HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#47| New York Islanders vs. Philadelphia Flyers | April 25 | 7PM | L 2-1

Old
04-25-2013, 09:11 PM
isleskovalchuk

vCash: 500
tomorrow is back to a HUGE GAME

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:11 PM
stranger34

If you want to be the man - beat the man! Give me Pittsburgh. It might be the best thing for them.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
JT4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by center55 View Post
I do not understand the reaction here. So what if we get Pittsburgh bring them on! Last year the LA kings got the PRESIDENT trophy winning Canucks (111 points). Guess what 5 games later the Kings are moving on and the mighty Canucks wait another year. Then the Kings get the "second best" team in the west the ST. Louis Blues(109 points) can we say sweep! My point is if we are going to make some noise then bring it on!

Lets go Islanders!
It's about odds. How many 8th seeds have won the cup? Go look it up.

JT4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Well the good news for me is that if they wind up 7th or 8th, I won't be upset if they lose in the 1st round. I'd be pretty ticked if they couldn't beat the Caps though.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:14 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT4President View Post
Uhhhh did you watch hockey last year? Specifically the SCF?

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:15 PM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

Ah...sad for the loss. Didn't get to watch any of the game. Need to win tomorrow and for the Devils to beat the rags Saturday. IMO best hope is to finish 7th now, unless OTT drops 2 of their last 3 or wins 1 or both in a SO. Hopefully the Habs step it up too and finish 2nd

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:18 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Well tonight sucked

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

We shouldn't be worried about who we play.
They should be worried about playing us.

Sheva7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:22 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Atta boy!

Old
04-25-2013, 09:23 PM
center55

Quote:
Fair enough so you are saying if we are the seventh or sixth seed we have a better chance at beating Pittsburgh? in say the second round or are you just saying it sucks to have to beat the best in the first round?

I agree I would rather play a different team in the first round, however I am not as confident as you are that playing Pittsburgh is an automatic loss. Pittsburgh were favored to win last year as well and Philadelphia knocked them out in the first round.

I believe we can play with Pittsburgh or any other team and I am just looking forward to the playoffs, I have not conceded anything, unlike the last time we made the playoffs, when I knew we were not good enough to win.

center55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
JT4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Uhhhh did you watch hockey last year? Specifically the SCF?
What's your point. I watched it. Doesn't change the odds. I'm talking history of all the 8th seeds that have won a cup. The odds based on historical data are very much stacked against us. Does it mean I won't dream or cheer, not at all. I'm simply stating a fact. My point is, if we finish 8th, or even 7th for that matter, we have chosen the hardest possible road to the Stanley cup when only days ago, the team was in control and potentially could of faced a weaker opponent for at least a rnd or 2.

Just because there are fans on here that are disappointed and fear the possibly match ups that are not favourable, it doesn't make them any less of a fan and there won't be one person on this board that isn't cheering this team on every step of the way. My agruement again is based on historical data. I rest my case

Old
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
xECK29x

Oh and those big bad scary pens lost to the playoffless Devils in reg.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Isles were flat, but still could have win this game. This is a very good Isles team. Who cares about seeding - bring on whomever. It's the fn playoffs!!!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:29 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Just because there are fans on here that are disappointed and fear the possibly match ups that are not favourable, it doesn't make them any less of a fan and there won't be one person on this board that isn't cheering this team on every step of the way. My agreement again is based on historical data. I rest my case
I'm just as disapointed, but I'm sick of people (not you) acting like the sky is falling and would rather miss the playoffs then end up in the 8th spot.

Earlier this month we were targeting to sneak in as the 8th spot.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:33 PM
JT4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
I'm just as disapointed, but I'm sick of people (not you) acting like the sky is falling and would rather miss the playoffs then end up in the 8th spot.

Earlier this month we were targeting to sneak in as the 8th spot.
I totally get that and agree. I'm not on a ledge like some others and I believe if we play to our best abilit, we can upset anyone. Again, to be clear, we had an opportunity for a more favourable 1st rnd matchup and we played flat. That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by center55 View Post
Fair enough so you are saying if we are the seventh or sixth seed we have a better chance at beating Pittsburgh? in say the second round or are you just saying it sucks to have to beat the best in the first round?

I agree I would rather play a different team in the first round, however I am not as confident as you are that playing Pittsburgh is an automatic loss. Pittsburgh were favored to win last year as well and Philadelphia knocked them out in the first round.

I believe we can play with Pittsburgh or any other team and I am just looking forward to the playoffs, I have not conceded anything, unlike the last time we made the playoffs, when I knew we were not good enough to win.
Philadelphia is a big intimidating team & that is how they beat the Pens. We are not a big intimidating team, and when we put our bigger guys like Carkner & Boulton out there, we are a much worse club.

The only good part about playing the Pens is that they won't beat us down physically like the Bruins would. For that reason alone I'd give the Isles a slight chance to beat them. But it'll be very very tough.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
That's what I'm talking about!!!!

04-25-2013, 09:48 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Our last three games haven't really been that great. We need to step it up again

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
All I heard him say was that they came out flat, and he hasnt decided who is in goal tmor-
Hasn't decided? Obviously it's Nabokov. How can it be Poulin? What would be the purpose of playing Poulin? Playoffs start when monday at the earliest?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:52 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
Hasn't decided? Obviously it's Nabokov. How can it be Poulin? What would be the purpose of playing Poulin? Playoffs start when monday at the earliest?
Does Cappy think Poulin, who had a shaky start, is going to play well handling both back to back road games?

C'mon Cappy

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:55 PM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
What did he say? I turned it off.
Sorry, maybe not in the presser -- was listening on the radio. He took on the NYpost writer who asked him if he was worried because the team was generally having bad first periods. Challenged the writer to name another game like that and then told him to write whatever he wanted.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:06 PM
LeapOnOver

Not trying to be negative but their is a part of Vis's game that really annoys me and I've noticed it on several occasions. He is afraid to go hard into the boards when there is a 50/50 battle for a loose puck. Watch the play leading up to the Boulton penalty (which resulted in the first Philly goal). Vis was ahead of his guy in the foot race to get the puck behind the redline and slowed up seemingly to just avoid being checked into the boards. Granted, he isn't a big guy but when Hamonic or MacDonald take this strategy they put up a better effort in retrieving the puck. Well, with Vis being shy or lazy it resulted in him losing the 50/50 battle and then the resulting penalty from the pressure that Philly was putting on us.

This has not been a one time occurrence. I find myself often thinking this in my head as I watch his play, and today just really pissed me off since he is putting undo pressure on his team and it resulted in the first goal. So everyone who gives Streit a hard time for his defensive play needs to be aware that Vis is not too steady back there either.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
DktrFaustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit View Post
Sorry, maybe not in the presser -- was listening on the radio. He took on the NYpost writer who asked him if he was worried because the team was generally having bad first periods. Challenged the writer to name another game like that and then told him to write whatever he wanted.
damn. taking some pages out of torts' book.

DktrFaustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:16 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I was really hoping our first reg loss would come after a great effort. It looked like they gave it to them.
They made the playoffs after an insane run, winning some games they should not have.

You guys are greedy. Give the guys a break, play half the Bridge tomorrow, and call it all good.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:57 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

i'm not going to let a game where the refs wouldn't call anything in the isles favor and the first game in weeks where they've lost in regulation shake my confidence in this team. they can take on any team in the east and play with them.

as long as boulton and carkner aren't BOTH in

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote