HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Russia Roster Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 11:54 PM
  #126
Namba 17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Nikulin has been great on PP throughout his career.
Objection, your honor! He was decent, yes, but never was great. Comparing to others leading offensive D from other teams he is not the man we need. His strength is universalism, but not offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Others on Fulcrum's list have experience on PP as well.
Yes, even Emelin has But experience is not what we need - we need goals in PP, and so far Markov is the best option we have - Nikulin is not even close, and Nikulin is best in KHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
They could also use a forward at the point (both Malkin and Kovalchuk have been used there by their clubs).
Kovi is shooter, not playmaker (he improved, but not became maker) and Malkin will be used anyway, but as forvard (hold him on blue line is little too much, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
No to Gonchar, he is mediocre at even-strength.
Yes, I might agree on Gonchar - I doubt Bill will include him, but I'd take a risk and take him to play in PP only - our D sucks in PP so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
BTW, Semin is playing well so far. Don't forget about him. He has been very good for NT in the past.
He is in my team

Namba 17 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:46 AM
  #127
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
Markov has to be a must now. He is playing great and should be at least the primary PP quarterback. Even if he's not playing much ES.

The above blueline is too soft. Needs Emelin, Tyutin for some grit. Ryasensky maybe.

Fantomas is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:37 AM
  #128
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
I would say Nikulin has been more then just "decent" on PP.

The most interesting battle for roster spots will probably be for the #3 and #4 Centers.

The choices are probably Anisimov, Tereschenko, Schipachyov, Tikhonov, Svitov and possibly Burmistrov (if he makes significant improvements).

- Tereschenko's experience with the NT is a big plus. I think he was on all 3 of the WHC gold medal teams and has played very well in every tournament. He isn't a great scorer, but he is very responsible in his own zone and has enough offensive skills to play with scoring wingers. I would say he is the top choice.

- Anisimov often shows flashes of excellent skills, but has been very inconsistant so far in his career. He has all the tools to be a very good Center, but hasn't put it together yet. Still, he should be considered. His game could compliment a line with 2 good wingers.

- Schipachyov is a skilled offensive Center, but average in defensive zone. With the offensive talent that Russia should have at Wing positions, I'm not sure he is needed. He might be a decent choice as an extra forward, as he could provide versatility.

- Svitov is the best defensive forward and the worst offensive forward on this list. People might view his stats at last year's WHC and assume he had a terrible tournament. Also some might remember all the missed 1-on-1s golden opportunities, but what I remember is his line pretty much keeping the puck at opponent's side of the ice every time. Svitov's hustle, physical play was excellent at that tournament and I'm sure Bilya has noticed. I'm not sure he is my top choice, but again he might be a decent choice as an extra forward.

- Tikhonov is a decent all-around player. He is "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of a player. His biggest case for this team might be chemistry with Kovalchuk and Tarasenko.

Burmistrov and other talented young Centers (Grigorenko, Khokhlachev, Namestnikov, Telegin, etc.) aren't ready and probably won't be in time for the tournament.


Last edited by MaxV: 02-12-2013 at 09:52 AM.
MaxV is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 04:10 AM
  #129
Alivesi
Registered User
 
Alivesi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Any changes in peoples thoughts for goal tending? Bobrovsky or Vasilevski?

Alivesi is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
  #130
boris4c
Registered User
 
boris4c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
Any changes in peoples thoughts for goal tending? Bobrovsky or Vasilevski?
Vasilevski isn't even close to this team.

Bobrovski should be the starting goaltender (but that's my opinion). The others should be Varlamov and Khudobin/Barulin.

boris4c is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 01:52 AM
  #131
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
Any changes in peoples thoughts for goal tending? Bobrovsky or Vasilevski?
With all due respect Vasilevski is a greenhorn. 2018 is his year if he continues to develop. And he'll have to beat out Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Makarov, Khudobin and even a couple of guys you probably haven't heard of. A tough task.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:06 AM
  #132
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I would say Nikulin has been more then just "decent" on PP.

The most interesting battle for roster spots will probably be for the #3 and #4 Centers.

The choices are probably Anisimov, Tereschenko, Schipachyov, Tikhonov, Svitov and possibly Burmistrov (if he makes significant improvements).

- Tereschenko's experience with the NT is a big plus. I think he was on all 3 of the WHC gold medal teams and has played very well in every tournament. He isn't a great scorer, but he is very responsible in his own zone and has enough offensive skills to play with scoring wingers. I would say he is the top choice.

- Anisimov often shows flashes of excellent skills, but has been very inconsistant so far in his career. He has all the tools to be a very good Center, but hasn't put it together yet. Still, he should be considered. His game could compliment a line with 2 good wingers.

- Schipachyov is a skilled offensive Center, but average in defensive zone. With the offensive talent that Russia should have at Wing positions, I'm not sure he is needed. He might be a decent choice as an extra forward, as he could provide versatility.

