HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 06:41 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
I really hope they don't trade their 1st pick this year. It looks like it will be an impact player in a need position. If they are in a position to draft one of the top 3 centers just make the pick. IMO this year there will be a ton of players moved for draft picks or prospects just as cap dumps.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:52 PM
shogun99

vCash: 500
If we end up,drafting Mackinnon he'll probably make the opening night roster. Barkov might be a year wait. This would make Gagner expendable and he could probably return a young Dman with top pairing potential. I'd be fine with a 2nd line of MPS-Mackinnon-Yakupov getting soft minutes. Hall-RNH-Ebs have been in the league long enough To handle going against top defensive pairings.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
If we end up,drafting Mackinnon he'll probably make the opening night roster. Barkov might be a year wait. This would make Gagner expendable and he could probably return a young Dman with top pairing potential. I'd be fine with a 2nd line of MPS-Mackinnon-Yakupov getting soft minutes. Hall-RNH-Ebs have been in the league long enough To handle going against top defensive pairings.
Craig Button says that he's NHL ready but then again... it's Craig Button.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:13 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He is what he is, but I've never minded his draft analysis. He isn't always right and he has his favorites, but he does watch these kids and is passionate about why he likes them or doesn't. I would rather listen to a guy who forms his own opinions and backs them up than listen to other MSM guys who have never seen some of these kids play or have seen some youtube clips but give opinions.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Rita12

Edmonton-Winnepeg

I want to hear your feedback on this proposal.

To Edmonton: Kane, Ladd

To Winnepeg: Eberle, 2013 First overall

We get the size, quality and grit we need in the top 6 for years to come. This also allows us to maintain Gagner as a second line centre as we address the size issue on that line.

Winnepeg although close to a playoff spot is still a ways away from being a contender and although it hurts to lose Ladd and Kane they get a great young first liner and potential franchise/elite player as the pick will likely be top 5.

Hall-Nuge-Kane
Ladd-Gagner-Yakupov
PRV-Horcoff-UFA with grit and scoring touch
Brown/Petrell-Smithson- fast/aggressive 4th liner

Smyth-buy out. Hemsky trade bait for 3rd liner if we strike out in UFA

Old
04-25-2013, 09:56 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita12 View Post
I want to hear your feedback on this proposal.

To Edmonton: Kane, Ladd

To Winnepeg: Eberle, 2013 First overall

We get the size, quality and grit we need in the top 6 for years to come. This also allows us to maintain Gagner as a second line centre as we address the size issue on that line.

Winnepeg although close to a playoff spot is still a ways away from being a contender and although it hurts to lose Ladd and Kane they get a great young first liner and potential franchise/elite player as the pick will likely be top 5.

Hall-Nuge-Kane
Ladd-Gagner-Yakupov
PRV-Horcoff-UFA with grit and scoring touch
Brown/Petrell-Smithson- fast/aggressive 4th liner

Smyth-buy out. Hemsky trade bait for 3rd liner if we strike out in UFA
We already won the draft lottery? :O

Old
04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

On what planet does Winnipeg make that trade??

Old
04-25-2013, 10:02 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
We already won the draft lottery? :O
I think he means first round pick

If it's truly the first overall pick, then this is an easy no from the Oilers

Old
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I think he means first round pick

If it's truly the first overall pick, then this is an easy no from the Oilers
I'd probably still consider it if we won the lottery

Old
04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
New dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

Old
04-25-2013, 11:01 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
If your team wins the lottery,you've got to select Seth Jones.

Seth Jones is the consensus number 1 in this year's draft.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Let's say we draft a center in the top 3 or top 4, say MacKinnon or Barkov. Would you really want to trade Gagner right away? I'd probably still hang onto him for a year or two just in case MacKinnon/Barkov need time to adjust. I'd hate to rely on a rookie for the 2nd line, or worse have Horcoff take that spot. If the shiny new toy isn't ready right away that could actually ruin our chance at making the playoffs next year.

If it turns out that we draft a center who is ready we could always trade Gagner at the deadline.

I'd love to see RNH-Gagner-Barkov/MacK-Horcoff.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Angry Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Let's say we draft a center in the top 3 or top 4, say MacKinnon or Barkov. Would you really want to trade Gagner right away? I'd probably still hang onto him for a year or two just in case MacKinnon/Barkov need time to adjust. I'd hate to rely on a rookie for the 2nd line, or worse have Horcoff take that spot. If the shiny new toy isn't ready right away that could actually ruin our chance at making the playoffs next year.

If it turns out that we draft a center who is ready we could always trade Gagner at the deadline.

I'd love to see RNH-Gagner-Barkov/MacK-Horcoff.
Gagner's $$ expectations will most likely be the reason to him being traded, moreso than him becoming redundant due to a new centre

Old
04-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Boys View Post
Gagner's $$ expectations will most likley be the reason to him being traded, moreso than him becoming redundant due to a new centre
I'd much rather buy out Horcoff if we need the space to sign Gagner. Although if Gagner is asking for $5m or more I think we should deal him. I'd be happy signing him for a little over $4m, but I'm not convinced he can consistently produce at a good enough rate over a full 82 game season.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I'd much rather buy out Horcoff if we need the space to sign Gagner. Although if Gagner is asking for $5m or more I think we should deal him. I'd be happy signing him for a little over $4m, but I'm not convinced he can consistently produce at a good enough rate over a full 82 game season.
no way he gets anything close to 5M now... 4M should be his new max considering his production down the stretch, cap going down and being a RFA (not UFA)

Old
04-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
no way he gets anything close to 5M now... 4M should be his new max considering his production down the stretch, cap going down and being a RFA (not UFA)
$4mil would be pretty fair in my opinion. Personally I'd love to give him the Hemsky deal, sign him for 5-6 years at $4mil. Pretty cap friendly and I'm confident Gags could live up to a contract like that, so he could be trade bait at some point.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Boys View Post
Gagner's $$ expectations will most likely be the reason to him being traded, moreso than him becoming redundant due to a new centre
I think paying Gagner shouldn't get in the way until after next season when RNH gets a raise. If we got one of Barkov or Monahan id be happy waiting 1 more year with Gagner and trading him next season. Unless we could get best value for him (top 4 d-man or big top 6 winger) now and sign Ribeiro to a 1 or 2 year deal at 6 mil a year.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:06 AM
sid49

I think we should sign Weiss. 2nd line center who can win draws.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:08 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
On what planet does Winnipeg make that trade??
none

Old
04-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Hemsky4PM

Edmonton and Winnipeg (realistic)

Gagner for Bogosian straight across.

Winnipeg has Trouba coming soon - possibly next year. Byfuglien, Enstrom, M. Stuart, Trouba, Postma, Redmond and they could add another d-man in the off season.

Winnipeg has the 2nd worst PP in the league and could use Gagner there, as well as on a 2nd line C/RW to compliment Ladd or Kane on the LW.

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheiffle/Burmistrov/Jokinen-Gagner

Edmonton gets a puck moving d-man with size and capable of playing 20+ minutes.

This deal was rumoured back in the Atlanta days and could make sense for both teams today.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:39 AM
dnicks17

Jets fans weren't too happy with a Eberle for Bogo trade, so I think that one might be dead in the water.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Calgary Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Button was on an Edmonton sports radio show last week (can't remember which one) before the OK/Hitmen series and they asked him to predict how many games this series would go to and he replied with "This series will go to 7 games!!" and he was pretty adamant about it. The guys on the radio impolitely laughed out loud and thought he was nuts because the OK's are a powerhouse while the Hitmen are not really expected to be where they are in this playoffs.

One week later and the series is now tied at 2 and will require a min of 6 games, most likely going to game 7.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Gagner for Bogosian straight across.

Winnipeg has Trouba coming soon - possibly next year. Byfuglien, Enstrom, M. Stuart, Trouba, Postma, Redmond and they could add another d-man in the off season.

Winnipeg has the 2nd worst PP in the league and could use Gagner there, as well as on a 2nd line C/RW to compliment Ladd or Kane on the LW.

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheiffle/Burmistrov/Jokinen-Gagner

Edmonton gets a puck moving d-man with size and capable of playing 20+ minutes.

This deal was rumoured back in the Atlanta days and could make sense for both teams today.
they will spit in your face.

also: not realistic.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
BowDangles

These are from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts.

22. Oilers GM Craig MacTavish, asked if he sees Taylor Hall as a winger or a centre: "We wanted to try him at centre this season, but aside from some faceoff work when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins struggled, it never materialized ... Terry O'Reilly always used to tell me, 'Position is just a place where you line up when they drop the puck.' Taylor covers a lot of ice from the wing."

23. MacTavish had another good quote: "My vision of the team will be very obvious very quickly." He pointed to Montreal as a team he hoped to emulate. It's tough to make trades right after the season because you can't deal with anyone in the playoffs and those who are out of it prefer to decompress before making important decisions. It's a good thing he was at the under-18s in Russia because this week's been a nightmare.

24. MacTavish did not specifically address Oscar Klefbom, but the sense is the Oilers consider the left-shooting defensive prospect an untouchable. I also think they are realistic about his impact, especially after Justin Schultz's late-season struggles. They believe he can be a top-pairing blue-liner, but maybe not for two years.

25. Finally, Edmonton is going to try and upgrade in goal. Devan Dubnyk's held them in a lot more games than the Oilers deserve, but they don't have much throughout the organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them chase guys who can help them in both the NHL and AHL.

I am surprised and happy that MacT is looking for an upgrade in goal. I hope they get it, Dubnyk has played good this year but really needs to improve his rebound control. I don't see him being the answer next year..

Also to "emulate" Montreal seemed interesting to me... I am also glad that they are looking at Klefbom as a couple years away from playing big minutes. I would hate to see him get thrown to the wolves his first year in the NHL. They need to ease him into things.

I also wonder if they start Hall at centre starting at the beginning of training camp (Hall said if he was going to try it, he would want to do it from the start of the year).

Old
04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
These are from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts.

22. Oilers GM Craig MacTavish, asked if he sees Taylor Hall as a winger or a centre: "We wanted to try him at centre this season, but aside from some faceoff work when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins struggled, it never materialized ... Terry O'Reilly always used to tell me, 'Position is just a place where you line up when they drop the puck.' Taylor covers a lot of ice from the wing."

23. MacTavish had another good quote: "My vision of the team will be very obvious very quickly." He pointed to Montreal as a team he hoped to emulate. It's tough to make trades right after the season because you can't deal with anyone in the playoffs and those who are out of it prefer to decompress before making important decisions. It's a good thing he was at the under-18s in Russia because this week's been a nightmare.

24. MacTavish did not specifically address Oscar Klefbom, but the sense is the Oilers consider the left-shooting defensive prospect an untouchable. I also think they are realistic about his impact, especially after Justin Schultz's late-season struggles. They believe he can be a top-pairing blue-liner, but maybe not for two years.

25. Finally, Edmonton is going to try and upgrade in goal. Devan Dubnyk's held them in a lot more games than the Oilers deserve, but they don't have much throughout the organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them chase guys who can help them in both the NHL and AHL.

I am surprised and happy that MacT is looking for an upgrade in goal. I hope they get it, Dubnyk has played good this year but really needs to improve his rebound control. I don't see him being the answer next year..

Also to "emulate" Montreal seemed interesting to me... I am also glad that they are looking at Klefbom as a couple years away from playing big minutes. I would hate to see him get thrown to the wolves his first year in the NHL. They need to ease him into things.

I also wonder if they start Hall at centre starting at the beginning of training camp (Hall said if he was going to try it, he would want to do it from the start of the year).
They should try him out at center for the last 2 games. What do they have to lose exactly?

Closed Thread