HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 09:42 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
If I had to answer Tim P.'s idiotic questions every day I might act the same though.
This. The Philly media asks RIDICULOUS questions, extremely invasive, and honestly there is never a right way to answer them.

At this point, I'm fairly certain he's just ****ing with the reporters. At least that's the way I read it based on his mannerisms and inflection.

04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I'd like to know why Bryz doesn't seem to have a good relationship with Lavy AND Jeff Reese.

He must not like the stuff they tell him, Bryz is probably stubborn.

Mason seems to be taking in Reese's knowledge and critique and it's working so far.

Albeit: Small sample size, I think Mason will thrive here.... hopefully.
There is a significantly better chance of the Leighton hating comments being replaced by Mason hating comments this time next season than there is of him "thriving" in Philly.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I am really starting to think a buyout of Bryz is not only possible, but likely. Earlier in the year I thought it really wasn't even an option (due to the lack of replacement and the fact that earlier in the year he wasn't all tha tbad). His inability to improve and the acquisition of Mason really make me think that he has played his last game in Orange and Black (unless he is starting tonight...).

Old
04-25-2013, 10:35 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I am really starting to think a buyout of Bryz is not only possible, but likely. Earlier in the year I thought it really wasn't even an option (due to the lack of replacement and the fact that earlier in the year he wasn't all tha tbad). His inability to improve and the acquisition of Mason really make me think that he has played his last game in Orange and Black (unless he is starting tonight...).
He's starting tonight.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:37 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's starting tonight.
Then I think tonight may be his last game in O&B.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:38 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Then I think tonight may be his last game in O&B.
I hope.

I'm not "sold" on Mason, but I am sold on Bryzgalov never being the goalie the Flyers need.

That's the only answer that matters.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I doubt it. I think Homer gives him one more year before it happens.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually did happen this summer

Old
04-25-2013, 10:44 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
He's starting tonight.
MSE said in the GDT that Mason is the expected starter. May i ask where you got your information from?

Old
04-25-2013, 10:54 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
MSE said in the GDT that Mason is the expected starter. May i ask where you got your information from?
David Strehle via Sam Carchidi.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I hope.

I'm not "sold" on Mason, but I am sold on Bryzgalov never being the goalie the Flyers need.

That's the only answer that matters.
My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't offer Mason a lifetime contract, but my god. No one could be as bad as Bryz for what he is being paid. Earlier in the year (and last year) I was confident it was a fluke and he could rebound and blah blah blah. Now I am convinced he is as bad as everyone says he is. Get rid of him. Even if Mason sucks next year at $1.9 or whatever he is making, that is better than Bryz sucking at $5.5 for the next 467 years.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

If Bryz does get bought out this year I really hope he goes to the KHL. I can see a team like NJ signing him after (if) Marty retires and him just torching us next season and beyond. Even if you're lazy like people think Bryz is, nothing lights a fire under your ass like being told you suck and subsequently being let go.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
If Bryz does get bought out this year I really hope he goes to the KHL. I can see a team like NJ signing him after (if) Marty retires and him just torching us next season and beyond. Even if you're lazy like people think Bryz is, nothing lights a fire under your ass like being told you suck and subsequently being let go.
Hell, if there are teams that would be interested in him, try and trade him first I'd say. (Even if it's the devils)

Old
04-25-2013, 12:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Hell, if there are teams that would be interested in him, try and trade him first I'd say. (Even if it's the devils)
Absolutely. Doubtful unless the Flyers ate some of the contract.

I guess that brings up a question for me: if the org eats salary, does that mean they retain cap hit, or just pay part of the salary? If they tried to trade him and rid the cap hit but pay part of it, I imagine that makes more sense from a business perspective.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Absolutely. Doubtful unless the Flyers ate some of the contract.

I guess that brings up a question for me: if the org eats salary, does that mean they retain cap hit, or just pay part of the salary? If they tried to trade him and rid the cap hit but pay part of it, I imagine that makes more sense from a business perspective.
nobody's gonna trade for him for anything worth while when they know the flyers WILL buy him out by next summer. be nice if someone was stupid enough to do it but most teams have some kind of plan in goal. even tho his contract sucks even more its the same deal as luongo. those two contracts are as blatant as you can get as to why the amnesty exists.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
nobody's gonna trade for him for anything worth while when they know the flyers WILL buy him out by next summer. be nice if someone was stupid enough to do it but most teams have some kind of plan in goal. even tho his contract sucks even more its the same deal as luongo. those two contracts are as blatant as you can get as to why the amnesty exists.
I agree. My post was completely hypothetical.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers and Islanders post game was interesting with Boruk, Tocchet and Coatsey. They discussed Bryz and were kind of making fun of him. Tocchet mentioned that he didn't like how Bryz complained to the media about being tired this year. Was mentioned that Bryz went to Lavi last year and said he wanted to play more and then he plays more this year and complains. Coatsey agrees and says that the rest of the team could have said the same thing to the media this year about being tired but didn't. They then suggested that maybe Bryz needs some competition (Mason) to light a fire under his butt. They were chuckling and jabbing the whole time....

Anyway, we shall see how that plays out next season if Bryz remains....

Old
04-25-2013, 09:37 PM
orangecrush8

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421695

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun spoke with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and was informed that Bryzgalov wouldn't be bought out this off-season. There is a rift between coach Peter Laviolette and Bryzgalov, but there doesn't appear to be a coaching change so it's up to both men to work out their issues.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:40 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Flyers and Islanders post game was interesting with Boruk, Tocchet and Coatsey. They discussed Bryz and were kind of making fun of him. Tocchet mentioned that he didn't like how Bryz complained to the media about being tired this year. Was mentioned that Bryz went to Lavi last year and said he wanted to play more and then he plays more this year and complains. Coatsey agrees and says that the rest of the team could have said the same thing to the media this year about being tired but didn't. They then suggested that maybe Bryz needs some competition (Mason) to light a fire under his butt. They were chuckling and jabbing the whole time....

Anyway, we shall see how that plays out next season if Bryz remains....
Let's be fair here. This year was a mutant one, with an ultra-compressed schedule. So not only was Bryzgalov starting pretty much every single game, but there was less between-game recuperation. I think this was a huge factor in Bryzgalov's mediocrity this "season".

Old
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Let's be fair here. This year was a mutant one, with an ultra-compressed schedule. So not only was Bryzgalov starting pretty much every single game, but there was less between-game recuperation. I think this was a huge factor in Bryzgalov's mediocrity this "season".
Yeah I hear you but really Bryz is just mediocre regardless and everybody else played a compressed schedule along with him. Anyway, since he has another season of excuses and bemoaning let's see what transpires (probably going to complain about platooning or getting his job taken away by Mason).

Old
04-25-2013, 10:15 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Boo! Hiss!

at least one of them needs to go if there is a "rift" between them.

Last edited by RevUpThoseGolfCarts: 04-25-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: I'd rather have both gone too
Old
04-25-2013, 10:17 PM
FLYERSFAN18

They both should go. I'm tired of lavys lack of adjustments and having "rifts" with players. And I am tired of Bryz being an average goalie getting paid like and elite goalie

Old
04-25-2013, 10:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Yeah how did that work out for Richards......

Personally, I don't think it's going to work out with either of them.....they both should be let go.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
Boo! Hiss!

One of them needs to go if there is a "rift" between them.
At this point I rather have Lavi leave of the two. Bryz is likely gone next summer so lets get rid of Lavi now. I like Lavi but the dude was brain dead all year with all the dumb *** moves he made.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
At this point I rather have Lavi leave of the two. Bryz is likely gone next summer so lets get rid of Lavi now. I like Lavi but the dude was brain dead all year with all the dumb *** moves he made.
He's probably staying b/c Holmgren knows he bears some responsibility. It would be an indictment on him since his offseason body of work was less than stellar but yeah I don't see keeping Lavi around as a good idea. Holmgren is just going to wind up getting rid of him by December just like he had to do with Stevens when he kept him around too long. I mean Holmgren mentioned that he needs to ID why the team was inconsistent this season.....he needs to look at his coach harder b/c he definitely played a part in that.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:09 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
He's probably staying b/c Holmgren knows he bears some responsibility. It would be an indictment on him since his offseason body of work was less than stellar but yeah I don't see keeping Lavi around as a good idea. Holmgren is just going to wind up getting rid of him by December just like he had to do with Stevens when he kept him around too long. I mean Holmgren mentioned that he needs to ID why the team was inconsistent this season.....he needs to look at his coach harder b/c he definitely played a part in that.
i agree. laviolette is done here. why prolong it?

Closed Thread