- Svitov is the best defensive forward and the worst offensive forward on this list. People might view his stats at last year's WHC and assume he had a terrible tournament. Also some might remember all the missed 1-on-1s golden opportunities, but what I remember is his line pretty much keeping the puck at opponent's side of the ice every time. Svitov's hustle, physical play was excellent at that tournament and I'm sure Bilya has noticed. I'm not sure he is my top choice, but again he might be a decent choice as an extra forward.

- Tikhonov is a decent all-around player. He is "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of a player. His biggest case for this team might be chemistry with Kovalchuk and Tarasenko.

Burmistrov and other talented young Centers (Grigorenko, Khokhlachev, Namestnikov, Telegin, etc.) aren't ready and probably won't be in time for the tournament.
All the discussion about Nikulin stands and falls with the rink size. That's what most ppl forget. He has no real experience on the small rinks. On the big rinks he's the man. And he's a PP machine too.

Also there will be no discussion about 4th and 3rd line centers with Bill. His 3rd and 4th lines are different worlds. There will be a competition for the 3d line center spot. And my humple opinion is we shoud go with 5 centers because of the lack of depth at center. We then could have specialists like Tereschenko(not the big scorer indeed. But he has that karma to score in every big game. He needs to be there even if it is as a charm ) for the PK or faceoffs like Svitov and rotate them to keep them fresh. Also a guy like Shipachyov can make a very good winger as seen during the Channel One Cup. True that.

The 4th line center role should go without contention to Anisimov, but injuries are part of the business, right? You underestimate Anisimov, bacause you try to push him into that skilled-player-big-scorer role.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:18 AM
  #133
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
Great post I really do hope Emelin makes it, he is a great big ice player and shows a lot passion in playing for his country.

Really wanted Artyukhin on the team because he has such a huge and intimidating presence, if only Bil could tame this lion - rough around the edges.
Artyukhin is a totally brainless piece of nothing on the ice. Stupid penalties, *** up plays, useless grit at the wrong place and at the wrong time. His "intimidating" presence is only good for some youtube junkies who like to watch fights. He'd let his team shorthanded every time we need it the least.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:21 AM
  #134
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23* View Post
My Russian 2014 Winter Olympics (Gold Medal Roster)


Kovalchuk - Tereshchenko - Radulov
Popov - Malkin - Mozyakin
Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin
Kuznetsov - Shipachyov - Tarasenko
Artyukhin


Markov - Kalinin
Nikulin - Medvedev
Volchenkov - Emelin


Varlamov
Bryzgalov/Barulin
Not sure if serious. Half the guys won't be there.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:30 AM
  #135
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Ye - don't forget Zubov and Yushkevich..


But seriously, Nikulin and Medvedev are almost locks. Excellent big ice defenders. Belov too.

this is how I see it:

Medvedev-Nikulin
Biryukov-Belov
Kulikov-Voynov

MAYBE:
Orlov - if Caps give him playing time after injury, he has some awesome offensive and PP potential, he has a lot to prove too
Emelin (he looked good last WC, but I agree that he is a better on big ice)
Tyutin (There are simply better defenders/puck movers than him)
Markov (has a lot to prove, A LOT)
Gonchar (old and slow, on big ice? mmm I dont think so)
Volchenkov (His grit is gone, I don't like what he brings to the team especially when it comes to puck movement, I don't think Bilyaletdinov does either)
Nikitin (same as Tyutin)

Time will tell.

For those who are basing their opinion about Russian defense on Gonchars and Markovs - your information is very outdated.
Oh, Yushkevich is a lock anyway As well as Nikitin. Igor Nikitin that is.

P.S. Something's foul in the state of Denmark. I still don't like what Oates is doing in WSH. Orlov is doing the Loktionov in LA right now. A great and NHL ready player stuck in the AHL for nothing.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
  #136
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 500
So who does everyone think will be in net for Russia in Socchi?

With the season, he's having I gotta think it's Bobrovsky at the moment, even if he is not very experienced. Other candidates are Varlamov who was the favorite at the begining of the season, Nabokov who is the elder statesman and has played well enough to put the Islanders in playoff position with a suspect group of Defensemen, Bryzgalov who has really struggled but was considered the top Russian goalie a year ago.

Should be an interesting decision. I don't know which one ends up taking it.

WarriorofTime is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 03:25 PM
  #137
russianhockey
Registered User
 
russianhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,157
vCash: 500
All candidates for the upcoming winter olympics will be invited to a camp this august in sochi (from august 23.-28.).

on the 29. august there will be also occur a match (in sochi) against sweden, which will be a part of the next kajobet hockey games (euro hockey tour 2013/2014).


Last edited by russianhockey: 04-11-2013 at 03:33 PM.
russianhockey is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 04:03 PM
  #138
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
So who does everyone think will be in net for Russia in Socchi?

With the season, he's having I gotta think it's Bobrovsky at the moment, even if he is not very experienced. Other candidates are Varlamov who was the favorite at the begining of the season, Nabokov who is the elder statesman and has played well enough to put the Islanders in playoff position with a suspect group of Defensemen, Bryzgalov who has really struggled but was considered the top Russian goalie a year ago.

Should be an interesting decision. I don't know which one ends up taking it.
Barulin is pretty good in KHL also.

Right now I would go with:

1. Bobrovskiy
2. Barulin
3. Varlamov


But that could change.

MaxV is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 11:15 AM
  #139
WhiteMandingo
Registered User
 
WhiteMandingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Ovechkin Malkin Semin
Kovalchuk Datsyuk Yakupov
Tarasenko Anisimov Radulov
Kulemin Burmistrov Kuznetsov


Kulikov Markov
Tyutin Gonchar
Volchenkov Emelin


Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Khudobin

You can obviously tell I don't follow hockey in Russia. I just listed who I would take based on watching NHL and junior.


Last edited by WhiteMandingo: 04-25-2013 at 04:20 PM.
WhiteMandingo is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
  #140
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk doesn't play for Russia.

MaxV is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 04:03 AM
  #141
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
Ovechkin Malkin Semin
Kovalchuk Datsyuk Yakupov
Tarasenko Anisimov Radulov
Kulemin Burmistrov Kuznetsov


Kulikov Markov
Tyutin Gonchar
Volchenkov Emelin


Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Khudobin

You can obviously tell I don't follow hockey in Russia. I just listed who I would take based on watching NHL and junior.
In case you are interested I have Bolded the players who I believe are unlikely to make the team for 2014. A few of them are 50/50 such as Markov.

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 04:11 AM
  #142
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
In case you are interested I have Bolded the players who I believe are unlikely to make the team for 2014. A few of them are 50/50 such as Markov.
I think Kulemin is also 50/50 at best.

Fulcrum is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 04:28 AM
  #143
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I think Kulemin is also 50/50 at best.
I was frozen on his name for about 5 minutes undecided whether to bold him or not , it is possible, but maybe 65/35 as Bill is likely to stick with him, next season will tell a lot, this season is only a small indicator. Yakupov could turn into a superstar next season for all we know Only thing I am confident of is that we won't see many defensemen from the NHL (Probably only Voynov, Kulikov, Emelin, maybe Markov).

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 08:43 AM
  #144
WhiteMandingo
Registered User
 
WhiteMandingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
I understand why you bolded Burmistrov Gonchar and Volchenkov but why wouldn't Yakupov or Tyutin make the team? And at this point I would rather have Khudobin over Nabokov or Bryzgalov but I dont really know a whole lot about any KHL goalies who might make the team.

WhiteMandingo is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:17 PM
  #145
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
I understand why you bolded Burmistrov Gonchar and Volchenkov but why wouldn't Yakupov or Tyutin make the team? And at this point I would rather have Khudobin over Nabokov or Bryzgalov but I dont really know a whole lot about any KHL goalies who might make the team.
Tyutin has little chances because of his puck moving game and Nikulin and Medvedev are superior players (Locks). Then we have Belov and Biryukov knocking on the door and ahead of Tyutin.

In net we are likely to see Varlamov, Barulin, Bobrovsky. A lot can change over the next 9 months though.

In regards to Yakupov, I have defended him a lot in the past, think he will be an elite scorer but the 2014 Olympics may come too soon for him, he really needs to dominate next season as Bill will have a lot of role players in the team. Just think the Olympics may come too soon for him as he is still an irresponsible player (Due to experience). Then again he could out of no where explode next season in the NHL but right now as of this moment he would not make the team.

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 01:55 AM
  #146
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,501
vCash: 500
Yakupov was on a pro-rated goal pace of 30+ as a rookie in the NHL and played much of the season on the Oilers third line.

If Russia is actually interested in icing the best possible roster, he's on the team IMO. There aren't 12 better Russian forwards better than him.

Soundwave is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 05:48 PM
  #147
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
There aren't 12 better Russian forwards better than him.
Ovechkin
Malkin
Syomin
Kovalchuk
Datsyuk
Radulov
Mozyakin
Popov
Tereshhenko
Anisimov
Kulyomin
Loktionov (At the moment I prefer the game he can offer for Russia more than Yakupov, people here know I am a huge fan of Loktionov's game and it appears Bill can see what he offers too)

Yakupov needs a big season next year, his game is still far too raw for the system Bill is implementing. He will definitely become a superstar but the Olympics are too early for him at this stage. He can not crack the World Championships side at the moment and people are talking about him being good enough for the Olympics.. I want/hope Yakupov surprises everyone and is dominant next season in the NHL, the more Russians in the mix for the Olympic squad the better.

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
05-04-2013, 06:01 PM
  #148
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps
 
SashaSemin28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Velikobritaniya
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
On the goalie situation, I feel it should be Yeryomenko, Barulin and one of Varlamov/Bobrovsky

SashaSemin28 is online now  
Old
05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
  #149
Paxton Fettel
Registered User
 
Paxton Fettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,194
vCash: 500
I would feel comfortable with either Bobrovsky or Varlamov in net. IMO it wouldn't be a good idea to play a KHL goaltender who has never faced all the opponents who are in the NHL.

Paxton Fettel is offline  
Old
05-05-2013, 10:48 AM
  #150
kmart
Registered User
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kmart
why is markov 50/50? is he that bad these days ?

kmart is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.