HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects and hype

Old
09-11-2006, 06:11 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Prospects and hype

Is it my imagination or do the Habs have a huge number of prospects that could make the NHL? Or maybe a bit of both? I dont remember the Habs being this deep, even in the time of Grame Bonar and Yves Sauralt.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 06:21 PM
goalchenyuk

It's true exepted that may be we are to high about all of them ; May be few players are not going to be able to translate their game to the NHL level .

It's also not sure that we are going to be able to keep all those players . There always the waiving problem to send them back in the AHL .

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 06:30 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

We have great depth. Very few are spectacular prospects but many look to be legitimate players that could crack the NHL some day.

Saying Grab, Kost and Lats can be 1st line players doesn't mean we "hype" them and expect them to have 200 points seasons. But 1st line player is their potential so it's conceivable they achieve it even though they may become "ordinary" 1st line players, as opposed to elite.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 06:48 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
We have great depth. Very few are spectacular prospects but many look to be legitimate players that could crack the NHL some day.

Saying Grab, Kost and Lats can be 1st line players doesn't mean we "hype" them and expect them to have 200 points seasons. But 1st line player is their potential so it's conceivable they achieve it even though they may become "ordinary" 1st line players, as opposed to elite.
Im also loving the speed. No more peterson, ryan, bilideau, etc. Then again alfie turcotte could fly.

Old
09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It isnt inconceiveable that a couple could become a Datsyuk, Haken Loob, or that Lats couldnt become a very good power forward.

Old
09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
MEGALINSKY

Slightly off topic but weird none the less, I JUST had a dream about Hakan Loob last night and I was debating whether to take him in a hockey pool...Must have been something I ate last night!

MEGALINSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
MEGALINSKY

...And back on topic, yes, I am definitely impressed at how much immediate depth the Habs SEEM to have. Hopefully most our youngsters will pan out eventually.

MEGALINSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Kirk Muller*

Our pool of prospects is very encouraging. In our last six drafts, we don't seem to have really "struck out" on any of our first rounders, and in addition, we've been getting good talent in the later rounds.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:25 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
It isnt inconceiveable that a couple could become a Datsyuk, Haken Loob, or that Lats couldnt become a very good power forward.
That is my fondest hope.I won't discard the possibility of getting a star or a franchise type player.
Actually I have made a wager that Habs will see a young kid emerge as a 100 point scorer in the next 2 years. Wether it be Plekanec ; who everyone thinks is a 4th liner, or Kost; who some people already see as a 100 point guy.
I think it could come true but there's a distinct possibility it won't. We sure could use a little luck in that area.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Is it my imagination or do the Habs have a huge number of prospects that could make the NHL? Or maybe a bit of both? I dont remember the Habs being this deep, even in the time of Grame Bonar and Yves Sauralt.
Yes, that's what makes them #5 on this very website.

It's a large quantity of quality. As others have said, there's not a lot of potential superstars in our system, but enough solid prospects to ice a very competitive team, and a fair amount of assets to be able to trade for what we need down the road.

I know the Leafs board likes to compare their small handfull of good prospects to the likes of Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin and Price. What most of them really don't get is that there's a lot more where that came from!

A small list of prospects that I believe get very little recognition but will do well in the NHL:

Grabovski
Lapierre
Halak
D'Agostini
S. Kostitsyn

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Madevilz

Well we did have Higgins, Plekanec and Perezhogin graduating last season.
3 prospects in one season is a lot for a non rebuilding team.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
That is my fondest hope.I won't discard the possibility of getting a star or a franchise type player.
Actually I have made a wager that Habs will see a young kid emerge as a 100 point scorer in the next 2 years. Wether it be Plekanec ; who everyone thinks is a 4th liner, or Kost; who some people already see as a 100 point guy.
I think it could come true but there's a distinct possibility it won't. We sure could use a little luck in that area.
Well if the Kosts bros could develop right, we might have our own version of the Sedin twins or even better. If Latendresse develops to HIS full potential we could be looking at a future Gary Roberts.

That's the cream in my opinion...but there's more to look into. The future looks bright, but like all prospects, until they reach their potential its all up in the air.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

There may not be any superstars but the depth is impressive. In fact, I don't see how all of those prospects could be crammed into the Habs' roster. Of course this gives Gainey great flexibility in holding down veterans' salaries and in trading for solid NHLers from teams with cap concerns.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Well if the Kosts bros could develop right, we might have our own version of the Sedin twins or even better. If Latendresse develops to HIS full potential we could be looking at a future Gary Roberts.

That's the cream in my opinion...but there's more to look into. The future looks bright, but like all prospects, until they reach their potential its all up in the air.
You inadvertently added to the sea of hype. It's sufficient to say that the Kostitsyns are very promising.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
There may not be any superstars but the depth is impressive. In fact, I don't see how all of those prospects could be crammed into the Habs' roster. Of course this gives Gainey great flexibility in holding down veterans' salaries and in trading for solid NHLers from teams with cap concerns.
I agree. The other good thing is that there is a lot of variety. There are grinders and pests, scorers and danglers, playmakers and even a powerforward. A couple will compete this year, and several more should seriously compete for a spot next year. There are good goaltending prospects at different stages of development, and even the defence looks decent after this past draft, though it will be several years before we'll really know.

But again, as everyone has pointed out, there isn't much in the way of surefire elite talent. On the other hand, the contributions of Higgins, Plekanec and Perezhogin last year show the value of having good if unspectacular depth.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote