HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not finishing strong

Old
04-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Satan'sIsland81

vCash: 500
Not finishing strong

I hate to be negative but I am very disappointed in the way this team has played for three games now. We were lucky to get a win in Winnipeg and have not played well these past two games against 2 of the worst teams in the conference, while every team around us took care of business tonight.

Right now, the Isles are headed in the wrong direction heading in to the playoffs. Unfortunately, just like far too many posters on this board, this team has seemed content to just be in the playoffs these last 2 games. In most circumstances, that would be fine, but we were in a position to get an ideal first round matchup and even looking further ahead, avoid Pittsburgh/Boston even in the second round if there was an upset or two. We were in position to go in to the playoffs with a legit chance of winning at least a round. Facing Pittsburgh does not bode well for this team and likely means us watching another five game exit, like every year except the Toronto series.

With so much on the line and considering who they were facing, this team's effort the past two games is unacceptable, while Toronto, Ottawa and the Rags all found a way to get it done tonight.

After the thrilling run this team had been on, it is a shame that complacency will cost them in the end, when we had a chance to be 5th or 6th in the conference.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
I hate to be negative but I am very disappointed in the way this team has played for three games now. We were lucky to get a win in Winnipeg and have not played well these past two games against 2 of the worst teams in the conference, while every team around us took care of business tonight.

Right now, the Isles are headed in the wrong direction heading in to the playoffs. Unfortunately, just like far too many posters on this board, this team has seemed content to just be in the playoffs these last 2 games. In most circumstances, that would be fine, but we were in a position to get an ideal first round matchup and even looking further ahead, avoid Pittsburgh/Boston even in the second round if there was an upset or two. We were in position to go in to the playoffs with a legit chance of winning at least a round. Facing Pittsburgh does not bode well for this team and likely means us watching another five game exit, like every year except the Toronto series.

With so much on the line and considering who they were facing, this team's effort the past two games is unacceptable, while Toronto, Ottawa and the Rags all found a way to get it done tonight.

After the thrilling run this team had been on, it is a shame that complacency will cost them in the end, when we had a chance to be 5th or 6th in the conference.
Yep, this team backed into the playoffs. What a terrible last few weeks of the season.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Two regulation losses in the last 14 games. 2-0 to Pitts and 2-1 to Philly.

Two games they could have easily won as well.

Perspective.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:01 PM
letsgoisles89

This was incredibly frustrating. I can't believe the roster changes made by the coaching staff for tonight's game. They set the tone at the top and sitting nabby combined with putting carkner and boulton in tonight's lineup showed the team how complacent they were with just making it to the playoffs this season. They just wanted to make it out of Philly alive and it showed.

letsgoisles89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:11 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
They made the playoffs. I hope they rest the big guys next game, mail in a loss, and come out hungry for Pittsburg.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:22 PM
RMimagery

There's really no need to start a thread like this.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:24 PM
JTforPres2012

No need for this thread to be started. Did you see what streak the Isles needed to go on to make the playoffs? It was absolutely absurd, so one loss after they clinch isn't the worst thing in the world.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:26 PM
burana800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
There's really no need to start a thread like this.
This. After first 5 minutes of Game 1 we know if we need to worry or not.

burana800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:42 PM
mitchy22

A letdown at some point was to be expected. The fact that we had a letdown and were still competitive was actually heartening for me. I'm more concerned about the forcing of plays and giveaways that started to creep back into our game.

I'm torn about the last game of the regular season. Part of me wants the team to rest guys that are nursing minor injuries and whatnot. The other part of me wants them to tighten up their game and see what two more points can do for them in the standings.

The team just lost their first game in regulation during the month of April.
They lost the game after they clinched a playoff spot. It's like they just placed in the top 8 of a marathon, and then they had to do a much less meaningful 5K charity event for fun a couple days later. (I don't run competitively, but I hope that analogy still works, hehe.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Yeah, all of you are right, it's no big deal that in a huge game with a ton still on the line, the Isles came out and got outplayed, outhustled and outshot 13-4 in the first period against a lousy team with nothing to play for...yeah, who cares about that?

We made the playoffs yippeeeeeee.

Dont get me wrong, this recent run (before these past 3 games) have been incredible and I have been just as excited as anybody about what is taking place, but these past three games the team has not looked like the team for the month prior to them. What does that run have anything to do with tonight? Or losing to Carolina the other night? There was still plenty to play for, "winners" dont get content just because they make the playoffs as an 8th seed.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
A letdown at some point was to be expected. The fact that we had a letdown and were still competitive was actually heartening for me. I'm more concerned about the forcing of plays and giveaways that started to creep back into our game.

I'm torn about the last game of the regular season. Part of me wants the team to rest guys that are nursing minor injuries and whatnot. The other part of me wants them to tighten up their game and see what two more points can do for them in the standings.

The team just lost their first game in regulation during the month of April.
They lost the game after they clinched a playoff spot. It's like they just placed in the top 8 of a marathon, and then they had to do a much less meaningful 5K charity event for fun a couple days later. (I don't run competitively, but I hope that analogy still works, hehe.)

Mitch
This is what I am saying, its not just losing these past two. You can slowly see bad habits creeping back in to the Isles game and that comes from complacency and taking your foot of the pedal because you are satisfied with what you already accomplished.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:52 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Yeah, all of you are right, it's no big deal that in a huge game with a ton still on the line, the Isles came out and got outplayed, outhustled and outshot 13-4 in the first period against a lousy team with nothing to play for...yeah, who cares about that?

We made the playoffs yippeeeeeee.

Dont get me wrong, this recent run (before these past 3 games) have been incredible and I have been just as excited as anybody about what is taking place, but these past three games the team has not looked like the team for the month prior to them. What does that run have anything to do with tonight? Or losing to Carolina the other night? There was still plenty to play for, "winners" dont get content just because they make the playoffs as an 8th seed.
The Flyers were playing their last home game. That's not nothing to play for.

The letdown is natural. Whether they rebound from it should be what we care about. I'm with you on the cause for concern as I was unhappy with the turnovers in the past few games which were almost nonexistent from our game for much of April. I don't want the team playing sloppy in the playoffs. I'm not concerned about the effort. This team was playing playoff hockey for a month. That takes a toll. It's why a letdown at some point was to be expected.

Let's see how they play tomorrow. I really only care that they're disciplined. The team has put forth a pretty good effort for a long time now. I see no reason why they wouldn't give it their all in the playoffs. On the flip side, I'd rather not see them bringing bad habits in with them.

Quote:
This is what I am saying, its not just losing these past two. You can slowly see bad habits creeping back in to the Isles game and that comes from complacency and taking your foot of the pedal because you are satisfied with what you already accomplished.
Edit - (Damned asynchronous communication!) It's hard to judge if it's complacency and not mental fatigue. There were still moments where you could see the team gave a **** even in the Philly game. We'll all know soon enough whether they were pulling back or just needed to regroup after a strenuous run.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 04-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
First game all month they didn't earn a point, I'm not worried. The Isles have bounced back and I think a win tomorrow in Buffalo would be a nice way to close out a great month of Isles hockey. Everyone get ready to rock the barn!

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Islanderfan17

My god some fans just can't be pleased

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

They play lousy the first playoff game, then maybe it's time to complain. Until then, not so much.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:40 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
I think if this game was at the NVMC there would have been no letdown with 16,000 fans going nuts, but unfortunately we finished the season on a 5 game road trip. We had to lose a game sooner or later anyway.

I also understand Boulton will most likely not be taking a shift in the playoffs where he was out there in the 3rd period. Carkner's roll will be reduced (if he is not sitting)and we all saw Nabby needed the rest.

I'm sure there was a little bit of a hangover (no pun intended) from working so hard even just to make the playoffs. The Flyers are headed to the golf course and if you don't dress Boulton and Carkner what's their deterrent from taking runs at everyone for their last home game and going out with a "bang".

I'm disappointed because if we won tonight we would have just needed 1 point in the Buffalo game to secure no worse then 7th and let the Rags play the Penguins in round 1. It didn't happen but with a win tomorrow and a loss in regulation,OT, or SO for the Rags we still get 7th.

I'm sure nobody on the team is happy with tonight's loss but at the end you knew there was going to be a letdown and better now then in game 1.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:41 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
They play lousy the first playoff game, then maybe it's time to complain. Until then, not so much.
^^^^ What he said.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
In no way am I equating losing with a positive thing (I've spent the last five years going to war with the pro-"tank for the lottery" lot), but I can't help feeling like Washington is perhaps the last team I want to face in round 1.

Crispy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:32 AM
burana800

You think we might have the "Devils syndrom" from last year? Excluding Brodeur they celebrated the conference championship as they won the cup. I mean they achieved so much already and then it is hard to have the same energy and hunger. Might not happen with this team I have no idea.

burana800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:32 AM
IslesFan23

Well its never easy when you play 5 games in a row on the road to close out a season. I expect the Isles to come out with some energy tonight, I'm not concerned about cooling off in the playoffs. This team seems to play well under pressure and feeds off the energy of important games.

IslesFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:44 AM
RealSturat

After a night to clear my head I came up with this thought. Most assumed we would lose to Boston 2 weeks ago. But we won that HUGE game to game 2 unexpected points. So I am basically flipping that game and the Flyers game. Plus just imagine if it had been reversed. We would have been watching last nights game with playoffs on the line still. I think the current outcome was better. Not ideal, but better.

This five game road trip has got to be killing them. Who the hell schedules a team for a five game road trip to end a season. Obviously the schedule makers counted us out again.

And I hate to look back, but the point or two we had ripped away in the Ottawa game are looming large now. That game should have been won in regulation or at least gotten to OT. The team would still control its destiny.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:48 AM
NYI JT91

vCash: 50
This thread is really premature and not needed... Just be happy. We've been the best team in the league for over a month.. God forbid we have 3 subpar games in which we went 1-1-1. Relax people, we've been playing like its the Stanley cup finals for the last 20 games. Mentally and physically fatigued a bit and just need a rest which they will get for 3-4 days and they will be just fine.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:54 AM
NYI JT91

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSturat View Post
After a night to clear my head I came up with this thought. Most assumed we would lose to Boston 2 weeks ago. But we won that HUGE game to game 2 unexpected points. So I am basically flipping that game and the Flyers game. Plus just imagine if it had been reversed. We would have been watching last nights game with playoffs on the line still. I think the current outcome was better. Not ideal, but better.

This five game road trip has got to be killing them. Who the hell schedules a team for a five game road trip to end a season. Obviously the schedule makers counted us out again.

And I hate to look back, but the point or two we had ripped away in the Ottawa game are looming large now. That game should have been won in regulation or at least gotten to OT. The team would still control its destiny.
Don't forget the 1-0 loss to the New York luckvists. Luckiest game I've ever seen.. We destroyed them and lost and tonight the rags win with a lucky bounce off the boards lol unreal. We would be leading the division if we had their luck.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:50 AM
stranger34

I really don't care who we play in the playoffs. Losing in the second round doesnt mean any more to me than losing in the first round. in some ways the 1 vs 8 is more exciting because you get to take on the big dog right away

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:53 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
This was incredibly frustrating. I can't believe the roster changes made by the coaching staff for tonight's game. They set the tone at the top and sitting nabby combined with putting carkner and boulton in tonight's lineup showed the team how complacent they were with just making it to the playoffs this season. They just wanted to make it out of Philly alive and it showed.
They had to sit Nabby. You could tell in that last game that he was mentally burnt. Besides Poulin didn't lose that game for us last night. But I do question the installation of Carkner and Boulton. That really put a dent in our offensive game. But it really doesn't make any difference where we finish because this team is in for an uphill battle. The road to the Stanley Cup has to go through Boston & Pittsburgh so might as well see what we are made of early on.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote