HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 11:44 PM
AaronEkbald

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Wow, it would be a travesty if Huberdeau won this award.

Watching the Leafs/Panthers basically shows why he doesn't deserve it. He just turned the puck over 4 times in one shift, getting thrown around and off the puck with basically no effort at all. Maybe he will get a point when the game is out of reach to help his point totals.

He offers nothing to help his team win except if he gets enough space, or the defense/goalie falls asleep and he can work his magic offensively. Luckily for him he plays in the worst division in hockey so he caught them napping a decent amount of times. Still, he isn't as good of a player as Gallagher or Saad so he shouldn't win the award. There is a reason Gallagher and Saad each were voted rookie of the year of their respective conferences via the coaches poll. But what do the coaches know anyways...Huberdeau has 2 more points afterall.
Think Saad or Gallagher could do better in Huberdeau's position?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:46 PM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Think Saad or Gallagher could do better in Huberdeau's position?
As a Habs fan that loves Gallagher.. he would definitely not be able to do what Hubes has done. Huberdeau playing on the Habs would probably have ~35 points if he got regular power play time.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:51 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
They would ALL trade their guy for Huberdeau IMO.

Huberdeau has the highest ceiling, and it ain't even close.

Conacher is a shrimp, as is Gallagher. and Saad is good, But they are all older than Huberdeau, and all have better teammates to inflate their stats.

Coyle and Brodin are the only Wild guys I wouldn't trade for Huberdeau.

I do believe Brodin deserves it though. Incredible performance from a 19 year old.
I disagree. Saad has a higher ceiling than Huberdeau IMO. Hawks wouldn't make that trade, no way.

1. Saad has a way better contract. Every dollar counts with the high spending teams against the cap and Saad makes 2+ mil less than Huberdeau for the next 2 seasons.

2. Saad is a better player. Huberdeau might be equal to Saad offensively(it is arguable), but Saad is clearly the better overall player IMO. He is far superior defensively and shows way more hustle/heart than Huberdeau does on the ice. Huberdeau floats much too often, turns the puck over with regularity, is soft in the corners and along the boards, and he doesn't play on the PK.

The Hawks IMO would keep Saad and have no regrets.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahnaMahna View Post
As a Habs fan that loves Gallagher.. he would definitely not be able to do what Hubes has done. Huberdeau playing on the Habs would probably have ~35 points if he got regular power play time.
You think Huberdeau would get PP time over Desharnais on MTL?

Old
04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
If this award has any credibility Brodin should win this rather easily. Sadly this won't be the case but maybe it's a good thing for Wild fans. He won't have the Calder when negotiating next contract...
Of course he should win easily with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahnaMahna View Post
Are you kidding? Gallagher has been nothing short of terrific and he owes his success to his style of play. He plays with a team that isn't big and can't back him up. He goes to the dirty areas and wins puck battles against guys 50-60lbs heavier and sometimes half a foot taller than he is. He crashes the net, he forechecks like a monster and is a real black hole for opponents aggression. Gallagher would have done that anywhere. That style of play is what made him successful, not his teammates. Huberdeau would have gotten around the same amount of points playing on MTL's 3rd line. 25-30.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
I disagree. Saad has a higher ceiling than Huberdeau IMO. Hawks wouldn't make that trade, no way.

1. Saad has a way better contract. Every dollar counts with the high spending teams against the cap and Saad makes 2+ mil less than Huberdeau for the next 2 seasons.

2. Saad is a better player. Huberdeau might be equal to Saad offensively(it is arguable), but Saad is clearly the better overall player IMO. He is far superior defensively and shows way more hustle/heart than Huberdeau does on the ice. Huberdeau floats much too often, turns the puck over with regularity, is soft in the corners and along the boards, and he doesn't play on the PK.

Lets see if anyone who isn't a Blackhawks fans agrees with you. I highly doubt it.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:55 AM
AaronEkbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Of course he should win easily with that.

Are you kidding? Gallagher has been nothing short of terrific and he owes his success to his style of play. He plays with a team that isn't big and can't back him up. He goes to the dirty areas and wins puck battles against guys 50-60lbs heavier and sometimes half a foot taller than he is. He crashes the net, he forechecks like a monster and is a real black hole for opponents aggression. Gallagher would have done that anywhere. That style of play is what made him successful, not his teammates. Huberdeau would have gotten around the same amount of points playing on MTL's 3rd line. 25-30.
What makes you think this? Majority of people on this site would agree he's got more than skill/ offensive upside than Gallagher. So why would he see his production stay stagnant with Gallagher's linemates? IMO, Gallagher or anyone matter of fact would stop scoring as much with the line mates Huberdeau has played with all season.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:27 AM
NoNecksCurse

gallagher, huberdau, saad, brodin, galchenyuk all seem like good choices

Old
04-26-2013, 03:19 AM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
yup. here pumping my own players tires but Yakupov is only 2 pts away from rookie scoring lead. Not to mention he has been playing with players like Belanger and Smyth for most part of the season until recently where his linemates have been Paajarvi and Horcoff/Gagner. Not to say huberdeau is amazing either
I don't even need to visit behindthenet to know that's a straight up lie.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:05 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Callagher probably wins it. Huberdeau has been really inconsistent and doesn't help his team in other areas if he isn't scoring.
In the last thirty years, the Calder has only gone to a forward who didn't win the scoring race twice. One of those forwards had a better PPG than the scoring leader, the other led all rookies in goals;
  • Pavel Bure (34 goals and 26 assists in 65 games) ahead of Tony Amonte (35 goals and 34 assists in 79 games)
  • Chris Drury (20 goals and 24 assists) ahead of Milan Hejduk (14 goals and 34 assists)

Unless Gallagher gets another goal, I still think Huberdeau wins the Calder. It's really close between the top candidates, though.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:08 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#character

vCash: 1000
They're tied right now, and if Panthers look anything like last night in the final game, they won't score even if it's an open net.

Anyways, the two main points IMO are:

A) Callagher plays for hockey mecca Montreal. Huberdeau plays where..? Oh, Florida. That's, great. I guess.. Beaches and stuff..

and B) Callagher has those same points with a playing style that helps his team a lot more. Huberdeau really doesn't do anything else if he isn't scoring.

I rest my case.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:15 AM
BackhandToeyJoey

Lol @ Saad. He wouldn't have even gotten close to the top of the scoring race had he not been on the Chicago roster. Brodin, Conacher, and Huberdeau are the finalists - with Huberdeau winning.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:

Luckily for all Hawks fans, you are not their GM

Old
04-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandToeyJoey View Post
Lol @ Saad. He wouldn't have even gotten close to the top of the scoring race had he not been on the Chicago roster. Brodin, Conacher, and Huberdeau are the finalists - with Huberdeau winning.
What I find funny about this "look at Saad's linemates" talk is that it completely disregards the fact that Saad a) was able to make a team as deep as the Hawks out of camp b) worked his way up the lineup to the top line in short order c) never missed a beat playing with two great players, and d) earned enough trust from his coach to be trusted on the PK and in defensive situations. It is arguable if any other player in the calder discussion would have even made the Hawks, let alone have the impact Saad is having. So every time you knock Saad for playing with great players, you have to realize that the fact he was even in a position to play with them in the first place is pretty impressive.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Luckily for all Hawks fans, you are not their GM
While I am in no way saying that Saad is definitely better than Huberdeau, there is no way the Hawks make that trade. Hawks brass is absolutely in love with Saad, and rightfully so. BTW I am in no way saying that Florida would make this trade either.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Dharvey33

It's a shame that Therrien didn't play galchenyuk more because in the last month along with Saad and Brodin he has been the best rookie out there. He has 26 points playing 12 minutes per game and close no pp time at all. Gallagher has been getting regular pp time because of the line he is playing with.

See the habs are not a merit team it will always be the vets that comes first even if they suck, wich they have in the last game. The Eller-galchenyuk duo has been one of the few bright spots in this horrible stretch. And they have played pretty much all the time with Bouillon and Drewiskie-Gorges as a defensive pair aka no offensive input at all.

If galchenyuk was playing 15 minutes a night and 2 pp wave which he deserves since half march he would be 1st in points right now.

I love Gallagher and the way he goes in the dirty areas but you can see that galchenyuk will be on another level, his execution speed is crazy real close to elite. I've not seen such a skills set in mtl in a long time.
He will be like Stamkos not winning the calder but be an elite players for years in the nhl.

Last edited by Dharvey33: 04-26-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old
04-26-2013, 08:03 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:

Solid assessment.

NHL.com
Quote:
Playing on one of the League's top lines for the playoff-bound Blackhawks has aided Saad's plus-minus rating. Still, he's proven to be physical and fearless, notching 30-plus hits, 10-plus blocks and 23-plus takeaways in just over 16 minutes of ice time each game.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:

By far the most idiotic, bias filled post I've ever seen. Saad is definitely not a better player, nor does he have a higher upside, only a blind homer would think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
While I am in no way saying that Saad is definitely better than Huberdeau, there is no way the Hawks make that trade. Hawks brass is absolutely in love with Saad, and rightfully so. BTW I am in no way saying that Florida would make this trade either.
So because they're in love with him they wouldn't trade him for a better player with far higher potential, who can play a position the Hawks need? That's something the Oilers would do.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:10 AM
hockeyfan2k11

I'd have no issue with Gallagher or Huberdeau. I will say...Gallagher has been very impressive...with a concussion to boot.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
So because they're in love with him they wouldn't trade him for a better player with far higher potential, who can play a position the Hawks need? That's something the Oilers would do.
The bolded is debatable. Again, people seem to just completely dismiss how hard it is for a 20 year old rookie to work his way up to the top line of the best team in the league and play an excellent 2-way game.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Hell yeah - It's a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe the Eastern Conference is soft, but 5'8" 174? Sorry, that's wee. Huberdeau has the chance to grow into 6'1" 190 something. I like his chances.
St Louis did alright, no?

Old
04-26-2013, 10:56 AM
sharks9

This is who each rookie forward plays with most of the time according to http://www.leftwinglock.com/

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Brendan Gallagher
Brandon Prust - Lars Eller - Alex Galchenyuk
Peter Mueller - Jonathan Huberdeau - Drew Shore
Brandon Saad - Jonathan Toews - Marian Hossa
Ales Hemsky - Sam Gagner - Nail Yakupov
Teddy Purcell - Cory Conacher - Steven Stamkos

Old
04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
By far the most idiotic, bias filled post I've ever seen. Saad is definitely not a better player, nor does he have a higher upside, only a blind homer would think otherwise.

For a better player, maybe. Not for Huberdeau.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
bdawg1989*

Gallagher's got this.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The only guarantee in such a tight race is that there'll be at least 1 angry fanbase when the nominees are announced and at least 2 angry fanbases when the winner is announced.

IMO the nominees are Gallagher, Saad and Huberdeau. Conacher, Galchenyuk and Yakupov just haven't had their names in the conversation consistently enough, and Brodin has the misfortune of playing an unglamorous position on a team that doesn't get much media attention.

As far as who wins it...I have no earthly idea.

Closed Thread