HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Spezza (Herniated disc - Back surgery - Out at least 2 months)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
OgieO

vCash: 500
Spezza should NOT rush back. It sucks and I really miss watching him play, but get healthy for next year and gear up for a 3+ year run.

Maybe we can get the pesky mojo back and do some damage without him this year. Other than Pittssurgh at full strength, no team in the East scares me. Especially if EK comes back (even a little slower).

Old
04-25-2013, 07:50 AM
blahblah3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I don't think anybody could realistically say if his career will be in jeopardy.

Nobody is saying this injury alone will cause his career to be over. But if he has recurring back issues, then you might see his career not last into his late thirties.
Sorry, but no pro athlete ever truly gets over a serious back injury. Best case scenario hes career will be shortened big time.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Larionov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
Sorry, but no pro athlete ever truly gets over a serious back injury. Best case scenario hes career will be shortened big time.
Not completely true. WAY back in the day, New York Rangers star Rod Gilbert suffered a broken back while playing junior. He needed a spinal fusion, and back in those days (1960s) spinal surgery was downright barbaric. He ended up coming back and having an outstanding career, scoring over 400 goals.

Mario Lemieux also had a bad back for most of his career - for the last few years, he had a trainer tie up his skates for him. Mario had two back surgeries over his career...

Old
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
enviro61

Worst thing about pro sports are the injuries these guys endure and have to live the rest of their lives with. Spezza's back has been bothering him for so long, I hope it doesn't affect his live outside the game when his career is over.

Guy is an amazing talent but like a lot of stars their potential is impacted by injuries.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:49 PM
HSF

in what world can HGH help spinal disc problems -___-

Old
04-25-2013, 03:12 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Worst thing about pro sports are the injuries these guys endure and have to live the rest of their lives with. Spezza's back has been bothering him for so long, I hope it doesn't affect his live outside the game when his career is over.

Guy is an amazing talent but like a lot of stars their potential is impacted by injuries.
Earl Campbell was a running back with the Houston Oilers, after his career was over so was his quality of life. At 42 yrs old he looked like he was 82 yrs old & could barely get in & out of his vehicle & walked with a cane. Very sad to see but you're right, they think they are indestructable when they are young & they have to live with these injuries, arthritis, pain, pills & more operations for the rest of their lives. The fame & fortune association with pro sports has a price or debt to pay when the game is over for a lot of them.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Nizzy

Next time we hear about Spezza it will be him announcing his retirement

Old
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
TMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Link?

Old
04-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Did you get that from @SensInsider?

Old
04-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Did you get that from @SensInsider?
Nahhh,

from @SenatorsGo.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Nahhh,

from @SenatorsGo.
Ah, I've seen Nizzy ReTweeted WAY TOO MANY TIMES by @SensInsider. What a joke...

Old
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Spezza's career WILL be limited from this injury, I think that much is pretty clear. He's not going to be able to overcome this and play another 7 years into his late 30's, he's just had too many back issues and as he gets older that's only going to get harder to manage.

Also, the fact he had such a major setback is a concern. He should have been back by now, if not at 100% than at least 85-90% but the fact is he's not even close to returning.

I miss Spezz like crazy, it's been so weird to not see him control the offense but rather have it go through Turris who's looked to be way in over his head at times. I think our best hope is that if we have a deep playoff run he can return in the second or third round, especially if it was a Game 6 or 7 to stay alive or advance. But even that looks to be a stretch at this point.

If he really is done for the season, let's hope he has a productive summer of rehab, strengthens his back and is 100% fresh and ready for next season.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Ah, I've seen Nizzy ReTweeted WAY TOO MANY TIMES by @SensInsider. What a joke...
You dont like Nizzy? Or his takes?

Old
04-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post

Not a doctor, but Human Growth Hormone primarily works on the fibroblasts (causing differentiation) and then proliferation of Chondrocytes and ossification of the new bone content (at the epiphyseal plate of the bone).

Perhaps it prevents disc degeneration (from that image)? Just trying to use my knowledge of HGH and combining with that picture. Haha.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Lehner

We need you Spezza, your all thats left

Old
04-25-2013, 10:09 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
Not a doctor, but Human Growth Hormone primarily works on the fibroblasts (causing differentiation) and then proliferation of Chondrocytes and ossification of the new bone content (at the epiphyseal plate of the bone).

Perhaps it prevents disc degeneration (from that image)? Just trying to use my knowledge of HGH and combining with that picture. Haha.
Disk is not bone

Old
04-26-2013, 12:33 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post

By this image, what's the difference between the normal disc, and the herniated disc? is that blue bubble on the right supposed to be something? swelling?

Old
04-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Harbinger
Lose control.

That blue bubble is the herniation.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Fusbolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
Condra-cytes? It all makes perfect sense now, how HGH users have insane stamina!

Old
04-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Mika Zibanejad
Free The Oppressed

vCash: 966
I am a guy who's had a fare share of back problems, And i can say sometimes you feel like nothing is wrong with it, sometimes it makes you want to cry and scream, and usually you just always feel that stiff feeling in your back, which somehow you suck up, and learn to live with,,,

I am just gonna make my assumption and say Spezza's probably not gonna be in the game after hes 35.
I hope he feels good all season next year, so Turris can have his breakout season (finally) and help fluctuate scoring, and Spezza will inflate everyone states,,, and hopefully a sucessfull cup run for alfie...

Old
04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
I am a guy who's had a fare share of back problems, And i can say sometimes you feel like nothing is wrong with it, sometimes it makes you want to cry and scream, and usually you just always feel that stiff feeling in your back, which somehow you suck up, and learn to live with,,,

I am just gonna make my assumption and say Spezza's probably not gonna be in the game after hes 35.
I hope he feels good all season next year, so Turris can have his breakout season (finally) and help fluctuate scoring, and Spezza will inflate everyone states,,, and hopefully a sucessfull cup run for alfie...
Spez also gets the best treatment available to athletes, works with trainers, physiotherapists, massage therapists, and the best doctors, so overcoming a back injury isn't out of the question. That said, he also stresses his back on a daily basis more than any of us as well.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:43 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
By this image, what's the difference between the normal disc, and the herniated disc? is that blue bubble on the right supposed to be something? swelling?
Probably a terrible analogy, but hopefully it gets the point across.

A disk is like a jelly donut. The blue bubble is the filling spilling out of the donut. The jelly acts as a cushion/buffer for the pressure placed on the spine. You do not want the jelly to spill. Less cushion means more back pain etc.

I assume the surgery was a discectomy (or microdiscectomy), which cuts away the herniation (jelly) away from the nerves. The disk needs to heal and then the back needs to be strengthened to support the area. Jason has a long torso which puts more stress on the area.

Core strength is critical for him from now on.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
R2010

One of my friends saw spezza yesterday - asked him when he'd be back and Spezza responded by saying not sure but he's making progress now.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:19 AM
V4D3R

im so pissed right now... we need this guy

Old
04-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Synthetek

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Probably a terrible analogy, but hopefully it gets the point across.

A disk is like a jelly donut. The blue bubble is the filling spilling out of the donut. The jelly acts as a cushion/buffer for the pressure placed on the spine. You do not want the jelly to spill. Less cushion means more back pain etc.

I assume the surgery was a discectomy (or microdiscectomy), which cuts away the herniation (jelly) away from the nerves. The disk needs to heal and then the back needs to be strengthened to support the area. Jason has a long torso which puts more stress on the area.

Core strength is critical for him from now on.
and you better hope the herniation does not calcify to the nerve, like in my case. A 1 hour surgery turned into 4 hours, and close to 2 years of pain after, till the nerve healed.

Closed Thread