HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Training Camp

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 06:49 AM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
As others have said, Manuel is a great athlete. My concern is his ability to read defenses at this level, and also make the moderately-difficult passes. I am not freaking out about this pick, but I am not thrilled about it. I do not see why he had to be picked in the first round.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:13 AM
OkimLom

The very first thing I thought of when I saw they picked EJ...(I thought they should've waited until next year to grab a QB) He'll be the next Jamarcus Russel, or he will be the next Big Ben. I don't think he will be anything in between. Its up to the coaching staff to develop him.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:55 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Marrone on mike and mike in 20 mins.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Don't worry, when it comes to evaluating players I'm right a lot more then I'm not.Enjoy the bust at QB, every single publication has given the pick an F grade.Match made in heaven, terrible team and a terrible draft pick.
Step off the ledge friend. Wow. It's very difficult for me to comprehend why some of you guys are fans of this team, if they obviously bring you so much unhappiness. To be as bitter as some of you guys are really blows my mind.

The guy has played -0- games in the NFL. You don't -know- anything about how he'll do.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:15 AM
LGBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Step off the ledge friend. Wow. It's very difficult for me to comprehend why some of you guys are fans of this team, if they obviously bring you so much unhappiness. To be as bitter as some of you guys are really blows my mind.

The guy has played -0- games in the NFL. You don't -know- anything about how he'll do.
I'm with you. So many people are so quick to criticize a pick when there are far too many unknowns. The Bills FO knows more about Manuel than any publication or website, so everyone needs to relax about the pick. Contextually speaking, I don't mind the pick. They were able to secure a few extra selections and got the guy they wanted at 16. The thing is, this is the guy Marrone and his staff are going to hinge their Buffalo careers on. They were able to pick any QB in the class, and they took Manuel, so if he does bust, they're out the door right behind him. Having said that, I'm in full support!

Old
04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
LGBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
WOW...the winning post in all this is HERE!

You don't sign a guy like Kevin Kolb for 2 years to backup a rookie. Those guys maybe NFL ready but that doesn't mean they will actually be good. You win If they truly wanted an NFL Ready QB they likely don't sign Kolb. This was a good pick in terms of the current situation.
Bingo. That's the point that so many people are missing. Is Geno Smith the more NFL-ready, polished QB? Absolutely. Was he the guy whose skill-set the Bills thought fit their scheme best? No. Contextually, this is a sound theoretical pick. Granted, NFL wins don't come in theory, but that's where it's up to the coaching staff to get him NFL-ready, so when Kolb's tenure is over, he steps in and can have success. That's when people can accurately judge this pick.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:38 AM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

I legitimately might be out with this team. They could've gotten any of the QBs in the second round and they waste the 16th overall pick on a guy with a 3rd round grade? Words are escaping me right now.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
I legitimately might be out with this team. They could've gotten any of the QBs in the second round and they waste the 16th overall pick on a guy with a 3rd round grade? Words are escaping me right now.
Why stop now? This team has been akin to slowing down to gawk at a horrible car wreck for the better part of 15 years. It's the one thing they do consistently.

04-26-2013, 08:48 AM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Why stop now? This team has been akin to slowing down to gawk at a horrible car wreck for the better part of 15 years. It's the one thing they do consistently.
I think the tipping point for me was that, living in Cleveland, I've always hated the Browns. So when the time came (last night) when I liked the Browns pick and hated the Bills pick, it worried me deeply and that was probably my clue to just exit stage left.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
I think the tipping point for me was that, living in Cleveland, I've always hated the Browns. So when the time came (last night) when I liked the Browns pick and hated the Bills pick, it worried me deeply and that was probably my clue to just exit stage left.
This was exactly what I was writing about earlier, and I think is a good idea for some of you. The last decade+ has been horrible for us all, and if you find yourself so bitter that you can't see anything positive with what the Bills are doing, then why be a fan? Why put yourself through it? More power to you Drama, I say.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Lots of players on the board still that I like. I'd like to go WR/TE, and failing that LB/CB. I like the TE out of Stanford.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
This was exactly what I was writing about earlier, and I think is a good idea for some of you. The last decade+ has been horrible for us all, and if you find yourself so bitter that you can't see anything positive with what the Bills are doing, then why be a fan? Why put yourself through it? More power to you Drama, I say.
A moment to show my age: I quit going to games regularly in '86. Not many posters remember the '70's, the Ground Chuck era or the haplessness of the early '80's teams. One little blip of good football in 15+ years then too. Hell, over the course of Ralph's ownership, crap teams have been pretty much the norm. That they've stunk for the last stretch is far more normal that their one, relatively brief span of winning.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
A moment to show my age: I quit going to games regularly in '86. Not many posters remember the '70's, the Ground Chuck era or the haplessness of the early '80's teams. One little blip of good football in 15+ years then too. Hell, over the course of Ralph's ownership, crap teams have been pretty much the norm. That they've stunk for the last stretch is far more normal that their one, relatively brief span of winning.
I'm with you. I'm a bit younger but quite clearly remember them being terrible in the 80s.

My basic point is that if you can't find some kind of enjoyment out of the franchise, then why continue watching them and posting about how miserable you/we/they are?

Old
04-26-2013, 09:12 AM
missingmika

Woods and Ertz in the 2nd and I'm happy. They got the QB they targeted, now get him weapons.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:18 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
I hear you, man. The Bills never cease to amaze me. Does anyone honestly think this clown (Manuel) would have NOT been there at their 2nd round pick???????

They should have taken Jones, then take Manuel (if indeed they were dead-set on him) in the 2nd. Taking Manuel with the 16th overall illustrates the sheer ineptitude of Buddy Nix, and the Bills organization as a whole.

Football is supposed to be fun, and you're supposed to get some pleasure to go along with the pain. Right now, the pain/enjoyment ratio is skewed so much that I'm failing to see the point in rooting for them, any longer.

It's like a woman who keeps going back to the same dude that beats the crap out of her.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
clown (Manuel)
Seems like a good kid to me....

Old
04-26-2013, 09:39 AM
MayDay

Quote:
I honestly think that's the point.

The cynical side of me believes that the Bills have spent the last two decades purposely constructing mediocre rosters in order to basically kill fan interest in the team, so that by the time Ralph finally does move and the new owners try to move it, there won't be so much hue and cry and backlash from the fans.

The loyalty and enthusiasm of Buffalo fans is extraordinary, so it would really take an epic streak of badness to even start to diminish that. And that is exactly what the Bills have given WNY. A streak so bad and so long that it is almost impossible to bumble your way into it through sheer incompetence. No - it takes hard work, focus, and dedication to be so consistently bad for so long.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Marrone on mike and mike in 20 mins.
I hope a link becomes available!

Old
04-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Good technical write up on Manual from Feb with comparisons to Kaepernick.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/27...qb-e-j-manuel/

Quote:
But he and Kaepernick are “high-priority projects,” and I believe Manuel is a physically talented rookie prospect with the highest upside of any quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Last edited by Tim Murray: 04-26-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old
04-26-2013, 10:03 AM
WNY to NoVA

Quote:

interesting to go over.

the end is what still gets to me:
------------
I imagine Manuel will be considered as a player available somewhere in the late-second to fourth round. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Kansas City Chiefs have an eye on Manuel as a project to develop behind Alex Smith. The former 49ers starter is pro’s pro who has been to the circus and understands how to persist through ups and downs and eventually experience some success despite a ton of changes to coaches, scheme, and on-field personnel. That’s a good mentor for a locker room and a young quarterback.
------------

ok with the pick, not ok with the timing of the pick. I get it, the bills need a versatile QB, big, good arm, etc. Just can't get over the #16 pick

Old
04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
SoFFacet

I really like what Buffalo did last night, they got their number one rated QB, an extra second rounder, and punted Austin out of the division. Manuel has unlimited upside and coachable weaknesses, and doesn't need to be rushed this season. This is exactly the kind of pick you make if you're confident in your ability to coach up your guys.

I'm not worried at all that Manuel was further down on some pundits Prospect rankings. Same pundits that elevated Nassib from practically UDFA status to first-round draft pick just because they thought Marrone was a nepotistic moron.

It looks like there are going to be a lot of good players at need positions available with 41 and 46. WR and CB please!

Old
04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
interesting to go over.

the end is what still gets to me:
------------
I imagine Manuel will be considered as a player available somewhere in the late-second to fourth round. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Kansas City Chiefs have an eye on Manuel as a project to develop behind Alex Smith. The former 49ers starter is pro’s pro who has been to the circus and understands how to persist through ups and downs and eventually experience some success despite a ton of changes to coaches, scheme, and on-field personnel. That’s a good mentor for a locker room and a young quarterback.
------------

ok with the pick, not ok with the timing of the pick. I get it, the bills need a versatile QB, big, good arm, etc. Just can't get over the #16 pick
I hear you and I think it's valid.

However, if he's their guy, and they don't think he'll last till the 2nd-4th round, then I can't be angry despite what people guage as his draft value.

I'd likely have a totally different opinion if they hadn't picked up the extra 2nd rounder with the trade.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post

I'm not worried at all that Manuel was further down on some pundits Prospect rankings. Same pundits that elevated Nassib from practically UDFA status to first-round draft pick just because they thought Marrone was a nepotistic moron.
100% agreed.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

Keyword here: UPSIDE

Upside means...future. NFL ready means now. Bills aren't ready to win now. Theory is, if it holds true y the time they are...Nassib, Smith and Barkley are ready to flame out, which would just set you backwards.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I hear you and I think it's valid.

However, if he's their guy, and they don't think he'll last till the 2nd-4th round, then I can't be angry despite what people guage as his draft value.

I'd likely have a totally different opinion if they hadn't picked up the extra 2nd rounder with the trade.
That's true, but with no other teams touching the QBs yet, it seems like it would've been safe for them to wait until the 2nd, or at least trade back again to an even later spot in the 1st and pick up another extra pick.

Closed Thread