HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
regarding the defensive pipeline, we are just fine. half of our Defense is secure or under team control in Weber-Josi-Klein.

We don't need 10 kids banging down the door here for top 4 minutes. We need to sign a number 4 to a 2-3 year deal in the offseason, which I think most every one can agree is needed. then we fill the bottom pair out next year with 3 of gill/OKT/ellis/Blum/Bartley. And if we are looking longer than that, by that time, Gill will be gone, OKT should be, and we are looking at Blum/Ellis/Bartley is their 3rd and 4th years and shouuld be able to handle 3rd pair, and hopefully one in the second pair.

By then 2-3 drafts will have passed and we will have added 10 or so Dmen to the pool and a couple will stand out and the cycle will start again.

With Smith more than likely out, and pickard not what we expected (I suspect he will get another shot) another Goalie to develop is imperative, as well as finding some speedy forwards. There is alot of bulk in our system coming up and this organization needs more speed.

We are in real good shape when you look at how young our NHL roster is, and that is looking at it before the injuries hit. guys we bag on all the time are mid-twenties.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

No more points!

We can't pick up any more points. I could give a rats ass about playing spoilers for DET/COL. That doesn't get us any closer to winning the SC, but getting the player we want might.

Currently we're sitting in 4th, but are tied in points with EDM and Carolina. Those 2 pits we picked up against Calgary are hurting right now. If we pick up 4 more poitns we could potentially fall to 8th or 9th if a team behind us wins the lottery. That would honestly suck to pick 8th or 9th when we've had a legit horrible season for once.

Let's pull together and finish this tank job in the right way. I could even see us moving up to a solid 3rd if the cards fall right.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:34 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
"Talent" is a very broad term.

Jonathan Toews (#3 overall) has talent and so does Derek Brassard (#6 overall). But they are on different levels.

It can work the opposite way too. Look at 2003 draft, Nathan Horton and Nik Zherdev go #3 and #4. Hortons a decent NHL player, but so many all-stars were selected after them.

I just hope Poile and scouts get it right.
It's a matter of getting the right kid into the right situation. The top few North American and international skaters are projected to do well at the NHL level but the big questions are which one best meets our needs and fits in well enough for individual success.

Look at the Brassard example ... a lot of PIMs and few points with Columbus, no PIMs and 10pts in 11 games with the Rangers. Is it a fluke or simply a better fit?

Old
04-25-2013, 01:03 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
We can't pick up any more points. I could give a rats ass about playing spoilers for DET/COL. That doesn't get us any closer to winning the SC, but getting the player we want might.

Currently we're sitting in 4th, but are tied in points with EDM and Carolina. Those 2 pits we picked up against Calgary are hurting right now. If we pick up 4 more poitns we could potentially fall to 8th or 9th if a team behind us wins the lottery. That would honestly suck to pick 8th or 9th when we've had a legit horrible season for once.

Let's pull together and finish this tank job in the right way. I could even see us moving up to a solid 3rd if the cards fall right.
This this this.

I pray mason is in both games

Old
04-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Is Barkov the one coming off of knee surgery ?
Shoulder surgery. I believe Lindholm has knee surgery.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Shoulder surgery. I believe Lindholm has knee surgery.
didnt know Lindholm is having knee surgery... kinda sucks. Knee surgeries are way more concerning to me then a shoulder surgery.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
didnt know Lindholm is having knee surgery... kinda sucks. Knee surgeries are way more concerning to me then a shoulder surgery.
I could be and hope I am flat out wrong about that. Barkov is having shoulder surgery. That's all I know for sure...

Old
04-25-2013, 02:46 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
I could be and hope I am flat out wrong about that. Barkov is having shoulder surgery. That's all I know for sure...
Ok I havent heard anything nor checked anything. The reason I think it sucks is because we likely get Barkov or Lindholm out of this draft I would think. I just cant see us getting a top 3 pick, even though I think we will be getting a great player out of either of those two

Old
04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Ok I havent heard anything nor checked anything. The reason I think it sucks is because we likely get Barkov or Lindholm out of this draft I would think. I just cant see us getting a top 3 pick, even though I think we will be getting a great player out of either of those two
If we finish the season with the 41 points we have now the chances are really good that we pick 3rd. Our luck we will get knocked down to 4th though with Edmonton winning the lottery...

Old
04-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Legionnaire11

yeah, I know we haven't really talked about it. But it's also important that the Preds win the lottery, or at least a team ahead of them wins. If a team behind them wins then they will be bumped back another spot. It's not that Barkov or Lindholm are bad players, in fact they should be very, very good players. But Mac and Drouin, at least at this point in time, seem to have just a little more potential to be something more than very, very good.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:48 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Which ever teams select Mac and Drouin get to find out how much of their play is the result of playing with the other.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:19 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Which ever teams select Mac and Drouin get to find out how much of their play is the result of playing with the other.
This is a concern I've had as well. They are great players, but is one of them the type of player to make others better? If so, which one, and how much better is he making the other?

Old
04-25-2013, 10:31 PM
braindead

Both were injured for part of the year (at different times) and there was an article around somewhere that analyzed their play while the other was out. In short, they both rocked. I believe Drouin did slightly better IIRC.

I think it also covered assists to each other as well. I can't recall the details but I think the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) was that they were terrific independent of each other.

Edit: Here is the link and it's an interesting read, at least as to performance while the other was out: http://www.thescoutingreport.org/the...non-or-drouin/

The combined effort is harder to figure- both clearly helped pump the stats of the other. It's hard to know what to make of the assists without having seen them... did the assist make the goal or was it a fantastic goal that got someone a cheap assist? Who knows. The article does seem to indicate that maybe Drouin helped McK more than vice versa.

Last edited by braindead: 04-25-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: found the link
Old
04-25-2013, 10:38 PM
NoNecksCurse

lose against columbus, and assuming no team better than us wins the lottery, we are guaranteed jones, mackinnon, drouin, or barkov. barkov is really starting to sound like a good choice. should be able to step in next year and has high end #1 center written all over him. offensively and defensively.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
lose against columbus, and assuming no team better than us wins the lottery, we are guaranteed jones, mackinnon, drouin, or barkov. barkov is really starting to sound like a good choice. should be able to step in next year and has high end #1 center written all over him. offensively and defensively.
I agree. Barkov is quickly becoming my No. 1 choice.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
kuggy

I don't think Drouin really need Mackinnon, Drouin is the sure pick!

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 04-25-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: embedded video
Old
04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

How long were the injuries? What kind of sample size are we talking here? And who filled in on the line?

Old
04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Mackinnon has been well hyped years before Drouin even came into play. Id counter with how much of Drouins play was based on Mackinnons. But someone on the prospect board pulled up each of their stats when one played without the other. Drouin had 10 goals and a few assists in about 10 or so games. Mackinnon had 6 goals and 5 or so assists in like 5 games. They look fairly competent without one another. Id say Mackinnon is the most sure fire pick out of the two. But Drouin could become the better sniper, which is his game.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:04 PM
kuggy

Drouin is the best player in the q by far this year, have you ever seen him play to doubt that he's producing because of Mackinnon?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:07 PM
kuggy

They made a poll with the gm in the Q and 13 out of 15 they would pick Drouin over Mackinnon and one of those fifteen didn't vote.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:08 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Im not doubting that about Drouin. I just think that Mackinnons game translates better to the NHL then Drouins. Havent seen either live, but have seen plenty of their play. If you read my post you will see I said they are fine without each other...

Old
04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuggy View Post
They made a poll with the gm in the Q and 13 out of 15 they would pick Drouin over Mackinnon and one of those fifteen didn't vote.
How many of those GMs already have a number one center to build around?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
I agree. Barkov is quickly becoming my No. 1 choice.
yepp.. really prefer to grab a center. legwand and fisher are starting to get on up there in age and wilson will stay at wing imo. never really have had a guy like mackinnon or barkov in our pipeline. ill be stoked with either. my bet is we go with barkov.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:33 PM
kuggy

Quote:
How many of those GMs already have a number one center to build around?
They were talking if they were a gm in the nhl not in there team.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:43 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Either way it doesnt really matter. They are both amazing prospects and really it comes down to team needs in this years top 3.

Closed Thread