HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 NFL Thread (Week 1!)

Old
04-25-2013, 11:44 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Hah. Dallas made a worse pick than us.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:45 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
I thought they were shouting boston strong?
They were.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:46 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Well I stand corrected, my bad.

Definitely misheard that chant.

04-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Miz

Hopefully we have a Brown, Carradine, Minter, Taylor, or Te'o fall to us in the 2nd.

Miz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:59 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

31. Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin: MILLEN HIGH-PRICED SCOREBOARD THAT MAKES PEOPLE BLIND KIELBASA Grade
Travis Frederick!?!? The Wisconsin lineman who was considered a third-round prospect? There were other reaches in the first round, but this takes the cake. It seems like the Cowboys panicked with all of the guards flying off the board, which is the worst thing you can ever do in the NFL Draft. It's never been more obvious that Dallas needs a real general manager.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:37 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
This is why i hate the Patriots. they always make smart moves and also have one of the best QB's in history that get better with age. They traded their last 1st rounder and got back 4 picks. Yet the jets couldnt trade either of their picks lol
The Patriots accumulate picks but do a great job of wasting them. Name 10 players in the last 10 years that the Patriots drafted that stand out? I can name 4 at most. And that is with close to 100 selections with all the picks that Bellechick always seems to score in lopsided trades with desperate teams.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:00 AM
17futurecap

Not sure what to think as a Jets fan, don't really get the Richardson pick. I like the Milliner pick, if you look at Cromartie, he has a cap hit of close to 15 million in 2014 so he isn't going to be on the team. So getting hopefully what is a number 1 Cb on the cheap is good.

I really wanted a guard and a trade down, but that didn't happen. Jarvis Jones was sitting there at 13, think I would have went for him over Richardson, need a pass rusher (OLB). Jones seems like he will go to Pitt and be a good to great player for them.

They have no offensive play makers, but I can't get on them for not taking any of them in the first round. Austin went before them so he was out, and the only other offensive players, not counting linemen were Eifert at 21 and the two WR's late.

I know he will still make great money, but I felt bad for Geno sitting there all night, all the best to him when he gets picked tomorrow.

Last edited by 17futurecap: 04-26-2013 at 02:12 AM.
17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Lundsanity30

I dont really have a problem with Pugh.. He might not be a "stud" and maybe a stretch at 19, but he will be a reliable offensive lineman which the Giants desperately need. We need to protect our franchise QB.

Also, apparently Reese had Pugh highest on his draft board when he picked.. hmm

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:08 AM
Lundsanity30

I trust Reese... We all think Pugh might be a reach @ 19, but Reese has not missed on a 1st rounder yet.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:37 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I like the Milliner pick. Not sold on Richardson. I mean he looks like a real player and all, I just don't know that there's a pressing need there. But if they truly believe he was BPA then I'm okay with it.

I'm interested to see what they do on day two. Still some interesting offensive players left.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Cromartie can be cut after 2013. Jets take a $5.48M cap hit. Save $9.5M.

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.ph...Jets&Year=2014

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:02 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Te'o available at #17 today?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Jets trade Revis

New York media-"This proves that Rex is a lame duck coach"

Jets draft two NEED defensive players

New York media-"This proves that Rex is running the team"

It's so stupid

Here are a few facts to think about.

1) Cromartie is the Jets #1 corner this season. HE is replacing Revis like he did last season. Milliner is being brought in to eventually replace Cromartie and be the #1 corner. To say that Milliner is replacing Revis isn't only stupid it's disingenuous.

2) The Jets have stated a number of times they are going to show more 4-3 fronts this season. They have the makings of a GREAT defensive line with Wilkerson, Richardson, Garay/Ellis, Coples. Why the press is acting like this is another Jets "gotcha" moment is insane. Wilkerson, Coples, and Richardson can all play in a 3-4 defense. Also, a great way to replace a cornerback is to apply more pressure to the QB.

3) The Jets have holes on defense and offense. It's not like the defense was all set AND the offense sucks. Both units suck. It's funny to me that the SAME writers that were saying how smart it was to let Pouha, Devito, Landry, and Bell go as free agents are acting like the Jets didn't need Secondary AND Defensive line help. Anything to **** on the Jets. It's the in thing to do....I can't think of another team in any sport that the media just ***** on everything they do.

4) When the Jets cut Sanchez and Holmes after this season AND when they let Cromartie go they will have about $50M in cap space. In a league where money talks that's a huge conversation opener to any free agent. Here are some top 2014 Free Agents:

Donte Whitner (S-SFX)
Jared Allen (DE-MIN)
Maurice Jones-Drew (RB-JAC)
Justin Smith (DE-SFX)
Charles Tillman (CB-CHI)
Ryan Clady (OT-DEN)
Brian Orakpo (LB-WAS)
Jairus Byrd (S-BUF)
Hakeem Nicks (WR-NYG)
Eugene Monroe (OT-JAC)
Michael Oher (OT-BAL)
Clay Matthews (LB-GBP)
Brian Cushing (LB-HOU)
Jimmy Graham (TE-NOS)
Rodger Saffold (OT-STL)
Geno Atkins (DT-CIN)
Lamarr Houston (DE-OAK)

Obviously not all of these players will make it to free agency but some will. Some of these guys are going to be looking for big money and the Jets will have money to spend.

5) The Jets will have 12 draft picks in 2014. The 7 they usually have, 4 compensatory draft picks and the 3rd/4th round pick they received for Revis. Lets be honest here, the Jets will be picking in the top 5 next season, probably top 3. That is when they will go after a QB.

The Jets needs aren't going to be filled this off-season or with the 2013 draft. They aren't building for this season, i mean that much is obvious right? They are building for 2014, everybody knows they are going to be bad, everybody knows they have too many holes AND not enough opportunity to fill them this off-season. So why are people killing the Jets today? Because they are the Jets and that's the in thing to do.

The Jets could've drafted anybody last night and people would be killing them today. When the talk was about Tavon Austin all you read about was how small he is, they already have Kerley, etc. The Rams TRADE UP to get him and it's "smart move by the Rams to get a game breaker" Look at Mike Mayok from the NFL Networks mock draft and compare his comments to last night.

Jets draft Milliner. Mayock says good player but he has terrible hands. Ok, but what did Mayock say when he had Milliner going to the Titans in his mock draft: "Plug in Milliner at corner, and you've got a big-time player who I think uplifts that entire defense."

The Jets draft Richardson, the NFL network panel looked like they just smelled a fart. Mayock said this isn't really good value at 13. Richardson has some question marks to his game. Ok, fair enough but then why did Mayock have Richardson going to the Panthers at....wait for it....14 in his mock draft? Here is what Mayock had to say in his mock draft: After Sharrif Floyd, this is the most explosive one-gap defensive tackle in our draft. This kid was so athletic at 310 pounds that they stood him up at linebacker and let him go sideline-to-sideline. I know people are pissed that the Jets passed on Floyd but so did the Panthers who picked Lotulelei right after the Jets picked Richardson....

The media already had the stories written about how they Jets blew the draft before the draft even started. It's a joke....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Wow, really good post, SoS. Puts things in perspective in a big way. Thanks for that.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quick thing SOS. Sheldon Richardson cannot play the NT in a 3-4. In fact, he's really not best for a 3-4 at all. He's a 1-gap attacker- he's never had the responsibility of being a two-gap linemen before, and he's certainly not best fit as a prototypical lineman.

In addition, you mentioned about switching to a 4-3 front, which I definitely see happening. However, Coples will NOT play the RDE in the 4-3 front. Coples was a top-5 pick his junior year when he played his natural position (4-3 DT, which translates to 3-4 DE roughly). UNC then tried to put him at DE, and his stock plummeted, which allowed us to take him where we did.

Ellis also doesn't fit a 4-3 very well, so I wouldn't have a problem with keeping him this year for our 3-4 fronts and to show he has value, and then to try and trade him next year for a similar player that is a DE or 4-3 OLB.

