HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella..ella..ella..eh..eh...and Glen Cigar Thread Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2013, 04:47 PM
  #901
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
No, it's a fact.

Have fun believing that, though.
fact my @ss. You've proven nothing but that you're able to convince yourself.

Brad Richards has been playing on the third line, he's a third line center as well?

NikC is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:48 PM
  #902
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,764
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
fact my @ss. You've proven nothing but that you're able to convince yourself.

Brad Richards has been playing on the third line, he's a third line center as well?
For a short portion of this shortened season.

Drury was a third line center on two teams over a six year span. Nice try, though.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  #903
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think he ever was likened to Gretzky. But he was often compared to Mike Bossy, a goal scoring machine who was a subpar skater. I do remember that he supposedly showed up at to camp in terrible shape.
Bossy was the best goal scorer I have ever seen. I hated the guy for years but when his name was brought up after the Brendl draft I got really excited about the pick. In fact I was probably more excited about his pick than any other pick other than Brian Leetch based only on that descritption.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:01 PM
  #904
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
No, it's a fact.

Have fun believing that, though.
In order to keep him from logging insane minutes his ES time was limited because he was so incredible on the PK and PP. That's the fact. If you want to pretend he was a third liner you're just fooling yourself.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 05:08 PM
  #905
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,764
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
In order to keep him from logging insane minutes his ES time was limited because he was so incredible on the PK and PP. That's the fact. If you want to pretend he was a third liner you're just fooling yourself.
You're just proving my point that he was a third line player. If he wasn't playing on the PP/PK like most players who play on the third line at ES, he would be a 40-55 point player. Certainly not a player that is over $7M. That's not me taking anything away from him a player, that's just me stating what his role was. 3rd line center who specialized in producing on special teams play. The Rangers put him in a bigger role that he wasn't suited to play in and his production dropped, at even strength specifically. Shocker.

Your defense of everything this organization has done is literally mind-boggling. I just do not understand your thought process.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 08:58 PM
  #906
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
You're just proving my point that he was a third line player. If he wasn't playing on the PP/PK like most players who play on the third line at ES, he would be a 40-55 point player. Certainly not a player that is over $7M. That's not me taking anything away from him a player, that's just me stating what his role was. 3rd line center who specialized in producing on special teams play. The Rangers put him in a bigger role that he wasn't suited to play in and his production dropped, at even strength specifically. Shocker.

Your defense of everything this organization has done is literally mind-boggling. I just do not understand your thought process.
Specialized makes no sense here and is what's BS from your argument. He "specialized" in playing exceptional D and playing exception O? That makes no sense. You're saying it as if he was bad ES, he wasn't. It's just he was so great in all facets of the game that they would want him out there when the chances for goals was the highest because he did everything so well.

That doesn't detract from him as a player, it makes him more valuable. You just seem to be part of the self-loathing ranger "fan" crowd. I've criticized pre-lockout sather, so stop playing into this meme that I blindly defend the organization. I just don't make **** up to ***** about.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
04-25-2013, 09:16 PM
  #907
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,764
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Specialized makes no sense here and is what's BS from your argument. He "specialized" in playing exceptional D and playing exception O? That makes no sense. You're saying it as if he was bad ES, he wasn't. It's just he was so great in all facets of the game that they would want him out there when the chances for goals was the highest because he did everything so well.

That doesn't detract from him as a player, it makes him more valuable. You just seem to be part of the self-loathing ranger "fan" crowd. I've criticized pre-lockout sather, so stop playing into this meme that I blindly defend the organization. I just don't make **** up to ***** about.
Self-loathing? Are you kidding me? Who the hell are you? That's complete and utter horse ****, I'm admittedly one of few people who still has faith in this team making a playoff run. You can drop the personal attacks now, and the only reason they're coming up is because you have no actual rebuttal other than your usual "holier than thou" attitude.

He specialized in playing on the PK and PP. He didn't play a ton at ES. What is BS about that? Because it doesn't fit your agenda? Those are facts, in print, available on NHL.com. If you're going to make literally no sense, I don't know if I should even continue this discussion.

"So great in all facets of the game". Huh. Drury, again, for the hundredth time, was a net front player that scored a lot of his goals on rebounds and deflections, specifically on the PP. He was an average passer and had an average shot. He was also a below average puck carrier/handler. He wasn't and never was fit to be a player who controlled the play at even strength, like an actual first line center would. Or even a second line center. The Rangers brought him here to be the focal point of their second line. He was not the player to do that, not then, and it's proven that he wasn't now.

I never said it detracted from Drury. I ****ing love Drury, he's one of my favorite Rangers despite what transpired for him here, and I've always admired him as a player. You're completely missing what I'm saying, and YOU'RE the one who is making no sense, and you're also putting words in my mouth.

Maybe I should bold it: DRURY WAS MISUSED HERE. That is my main problem with the whole Drury situation, they brought him here to be a top-6 center, one to lead his line, and it was a terrible decision that could have been avoided with some simple research. Drury never generated offense from his skill, he was the finisher for other great offensive players. The Rangers, with Drury on their roster, had none of these players. They had Jagr in 07-08, but he was on the decline and he hardly even played with Jagr that season.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 06:39 AM
  #908
Cake or Death
.
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Self-loathing? Are you kidding me? Who the hell are you? That's complete and utter horse ****, I'm admittedly one of few people who still has faith in this team making a playoff run. You can drop the personal attacks now, and the only reason they're coming up is because you have no actual rebuttal other than your usual "holier than thou" attitude.

He specialized in playing on the PK and PP. He didn't play a ton at ES. What is BS about that? Because it doesn't fit your agenda? Those are facts, in print, available on NHL.com. If you're going to make literally no sense, I don't know if I should even continue this discussion.

"So great in all facets of the game". Huh. Drury, again, for the hundredth time, was a net front player that scored a lot of his goals on rebounds and deflections, specifically on the PP. He was an average passer and had an average shot. He was also a below average puck carrier/handler. He wasn't and never was fit to be a player who controlled the play at even strength, like an actual first line center would. Or even a second line center. The Rangers brought him here to be the focal point of their second line. He was not the player to do that, not then, and it's proven that he wasn't now.

I never said it detracted from Drury. I ****ing love Drury, he's one of my favorite Rangers despite what transpired for him here, and I've always admired him as a player. You're completely missing what I'm saying, and YOU'RE the one who is making no sense, and you're also putting words in my mouth.

Maybe I should bold it: DRURY WAS MISUSED HERE. That is my main problem with the whole Drury situation, they brought him here to be a top-6 center, one to lead his line, and it was a terrible decision that could have been avoided with some simple research. Drury never generated offense from his skill, he was the finisher for other great offensive players. The Rangers, with Drury on their roster, had none of these players. They had Jagr in 07-08, but he was on the decline and he hardly even played with Jagr that season.
We signed Drury coming off of 30 and 37 goal seasons and you think that was third line material? Are you kidding? His last year in Buffalo he was 14th in the league in goals, and 23rd in points among centers, and that's not a first or second line center to you? When you say, he was "never was fit to be a player who controlled the play at even strength, like an actual first line center would. Or even a second line center" and he "never generated offense from his skill," I feel pretty certain you never watched him much outside of his days in NY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko2Zf2q0cKA

Cake or Death is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 07:30 AM
  #909
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
We signed Drury coming off of 30 and 37 goal seasons and you think that was third line material? Are you kidding? His last year in Buffalo he was 14th in the league in goals, and 23rd in points among centers, and that's not a first or second line center to you? When you say, he was "never was fit to be a player who controlled the play at even strength, like an actual first line center would. Or even a second line center" and he "never generated offense from his skill," I feel pretty certain you never watched him much outside of his days in NY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko2Zf2q0cKA
Simpleton stats and youtube videos are wonderful tools for the misinformed.

I find it painfully ironic that you'd chastise someones knowledge of Drury's time outside of NY, yet fail to dig deeper on how he accumulated all of those goals -- particularly the wonderful offensive cast around him in Buffalo and the corresponding power play.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 09:20 AM
  #910
Cake or Death
.
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Simpleton stats and youtube videos are wonderful tools for the misinformed.

I find it painfully ironic that you'd chastise someones knowledge of Drury's time outside of NY, yet fail to dig deeper on how he accumulated all of those goals -- particularly the wonderful offensive cast around him in Buffalo and the corresponding power play.
Misinformed? Last I checked, I am absolutely entitled to an opinion. And I don't base my opinions on simpleton stats and youtube. I've been watching and playing the game over 40 years, including high school, college, and some coaching. I currently watch around 250 NHL games a season, and have season tickets to my local ECHL team in Vegas.

I don't base my opinions off any stats, I trust my eyes and absolutely ****ing massive knowledge of the game. But to disregard that a guy finished with 37 goals and finished top 25 in points among centers, as well as being very good defensively and on the PK, and call him a third liner isn't simpleton, it's idiotic.

I get the impression a lot of people don't truly understand what constitutes a first, second or third liner, but you get a much firmer grasp of the reality of what it is if you watch all 30 teams and see what depth truly looks like around the league. I'm not too worried what arm chair GMs think. The Drury signing turned out over-paid in hindsight, but there's a reason there was a demand for him among real NHL GMs.

Cake or Death is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
  #911
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,046
vCash: 500
Let's stay on topic here guys. I can't wait to watch Torts get out-coached again for the entire post-season. It's going to be a blast!

__________________
Ail is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
  #912
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Please, it's quite the contrary; the optimists are the biggest and most arrogant "I told you so" crowd on this board. ...Oddly enough until recent history the skeptics and cynics have had a largely disproportionate amount of chances to throw it in the faces of the positive pushers, yet most remain silent... We don't feel the need to throw salt in any open wounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Let's stay on topic here guys. I can't wait to watch Torts get out-coached again for the entire post-season. It's going to be a blast!
Hello cognitive dissonance.

I guess I get to look forward to you being tight lipped if this team loses in the playoffs, yes?

Richter Scale is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
  #913
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
Hello cognitive dissonance.

I guess I get to look forward to you being tight lipped if this team loses in the playoffs, yes?
You can count on it. In fact starting Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ail is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:24 AM
  #914
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Let's stay on topic here guys. I can't wait to watch Torts get out-coached again for the entire post-season. It's going to be a blast!
You really think he'll get out-coached the ENTIRE post-season? All four rounds?

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 AM
  #915
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
You really think he'll get out-coached the ENTIRE post-season? All four rounds?
The entire RANGERS post-season. So one, maybe two.

Ail is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 04:13 PM
  #916
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Really interesting read here on Tortorella's thoughts:

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/re...ng-firedpk-pp/

Great point in saying that other teams were interested in Prust, Feds, AA, Dubi, etc... because of their (team) success last year.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 05:12 PM
  #917
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Really interesting read here on Tortorella's thoughts:

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/re...ng-firedpk-pp/

Great point in saying that other teams were interested in Prust, Feds, AA, Dubi, etc... because of their (team) success last year.
Great interview. He seems to really open up on that show for whatever reason.

haveandare is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
  #918
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Really interesting read here on Tortorella's thoughts:

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/re...ng-firedpk-pp/

Great point in saying that other teams were interested in Prust, Feds, AA, Dubi, etc... because of their (team) success last year.
Nice post.

Aside from using the word naked too much, he pretty much says the same thing many of us worried about with the Nash trade. It did leave a substantial hole in the lineup, that, imo, still hasn't quite been filled.

To be honest, I would've given Prust that kind of money. The character guys who also have good room presence are worth more than what the stats and salary cap monsters on paper want you to believe. A guy to can make the rest of the ream relax and feel bigger, well, that gives the team a couple extra Ws at the end of the season. You can't see it on the stats sheet, but it's there.

As for his comments about coaching (being fired), that's the way you have to coach, and most guys at this level are like that. You can't watch your team and coach if you're always looking over your shoulder.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
  #919
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Let's stay on topic here guys. I can't wait to watch Torts get out-coached again for the entire post-season. It's going to be a blast!
Lol I love your sig.

Oak is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 10:25 AM
  #920
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,781
vCash: 500
Not the Prust argument again.

With the way Prust plays,what will he look like at the end of that contract?

Quote:
I love that Brandon Prust signed a 4-year #Habs contract last July 1. I hope he lives to see the end of it
https://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/stat...54753646751745

Its only pain takes a toll on the body.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
  #921
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,781
vCash: 500
Torts with Mad Dog today

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsport...a-rangers-head

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  #922
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Russo is a disgrace but Torts' comment about being happy that the Rangers are starting on the road was interesting. Feels it adds pressure to the Caps.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:36 PM
  #923
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Torts rules for the press. Great stuff.

http://snyrangersblog.com/13/2013-pl...dia-this-year/

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:43 PM
  #924
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,525
vCash: 500
My favorite part about Torts is when he yells at Pat

JohnC is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
  #925
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think he ever was likened to Gretzky. But he was often compared to Mike Bossy, a goal scoring machine who was a subpar skater. I do remember that he supposedly showed up at to camp in terrible shape.
After making the picks Neil Smith compared Lundmark to Trottier and Brendel to Bossy.

NHRangerfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.