HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT - Baby Habs vs. York Lions, 7 PM est

Old
09-11-2006, 10:33 PM
The Prospector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
Having 7 points against York University players ain't really any indication...
Well it doesn't mean he'll play in the NHL i know, but darn, 7 pts for a D-man, even if there's no opposition, the guy has some talent. He would've not been there if he didn't have. He probably wanted to do his best due to his bad beginning in the tournament.

The Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
Well it doesn't mean he'll play in the NHL i know, but darn, 7 pts for a D-man, even if there's no opposition, the guy has some talent. He would've not been there if he didn't have. He probably wanted to do his best due to his bad beginning in the tournament.
Exactly. While other players didnt go all out because they didnt feel the need he probably played more intense then the others. I dont think you should read to much in his 7 points.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
The Prospector

But with 7 pts I think it still shows that there's at least a bit of talent in this guy.

Old
09-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

I don't know if the CIS ever graduated a player to the NHL.
Randy Gregg
Steve Rucchin
PJ Stock
Yanic Tremblay
Chris Kotsopoulous
Claude Vilgrain

These are guys just off the top of my head. Actually, over the last 15 years or so, the West and the Atlantic have been the stronger divisions in the CIS. The Atlantic has extreme parity whereby teams often go from 1st to 8th or vice versa in the span of one season. Each team in the Atlantic usually has a handful of NHL draft picks. One year University of New Brunswick won the Nationals and had 6 or 7 former OHL captains. Any team from the Atlantic can make noise at Nationals and usually beat Ontario teams quite badly in pre-season tournaments.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
HappyFan

I just got back from the game. It wasn't as intense as the previous two, and it was really obvious. A few thoughts:

1) They played the line of Petit/Mouton/Picard/Picard-Hooper alot in the 3rd period, they were the only line that didn't dominate the York team.

2) Most of the big guns didn't play much in the 3rd, but they put up the points when they did.

3) Jon Gleed (#55) looked solid/confident tonight, moreso than the other games. He has a strong wrist-shot.

4) The York goal came with 2:35 left in the 3rd, and generated the biggest cheer from the crowd which was quite small.

5) Price was dressed as the backup goalie, tells me he'll be playing tomorrow.

6) Grabs' goal (the 15th I think) was gorgeous, he picked the top corner Kovalev-style from the top of the faceoff cricle.

7) Aforementioned 3rd period with no clock stopages.

I'll answer any questions you guys post to the best of my abilities.

HappyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
The Prospector

Well, what did yoou think of Carle's performance and Aubin?

Old
09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
HappyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Hopefully next year they can find a more suitable fourth team to play against. There isn't much to prove by blowing out a mediocre CIS team.
I assume the tourney will be in Florida next year? I can see the Sens cheaping out on that one again to save airfare

Old
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
HappyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
Well, what did yoou think of Carle's performance and Aubin?
Carle looked great. He clearly demonstrated his vision of the game because he was 2 steps ahead of all the York players, or so it seemed to me.

Aubin did very well in the 1st with Grabs/Kosty but after that it was hard to notice will all the line juggling. I think he played the latter half of the game with Latendresse which can only be a good sign. It is hard to judge a guy like him in a game like that though.

Old
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
The Prospector

Thanks Buddy!

Old
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
TroyM

Do you have the box score by any chance? I'm really interested to see the assists and such if so!

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Sadly I can't quite round out the boxscore. After sitting through the TOR-FLO game and the first two periods of the York romp, I figured I'd give my little guy a break and bring him home early. He couldn't take much more, and there was clearly no point in staying any longer. The Boxscore for periods one and two by my notes:

1st
1. D'Agostini (unassisted)
2. St.Denis (Aubin, Kostitsyn)
3. Cepek (unassisted)
4. Aubin (Carle, Kostitsyn)
2nd
5. Aubin (Kostitsyn, Carle)
6. Carle (Kostitsyn, ?)
7. Kostitsyn (Aubin, Carle)
8. Gleed (White, Stewart)
9. Grabovski (Latendresse)
3rd
... well, I was walking out as the third period was starting, but I think they scored 3 goals in the time it took me to walk to the streetcars and the PA system is loud enough that you can sort of hear it from the streetcar stop... I thought I heard something like this:
10. Maxwell (Aubin?, ?)
11. Petit (Picard-Hooper, ?)
12. D'Agostini (Latendresse, Carle)
that means the other 3 goals I missed should have been Carle, Grabovski, and Maxwell, I guess.

