HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sven Baertschi- 7 game point streak

Old
04-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Hockeygirl95*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsv2 View Post
When he puts up those kind of numbers over a longer period of time, then it will be something to talk about. Right now he is having a good 9 game run on a team that is out of the playoff race.

I can name one good example of this exact thing happening with a player last season, Spencer Machacek.

He came up on March 18th last season and played in the Jets last 11 games. He had 9 points in those 11 games and was a +8.

This season in the AHL he played 75 games and had only 39 points and was a -21, he played bad enough that he was traded for Tomas Kubalik.

9 games doesnt mean anything, you cant make judgments off of 9 good games.

No reason to compare those players at this point:

Hockeygirl95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Steelerkev1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Baercheezy baby!
This is all I call the guy now, Johnny Superbman has ruined any chance I had of saying his name correctly.
Loads of potential, just hope he can live up to it.

Steelerkev1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:00 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsv2 View Post
When he puts up those kind of numbers over a longer period of time, then it will be something to talk about. Right now he is having a good 9 game run on a team that is out of the playoff race.

I can name one good example of this exact thing happening with a player last season, Spencer Machacek.

He came up on March 18th last season and played in the Jets last 11 games. He had 9 points in those 11 games and was a +8.

This season in the AHL he played 75 games and had only 39 points and was a -21, he played bad enough that he was traded for Tomas Kubalik.

9 games doesnt mean anything, you cant make judgments off of 9 good games.
Except the fact that Machacek is a 24 yr old 3rd round pick who hasn't produced great at any level, whereas Sven is a legitimate blue chip prospect who blew the doors off the dub and has done nothing but produce. But hey, you tell me who was/is more likely to be a flash in a pan.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:03 AM
sid49
#FreeGaza

vCash: 50
From an Oiler fan, the kids a beast, the Flames have a good one in him.

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:18 AM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

I've been watching him. He's the one trying to sabotage the Flame's draft position.

In all seriousness, it looks like the Flames have a good young player there. Hope he has a big year next year.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:48 AM
jetsv2

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl95 View Post
No reason to compare those players at this point:
My only point was that anybody can have a good run and 9 games doesnt mean very much, nobody should make any judgments on him until he proves that he can play at that level over an extended peroid of time.

jetsv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:03 AM
klozge
Avs

I watched him in the AHL during the lockout and he was impressive. I'm not even a bit surprised he's playing so well in the NHL, too. A very good player.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:03 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Production and skill sets are two different things.

Both players skill sets are the same, it's doubtfull Baertsschi is going to get 76 points in his 2nd season with the Flames with the centers they have but his skillset is on par with Eberle.

Flames would be very smart to draft at least 2 centers with their 3 first rounders IMO.
Smartest thing to do is build from your blue-line out. Look at how it's cost the Oilers not having a solid blue-liner in the system other than Petry in the last 7-8 years. Even though they just picked Klefbom it's going to be another 2-3 years before he's a top-4 defenseman. By then our forwards will be on their 2nd contracts and signing someone like Klefbom to a long-term deal will be harder.

If they're looking at a 5th-8th pick - I'd for sure pick Darnell Nurse.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:20 AM
NuxFan09

I really do like the fact that Calgary is finally starting to build their team with home grown talent. As guys like Backlund, Baertschi, Brodie and Reinhart progress, Flames brass will realize it's much better than bring in the Jokinen's the Hudler's the Stempniak's the Comeau's etc.

On topic: good for Baertschi. It's good that he's ending the season strong and bodes well for next season and beyond.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Hale The Villain

Special talent.

He's going to be Datsyuk, except on the wing and without the elite defensive game.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:32 AM
Nuck Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Special talent.

He's going to be Datsyuk, except on the wing and without the elite defensive game.
So an Eberle?

Nuck Bonino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
So an Eberle?
Better.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:07 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I really do like the fact that Calgary is finally starting to build their team with home grown talent. As guys like Backlund, Baertschi, Brodie and Reinhart progress, Flames brass will realize it's much better than bring in the Jokinen's the Hudler's the Stempniak's the Comeau's etc.
I agree it's good the Flames have more home grown players playing, but every team needs to supplement home grown players with free agent and trade additions.

I get the Jokinen mention since a first round pick and a young-ish player was moved for him first time around.

But Hudler was a UFA and every team needs to sign some UFAs. It's not like the Flames had any prospects that could fill the role he has.

Stempniak was a brilliant trade acquisition that any team would love since he was swapped straight up for a 25 year old Langkow that was coming back form a broken neck and who had more than double the cap hit.

Comeau was a waiver pick-up of a younger player that many believed needed a change of scenery that cost the team nothing. He also brought things to the team that none of the NHL ready prospects were able to do.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:55 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I agree it's good the Flames have more home grown players playing, but every team needs to supplement home grown players with free agent and trade additions.

I get the Jokinen mention since a first round pick and a young-ish player was moved for him first time around.

But Hudler was a UFA and every team needs to sign some UFAs. It's not like the Flames had any prospects that could fill the role he has.

Stempniak was a brilliant trade acquisition that any team would love since he was swapped straight up for a 25 year old Langkow that was coming back form a broken neck and who had more than double the cap hit.

Comeau was a waiver pick-up of a younger player that many believed needed a change of scenery that cost the team nothing. He also brought things to the team that none of the NHL ready prospects were able to do.
The Flames have been doing a lot of those little things right when it comes to acquiring depth and all that, the biggest thing we're missing is homegrown talent that can make an impact, that young early 20s group of players that can impact a game.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote