HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Coffe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
McDavid isn't eligible until 2015.

If we're tanking next year, I want Ekblad.

Yeah, I know. But if we tank in the 14/15 season wouldn't that give us a high pick in the 2015 draft?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:55 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Speaking of Eichel, was there any possibility of him getting EPS instead of committing to Boston U, which is obviously still years off for him?

Does the CHL only grant Canadian players EPS?
As a Boston University student and fan, I'm praying he doesn't. He really isn't that far away from playing at BU, he'll play for the USNTDP again next year, and then his freshman season at BU would be 2014-2015, his draft year.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
Yeah, I know. But if we tank in the 14/15 season wouldn't that give us a high pick in the 2015 draft?
Oh, right, I just misinterpreted the meaning of the / haha

Old
04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
As a Boston University student and fan, I'm praying he doesn't. He really isn't that far away from playing at BU, he'll play for the USNTDP again next year, and then his freshman season at BU would be 2014-2015, his draft year.
Halifax is going to put the full-court pressure on him this summer probably.

I guess Halifax makes more sense because he's already a big kid and a high talent that isn't raw. He's still a good enough player to where it shouldn't really matter that much where he goes though.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Coffe

Quote:
Oh, right, I just misinterpreted the meaning of the / haha
Haha, I see.

And how pathetic am I for proposing that we tank two seasons from now.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Call me un-American, but I just hate to see highly touted prospects playing at the collegiate level, especially kids who have the natural talent level of Eichel. IMO, he'd be much better suited playing against other top prospects in the chl.

It's probably an unfounded belief. I mean plenty of great players have come out of the collegiate ranks, but they're fewer in number as compared to the developmental capabilities of the chl.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:33 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Call me un-American, but I just hate to see highly touted prospects playing at the collegiate level, especially kids who have the natural talent level of Eichel. IMO, he'd be much better suited playing against other top prospects in the chl.

It's probably an unfounded belief. I mean plenty of great players have come out of the collegiate ranks, but they're fewer in number as compared to the developmental capabilities of the chl.
higher percentages of Americans are going into the NHL draft every year it seems. i know a good chuck of them play in the CHL but if all young American players went that route then the programs here would never improve. i know it'll take a long time but eventually i think we'll see the gap between developmental programs (Canada and USA) narrow considerably but only if quality players decide to stay in America.

as you said a few great players have already come out of college programs, Toews specifically comes to mind and that number should go up considerably in the next 20 or so years. i think he came out of the WCHA if i'm not mistaken which is kinda funny considering he's Canadian.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
ICYMI - #Flyers prospect and #ADKPhantoms goalie Cal Heeter (@Heeter1) was named to Team USA for the World Championships beginning May 3.
Source: Anthony SanFilippo @AnthonySan37

Ben Bishop is the starter but it's still kind of shocking they're going with Heeter despite many established players usually passing up this tournament.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
higher percentages of Americans are going into the NHL draft every year it seems. i know a good chuck of them play in the CHL but if all young American players went that route then the programs here would never improve. i know it'll take a long time but eventually i think we'll see the gap between developmental programs (Canada and USA) narrow considerably but only if quality players decide to stay in America.

as you said a few great players have already come out of college programs, Toews specifically comes to mind and that number should go up considerably in the next 20 or so years. i think he came out of the WCHA if i'm not mistaken which is kinda funny considering he's Canadian.
The USNTDP and the USHL have been pumping out a lot of players lately. The CHL and NCAA are both good options in different ways.

The CHL is geared more to players who are physically ready and closer to the NHL. The NCAA is geared more to players who aren't as physically ready and not as close to the NHL. Players like Toews though are good enough to where it doesn't really matter which route they go.

The US produces a ton of quality players but are lacking a generational player (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos etc.) at this point. I will say this though the US has the best track record for developing goaltenders out of all the countries recently.

Most of the recent US kids who went up to Canada to play were either with the USNTDP or USHL prior to that so the US is still doing the bulk of the work in developing these kids. It just came down to where they wanted to go after that or the team they were drafted by pushed them to go up there.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-25-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 02:36 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
#23 in White

at :37 you can see him tied up with another guy at about 5 o'clock at the center-ice circle. then at the :59 mark, he's at the center-ice dot with the same guy and they seem to be beginning to fight. at 1:10 he's taken the guy down to the ice and they stay there for a bit. at 1:43 they're both up and drinking it all in. at 3:30 you see him leave the ice

this was pretty weak brawl to be honest. they all look like a bunch of greasy kris letang's slapping each other with their gloves on, aside from a few

and you wonder why there's no respect in the NHL with these young guys coming into the league. Those players from Armada start acting like idiots at the end of the game. no wonder a brawl broke out
I'm biased in favour of the Armada (I live about 15 minutes from their arena), but I don't see them as being the instigators. Sure, the one Armada player was obviously chirping at the Drakkar players coming out of their zone to end the game, but the Drakkar player was the aggressor. Then both teams come in en masse at about the same time.

And, yeah, it's a weak "brawl" when the best punches are thrown by the goalies.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:13 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm biased in favour of the Armada (I live about 15 minutes from their arena), but I don't see them as being the instigators. Sure, the one Armada player was obviously chirping at the Drakkar players coming out of their zone to end the game, but the Drakkar player was the aggressor. Then both teams come in en masse at about the same time.

And, yeah, it's a weak "brawl" when the best punches are thrown by the goalies.
I'm biased toward the armada too, but only because their jerseys/design/branding is phenomenal.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Heeter was called up for the USA WC squad. Noebels for Germany's squad.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Interesting.

If I were him, I'd probably opt for Halifax, but being a MA kid, he probably wants to play for Boston U.

I think Halifax would be a better choice for his development though.
Just imagine for 1 sec....MacKinnon, Drouin, Frk, Fucale and Eichel all on the same team!!!

Old
04-25-2013, 06:04 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Just imagine for 1 sec....MacKinnon, Drouin, Frk, Fucale and Eichel all on the same team!!!
While I agree that would be ridiculous, I doubt Mackinnon or Douin will be playing for Halifax next season with the recent trend of high draft picks playing right away.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:13 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

the big Dane has come a ways in the last few weeks, I doubt he'll get much of a look next year with a healthy corps, no room, give him big minutes on the farm, maybe the year after

Old
04-25-2013, 11:37 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
There is basically a 0% chance that either Drouin or MacKinnon is playing in the Q next year. They're NHL players. Playing on a team where the main stars are Martin Frk and Zach Fucale is much less attractive.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Since we were talking about it yesterday. It's going to be USA vs. Canada in the U18 Gold Medal game on Sunday. Eichel vs. McDavid.

The US is also going for their 5th straight U18 Gold medal.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-26-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old
04-26-2013, 08:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

London blew a 4 goal lead. Games tied up at 4 late into the 3rd. Possibly going to OT. Hunter elected to sit on a lead and it backfired.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:04 PM
RussianRocket10

Knights score 20 seconds into OT. They're headed to the OHL Finals! Stolarz with 37 saves on 41 shots.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Baie-Comeau won 2-1 in OT. Straka had a goal. Baie-Comeau up 3-2 in the series now.

Blainsville-Boisbriand's normal backup goalie had to start tonight because of suspensions from the brawl. He got hurt during the game and they had to go to their normal 3rd string goalie to finish the game.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:12 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Loose pucks
Laviolette would offer no indication as to who dresses and who sits in the season finale against Ottawa … Mike Knuble has been a healthy scratch six of his last seven games and would like one more skate with the Flyers … Call-up Jason Akeson figures to be a look in the final game … Laviolette said his goal remains “to win a hockey game,” which will take precedence over the lineup, you have to think with him. Flyers could finish 23-22-3 which the players want to see happen. The club has won five of its last six games ... Marc-Andre Bourdon (post-concussion syndrome) skated with the Flyers for the first time in 2013. He was unavailable.
source: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...h-inexperience

first update in a while. i couldn't find an updated injury thread so i decided to post this here. if you hadn't noticed it also said that Akeson could be the Flyers final game of the season tomorrow.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
source: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...h-inexperience

first update in a while. i couldn't find an updated injury thread so i decided to post this here. if you hadn't noticed it also said that Akeson could be the Flyers final game of the season tomorrow.
A win could move Philly from #8 pick overall to #12!!!

Old
04-26-2013, 10:31 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Knights score 20 seconds into OT. They're headed to the OHL Finals! Stolarz with 37 saves on 41 shots.
Highlights:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index

Old
04-26-2013, 11:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Portland won 4-1. Taylor Leier scored a goal. Portland wins the series over Kamloops 4-1.

Portland advances to the WHL Finals for the 3rd year in a row.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:35 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Portland won 4-1. Taylor Leier scored a goal. Portland wins the series over Kamloops 4-1.

Portland advances to the WHL Finals for the 3rd year in a row.
Good chance to have Leier, Stolarz, and Straka in the Memorial Cup semis. I'd LOVE to see Portland and London go through a 7 game battle for the Memorial Cup, though I feel Portland would bring a defensive element that London hasn't seen all season.

Closed Thread