Our 4-3 line next year will probably be:

Pace/Barnes (on passing downs)-Coples-Richardson-Wilkerson

Wilkerson can be a strong side defensive end in a 4-3.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

31. Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin: MILLEN HIGH-PRICED SCOREBOARD THAT MAKES PEOPLE BLIND KIELBASA Grade
Travis Frederick!?!? The Wisconsin lineman who was considered a third-round prospect? There were other reaches in the first round, but this takes the cake. It seems like the Cowboys panicked with all of the guards flying off the board, which is the worst thing you can ever do in the NFL Draft. It's never been more obvious that Dallas needs a real general manager.

Worst part is that Elam went with the next pick. FML

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Quick thing SOS. Sheldon Richardson cannot play the NT in a 3-4. In fact, he's really not best for a 3-4 at all. He's a 1-gap attacker- he's never had the responsibility of being a two-gap linemen before, and he's certainly not best fit as a prototypical lineman.

In addition, you mentioned about switching to a 4-3 front, which I definitely see happening. However, Coples will NOT play the RDE in the 4-3 front. Coples was a top-5 pick his junior year when he played his natural position (4-3 DT, which translates to 3-4 DE roughly). UNC then tried to put him at DE, and his stock plummeted, which allowed us to take him where we did.

Ellis also doesn't fit a 4-3 very well, so I wouldn't have a problem with keeping him this year for our 3-4 fronts and to show he has value, and then to try and trade him next year for a similar player that is a DE or 4-3 OLB.

Our 4-3 line next year will probably be:

Pace/Barnes (on passing downs)-Coples-Richardson-Wilkerson

Wilkerson can be a strong side defensive end in a 4-3.
I'm fine with that 4-3 defensive line. I think Richardson will play end in the 3-4 on running downs. (Richardson-Garay-Wilkerson.) I think we are going to see a lot of different fronts next season.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Didn't plan on the Jets picking a QB but if Geno's in our lap at 39 I'd be very tempted.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Didn't plan on the Jets picking a QB but if Geno's in our lap at 39 I'd be very tempted.
I'd rather Ertz or Gio Bernard

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:31 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

After sleeping on the Pugh pick, I'm alright with it. The Giants are in win now mode and if Pugh can solidify the right side of the line Eli will be able to carry us without worrying about guys eating him alive. Gotta nab a good defensive player in the 2nd.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
After sleeping on the Pugh pick, I'm alright with it. The Giants are in win now mode and if Pugh can solidify the right side of the line Eli will be able to carry us without worrying about guys eating him alive. Gotta nab a good defensive player in the 2nd.
I'm curious as to why you think they're in win-now mode.

04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
After listening to Coughlin, Reese, and Marc Ross talk about Pugh, I think this is pick was a need move, which they typically don't make (I guess because they don't feel the BPA was good enough to move away from a need). hey seem to talk about how Pugh can play anywhere along the line — which sounds nice but not sure what it really means. It seem to me that internally may be concerned about the line and getting a guy they can slot in anywhere (for Diehl or Snee at some point seem to be the most obvious places) might be his greatest value. Now, does that mean he's senstational at any spot of serviceable at any spot is another question.

My point is, I think they feel this move allows them some flexibility moving forward and Pugh can save the Giants a pick for a specific OL position in the future.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

SBOB, kind of the right draft to be taking a need though, no?

The NFL draft, so much different than the NHL by comparison.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
SBOB, kind of the right draft to be taking a need though, no?

The NFL draft, so much different than the NHL by comparison.
It seems to be. I'm not going to pretend that I'm a draft guru or even a big college football fan, but by all accounts the draft is deep with talent that is more or less all on the same level. No reason not to fill needs when the BPA may not that great.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It seems to be. I'm not going to pretend that I'm a draft guru or even a big college football fan, but by all accounts the draft is deep with talent that is more or less all on the same level. No reason not to fill needs when the BPA may not that great.
Yeah, I don't really know College game that much either, and the NFL draft is like looking at a different animal compared to the NHL. Gives me a headache with all the emphasis on combine numbers, and most of these guys are based on 30 to 40 games.

At least in the NFL when someone says they watched tape it isn't frowned upon like hockey, where if you didn't see a guy play with your own eyes you have an invalid opinion

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote