HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hail to the Chiefs! - Blackhawks clinch Presidents' Trophy

Old
04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Excuses for what? Getting Hutton 1 game is meaningless in every possible way. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it doesn't HAVE to happen. Playing him or not playing him isn't going to make any difference. If hes playing in the playoffs, were done anyway.

And what looks so bad for Emery? He's injured but skated off the ice with zero help. People over react to injuries before knowing anything about them, just like when Toews got hurt against STL..our season was over when he went off, but he was back 10mins later.
I don't necessarily agree that we're done for sure if he has to play. Yeah it would be scary. but who knows - he's played some darn good games at Rockford. If he could get past the jitters (big if I know), then anything is possible. I'd also like to see him get the Calgary game on Friday.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:32 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Jussi Markkanen almost won a Cup on a far worse team. The Hawks are not done if Hutton or Karlsson have to play. It will be very difficult but you don't just give up on a season like this over anything.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:39 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Because it being dumb for the sake of being dumb. Look at Leblanc last night, brutal in the first, lost, then he found his way late. For a goalie, it is even worse.

Here is what I mean when I say I don't see things the way you do. Here is how I look at things.

Proposal: Start Hutton in one of the back to back games this weekend.

Pros
-Gives Crawford rest before playoffs
-Let's Hutton get his first NHL game in before the playoffs, helps work the nervousness out, especially if Emery isn't ready to go

Cons
-None

Answer: The only smart thing to do is to start Hutton one of these games. Doing otherwise would be counterproductive, aka dumb.
How is it dumb? It's irrelevant either way. Do you know what that word means? Getting Hutton a game won't significantly change anything if Chicago's forced to use him the playoffs. You make it sound like Chicago's doomed if they don't start him. Give everyone a break from your ridiculousness, please.

And no, for a goalie it's not worse. Goalies don't have to learn systems, don't have to keep up with faster players, don't have to make quicker decisions with the puck. The goalie just has to stop the puck. Not to mention, that was LeBlanc's first Pro game, Hutton's been playing in the AHL for a couple years now.

Quote:
Well, the playoffs are here now. I don't like the way he, or Sharp for that matter, are going into it. The only thing we can do these last two games and insure other guys are ready just in case.
You don't like how Sharp's going into the playoffs? He got tons of chances last night. He was around the puck all night. He's rusty, how that's surprising - or worrisome - is beyond me. Sharp will be fine. And Emery wasn't going to be the starter regardless. Yeah, it'd be nice it we knew he was 100% healthy going into the playoffs, but he's go at least a week and half to rest before Chicago may need him.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
BobbyJet

No doubt that any team who loses their starter in nets will likely be weaker, and may have to adjust their game somewhat to protect the replacement .... but that doesn't automatically eliminate said team.

(I donít think it is the case, but) worse case scenario, if Emery canít go and Crawford struggles or gets hurt, we donít have an NHL calibre goaltender to put in, in relief. There arenít very many teams in that category as most of the top teams have at least some depth back there, more than the Hawks anyway. Stan has been rolling the dice with our goaltending situation and continues to do so.
And if Emery is not on the bench once the PO's begin, donít dismiss the possibility that some NHL teams will intentionally run Crawford in their effort to win a series.

Hopefully all of the above is a moot point.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:53 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
How is it dumb? It's irrelevant either way. Do you know what that word means? Getting Hutton a game won't significantly change anything if Chicago's forced to use him the playoffs. You make it sound like Chicago's doomed if they don't start him. Give everyone a break from your ridiculousness, please.

And no, for a goalie it's not worse. Goalies don't have to learn systems, don't have to keep up with faster players, don't have to make quicker decisions with the puck. The goalie just has to stop the puck. Not to mention, that was LeBlanc's first Pro game, Hutton's been playing in the AHL for a couple years now.
Well, don't infer I am saying we are doomed if I didn't say that. I think my opinions are pretty clear. If something might help, and it definitely would, and there is no downside, you do it. In the end, playing in one of these games most likely will not make a difference because Crawford should be fine. Still, just punting an opportunity because of that is foolish, even just for the sake of not playing your starter back to back going into the playoffs. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you said, you know what coldsteel, that is a valid point and I agree, they should put him in for one of the games. It's NOT as big of a deal as you are making it to be. It just seems that way because people are actually arguing against it.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
No doubt that any team who loses their starter in nets will likely be weaker, and may have to adjust their game somewhat to protect the replacement .... but that doesn't automatically eliminate said team.

(I donít think it is the case, but) worse case scenario, if Emery canít go and Crawford struggles or gets hurt, we donít have an NHL calibre goaltender to put in, in relief. There arenít very many teams in that category as most of the top teams have at least some depth back there, more than the Hawks anyway. Stan has been rolling the dice with our goaltending situation and continues to do so.
And if Emery is not on the bench once the PO's begin, donít dismiss the possibility that some NHL teams will intentionally run Crawford in their effort to win a series.

Bobby, name me 5 teams, currently in the playoffs, that have an NHL calibre goaltender as their third-stringer. I can only think of two myself, in St.Louis with Allen and the Ducks with Andersson.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post

There aren't very many NHL teams that have three decent NHL goalies. Most don't even have two.

Even if Emery and Crawford get/stay injured from now through the rest of the playoffs, the Hawks' depth in goal this season was still as good as you could reasonably expect it to be.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:02 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Well, don't infer I am saying we are doomed if I didn't say that. I think my opinions are pretty clear. If something might help, and it definitely would, and there is no downside, you do it. In the end, playing in one of these games most likely will not make a difference because Crawford should be fine. Still, just punting an opportunity because of that is foolish, even just for the sake of not playing your starter back to back going into the playoffs. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you said, you know what coldsteel, that is a valid point and I agree, they should put him in for one of the games. It's NOT as big of a deal as you are making it to be. It just seems that way because people are actually arguing against it.
Oh, your right coldsteel. That's totally unfair to you, that I'd put words in your mouth like that. You didn't say the Hawks would be doomed, you said:

"How could you seriously put the team in a position where their goalie in the playoffs might be seeing his first NHL action? You can't, that is just shooting yourself in the foot"

And then went on to say not starting Hutton in 1 game would be running the organization(note, ridiculous emphasis; not team, organization) like a Milbury.

And you're right, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I wasn't disagreeing with you, as you fail to see again. You're ridiculousness is what I was responding to. You act like it's a big deal if Hutton doesn't start a game. It's not. It couldn't be less of a big deal. If he gets in, he gets in. If he doesn't, he doesn't. It makes no difference.

Perhaps, if you didn't have such anti-Hawks brass (Bowman) undertones in almost all your posts, posters could have simple conversations with you about starting or not starting your third-string goaltender. But you do have those undertones, and that's what I'm focusing on - because it's ridiculous.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:07 PM
coldsteelonice84

I just really don't like passing up the most logical thing to do for no apparent reason. It riles me up to see that. I am passionate about the Hawks. They don't have to do the things I want them to do but they can at least do the things that are obvious to everyone. And maybe they will. I know I keep saying that and they don't but you never know.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
I just really don't like passing up the most logical thing to do for no apparent reason. It riles me up to see that. I am passionate about the Hawks. They don't have to do the things I want them to do but they can at least do the things that are obvious to everyone. And maybe they will. I know I keep saying that and they don't but you never know.
Yes, because if there's one thing you've proven over the past couple years, is that you're the most logical, rational poster on this board.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:20 PM
coldsteelonice84

Whatever. I'm done with this.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:20 PM
TwistedWrister90

I could care less if Hutton gets to start a game or not, but I'm guessing he will. These last two games are meaningless, although it'd be nice to ruin the Blues' chances at home ice in the first round.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:26 PM
arsenalgooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
Remember 1991?

I was at all three games up at the Met Center. Worst sporting moment(s) of my life - as a fan.

Not saying that would/should/could happen again, but I wouldn't be too overconfident. I've still got the bruises to make me more cautious.
I do remember. I also know that the Hawks had a good W/L/T record against the North Stars that year too. That was one of the biggest upsets in the history of the NHL.

It would be the same this year. If the Hawks lose, it would be one of the biggest upsets. But, really, asking me if I remember 1991 is like asking the the 2010 Hawks if they remember the 1961 Hawks. Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other, except that the ending for both teams was the same- a cup victory.

But to say you don't want to play any of the four teams vying for the 8th seed when you're undefeated against them is a little too cautious.

arsenalgooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
TwistedWrister90

I'm not saying they should be taken lightly, but Detroit would be a good first round matchup for the Hawks. They play a similar style with a lot less depth, and they're not all that physical outside of a few players. Plus it'd be nice to beat them before they leave the division. I could see Howard stealing a game, but the Hawks should beat them in 5. They are the Red Wings though, so you can't take your foot off the gas pedal against them.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:54 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

No matter who the Hawks face in the first round, it will be a tough series. The first round seems to always be the toughest.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:31 PM
BobbyJet

Okay, first overall, is ours, which means Q should be finally resting as many players as possible and immediately. That's obvious (better late then never, I suppose). What's also obvious (to me) is that Pirri should play the last 2 games and likely Hutton should play one of them, if not both.

With Emery's health in question, what gets lost in all this is that Crawford will definitely get the nod to start the PO's and the job is his to lose. The chance of Q pulling him, whether it seems warranted or not, are slimmer than they already were. Hopefully CC can handle it this time, but essentially I reckon our fate in his hands. If it wasn't already.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

Didn't the Hawks take like 900 penalties in that North Stars series? I don't see the Hawks in the box to that extent this time around.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:39 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I would assume most of the team is going to play Friday, against Calgary, and then you'll see an infusion of young players and Carcillo, Mayers and Bollig for the St.Louis game.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:47 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I would assume most of the team is going to play Friday, against Calgary, and then you'll see an infusion of young players and Carcillo, Mayers and Bollig for the St.Louis game.
exactly what i hope happens. id play beach Saturday and set him loose on the blues

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:58 PM
RomersWorld*

If Kane gets 4 points tomorrow and is in reach of Art Rosd/Hart do you play him Saturday ?

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:19 PM
coldsteelonice84

Of course.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:34 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
Didn't the Hawks take like 900 penalties in that North Stars series? I don't see the Hawks in the box to that extent this time around.
I think it was more like 1200. They imploded.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Gurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalgooner View Post
I do remember. I also know that the Hawks had a good W/L/T record against the North Stars that year too. That was one of the biggest upsets in the history of the NHL.

It would be the same this year. If the Hawks lose, it would be one of the biggest upsets. But, really, asking me if I remember 1991 is like asking the the 2010 Hawks if they remember the 1961 Hawks. Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other, except that the ending for both teams was the same- a cup victory.

But to say you don't want to play any of the four teams vying for the 8th seed when you're undefeated against them is a little too cautious.

Of course I didn't say that last part.

I was simply responding to your point that the first round should be a formality.

Of course that series back in 91 has no bearing on this year, but it illustrates that no series is ever a formality in hockey. Just ask last year's Canucks.

Personally, I don't care who we play. If we deserve to win the Cup, we'll beat them.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Gurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post

Well we certainly got called for a lot, whether we took them or not.

That was back in the days when the officials were out to get us coz of Lysiak.

Got us the following year too with that call on the Lemieux dive in game 1.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:56 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Why bring up and start guys now?

If Hutton has to play getting him a game against the Flames won't really change what he does or doesn't do in the play-offs.

Been saying all along don't care when and if the Hawks wrap everything up you don't fix what isn't broken, you keep the lines and team together, you just go with a heavy rotation and limit minutes. If a guy has an injury or something he sits but I don't start sitting healthy players just because. Now suddenly they are off slightly because they missed a couple of games and they run into a team who has been scrapping all season and boom out in the first round.

Don't fix what isn't broke.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote