HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst officiating pro league? (NHL/NBA/MLB)

Old
04-26-2013, 08:17 AM
motorace

vCash: 500
there will always be missed or bad calls, we're only human, but i really think the NHL has some of the best refs. it's amazing how they catch some stuff.

motorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Mythras

NBA Refs, without a doubt, are the most consistently bad. Rarely call the multiple travels that happen each game, their offensive/defensive fouls depend on the reps of the players and the tone of the crowd, and they constantly ignore basic shooting fouls.

Mythras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
They also have to have the best vision. And home plate umpires can be very controversial. See this vid.

All of those pitches were in the same spot. He was consistent throughout the game. Thats all you ask for is consistency. Those batters should have adjusted. Thats why every single strikeout was the exact same pitch. They did not adjust.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Stonewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
All of those pitches were in the same spot. He was consistent throughout the game. Thats all you ask for is consistency. Those batters should have adjusted. Thats why every single strikeout was the exact same pitch. They did not adjust.
They would have had to stand on the plate to hit those normally.

Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
BankStreetParade

This thread could have easily been titled "Why is the NBA the worst officiated pro league?"

It's so bad that it's unbelievable. You wouldn't even want to admit that the games are being rigged because it's being done so blatantly.

LeBron James gets away with every thing you can name: travels, fouls, double dribbles, etc. He gets an unreal leeway when it comes to calling fouls committed against him - the quote-unquote superstar calls. It's hard to believe a guy as big and as strong as him falls down so easily sometimes, especially when he's not even touched.

Stars frequently get reputation calls. As if there's some logic that says because a guy has been fouled before that there's a super high chance he gets fouled every time he has the ball.

Some teams, like the Raptors, get absolutely no respect from the officials. I mean the NBA itself apologized three separate times for missed calls at the end of games. The amount of games where the Raptors were close but didn't get legit calls at the end of the game and went on to lose is obscene and can't be considered a coincidence even by the most level-headed analysts.

The NBA is corrupt because the culture of basketball is corrupt. AAU teams and sponsorship deals and one-and-done college basketball careers and signing bonuses and referees who clearly don't referee with any sort of fairness. Everything around the sport smacks of corruption, why would anyone think that the referees would somehow be unaffected by it?

BankStreetParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:34 AM
alpine4life

NFL (not the subs)
MLB
NHL
NBA

In my opinion....

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Love

Like Many have said, the NBA is by far the worst. Superstars are intentionally given more calls than the average player. Same can be said about superior franchises.

The NHL really isnt all that bad other than they forget the rules so often. Refs dont really call holding or interference anymore, but at least its consistent.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:01 AM
PuckInTheNards

NHL Refs have been abysmal this year but I don't watch the NBA so I can't really compare. I actually think it's impossible to officiate hockey as the rules are written - clutching, grabbing and obstruction have become such a part of the fabric of the game that if the refs tried to call it every time, there simply wouldn't be any 5 on 5 hockey. What's left is wildly subjective so there's no consistency. That said, there's no excuse for missing this many high sticks and elbows... those are the penalties that should be called every time.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
HockeyFan100
#FreeRedmond

NHL and NFL are pretty bad. Does anyone even watch basketball?

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 571
NBA, ew. FOUULLL............FOULLLLLLLLLLL (im on the couch going wtf did he even do)

Bruinswillwin77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
TMI
Global Moderator

http://deadspin.com/the-bulls-got-sc...call-456192294

NBA is going to have a hard time getting past the air of corruption, and they are also incompetent.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Best to worst

NFL
NHL
MLB
NBA

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Sleepy

NBA's the worst by far. It's not just the bad calls, but also the general acceptance that the same rules are not applied to every player. Star-treatment is considered good officiating, which is why the NBA is so broken. Also, I recall a few statistical studies that showed refs would try to even-up the calls toward the end of the game.

MLB's pretty bad, but that's because MLB is stupid and isn't helping them out with replays/electronic strike zones. I think they do a great job considering the league is in the stone age. If MLB added strike zone and out/safe replay technology, they could be one of if not the best officiated game in sports.

NFL is bad but the hardest to officiate with 22 players making contact with each other on every play. I don't see how technology can help on holding calls, PI, etc.

NHL is day by day. Sometimes the officiating in great, and other times it's brutal. I think the good thing about the NHL is that a bad call still gives your PK a chance to kill it off.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:52 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
People who aren't saying MLB don't watch MLB. It's easily the sport most affected by bad calls, as umpires are involved in every single play, by the very definition. In the NBA and NHL, you can pick out the refs who are bad, and laughably part, and most make a few glaring mistakes a year, but on average they're just medicore.

Now in the MLB, you have to pick out umpires that are good. And it's a challenge. Most umpire's are awful, because have no accountability, if they make a mistake that costs a team a game, nothing happens so they have no incentive to fix their mistakes. And mistakes like these happen in every game. Umpires all have unique strikezones, despite nothing in the rulebook saying that the strike zone is "up to interpretation", many umpires get lazy and don't move into a good position to see a play at a base, among dozens of other issues. If a player shows any sign of displeasure at their decision, they decide to screw over that players team because they got "showed up".

The MLB has the worst officials, bar none, and it's a big reason why the sport has negative momentum, despite a surge of great young stars that no other league possess.
i watch baseball regularly and i cant agree with this. Strike zones do differ from ump to ump but those strike zones usually remain consistent and its up to the players to adjust to this. Im not saying all umps are great but i certainly disagree that there are more bad than good ones, thats just not true.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Name another professional sports league besides the NHL that's officials have a reputation of calling "make up calls"?

That says it all to me.
ummm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
The NFL is next. They influence a lot of outcomes and make sure certain teams get the calls. They can literally call holding on every play, and pass interference on every pass. It also always seems like there is some storyline they want to play out, like the 2 brothers coaching in the SB this year. They are only marginally better than the NBA.
Forgot to mention this in my post.

Last edited by iamjs: 04-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.
iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

nba. fifa is the next closest, but for the 3 listed it's no doubt nba

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Joeygmoney
The King of Ding

It is without question the NBA. Hell I am a huge Celtics fan and we got the benefit of Stern wanting us to get that title in 07 and wanting us to lose it in 08 to the Lakers. The NBA has the track record of refs betting on games, blowing calls and so on. Someone had mentioned LeBron and his reputation, during this season LeBron James went 5 straight games this season without a foul called against him. I played in High School and at a local JuCo if you are playing 30+ minutes a night there is NO possible way you can go 5 games without a foul. The NBA is so corrupt it is scary.

Joeygmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I haven't watched a lot of NBA since Michael Jordan has retired so I don't know how it is today. I do watch some MLB and from what I can tell, the NHL is the worst officiated sport amongst those 3 since they went to the 2 referee system.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

To be the fair the NBA refs are pretty good. They are told to rig games and do just that

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
MMonarchs

Just the fact that NHL refs need some real athletic skill shows they are not the worst.

*Actually, that argument works well for the players, as well.

MMonarchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Penosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
does the NBA actually fix games? or is that speculation?
2002 Lakers vs Kings series had to be fixed.
That was as bad as Chelsea v Barcelona in 2009.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

First two months of this season was some of the worst hockey officiating I've ever seen, but the worst officiating, overall is easily, easily in the NBA.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
They would have had to stand on the plate to hit those normally.
I used to be able to work an umps vision by starting with the outside than slowly having the catcher move further throughout the game. Used to love those umps, I always pitched on those days lol

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:02 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Name another professional sports league besides the NHL that's officials have a reputation of calling "make up calls"?

That says it all to me.
Most team sports have a rep for that.

To find a sport that doesn't have a reputation for "make up calls" you'd have to look to something like boxing, triathalon or Nascar.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:10 PM
zeke
#freewilly

NBA is easily the worst.

Not only the worst, but clearly the most manipulated, too.

makes the sport really hard to watch.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote