HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Belarussian line of Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kostitsyn

Old
09-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I see Plekanec gone even Samsonov before Ribs or Ryder.
These boards are priceless. Just about everyone wants to see Ryder traded, and the only one that doesn't thinks Plekanec(our most undervalued forward) should be gone.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:15 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
That would be a sick line for sure... but NO way you see the three of them in a regular season game with the Canadiens this season!
Next season means next year.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
These boards are priceless. Just about everyone wants to see Ryder traded, and the only one that doesn't thinks Plekanec(our most undervalued forward) should be gone.
I don't want Ryder traded!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
That would be a sick line for sure...
Actually, it'd probably be the worst line in the NHL.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Ryder can score, Plekanec is more expendable that he is a small playmaking forward like Ribs, Higgins, Koivu, Samsonov and with more skill coming and size (Latendresse and Chipchura for size) up in the Kostitsyn x 2, Grabovski and Perezhogin...I think we need scorers to like Ryder here to compliment the playmakers.

I like Ryder, but Plekanec is expendable.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:12 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Ever? You really think so?
I'm not sold on Andrei Kostitsyn yet. He has some qualities as a hockey player, but he's far from complete right now. I'm not sure he'll be a real NHL player (as in a guy that plays a few season). He's not unlike Marcel Hossa imo. He might not even make the team out of camp this year.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:14 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
I'm not sold on Andrei Kostitsyn yet. He has some qualities as a hockey player, but he's far from complete right now. I'm not sure he'll be a real NHL player (as in a guy that plays a few season). He's not unlike Marcel Hossa imo. He might not even make the team out of camp this year.
He is a shooter, but I see Chipchura or Latendresse making this team this year before Andrei.

Old
09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Ryder can score, Plekanec is more expendable that he is a small playmaking forward like Ribs, Higgins, Koivu, Samsonov and with more skill coming and size (Latendresse and Chipchura for size) up in the Kostitsyn x 2, Grabovski and Perezhogin...I think we need scorers to like Ryder here to compliment the playmakers.

Higgins isn't a playmaker.

Ribeiro doesn't have the defensive awareness or all-around ability that Plekanec does.

Samsonov is only in Montreal for two years.

Plekanec's main asset is not his playmaking capabilities; it's his fundamentals. He's strong all-around. He may be small in terms of height, but he's certainly not small in terms of thickness. His size was a non-factor when going head-to-head with Staal or Brind'Amour in the playoffs; two players much bigger than Plekanec on paper.

He offers unique attributes to the team. It's too easy to label him a small playmaking center and thus expendable.

It'll be interesting to see how he does this year, though: whether he builds off of his playoff performance, or develops into more of a Brylin-player.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Habruti!

Quote:

Plekanek is likely the least expandable player in our rookie group. He is the only one that could create any sort of offence in the absence of Koivu. Higgins and Ryder are similar in a sense that they need a good centerman to feed them the puck!

Ribeiro could be expandable if we find something better then him, Plekanek and Koivu are now centers no.1 and no.2 on our team. The problem with replacing Ribs with a guy like grabovski is that it is unlikely that he will perform better then Ribs if Ribs tries at the beguinning of the year.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
He is a shooter, but I see Chipchura or Latendresse making this team this year before Andrei.
I think he lacks good hockey sense and vision, and that's why he hasn't been able to bury the puck some more despite being a "shooter".

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Would love to see it, but I doubt S. Kosty makes the Habs this year.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:11 PM
znk

I just reread the article.
Quote:
Both players display a confidence that borders on cockiness. Grabovski, a 22-year-old with three seasons in the Russian

Super League under his belt, believes he can play for the Canadiens this season.

They believe Montreal fans could be seeing a Belarussian line of Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kostitsyn by next season.
It's not Timmins and Montreal brass, it's Grabovski and Kostisyn who believe so.
And it's NEXT season. Not THIS season.
(quite a few persons seem to think next year was this season)

Old
09-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I just reread the article.

It's not Timmins and Montreal brass, it's Grabovski and Kostisyn who believe so.
And it's NEXT season. Not THIS season.
(quite a few persons seem to think next year was this season)
I said that on the first page. But you added color + size, so props

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:33 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Higgins isn't a playmaker.
Not a big playmaker, but he makes things happen out there with his style of play.

Quote:
Ribeiro doesn't have the defensive awareness or all-around ability that Plekanec does.
True. But a Chipchura has the defensive game and some offensive upside too, not to mention a better size and a leadeship quality also.