There wasn't any juggling of the lines to start the game, except that this time the third and 4th lines were seeing much more time plus specialty team time.
Latendresse-Chipchura-D'Agostini
Aubin-Grabovski-Kostitsyn
Stewart-Maxwell-White
Mouton-PicardHooper-Petit
Cepek-St.Denis
Joanisse-Carle
O'Byrne-Gleed
Lacasse

Shots were 20-3 in the first and 36-7 after the 2nd.

There isn't really much point in making individual player comments, the play was so lopsided. Even the guys like Gleed and Cepek looked great compared to the opposition.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFan View Post
I assume the tourney will be in Florida next year? I can see the Sens cheaping out on that one again to save airfare
I think it should stay in Ricoh, of course... ... but it would be great if they could grow it. Getting Ottawa back in for starters, but also why not bring Buffalo over too, they're nearby and afaik they aren't in any rookie tourney and always have lots of good prospects.

Old
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
HappyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think it should stay in Ricoh, of course... ... but it would be great if they could grow it. Getting Ottawa back in for starters, but also why not bring Buffalo over too, they're nearby and afaik they aren't in any rookie tourney and always have lots of good prospects.
I have to say the Ricoh facilities leave me questioning whether it will ever be back. Did you notice the habs geeting on their "Orleans" bus in full gear? I think they didn't have a full dressing room and had to change equipment at the ACC.

Can anyone confirm?

Old
09-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It would have been better if they could have found a quality CIS team to play against, but York was probably just more convenient due to their proximity to the event. York wasn't even a .500 team last season and were eliminated in the first round of the OUA playoffs. There are several CIS teams who would have been much more competitive.
Yeah, it must have been the proximity. Plus I think there is also some kind of connection there, since York had a couple of players skating with the Marlies during last season when they were shorthanded with all the defense recalls to the Leafs too.

I thought I counted around 12 guys from last year's York roster who had OHL experience, plus Smith who was a Coyote draft, and another guy who played in the ECHL. And that was the team that was just .500 and mediocre. On the roster sheet for this year's team, there are only 6 guys listed from the OHL, Passfield who played in the ECHL, and the rest are mostly Jr. "A" graduates from the OPJHL. I had thought Marcus Smith was supposed to be back this year again, but he isn't listed, maybe he had a pro try-out somewhere. Anyway, bottom line is that this lineup is likely to be significantly weaker than even the mediocre .500 team from last season.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 09-11-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old
09-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I hope the guys had fun tonight but the bottom line is that I hope they crack the Leafs tomorrow.I hope they have something left tomorrow

Go Habs Go

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I have to say the Ricoh facilities leave me questioning whether it will ever be back. Did you notice the habs geeting on their "Orleans" bus in full gear? I think they didn't have a full dressing room and had to change equipment at the ACC.

Can anyone confirm?
Yeah, it was always funny to walk out after the game and see the Habs all hanging around in the parking lot behind in various states of gearing down. I don't know why they would ship them over to the ACC, though? Just gear down in the bus and hit the hotel was what I was thinking, but I never asked anybody about it.

Of course, the way they've been running the Ricoh during this whole thing has been on the cheap and generally quite pathetic. It's a great building. Normally it's not a meat locker. Normally they don't close off half the seats. Normally they have full concessions around the building open. Normally they have video and stuff on the scoreboard. I would think that normally they have more than 2 dressing rooms too. Maybe they're just running that side of it on the cheap as well.

It's a bit dumb on their part too, since they're trying desperately to market the Marlies to a generally indifferent GTA population, but people who come to see this tourney are probably going to leave with a bad impression and not come back for the Marlies. Whereas if they had tried to make it a little nicer, they might have won over at least a few people, maybe sold enough Marlies tickets to cover for whatever they thought they were saving by penny-pinching on cleaners for the other half of the seats or some heating or whatever.

Old
09-11-2006, 11:35 PM
HabsoluteFate

I was hopping to at least see a couple of goals on RDS but the recording i took didnt even mention the game....i did fast forward through Sports 30 though pretty quickly so its possible i missed it if the report was short

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
It would have been better if they could have found a quality CIS team to play against, but York was probably just more convenient due to their proximity to the event. York wasn't even a .500 team last season and were eliminated in the first round of the OUA playoffs. There are several CIS teams who would have been much more competitive.
For the 4th time in this post, YORK was a last minute fill in for OTTAWA who dropped out stating they didn't have enough NA players...

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Habs13

Well, after we beat the mini Laughs tomorrow, we'll hold the "cup", top goal scoe, top assist maker... most points by a laye..and a team... baaahaha! Habs rule.

Sorry York U.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Well, after we beat the mini Laughs tomorrow, we'll hold the "cup", top goal scoe, top assist maker... most points by a laye..and a team... baaahaha! Habs rule.

Sorry York U.
Well not necessarily. Toronto has 2 players with 10 points each thus far. By my count, we don't have any with that many.

Grabovski is about 4-2-6.
S. Kostitsyn is about 2-5-7.
M. Aubin is about 4-3-7.
M. Carle is 2-5-7.
M. D'Agostini is about 3-1-4.
G. Latendresse is about 1-4-5.

So it's unlikely we'll have the tournament's leading scorer IMO.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 10:32 AM
habfan4

Quote:

Can anyone confirm?
Can't confirm.

However, I can offer the following as further testament to the Ricoh Coliseum's inadequacies for this tourney. On Friday evening, between the 1st and 2nd periods, I ran into Grabs and O'Byrne, who were on their way to the publics men's room in almost full gear

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 11:29 AM
AH

If these stories about the facilities are true, this tournament has been an embarrassment from top to bottom. First the backing out of the Sens, then the addition of a CIS team which gets hammered every time, and then the Leafs fielding an AHL team to go with the poor facilities.

Shame on the Leafs org. for making a sham out of a great event for the fans. This never happened when the tourney was being held in Ottawa or MTL.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Well 15-1 is simply crazy... but as posted earlier the big game comes against the Leafs for the CUP!

Anyone know if Mikus will play?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Well 15-1 is simply crazy... but as posted earlier the big game comes against the Leafs for the CUP!

Anyone know if Mikus will play?
Hopefully they'll put together their "best" lineup for the finale. That would involve replacing Mouton with Mikus, IMO.

On D, Carle, O'Byrne, Gleed, St.Denis would be my first 4 choices. Picking #5 and #6 from the group of Frechette, Joanisse, Martin, and Cepek would be tougher. I'd probably take Joanisse and Martin, I guess.

Goal is going to be the real mystery. Desjardins played best. Do you take him because of that, or go back to Price because he's your #1 guy? I'd roll the dice with Desjardins, personally.

Old
09-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hopefully they'll put together their "best" lineup for the finale. That would involve replacing Mouton with Mikus, IMO.

On D, Carle, O'Byrne, Gleed, St.Denis would be my first 4 choices. Picking #5 and #6 from the group of Frechette, Joanisse, Martin, and Cepek would be tougher. I'd probably take Joanisse and Martin, I guess.

Goal is going to be the real mystery. Desjardins played best. Do you take him because of that, or go back to Price because he's your #1 guy? I'd roll the dice with Desjardins, personally.
I really can't see the Habs management going for tryouts than their personal draft picks for this final and most challenging game. That's why I see, as #5 and #6 Fréchette and Cepek with Joanisse challenging Fréchette's spot. Habs did invite Fréchette at their dev. camp as well so possbile they want to have a final look once and for all....

As far as the forwards, Mikus for Mouton for sure. Is it me or even as a tryout Picard was dissapointing???? Would've been better with Brent Aubin....

As far as the goalies, pretty sure Pogge will be there, so I believe Price will want his rematch. I can't see how they could make that kind of statement for Desjardins by using him in the most important game.....And the nets are regular size, Mr. Price will have a good pre-game sleep.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote