HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff update

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
you dont think minny even has a chance against anaheim? i beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Based on Minny's play recently, they might not even make the playoffs. Both CBJ and Det are 1 point behind them.

The Wild just look terrible since the deadline and it would not surprise me if they get swept.

What he said.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Based on Minny's play recently, they might not even make the playoffs. Both CBJ and Det are 1 point behind them.

The Wild just look terrible since the deadline and it would not surprise me if they get swept.
even better. cbj or detroit somehow get 7th? we can avoid the hawks for two rounds imo.

and we can beat the ducks in 7. we have a weird stigma when we play them, and some games it looks like how we forgot to hockey...but in 7 games against this ducks team? im not as worried as i was at first.

so if i rank my preferred positions

6-away to vancouver, vets get revenge, we are fast, and bigger than the nucks. a combination we didnt have last time. not to mention they ride their top dogs heavily, and tmac can actually adjust to them. underlying numbers match up well for us. added bonus to this is that potential second round match ups are undergoing a much more travel intensive schedule + physical play.

11th pp (SJ) vs. 7th PK (VAN)
22nd PP (VAN) vs. 5th PK (SJ)

4/5-home ice against the kings is preferable, but the travel is negligable. a team that we never fail to get up for. we tend to actually play to and above our normal numbers against these guys. not to mention the rivalry, and the fact that we can knock down the cup defender early. biggest drawback here, the numbers suggest that LA would murder us, plain and simple. their two way play over the season have been astonishing, imo. in this scenario i would prefer 6. stl 7. minny 8. cbj. i think that seeding gives us the best chance to avoid the blues and columbus.

11th pp (SJ) vs. 9th PK (LA)
10th pp (LA) vs. 5th PK (SJ)

7-drop the sevent and play the ducks. their underlying numbers are pretty bad for a division winner. there is a lot of bad blood here, and corey perry likely injuring one of our guys makes me want to avoid this match up in the first round. id rather they end up against the blue or minny and see what happens for us for now.

11th PP (SJ) vs. 16th PK (ANA)
5th pp (ANA) vs. 5th PK (SJ)

Old
04-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
unless the kings vs sharks game goes into over time (and or), the blues win both games remaining.

it looks like who ever loses the sharks/kings game will end up in 6th.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Sharks7

As of now, Sharks will play either ANA , VAN, LA or STL in the first round

Old
04-25-2013, 11:11 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Looks like Detroit and Minnesota can clinch today with a Dallas and Detroit win. Dallas out of the race if they lose or if Detroit wins. Columbus out of the race if they lose and Detroit wins.

Must-win for Dallas. Not a must-win for the Detroit/Columbus, but they'd be tempting fate.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:42 AM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks7 View Post
As of now, Sharks will play either ANA , VAN, LA or STL in the first round
Hopefully it is ANA, VAN or LA so we can have all west coast starting times.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:53 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Looks like Detroit and Minnesota can clinch today with a Dallas and Detroit win. Dallas out of the race if they lose or if Detroit wins. Columbus out of the race if they lose and Detroit wins.

Must-win for Dallas. Not a must-win for the Detroit/Columbus, but they'd be tempting fate.
Detroit game tonight starts an hour before the Cbus/Dallas game. So if Detroit wins, the CBus/Dallas is going on and for CBus it does then become must win, right?

Would be crazy to see that CBus finds out DET won while in the third period with Dallas, but Dallas is winning by 2 and it's the third period. You'd think once you get into that kind of scenario you start pulling the goalie with like 3 or 4 minutes left in the game, right?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post

It's pretty much a must-win for CBJ. If Detroit gets one more point than CBJ tonight, CBJ cannot catch Detroit based on ROWs. I don't see a rested Wild team losing in regulation to Edmonton, who is 1-9 in their past 10.

Personally I'm hoping Minny does lose on Friday, Detroit gets 1 point, and CBJ wins. Then we'd have a free-for-all for the 7th and 8th seeds on the last day.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:36 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Detroit game tonight starts an hour before the Cbus/Dallas game. So if Detroit wins, the CBus/Dallas is going on and for CBus it does then become must win, right?
Yep. That 2nd intermission of the Columbus/Dallas game should be interesting. Must-win 3rd period for Columbus versus out-of-the-playoffs but playing spoiler Dallas.

Quote:
It's pretty much a must-win for CBJ. If Detroit gets one more point than CBJ tonight, CBJ cannot catch Detroit based on ROWs. I don't see a rested Wild team losing in regulation to Edmonton, who is 1-9 in their past 10..
That's what I meant by "tempting fate".

Old
04-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Winky

I'm really pulling for a first round matchup of us getting 4th against the Kings or us getting 6th against the Canucks. Also hoping the Wings get in over Jackets or Stars.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:04 PM
hockfan1991

the question is since we are the last game of the western conference regular season. if st. louis wins both, and sharks will pretty much know by the time the puck drops with the kings. if its not possible to get home ice anymore, do they rst regulars and lose to finish 6th and play vancouver? or do they play there hearts out to beat the kings again only ro start on the road in st. louis, not a good matchup. if they have a choice essentially to who they play? would they throw a game? they would never admit to that but would be interesting

Old
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
sactown dude
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan1991 View Post
the question is since we are the last game of the western conference regular season. if st. louis wins both, and sharks will pretty much know by the time the puck drops with the kings. if its not possible to get home ice anymore, do they rst regulars and lose to finish 6th and play vancouver? or do they play there hearts out to beat the kings again only ro start on the road in st. louis, not a good matchup. if they have a choice essentially to who they play? would they throw a game? they would never admit to that but would be interesting
A possibility when the puck drops with the Kings: Sharks win=4th place, Sharks regulation loss=7th place.

Would be true if STL gets 2 points in last two games, and MIN wins last two. STL would have 58 and MIN 57, with SJ and LAK both having 57 going into their game. SJ win = 59 pts. SJ reg loss = 57, and MIN wins tiebreaker.

So SJ win would give them home ice vs STL in 1st round.
SJ OT/SO win would give them home ice vs LAK in 1st round.
SJ reg loss would give them ANA in 1st round.
SJ OT/SO loss would give them VAN in 1st round.

Last edited by sactown dude: 04-25-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old
04-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan1991 View Post
This team doesn't play any game to lose. They had this scenario last year where they could lose to play Vancouver or win to play St. Louis and they went out and won anyway. lol They won't ever throw a game.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
This team doesn't play any game to lose. They had this scenario last year where they could lose to play Vancouver or win to play St. Louis and they went out and won anyway. lol They won't ever throw a game.
Would we ever be able to tell the difference between the "off games" and the "throwing games" play?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Would we ever be able to tell the difference between the "off games" and the "throwing games" play?
If they lose to the Kings I am going to believe they tanked on purpose, truth be damned.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
04-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
From the players, probably not. From the coaches, absolutely.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:31 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

I wouldn't mind losing and playing Anaheim, but I want Niemi to get a win.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Anyone else want a first round matchup against Van?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:42 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Anyone else want a first round matchup against Van?
I do, I think it's a good match up for us, fun, exciting, and if we win the Cup, I want us to roll through the west beating teams we haven't beat in the postseason yet (Nucks, Hawks, Ducks). Plus Bieksa is still out (right?), and Kesler isn't the same because of injuries. This is the time to want the Nucks in the first round, IMHO.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:44 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
The most pitiful Sharks performance I've EVER seen was the final game of the 99-00 season, I was there in person Sharks vs. Nucks at the Tank. Win and get 7 seed to face Dallas, Lose and get 8 seed to face President's Trophy Blues.

They not only lost 5-0, but there was no effort. It looked like a tank job if I ever saw one...and I think from the Sharks POV, they felt like it paid off and proved a point (Since they lost to Dallas in 5 in the second round).

Old
04-25-2013, 10:02 PM
stator

vCash: 475
The Wild fans want a playoff match up against the Ducks who they consider the softest target of the top 4 seeds. They want to avoid Hawks and Canucks.

I'd say due to the Sharks dismal road record which is the worse of the qualifying 8 teams as of today, we want home ice advantage as much as possible.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stator View Post
The Wild fans want a playoff match up against the Ducks who they consider the softest target of the top 4 seeds. They want to avoid Hawks and Canucks.

I'd say due to the Sharks dismal road record which is the worse of the qualifying 8 teams as of today, we want home ice advantage as much as possible.
Problem is that the Sharks had/have to go on the road to get it. lol

Old
04-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Problem is that the Sharks had/have to go on the road to get it. lol
Not only that but the Blue's have a little bit of an advantage at this point. I hate to say it but LA will probably beat us on saturday.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:12 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
All I know is we desperately need Chicago to win in regulation on Saturday. Both Kings and Sharks fans can agree on that.

COME ON ZEUS!!!!!!!

Old
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Not only that but the Blue's have a little bit of an advantage at this point. I hate to say it but LA will probably beat us on saturday.
I don't think it makes that big of a deal. Yeah their road record sucks but the last few times they've been on the road, they've improved their play. I have enough confidence in them to win on the road in the playoffs even with their record. I don't really have a preference nor do I believe one is really a better matchup for them. People like to crow on the Kings being a nightmare matchup but I think the Sharks match up rather well with them actually. Only team I have no faith in the Sharks beating is Chicago.

Closed Thread