Quote:
Samsonov is only in Montreal for two years.
Any Hab could be here for only two years, but I just don't see Plekanec as an everday Hab. I admit he is a decent player who plays a good two way game, but I believe he is expendable.

Quote:
Plekanec's main asset is not his playmaking capabilities; it's his fundamentals. He's strong all-around. He may be small in terms of height, but he's certainly not small in terms of thickness. His size was a non-factor when going head-to-head with Staal or Brind'Amour in the playoffs; two players much bigger than Plekanec on paper.
If you think he is going to be a top 2nd to 3rd line centre to check other teams top centres I think you are sadly mistaken. He isn't that good of a player to be that type, and his size and physical play isn't there to be an effective player in that role.

Thats why I think you have to look at Bonk for now and at some point in time Chipchura to be that player, not Plekanec.

Quote:
He offers unique attributes to the team. It's too easy to label him a small playmaking center and thus expendable.
His uniqueness isn't there all the time and his size was evedent in injury and with his scratching from the line-up from time to time.

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how he does this year, though: whether he builds off of his playoff performance, or develops into more of a Brylin-player.
I hope he does surprise us with a great follow up campaign this fall from last season. He did show flashes of a very complete player, but I'm not convienced and it is because of size. I just see his type of player a very common type of player every team can develop, a middle teir player player on the 3rd line...they are expendable because they are a dime a dozen. To make himself stand out from that cliche player he will have to be a Brylin...if not he is replaceable either within the organization or from an outside source.

Like I said I like his play he is a good player, but these are only my opinions, I speak for myself only and I totally understand your points and respect your analysis of Plekanec as a player.

Old
09-11-2006, 10:38 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I said that on the first page. But you added color + size, so props
I'm a bit slow.

Next time use colors + size + Bold it's fun and sometimes you just cant have anyone miss the post.

Old
09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
If you think he is going to be a top 2nd to 3rd line centre to check other teams top centres I think you are sadly mistaken. He isn't that good of a player to be that type, and his size and physical play isn't there to be an effective player in that role.

Thats why I think you have to look at Bonk for now and at some point in time Chipchura to be that player, not Plekanec.
I agree that Pleks is expendable, but if you think Bonk is better suited for 2nd or 3rd line duties, you're nutty. Bonk has never been the offensive mastermind certain people believe he was (at least not in the nhl). Also, the guy is definitely not suited for physical play, he's one of the bigger sissies on the team (size and physicality are 2 different things). As for defensive play, Pleks is at the very least on par with Bonk in that department, I'd even say that Pleks is better than bonk defensively, or at least more consistent. As for heart, it's not even a competition... If you're going to let Chip take a spot, it'll be Bonks for now.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 01:31 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
It's too early to even tell if A.Kostitsyn will ever play in the NHL... Sometimes Timmins should just shut up imo (like when he said A.Kostitsyn was ready to jump directly to the NHL... that's what we all saw). Timmins need to learn to stop being overly enthousiastic about his picks.

While I think the Kostitsyn brothers and Grabovski could definately end up in the NHL, it's still far from a sure thing.
Andrei was ready last year on any other team, they just had the luxury of a situation where the guy wasnt head and shoulders above the competition, thus they kept him without 1 year on the NHL counter.(he will still play his rookie year this year) But this team will be based on Andrei in a not so distant future.(2-3 years)

Sergei is by far more overhyped than his brother. Andrei went thru a full cycle of hype(up and completely down). Grabov, the jury is out I think he could be a long term 2nd line center, but if we keep up our recent habits this might means 1st line duty, hes quite similar to Koivu.

Something like: Lats-Grabo-A.Kost makes more sense to me in 3-4 years. (Maxwell should be ready for 2nd line duty by then?) Its very speculative at this point in time. Koivu, Kovalev futures are in this story. Then theres another line that we should have in Higgins-Pleckanec-Perezhogin around this period of time. Lecavalier available not this summer but next? I hope they draft that big centerman next year. (Big trade for Esposito? Islanders or Blues might not want to trade their choice.)

All of this to say: Sergei, good luck at making the team in any shape or form in the next 5 years. Theres just too many people that can surpass him. Add Mikus, D'Agostini to that list.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 04:07 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I don't want Ryder traded!
Yes you do. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore
I want Ryder traded!