HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sean Couturier

Old
04-25-2013, 10:11 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
I just worry if we keep drafting centers we're going to become Edmonton

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:19 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I just worry if we keep drafting centers we're going to become Edmonton
If there are two players that are really close I wouldn't mind taking the defender over the forward. Just don't reach on players like Andy Reid did. Thats how you get your team in trouble

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
If we aren't trading up to get Jones, I would rather just take best player available regardless of position and then fill our holes through FA, minor trades, and/or promotions from within the organization.
Free agency is a thing of the past. Barely any good, prime aged players make it that far. Also, our organizational depth is weak. I just wanted to point that out. I'm not against just taking the best player available at all.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Why not trade Laughton? Why not try him on the wing? If Bryz is indeed coming back next year, there is no goalie situation to resolve, which leaves the D. You need three of those, one established nhler, one nhl ready prospect, and one blue chip pick. Nurse could fill the pick requirement. Trade laughton for gormley. Pick up a player like Ballard after he's bought out, or try another offer sheet for a RFA.

Done.
I would be open to trading Laughton. I've said all along that I think someone is going to get dealt, not LET'S TRADE COUTURIER!. I would love to keep Couturier and trade Laughton, but I don't think Laughton holds the value needed to get the guy that makes doing a deal like this worth it at this point in time. And I keep saying this people seem to be missing it...I am not saying that Couturier is not worth it or that we should trade him just to trade him. All I'm saying is that there is a logjam at center, and if he can be traded to improve this team's defensive crop, I would do it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Canuck fan...

I think you should assume Laughton won't be ready next season. Couturier is 20 heading into next season and can't really complain about the minutes he gets. They should spend the year figuring out what they have in he and Schenn. Both are valid trade candidates (as is Laughton) Whoever does not fit can be traded the following season. No rush. Their value is only going to increase.
That's fine. I think you can pencil him in on this team if Couturier is not there, but assume he isn't. Even if Laughton isn't ready, then sign a capable 3C (which is why I have been saying "or whomever replaces Couturier" after I slate Laughton at 3C).

And just so I am clear (because I really don't think people are understanding what I am saying)...I don't think that whomever takes over for Couturier in the event of a trade (Laughton/UFA) is going to do better that Couturier or even as good as Couturier. What I am saying is that I would take a downgrade at one position (Center) for an upgrade at another position (defense). Center is a position of strength and depth on this team. Defense is a position of weakness that lacks depth.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's fine. I think you can pencil him in on this team if Couturier is not there, but assume he isn't. Even if Laughton isn't ready, then sign a capable 3C (which is why I have been saying "or whomever replaces Couturier" after I slate Laughton at 3C).

And just so I am clear (because I really don't think people are understanding what I am saying)...I don't think that whomever takes over for Couturier in the event of a trade (Laughton/UFA) is going to do better that Couturier or even as good as Couturier. What I am saying is that I would take a downgrade at one position (Center) for an upgrade at another position (defense). Center is a position of strength and depth on this team. Defense is a position of weakness that lacks depth.
The problem, I think, is that there's no defenseman that we can realistically get for Couturier who isn't likely to leave us saying "what-were-they-thinking" five years from now. You can't get a #1 for him--and a guy with a 2/3 ceiling could easily end up being disappointing, relative to what many of us expect Couturier to become.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
The problem, I think, is that there's no defenseman that we can realistically get for Couturier who isn't likely to leave us saying "what-were-they-thinking" five years from now. You can't get a #1 for him--and a guy with a 2/3 ceiling could easily end up being disappointing, relative to what many of us expect Couturier to become.
And that's fine and very well may be the case. Which is why I am not campaigning to trade him just to trade him.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM

I don't see why skating can't be improved. It's just technique. An intensive summer of work and he can come back with it all turned around.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I don't see why skating can't be improved. It's just technique. An intensive summer of work and he can come back with it all turned around.
It can be improved, but it doesn't mean it will. Poor skating is something that will definitely hold most players, especially forwards, back.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Curufinwe

True, but there are Hall of Famers who were never great skaters, e.g. Ron Francis.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote