since 2007 the Oilers have had 8 first round pick slots: 6, 15, 21, 22, 10, 1, 1, and 1.

During that time they have drafted one first round Defenseman: Alex Plante, picked in the 15th slot in 2007.

7 first round forward picks and 1 defender.

Getting a #1 defenseman is hard in the best of times, but next to impossible if it's not a priority for the GM.
Wasn't Klefbom taken 19th in 2011? Am I missing something?

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not going to read the bash fest in here but Ralph Krueger is the worst coach I've ever seen in the NHL. He wants them to just stay tight defensively and wait for chances to score on the PP. Even when we are down on the scoreboard he runs that system. He has said it multiple times in the media that they aren't being patient enough and waiting for opportunities. When we are up going into the 3rd period, our record is terrible because he wants them to sit back instead of going for insurance goals. We have blown multiple games doing this. He has said they feel confident in the skills competition (shootout) yet our record in the SO says otherwise. In his post game media comments he usually says something like "we've got to find our... something something something" and I always just think to myself.. isn't that your ****ing job Ralph? The Oilers play with no structure, no breakout, no offensive zone plays. It's free willy out there for them. They are all uninspired and unmotivated to give any kind of effort under him. Hard to believe the last of the four coaches in five years is actually the worst of all of them.

He better be gone by next season. It's baffling how this man has become an NHL head coach. Oh, almost forgot to mention.. he scratches Ryan Smyth earlier this year and says "we can't feel sorry for anyone in a shortened season." After that Smytty played the rest of the year and even was given opportunities to jump up in the lineup when someone went down. He's also usually our extra attacker when our goalie is pulled. Ryan Smyth is the worst player on the Oilers. The fans know it, the media knows it, for some reason Krueger doesn't.

I'll give MacTavish a chance as GM because from the sounds of it he's completely serious on making big changes. I hope Lowe is canned in the summer, but I know it won't happen.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Wasn't Klefbom taken 19th in 2011? Am I missing something?
Yes he was. Buddy forgot about the first from la.

As for the topic on hand. Paajarvi + 2013 2nd + 2014 1st for Ryan Miller. Maybe add a dman(vet) like scuderi and edm is set. Back when buffalo played a high tempo high offense game Miller was able to hold the fort and make timely saves. Thats all edm needed this year. There was a game when they were right in the hunt and Dubnyk let in a few softies and completely demoralized the team. Havent seen them play with piss and vinegar since.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:37 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
2010 2nd round, Alex Petrovic and Justin Faulk are 2 notables Edm could of picked instead of Pitlick, 2009 Orlov and Barrie were available. Bad drafting without the number 1 pick is the exact reason why they haven't improved. They have no support. Gagner draft year they had 3 1st round pick and Gagner is the only NHLer out of the group. Not saying they need to get NHLer with every pick, but you need to be able to pick up some gems without a gimme. I would say most successful teams have some very important players picked in the later rounds.
and you think if they'd taken one of those defencemen instead of Pitlick the NHL team would be better off today? I don't, you seem to be missing the entire point... it's not the prospects or young players that are holding the Oilers back, it's the sad sack group of veterans that are holding the oilers back. Relying on young players that heavily is a recipe for losing, different young players wouldn't change that.

yes the 2007 draft was a poor one in hindsight... but it was after that the scouting department was overhauled (never mind that the 07 draft was pretty weak to start with)

I really think you will see some gems for the oilers from the later rounds, trouble is the oilers system was such a cluster**** until 3 or 4 years ago that they essentially hit the reset button at that time and it takes more than 3 or 4 years generally for those late round gems to show up, especially when your team is already top heavy with young players, hard for them to get time in the NHL when there's so much youth already there.

Just saying "bad drafting" is simplistic and ignoring a lot of the other factors. I'll listen to arguments about how good the development is, about how poor the FA pick ups have been, about how poor the trading has been, but drafting is the least of the oilers problems.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Well, Ladd is at a level equal to or higher than Eberle and Trouba is filling in to be an excellent prospect.

Jets don't touch it.
Ladd is 5 years older than Eberle, who has already put up better numbers than Ladd ever has and our 1st is going to be top 5 in one of the deepest drafts in a while. I love Trouba but don't know if he's on the same level as one of the top 5 prospects this year.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

Acquire Shea Weber

Ubi Sunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:15 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
and you think if they'd taken one of those defencemen instead of Pitlick the NHL team would be better off today? I don't, you seem to be missing the entire point... it's not the prospects or young players that are holding the Oilers back, it's the sad sack group of veterans that are holding the oilers back. Relying on young players that heavily is a recipe for losing, different young players wouldn't change that.

yes the 2007 draft was a poor one in hindsight... but it was after that the scouting department was overhauled (never mind that the 07 draft was pretty weak to start with)

I really think you will see some gems for the oilers from the later rounds, trouble is the oilers system was such a cluster**** until 3 or 4 years ago that they essentially hit the reset button at that time and it takes more than 3 or 4 years generally for those late round gems to show up, especially when your team is already top heavy with young players, hard for them to get time in the NHL when there's so much youth already there.

Just saying "bad drafting" is simplistic and ignoring a lot of the other factors. I'll listen to arguments about how good the development is, about how poor the FA pick ups have been, about how poor the trading has been, but drafting is the least of the oilers problems.
I don't think it's far-fetched to say Edmonton has drafted badly outside the first round. Too early to tell on the recent guys but going back a few years, not a lot of quality depth players picked late like you need to be successful. The franchise really was a black hole before they began their tank years.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:48 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post

Jets don't touch it.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:59 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Kevin Lowe says more than half the teams in the league would trade rosters with the Oilers. So, find one in the playoffs, and make that trade. Problem solved

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:22 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
I don't think it's far-fetched to say Edmonton has drafted badly outside the first round. Too early to tell on the recent guys but going back a few years, not a lot of quality depth players picked late like you need to be successful. The franchise really was a black hole before they began their tank years.

but that's exactly the point. It was a different scouting team prior to 2008 so putting the current people under the microscope for what happened prior to that is of questionable value, there is a reason the Oilers wound up in their tank years... and prior to those tank years the farm system was a complete and utter mess as well, but that was changed up coinciding with the NHL rebuilding as well. More time is required to fully judge how all that has worked out just because there's only been the 4 drafts since all these changes took place and it usually takes much more time for the late picks to really show up.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
They also drafted Klefbom at #19. Add in that they signed Justin Scultz last year, with Marincin and Musil in the system and the young dman picture is a little different than you suggest. What they need to do is add experience on the backend not more youth.
From my perspective though, you shouldn't count on young d-men to contribute until their 3rd NHL season at the earliest. That would translate to the 2015-16 season, at which point all of the guys on the roster will be off their ELC.

There are certainly exceptions (Brodin), but those guys typically are playing with a stud #1, which the Oilers definitely lack.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:28 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Kevin Lowe says more than half the teams in the league would trade rosters with the Oilers. So, find one in the playoffs, and make that trade. Problem solved
When a guy has as many cup rings as Kevin Lowe you don't dismiss his views lightly.
I wonder what the first level fans think about that though.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote