HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not finishing strong

Old
04-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Doshell Propivo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
This was incredibly frustrating. I can't believe the roster changes made by the coaching staff for tonight's game. They set the tone at the top and sitting nabby combined with putting carkner and boulton in tonight's lineup showed the team how complacent they were with just making it to the playoffs this season. They just wanted to make it out of Philly alive and it showed.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Not finishing strong? Everyone's already pointed out how strong we've played and regardless of phillys spot in the division their team does have talent, playing last home and against a divisional opponent. They weren't going to win every single game hell the hawks/penguins have lost their fair share.

This team goes 48-0 scoring 8 goals a game they'd still catch flack on here.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
This was incredibly frustrating. I can't believe the roster changes made by the coaching staff for tonight's game. They set the tone at the top and sitting nabby combined with putting carkner and boulton in tonight's lineup showed the team how complacent they were with just making it to the playoffs this season. They just wanted to make it out of Philly alive and it showed.
In the midst to close out the season and prepare for the playoffs which are clinched there's absolutely nothing wrong with giving the guys a second to catch their breath.

They've pretty much have been playing a playoff game every night now for a few weeks nabby has started every single game pretty much you don't think any of them were gassed physically and emotionally?

How do we know hickey isn't banged up or Joensuu is sore from the earlier injury and needed a day off to recoup.

It's not being complacent on just making the post season to rest a few guys.. Just putting more gas in the engines instead of letting it run dry and trying to make noise next week.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:12 AM
lorwood

My only concern is that IMHO this team has neither the talent or experience to just turn it back on during game one of the playoffs which, as a reminder, will be on the road.

With that said, as far as I am concerned, the Islanders are playing with house money from here on out.

(But if they don't manage to win a few games in the playoffs this run will be considered a fluke not a turning point)

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
while Toronto, Ottawa and the Rags all found a way to get it done tonight.
Toronto lost to Tampa on Wednesday. Ottawa lost 4 in a row a couple weeks back.... Florida, Tampa and Buffalo were three of those teams. The Rangers lost to Florida a couple nights ago..... and also lost to Philly last week.

Quote:
After the thrilling run this team had been on, it is a shame that complacency will cost them in the end, when we had a chance to be 5th or 6th in the conference.
After the thrilling run this team had been on, it is a shame a handful of "fans" are writing them off after the first regulation loss in over a month..... when with a win tonight would likely solidify the 7 seed and possibly the 6th anyway.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Fantom

yes we did not play Great the last two games. However two games does not Equate to falling apart.
Maybe we have our Chicken little Award winner.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:06 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Toronto lost to Tampa on Wednesday. Ottawa lost 4 in a row a couple weeks back.... Florida, Tampa and Buffalo were three of those teams. The Rangers lost to Florida a couple nights ago..... and also lost to Philly last week.

After the thrilling run this team had been on, it is a shame a handful of "fans" are writing them off after the first regulation loss in over a month..... when with a win tonight would likely solidify the 7 seed and possibly the 6th anyway.
if NYR wins, Ottawa wins one of two left...we're 8th. Pittsburg.

Sixth comes when NYR loses or OTL's, Ottawa loses both or OTL's one and loses the other. Oh, and Brad Boyes scored six goals and Aucoin wins a fight against Steve Ott. Ain't happening in other words.

We had to rest Poulin, but it cost us an easier playoff matchup.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
My only concern is that IMHO this team has neither the talent or experience to just turn it back on during game one of the playoffs which, as a reminder, will be on the road.

With that said, as far as I am concerned, the Islanders are playing with house money from here on out.

(But if they don't manage to win a few games in the playoffs this run will be considered a fluke not a turning point)
Exactly. Lets not get carried away.

This team has been working flat out for the last 20 games, with one goal in mind - making the playoffs. They finally reach that goal. Easy to see how there would be a let down game. I am surprised more guys didnt play.

Try and grind out a W tonight and see where the cards fall. If its Pit/BOS, then fine. Give them a good series and see what happens.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:24 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
if NYR wins, Ottawa wins one of two left...we're 8th. Pittsburg.

Sixth comes when NYR loses or OTL's, Ottawa loses both or OTL's one and loses the other. Oh, and Brad Boyes scored six goals and Aucoin wins a fight against Steve Ott. Ain't happening in other words.

We had to rest Poulin, but it cost us an easier playoff matchup.
MTL can still finish 2nd. BOS and OTT still play, so that helps.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:

That's my concern as well. I'm not flipping out over a loss by any means after what this team gave us this season. But for a team like the Isles, I feel like success breeds success and the opposite is also true. Tonight will be an important game, I think. If they go into the playoffs playing three straight games the way they played the last two, they might be getting into a few bad habits that'll be tough to break. Hopefully they just keep it simple again and rely on hard work rather than skill. I don't even think a win is necessary tonight. I just want to see them get back into the habit of doing the simple things again -- particularly getting the puck deep from the neutral zone when there's not a play to make rather than giving it away. That was the biggest difference between the April Isles and the February Isles. The "patience," as Nabby calls it.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
19NYSports91

They can't win every game people especially when your giving your starter a rest. Relax. It doesn't matter who they play to be honest. They will eventually have to play the best teams if they go far anyway. Play hard and good things will happen like it has the past month.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:

Agreed. But this team also doesn't have the talent or experience to keep it turned on forever.

This team has overachieved big time this year. As disappointing as a 1st round sweep would be, there are still MANY positives to build on (not to mention experience gained). I wouldn’t consider it a fluke unless the team regresses next year to their predictable lottery finish. Let’s hope for a nice little run this spring and for management to make some modest investments and additions to this core over the summer.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Agreed. But this team also doesn't have the talent or experience to keep it turned on forever.

This team has overachieved big time this year. As disappointing as a 1st round sweep would be, there are still MANY positives to build on (not to mention experience gained). I wouldn’t consider it a fluke unless the team regresses next year to their predictable lottery finish. Let’s hope for a nice little run this spring and for management to make some modest investments and additions to this core over the summer.
Yeah, I think the good news is anything that could have or could still happen will result in a better team next season. If they had just missed the playoffs, they would have been determined as heck to get in next season. If they get bounced early, they'll have a chip on their shoulders and will be determined to put a deep run together next season. And if they win a round or two and get a real taste of success, they won't want to revert back to also-rans next season. Everything from mid-April on has been the best thing that could have happened to this franchise, from a future mindset point of view.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:10 AM
glubrat

We lost a close game to a divisional rival that always seems to beat us. Poulin wasn't amazing but he did show he has some skill, unrefined as it may be.

If you think this one loss signals an inevitable playoff defeat, please don't root for this team.

glubrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:29 AM
JeffNYI

If we were going to get 5th and be in a position to play Montreal - then yeah I can see why we'd be a bit down on not getting the two points last night.. but with Boston and Montreal tied in points, even THAT wasn't guaranteed..

But big picture? Pittsburgh, Washington or Boston? Pick your poison.

For a first round opponent they're relatively interchangeable in the fact that they're ALL going to be very tough to play. (At least tougher than the Canadiens anyway)

So I don't care whether we're 6th, 7th or 8th.. thus I'd rather have a letdown in Philly and/or Buffalo than Game 1... I honestly believe that letdown WAS coming at some point, because every player on our roster and on our coaching staff are human beings.. it's quite normal..

And now we can refocus.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
gramatanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
I hate to be negative but I am very disappointed in the way this team has played for three games now. We were lucky to get a win in Winnipeg and have not played well these past two games against 2 of the worst teams in the conference, while every team around us took care of business tonight.

Right now, the Isles are headed in the wrong direction heading in to the playoffs. Unfortunately, just like far too many posters on this board, this team has seemed content to just be in the playoffs these last 2 games. In most circumstances, that would be fine, but we were in a position to get an ideal first round matchup and even looking further ahead, avoid Pittsburgh/Boston even in the second round if there was an upset or two. We were in position to go in to the playoffs with a legit chance of winning at least a round. Facing Pittsburgh does not bode well for this team and likely means us watching another five game exit, like every year except the Toronto series.

With so much on the line and considering who they were facing, this team's effort the past two games is unacceptable, while Toronto, Ottawa and the Rags all found a way to get it done tonight.

After the thrilling run this team had been on, it is a shame that complacency will cost them in the end, when we had a chance to be 5th or 6th in the conference.
I agree 100%!! The players seemed to think that making the playoffs is all that is necessary, instead of playing hard for all 48 games and then having a chance at the 5th or 6th spot. Those who think finnishing 8th overall and playing the Penguins will be fine, I feel will be sorely disappointed when they see the outcome. Let's not forget the Rangers now will likely win on Saturday and may very well play the Capitals instead of the Penguins or Bruins which I am sure will make them very happy.

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
OlTimeHockey

Does Garth look at Aucoin, C.MacDonald, Boyes and Boulton and try to get better fits to build a winner? Of the above, I see only CMac and Boulton as keepers IF we get two top guys to replace them.

Do we go after Miller? Nabby walk? A top pair d-man to replace Streit?

We're sizzling out now after getting really hot. We could reignite but I think it's showing how we have depth but still not enough talent.

We should have played harder last night. Yes. Do we pick it up when it counts? After April's run, I hope we can and have more confidence than ever, but we could very well catch a slump judging by the past three games. Hope we are just collecting ourselves to be ready to storm out the gate in round 1. And I'm optimistic about our depth. Martinek is ready for round 1 on D, Strome has a chance as well as Nelson. Someone has a chance to shine and possibly bring a rally to the roster.

So....it looks like Pittsburg if everything goes wrong tonight.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:33 AM
iLandHer

I don't believe they should've rested Nabby last night, because the 8th seed isn't what should be desired...I want them to go for the win tonight. It'd be real nice to move up even just 1 spot.

But I wouldn't take too much away from them because they've played 'poorly'. They locked up their spot, on a night when other teams didn't. They fought hard for a month and they will pick up the play when they are in the playoffs.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I don't believe they should've rested Nabby last night, because the 8th seed isn't what should be desired...I want them to go for the win tonight. It'd be real nice to move up even just 1 spot.
If it helps Nabby by resting him before a grueling playoff series and helps Poulin by getting him in game shape should Nabby get run......come again? You wanna risk both scenarios not going well to get Boston or Montreal or Washington {and a red hot Ovy/Green} with a weakness over going in strong with Pitt or Boston or Montreal?

Old
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glubrat View Post
We lost a close game to a divisional rival that always seems to beat us. Poulin wasn't amazing but he did show he has some skill, unrefined as it may be.

If you think this one loss signals an inevitable playoff defeat, please don't root for this team.
Poulin is VERY RAW... He flops around like fish on land, scares the bleep outta me but it was good that he played. However, if I were Snow, I would be very concerned about our Goaltending in the Future. Miller would be an imparative transaction... I like Nilsson a lot better but his illness scares me.

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Isles Junkie

If the Islanders finish 5th or 6th in the east, they are a fun up & coming team that regained a ton of respect throughout the league. ESPECIALLY if they were to beat the Habs or Caps, and I think they'd have an excellent chance to beat both of those 2 teams.

If the Isles finish 8th (which it looks like they will) then the Isles are just the same forgotten team that happened to make the playoffs because the Flyers, Devils & to a lesser extent Rangers all had subpar seasons.

I'm not upset that they lost last nights game. But I'm very bothered by the way they played last night. There was a ton to play for and they really have no excuse to come out the way they did.

I also will never understand why Boulton & Carkner are ever in the lineup at the same time. We don't really need either of them, but certainly not both. It isn't even like we're a tough punishing physical team when they play. We're just a slower & less skilled team that may have a fight. Players like Boulton actually make me want the NHL to ban fighting. That way we'll never have to see players like him waste a roster spot.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:57 AM
bvon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post

I also will never understand why Boulton & Carkner are ever in the lineup at the same time. We don't really need either of them, but certainly not both. It isn't even like we're a tough punishing physical team when they play. We're just a slower & less skilled team that may have a fight. Players like Boulton actually make me want the NHL to ban fighting. That way we'll never have to see players like him waste a roster spot.
Agree totally. Having both Boulton and Carkner in the lineup slows it down a bunch. Also, having Boulton in limits one of the Islanders best strengths, which is the ability to ice four competitive lines. Boulton basically makes the 4th line a non-entity, and a defensive liability due to his lack of speed. Really would have liked to have seen Martinek on D instead of Carkner last night, but, it is what it is.....the boys will hopefully play hard tonight and be up for a tough first round opponent (really any of the top 3 are gonna be a really challenge.)

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:00 AM
JeffNYI

Quote:
It depends ENTIRELY on the opponent.

This is exactly why home ice advantage is so important in the playoffs, too.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
If the Islanders finish 5th or 6th in the east, they are a fun up & coming team that regained a ton of respect throughout the league. ESPECIALLY if they were to beat the Habs or Caps, and I think they'd have an excellent chance to beat both of those 2 teams.

If the Isles finish 8th (which it looks like they will) then the Isles are just the same forgotten team that happened to make the playoffs because the Flyers, Devils & to a lesser extent Rangers all had subpar seasons.

I'm not upset that they lost last nights game. But I'm very bothered by the way they played last night. There was a ton to play for and they really have no excuse to come out the way they did.

If we had a defenseman like Hamonic willing to play like Gary Nylund, a forward like Okposo willing to play like Dave Scarchard and another guy like Bailey willing to toss his mitts, we are a stronger playoff team with Carkner. Boulton....a toughness add-on who isn't horrible, but is very exposed when you have our defense.

I like having the toughness and being ready for a Pitt team that surely will take liberties - and you know they will.

They made sure to get Eric Godard. They knew he would be useful. Why should be not get a tough thug if we're aiming for the same award they were and succeeded in getting?

Yeah, you give me Wrecker and the other garbage we've gotten as toughies and I agree. But Boulton and Carkner are both proven. The issue I have is we're so friggen 4th line/third pairing heavy right now. Those guys stand out more when you're bottom heavy and top light, much like Boyes is exposed as a third liner being slotted at our most important wing.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
Agree totally. Having both Boulton and Carkner in the lineup slows it down a bunch. Also, having Boulton in limits one of the Islanders best strengths, which is the ability to ice four competitive lines. Boulton basically makes the 4th line a non-entity, and a defensive liability due to his lack of speed. Really would have liked to have seen Martinek on D instead of Carkner last night, but, it is what it is.....the boys will hopefully play hard tonight and be up for a tough first round opponent (really any of the top 3 are gonna be a really challenge.)
if Philly showed up playing like Philly, we risk Martinek in the playoffs when we need him. We'd better use him, anyways. His offense is the best I've seen from him in his career and his D is still cerebral and steady.

If Pitt plays tough, we have to match.

It is what it is.

*of course we could still grab sixth seed if NYR loses, Ottawa gets one of our points and NYI has destiny on its side.