HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner '13 Version | Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2013, 01:37 PM
  #476
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 38,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
You say outspoken, I say an ignorant, moronic and xenophobic homer. If he wasn't an employee of a publicly owned station I'd care much less but as it is he is an embarrassment. Entertaining? Sure he is, but so is Maury Povich occasionally and I'd never admit to watching him.

I am all for outspoken though, just not the same "outspoken" tripe every weekend. He panders to the lowest common denominator and it has worked wonders for him. Can't knock that I guess. A hockey televangelist. Worship me!
People always prefer "outspoken" commentary when they agree with it.

If someone were on TV pulling the exact opposite act as Cherry, a lot of the same people claiming they love how Cherry is "outspoken" and "calls it how he sees it" would almost certainly complain about the content.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
  #477
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
People always prefer "outspoken" commentary when they agree with it.

If someone were on TV pulling the exact opposite act as Cherry, a lot of the same people claiming they love how Cherry is "outspoken" and "calls it how he sees it" would almost certainly complain about the content.
I am sure that's true. I have no problem hearing things I disagree with. In fact, it's a great way to force you to rethink what you think you know. Coaches Corner doesn't make me think but it does make me drink and that's ok.

Tanevian* is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  #478
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,678
vCash: 835
Everything that Milbury said at the time was 100% correct.

Everything Cherry is saying right now is 100% correct.

Can't believe I'm saying this but both of them nailed it.

AfroThunder396 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 01:53 PM
  #479
Coil
Registered User
 
Coil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Magic keywords to every Cherry segment:

Bobby Orr
Ontario
Marlies
Farm boys
Grit
Soft Europeans
Boston Bruins
The 70's
Americans
Canadians
OHL
My God. Imagine a Don Cherry drinking game.

That would be lethal.

Coil is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
  #480
BBB24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
3 coaches had Orr as a Bruin, 2 won Stanley Cups with him. You'd think Don would stop talking about his Bruins days.
Not sure why he would, when you get to coach the greatest player to ever play the game, you would want to let people know every chance you got. Some people hate it when others are more successful in life then they are, that is why lots of them hate Don Cherry. He rubs me the wrong way on occassion, but whatever, I just hope I am as sharpe as he is when I am his age. He still has it.

BBB24 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:05 PM
  #481
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I think more than anything Oates is letting Ovy be OvY again. He seems to be shooting and driving the net more.

I've alway thought that AO was fine but its whats around him that needs fixing. Don't try to make him pass more or become better defensively. Just let him be him because the good will out weigh the bad.
I thought this for a while as well but it's just not the case. AO went stale and was getting frustrated. Oates has taught him that by being a more complete player and trusting his teammates that his game will improve.

AO now back checks and blocks shots, and his board play has improved signicantly. He's letting Johannson and Backstrom get him the puck either with speed or in a prime shooting location. Oates deserves a ton of credit for changing Ovie's game.

I'm not a Cherry fan but his points regarding AO aren't outrageous, minus giving Milbury credit for the turnaround... which is asinine. Ovechkin has said himself that he's matured this year and put more time in the weight room and in the film room.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:06 PM
  #482
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
For some people, Don just can't win for losing.
so....you think there is something to this idea that milbury's constant years long anti ovechkin/capitals drumbeat finally struck a nerve and the reason ovechkin is scoring like wildfire and the caps losing one out of ten over the last twenty or so is because of milbury?

seriously?

txpd is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
  #483
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Meh. Cherry's just saying Milbury's criticisms were right. Oates turned Ovechkin around by telling him to focus on hockey again, rather than on the media and his celebrity persona.
note: ovechkin's clean cut look is a result of his gillette endorsement deal.
note: the talk among the caps players is that oates defending ovechkin during his struggles to learn playing rw and having his back is what made the difference. not any sit down about not being a celebrity.
note: ovechkin changed his lifestyle significantly during the summer, pre adam oates, when he became engaged.

but yea, mike milbury's blather is the reason ovechkin is a monster again.

txpd is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:31 PM
  #484
TankLarkin
Registered User
 
TankLarkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
what is it about hockey fans that hate the outspoken guy? no wonder most hockey players are robots, anyone who voices an opinion gets raked over the coals
it's the younger generations who hate Cherry BECAUSE he speaks his mind. Public education and the media in general teach today's kids to tow the line, don't make waves, etc.

I love Grapes, but I'm over 40.

TankLarkin is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:32 PM
  #485
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 5,117
vCash: 500
So how many people here ripping on Cherry actually read the article? He mostly credits Adam Oates and Ovechkin himself for maturing as a hockey player.

MastuhNinks is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:37 PM
  #486
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,628
vCash: 500
This isn't a bad quote, but Don Cherry really is awful. He consistently makes absolutely ridiculous statements but its somehow okay because he's been doing it for a long time? I don't watch too much HNIC but I remember him saying Ottawa has the best 3 goalies in the world, Stamkos is a TWF, just way too many dumb statements from him. His opinions in hockey hold no credibility and he's a complete moron.

MarleauApologist is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:37 PM
  #487
Quo
...
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so....you think there is something to this idea that milbury's constant years long anti ovechkin/capitals drumbeat finally struck a nerve and the reason ovechkin is scoring like wildfire and the caps losing one out of ten over the last twenty or so is because of milbury?

seriously?
I don't even think Cherry himself takes his comment here that seriously nor did he attribute Ovechkin's success this year solely to Milbury's comments. He gave OV credit. He gave Oates credit.

I'm glad you're 100% absolutely sure this resurgence had nothing whatsoever to do with Milbury's comments and that Oates never once, covertly or overtly, intimated that Ovechkin should focus on being a hockey player first and a celebrity second.

On both accounts, Don would hardly be the first to make those connections. It doesn't mean it's right but it is something somewhat interesting to talk about on the radio don't you think?

Quo is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:45 PM
  #488
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
I don't even think Cherry himself takes his comment here that seriously nor did he attribute Ovechkin's success this year solely to Milbury's comments. He gave OV credit. He gave Oates credit.

I'm glad you're 100% absolutely sure this resurgence had nothing whatsoever to do with Milbury's comments and that Oates never once, covertly or overtly, intimated that Ovechkin should focus on being a hockey player first and a celebrity second.

On both accounts, Don would hardly be the first to make those connections. It doesn't mean it's right but it is something somewhat interesting to talk about on the radio don't you think?
Who cares if Milbury said it? Milbury just had a platform to voice his opinions. He did nothing to fix the situation, therefore he gets no credit.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  #489
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,722
vCash: 500
Cherry is only kept on tv because of his ridiculous comments, if he was reserved, intelligent and well spoken he wouldn't be an amusing sideshow for the NHL.

Why freak out over what he says? The guy is the "clown at the circus", his job is to be inflammatory.

OneSharpMarble is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
  #490
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
This isn't a bad quote, but Don Cherry really is awful. He consistently makes absolutely ridiculous statements but its somehow okay because he's been doing it for a long time? I don't watch too much HNIC but I remember him saying Ottawa has the best 3 goalies in the world, Stamkos is a TWF, just way too many dumb statements from him. His opinions in hockey hold no credibility and he's a complete moron.
So you admit to not watching HNIC very much at all, then continue to judge him by calling him a moron?

Rob Brown is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 03:05 PM
  #491
Quo
...
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Who cares if Milbury said it? Milbury just had a platform to voice his opinions. He did nothing to fix the situation, therefore he gets no credit.
Well if someone calls me out for being a lazy worker with a bad attitude and terrible at my job for the whole world to see I just might be a little bit more motivated to shut that asshat up.

It's speculation. Entertaining speculation.

OV said he "didn't listen to those guys"...good. But isn't it just as unlikely that the comments had no effect on him whatsoever as it is that they made all the difference in the world?

In any case, I thought it was clear from Cherry's comments (as quoted) that Milbury's comments were secondary to the role OV himself and Oates have played in OV's resurgence.

Quo is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
  #492
Tanevian*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Van!
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankLarkin View Post
it's the younger generations who hate Cherry BECAUSE he speaks his mind. Public education and the media in general teach today's kids to tow the line, don't make waves, etc.

I love Grapes, but I'm over 40.
As a parent who has kids in school I do not understand how exactly you came to this conclusion other than maybe some personal experience which isn't very useful. Or perhaps you've hit the age where the good ole days were better. It happens.

The defences provided by Cherryites usually contain the same amount of reasoning as Don would provide. The proverbial apple doesn't fall far. My favourite one in this thread was that people are jealous of his success.

Tanevian* is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
  #493
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
If anyone knows how to turn a franchise around, it's Mike Milbury.
Bravo.

beauchamp is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:28 PM
  #494
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I suppose I could see why a senile old coot like Cherry would get confused here. I mean, Milbury has certainly helped to turn around a lot of teams in the NHL (just none of the ones he was actually working for).
You must know that I'm on your side of the big divide.

But was he really too subtle for you?

beauchamp is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 07:15 PM
  #495
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Don does not upset enlightened people. He upsets people who think they are enlightened. That small but significant gap in pragmatic competence makes all the difference as to why he is successful where others fail.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 10:13 PM
  #496
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
man people get sooo ******** about everything.
Is that a "bi" comment?

In this thread, it could swing both ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Don does not upset enlightened people. He upsets people who think they are enlightened. That small but significant gap in pragmatic competence makes all the difference as to why he is successful where others fail.
You previously had a post in the running for the condescending award.

I see you're also gunning for the smugness award.


beauchamp is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:35 PM
  #497
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Is that a "bi" comment?

In this thread, it could swing both ways...



You previously had a post in the running for the condescending award.

I see you're also gunning for the smugness award.

If someone wants to give me an award, I'll take it.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 01:01 PM
  #498
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
If someone wants to give me an award, I'll take it.
Beware of geeks (that's not a typo) bearing gifts.

beauchamp is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
  #499
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 7,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankLarkin View Post
it's the younger generations who hate Cherry BECAUSE he speaks his mind. Public education and the media in general teach today's kids to tow the line, don't make waves, etc.

I love Grapes, but I'm over 40.
I'm over fifty and I dislike Grapes immensely. I have no problem with him speaking his mind. I just don't like what seems to be the content of his mind. His bashing of non-Canadians with very little, if anything, to back it up is annoying. He is inarticulate and while, yes, he had little education, I certainly have known many of his generation and older who have been quite articulate with roughly the same level of education. He is rude and close-minded, often dismissive of anything even slightly outside his narrow world view. If I had kids, I'm not sure I would let them watch Don Cherry for fear of them imitating many of his negatives. Perhaps if he was presented as a clown to be laughed at and possibly pitied for his ignorance, I might let them watch.

rojac is online now  
Old
04-26-2013, 05:11 PM
  #500
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I'm over fifty and I dislike Grapes immensely. I have no problem with him speaking his mind. I just don't like what seems to be the content of his mind. His bashing of non-Canadians with very little, if anything, to back it up is annoying. He is inarticulate and while, yes, he had little education, I certainly have known many of his generation and older who have been quite articulate with roughly the same level of education. He is rude and close-minded, often dismissive of anything even slightly outside his narrow world view. If I had kids, I'm not sure I would let them watch Don Cherry for fear of them imitating many of his negatives. Perhaps if he was presented as a clown to be laughed at and possibly pitied for his ignorance, I might let them watch.
Bashes others. Ignorant. Inarticulate. Little education. Rude. Close-minded. Dismissive. Narrow world view. Fearful. Negative. Clown. Ignorant. To be pitied.

I guess I shouldn't let my kids watch him either. They may get the idea that Canadians are judgemental.

Please don't forget this:

I am 42 and my four daughters do not watch him because they don't watch hockey. But I would like to think that I do not shelter them from anyone's point of view. Rather I teach them that world view is a dynamic term that does not exist in a vacuum. There is always a reason for someone to believe and feel the way they do, and understanding one's differences and similarities is more educational than painting it with a broad stroke and trying to define it and explain our own opinions and thoughts on any person as conclusive.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.