HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Discussion thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
  #701
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pominville
Country: Nauru
Posts: 5,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

Realistically don't think he will win though. Maybe a nominee?
Hopefully. It's just a shame that Brodin IS the criteria for the trophy (most proficient in his first year), and he won't win it because NHL awards have turned into a points contest.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Brodeur win the Vezina because he has a goal.

AKL is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:53 PM
  #702
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,857
vCash: 300
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Brodin: youngest D-man in NHL...23:15 TOI / game...since 2001 only 7 rookie D-men have averaged over 23 / game..#1 in rookie D-men takeaways
http://twitter.com/TH2NSTATSGUY/stat...54729108455424
Quote:
No question in my mind that Brodin should be nominated for the Calder Trophy
http://twitter.com/TH2NSTATSGUY/stat...55159674720258

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:58 PM
  #703
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 528
To me, of the front runners, Saad is the least deserving, not because he isn't good, but he has such a great supporting cast.

If I had to pick a forward, I choose Huberdeau; he hasn't had much help at all on that team. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best of the bunch long term either; if I were Florida's GM I wouldn't trade him for Saad, Conacher, or Gallagher, not even close.

Surly Furious is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
  #704
RomersWorld
Registered User
 
RomersWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Wow, it would be a travesty if Huberdeau won this award.

Watching the Leafs/Panthers basically shows why he doesn't deserve it. He just turned the puck over 4 times in one shift, getting thrown around and off the puck with basically no effort at all. Maybe he will get a point when the game is out of reach to help his point totals.

He offers nothing to help his team win except if he gets enough space, or the defense/goalie falls asleep and he can work his magic offensively. Luckily for him he plays in the worst division in hockey so he caught them napping a decent amount of times. Still, he isn't as good of a player as Gallagher or Saad so he shouldn't win the award. There is a reason Gallagher and Saad each were voted rookie of the year of their respective conferences via the coaches poll. But what do the coaches know anyways...Huberdeau has 2 more points afterall.

RomersWorld is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 07:05 PM
  #705
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,725
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Wow, it would be a travesty if Huberdeau won this award.

Watching the Leafs/Panthers basically shows why he doesn't deserve it. He just turned the puck over 4 times, getting thrown around and off the puck with basically no effort at all.

He offers nothing to help his team win except if he gets enough space, or the defense/goalie falls asleep and he can work his magic offensively. Luckily for him he plays in the worst division in hockey so he caught them napping a decent amount of times. Still, he isn't as good of a player as Gallagher or Saad so he shouldn't win the award. There is a reason Gallagher and Saad each were voted rookie of the year of their respective conferences via the coaches poll. But what do the coaches know anyways...Huberdeau has 2 more points afterall.
That one game definitely proves it, yup. That one game on a team that is filled to the brim with rookies and AHL callups.

__________________

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
  #706
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,799
vCash: 1020
Huberdeau
Conacher
Yakupov/Saad

T-Funk is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
  #707
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Huberdeau
Conacher
Yakupov/Saad
Gallagher has to be on any top 4 list and he is my favorite to win it.

Hardyvan123 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
  #708
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,979
vCash: 50
Callagher probably wins it. Huberdeau has been really inconsistent and doesn't help his team in other areas if he isn't scoring.

That and the fact that Callagher plays for a whole lot more media sexy market, Huberdeau winning it does nothing for the league in terms of value.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
  #709
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pominville
Country: Nauru
Posts: 5,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
To me, of the front runners, Saad is the least deserving, not because he isn't good, but he has such a great supporting cast.

If I had to pick a forward, I choose Huberdeau; he hasn't had much help at all on that team. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best of the bunch long term either; if I were Florida's GM I wouldn't trade him for Saad, Conacher, or Gallagher, not even close.
Do you think those other GM's would trade their guy for Huberdeau? Not saying those guys are necessarily gonna be as good as him, but usually (save Yzerman in Tampa), GM's don't trade their young guys, especially young guys in the Calder race.

AKL is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:30 PM
  #710
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed
 
IceManCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Callagher probably wins it. Huberdeau has been really inconsistent and doesn't help his team in other areas if he isn't scoring.

That and the fact that Callagher plays for a whole lot more media sexy market, Huberdeau winning it does nothing for the league in terms of value.
Hes not inconsistent at all. Hes just dead tired like the announcers have said he has played A LOT of hockey this year in between juniors and WJC etc..

IceManCat is online now  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:38 PM
  #711
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,979
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Hes not inconsistent at all. Hes just dead tired like the announcers have said he has played A LOT of hockey this year in between juniors and WJC etc..
Any way it is, it's not increasing his chances of winning it.

SoupyFIN is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  #712
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Hopefully. It's just a shame that Brodin IS the criteria for the trophy (most proficient in his first year), and he won't win it because NHL awards have turned into a points contest.
You're selling Huberdeau short, yes Brodin has had a great season and should be a finalist but Huberdeau is having a great rookie season with a very bad supporting cast. It wouldn't be a robbery at all if he wins it, watch a Panthers game and chances are he'll be the only player you notice.

MastuhNinks is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
  #713
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
1. Brodin
2. Huberdeau
3. Gallagher

Fantomas is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:50 PM
  #714
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?
 
Bathcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,043
vCash: 500
Watching Brodin play reminds me way too much of Jackman in his rookie season.

Suter - Brodin
MacInnis - Jackman

My choice is Huberdeau.

Bathcat is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:46 PM
  #715
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Do you think those other GM's would trade their guy for Huberdeau? Not saying those guys are necessarily gonna be as good as him, but usually (save Yzerman in Tampa), GM's don't trade their young guys, especially young guys in the Calder race.
They would ALL trade their guy for Huberdeau IMO.

Huberdeau has the highest ceiling, and it ain't even close.

Conacher is a shrimp, as is Gallagher. and Saad is good, But they are all older than Huberdeau, and all have better teammates to inflate their stats.

Coyle and Brodin are the only Wild guys I wouldn't trade for Huberdeau.

I do believe Brodin deserves it though. Incredible performance from a 19 year old.

Surly Furious is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:53 PM
  #716
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Chfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,523
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
They would ALL trade their guy for Huberdeau IMO.

Huberdeau has the highest ceiling, and it ain't even close.

Conacher is a shrimp, as is Gallagher. and Saad is good, But they are all older than Huberdeau, and all have better teammates to inflate their stats.

Coyle and Brodin are the only Wild guys I wouldn't trade for Huberdeau.

I do believe Brodin deserves it though. Incredible performance from a 19 year old.
Are you implying that size is an issue for Gallagher?

Chfan is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:53 PM
  #717
sailorjerry96
Registered User
 
sailorjerry96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
yup. here pumping my own players tires but Yakupov is only 2 pts away from rookie scoring lead. Not to mention he has been playing with players like Belanger and Smyth for most part of the season until recently where his linemates have been Paajarvi and Horcoff/Gagner. Not to say huberdeau is amazing either

sailorjerry96 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:57 PM
  #718
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Gallagher just tied Huberdeau for the rookie goal scoring lead tonight and Galchenyuk gets a point so now they're both tied for 3rd in rookie points.

sharks9 is online now  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
  #719
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pominville
Country: Nauru
Posts: 5,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
yup. here pumping my own players tires but Yakupov is only 2 pts away from rookie scoring lead. Not to mention he has been playing with players like Belanger and Smyth for most part of the season until recently where his linemates have been Paajarvi and Horcoff/Gagner. Not to say huberdeau is amazing either
Nice try but Oiler fans have already told us his linemates. Hall and Gagner lately.

AKL is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:20 PM
  #720
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Are you implying that size is an issue for Gallagher?
Hell yeah - It's a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe the Eastern Conference is soft, but 5'8" 174? Sorry, that's wee. Huberdeau has the chance to grow into 6'1" 190 something. I like his chances.

Surly Furious is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:20 PM
  #721
Serenade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Hes not inconsistent at all. Hes just dead tired like the announcers have said he has played A LOT of hockey this year in between juniors and WJC etc..

Very much a copy out since all of the rookies in this race played as much. That is also the reason many of the rookies and call ups looked great at the start since they were game shape ready.

Serenade is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:22 PM
  #722
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty
 
Gritzky98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Nice try but Oiler fans have already told us his linemates. Hall and Gagner lately.
yea for 1-2 whole games if I remember correctly

He gets thrown out on a new line every game. He was on a line with 2 AHL players in Lander and Hartikainen recently and Paajarvi Horcoff last game, yet he still produces. Most Oilers fans would say he deserves the top line spot.

Gritzky98 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
  #723
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Nice try but Oiler fans have already told us his linemates. Hall and Gagner lately.
He played 1 period one game with Hall and RNH, then two periods another game with Hall and Gagner.he spent the first 6 games on his off wing with Gagner and Hemsky. Other then that its been mainly Horcoff and Jones until the third period where he is benched in favor of double shifting Smyth. He ranks amongst the bottom in ice time for the Oilers but his points per 60 minutes is second on the team to Hall. Regardless, unless Yakupov leads the scoring race by 2-3 points he won't win the Calder. It will go to Gallagher but Brodin should be the winner.

shogun99 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:36 PM
  #724
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,158
vCash: 50
lol Yakupov took too long to get going, if this was an 82 game season he could have won but he won't even be a finalist.

Gallagher
Saad
Huberdeau

are the finalists for me, either Gallagher or Huberdeau winning it.

Habsawce is online now  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:44 PM
  #725
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
If this award has any credibility Brodin should win this rather easily. Sadly this won't be the case but maybe it's a good thing for Wild fans. He won't have the Calder when negotiating next contract...

Tuomaz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.