HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

Realistically don't think he will win though. Maybe a nominee?
Hopefully. It's just a shame that Brodin IS the criteria for the trophy (most proficient in his first year), and he won't win it because NHL awards have turned into a points contest.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Brodeur win the Vezina because he has a goal.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 300
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Brodin: youngest D-man in NHL...23:15 TOI / game...since 2001 only 7 rookie D-men have averaged over 23 / game..#1 in rookie D-men takeaways
http://twitter.com/TH2NSTATSGUY/stat...54729108455424
Quote:
No question in my mind that Brodin should be nominated for the Calder Trophy
http://twitter.com/TH2NSTATSGUY/stat...55159674720258

Old
04-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
To me, of the front runners, Saad is the least deserving, not because he isn't good, but he has such a great supporting cast.

If I had to pick a forward, I choose Huberdeau; he hasn't had much help at all on that team. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best of the bunch long term either; if I were Florida's GM I wouldn't trade him for Saad, Conacher, or Gallagher, not even close.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
RomersWorld

Wow, it would be a travesty if Huberdeau won this award.

Watching the Leafs/Panthers basically shows why he doesn't deserve it. He just turned the puck over 4 times in one shift, getting thrown around and off the puck with basically no effort at all. Maybe he will get a point when the game is out of reach to help his point totals.

He offers nothing to help his team win except if he gets enough space, or the defense/goalie falls asleep and he can work his magic offensively. Luckily for him he plays in the worst division in hockey so he caught them napping a decent amount of times. Still, he isn't as good of a player as Gallagher or Saad so he shouldn't win the award. There is a reason Gallagher and Saad each were voted rookie of the year of their respective conferences via the coaches poll. But what do the coaches know anyways...Huberdeau has 2 more points afterall.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:05 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Wow, it would be a travesty if Huberdeau won this award.

Watching the Leafs/Panthers basically shows why he doesn't deserve it. He just turned the puck over 4 times, getting thrown around and off the puck with basically no effort at all.

He offers nothing to help his team win except if he gets enough space, or the defense/goalie falls asleep and he can work his magic offensively. Luckily for him he plays in the worst division in hockey so he caught them napping a decent amount of times. Still, he isn't as good of a player as Gallagher or Saad so he shouldn't win the award. There is a reason Gallagher and Saad each were voted rookie of the year of their respective conferences via the coaches poll. But what do the coaches know anyways...Huberdeau has 2 more points afterall.
That one game definitely proves it, yup. That one game on a team that is filled to the brim with rookies and AHL callups.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Huberdeau
Conacher
Yakupov/Saad

Old
04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Huberdeau
Conacher
Yakupov/Saad
Gallagher has to be on any top 4 list and he is my favorite to win it.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Callagher probably wins it. Huberdeau has been really inconsistent and doesn't help his team in other areas if he isn't scoring.

That and the fact that Callagher plays for a whole lot more media sexy market, Huberdeau winning it does nothing for the league in terms of value.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
To me, of the front runners, Saad is the least deserving, not because he isn't good, but he has such a great supporting cast.

If I had to pick a forward, I choose Huberdeau; he hasn't had much help at all on that team. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best of the bunch long term either; if I were Florida's GM I wouldn't trade him for Saad, Conacher, or Gallagher, not even close.
Do you think those other GM's would trade their guy for Huberdeau? Not saying those guys are necessarily gonna be as good as him, but usually (save Yzerman in Tampa), GM's don't trade their young guys, especially young guys in the Calder race.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:30 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Callagher probably wins it. Huberdeau has been really inconsistent and doesn't help his team in other areas if he isn't scoring.

That and the fact that Callagher plays for a whole lot more media sexy market, Huberdeau winning it does nothing for the league in terms of value.
Hes not inconsistent at all. Hes just dead tired like the announcers have said he has played A LOT of hockey this year in between juniors and WJC etc..

Old
04-25-2013, 08:38 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Hes not inconsistent at all. Hes just dead tired like the announcers have said he has played A LOT of hockey this year in between juniors and WJC etc..
Any way it is, it's not increasing his chances of winning it.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Hopefully. It's just a shame that Brodin IS the criteria for the trophy (most proficient in his first year), and he won't win it because NHL awards have turned into a points contest.
You're selling Huberdeau short, yes Brodin has had a great season and should be a finalist but Huberdeau is having a great rookie season with a very bad supporting cast. It wouldn't be a robbery at all if he wins it, watch a Panthers game and chances are he'll be the only player you notice.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Fantomas

1. Brodin
2. Huberdeau
3. Gallagher

Old
04-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

Watching Brodin play reminds me way too much of Jackman in his rookie season.

Suter - Brodin
MacInnis - Jackman

My choice is Huberdeau.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Do you think those other GM's would trade their guy for Huberdeau? Not saying those guys are necessarily gonna be as good as him, but usually (save Yzerman in Tampa), GM's don't trade their young guys, especially young guys in the Calder race.
They would ALL trade their guy for Huberdeau IMO.

Huberdeau has the highest ceiling, and it ain't even close.

Conacher is a shrimp, as is Gallagher. and Saad is good, But they are all older than Huberdeau, and all have better teammates to inflate their stats.

Coyle and Brodin are the only Wild guys I wouldn't trade for Huberdeau.

I do believe Brodin deserves it though. Incredible performance from a 19 year old.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
They would ALL trade their guy for Huberdeau IMO.

Huberdeau has the highest ceiling, and it ain't even close.

Conacher is a shrimp, as is Gallagher. and Saad is good, But they are all older than Huberdeau, and all have better teammates to inflate their stats.

Coyle and Brodin are the only Wild guys I wouldn't trade for Huberdeau.

I do believe Brodin deserves it though. Incredible performance from a 19 year old.
Are you implying that size is an issue for Gallagher?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:53 PM
sailorjerry96

yup. here pumping my own players tires but Yakupov is only 2 pts away from rookie scoring lead. Not to mention he has been playing with players like Belanger and Smyth for most part of the season until recently where his linemates have been Paajarvi and Horcoff/Gagner. Not to say huberdeau is amazing either

Old
04-25-2013, 09:57 PM
sharks9

Gallagher just tied Huberdeau for the rookie goal scoring lead tonight and Galchenyuk gets a point so now they're both tied for 3rd in rookie points.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
yup. here pumping my own players tires but Yakupov is only 2 pts away from rookie scoring lead. Not to mention he has been playing with players like Belanger and Smyth for most part of the season until recently where his linemates have been Paajarvi and Horcoff/Gagner. Not to say huberdeau is amazing either
Nice try but Oiler fans have already told us his linemates. Hall and Gagner lately.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Are you implying that size is an issue for Gallagher?
Hell yeah - It's a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe the Eastern Conference is soft, but 5'8" 174? Sorry, that's wee. Huberdeau has the chance to grow into 6'1" 190 something. I like his chances.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post

Very much a copy out since all of the rookies in this race played as much. That is also the reason many of the rookies and call ups looked great at the start since they were game shape ready.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Nice try but Oiler fans have already told us his linemates. Hall and Gagner lately.
yea for 1-2 whole games if I remember correctly

He gets thrown out on a new line every game. He was on a line with 2 AHL players in Lander and Hartikainen recently and Paajarvi Horcoff last game, yet he still produces. Most Oilers fans would say he deserves the top line spot.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
shogun99

Quote:
He played 1 period one game with Hall and RNH, then two periods another game with Hall and Gagner.he spent the first 6 games on his off wing with Gagner and Hemsky. Other then that its been mainly Horcoff and Jones until the third period where he is benched in favor of double shifting Smyth. He ranks amongst the bottom in ice time for the Oilers but his points per 60 minutes is second on the team to Hall. Regardless, unless Yakupov leads the scoring race by 2-3 points he won't win the Calder. It will go to Gallagher but Brodin should be the winner.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Habsawce

lol Yakupov took too long to get going, if this was an 82 game season he could have won but he won't even be a finalist.

Gallagher
Saad
Huberdeau

are the finalists for me, either Gallagher or Huberdeau winning it.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Tuomaz

If this award has any credibility Brodin should win this rather easily. Sadly this won't be the case but maybe it's a good thing for Wild fans. He won't have the Calder when negotiating next contract...

Closed Thread