HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators @ Capitals | Injuries? Nah, playoffs!

Old
04-26-2013, 11:36 AM
God Says No

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I was honestly so surprised with how the Caps played yesterday.

A very dirty game, imo. Ovechkin was breaking sticks on Karlsson's back, they were taking really dirty cheapshots like the elbow to the back of Neil's head and the punch to Silfverberg's face!

Also, how the HELL was that not a penalty!?!? Let alone a suspension. The guy punched Silfverberg as he was about to shoot, wtf.

The slew foot was disgtustin to see as well. Ovechkin was even taking shots at Karlsson when he was not anywhere near the puck and Karlsson would raise his arms at him like "wow, really?"
I only watched the highlights and after the Michalek chance (that eventually led to the Ribeiro penalty late in the game), I believe it was Carlson who swung at the back of Michalek's head.

I'm pretty sure it was a strategy they tried to implement for this game since they were outplayed the previous matchup. I don't think they have the roster to do this really though. It's going to be interesting if we do end up playing them in the playoffs.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
I only watched the highlights and after the Michalek chance (that eventually led to the Ribeiro penalty late in the game), I believe it was Carlson who swung at the back of Michalek's head.

I'm pretty sure it was a strategy they tried to implement for this game since they were outplayed the previous matchup. I don't think they have the roster to do this really though. It's going to be interesting if we do end up playing them in the playoffs.
Watch how the Leafs beat us in the last game. They collapsed to protect the slot, and manhandled anyone in the slot. I remember one of them putting a headlock on our player and dropping to the ice to prevent our player from waiting for a rebound. They allowed a ton of shots from the periphery. And they played a physical game overall with some post-whistle intimidation.

The Caps seemed to leave our points alone, collapsing in the crease as well. And all of the unprovoked facewashing, sucker punches, cross-checks and slashing was obviously meant to rattle our players.

They missed an element, and I think that was pressuring the puck carrier and punishing them with a big body cheque, with another forward supporting the checker to pick up the loose puck. Washington's tough guy act had no tie to the flow of the game, it seemed misplaced and an afterthought.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:54 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Watch how the Leafs beat us in the last game. They collapsed to protect the slot, and manhandled anyone in the slot. I remember one of them putting a headlock on our player and dropping to the ice to prevent our player from waiting for a rebound. They allowed a ton of shots from the periphery. And they played a physical game overall with some post-whistle intimidation.

The Caps seemed to leave our points alone, collapsing in the crease as well. And all of the unprovoked facewashing, sucker punches, cross-checks and slashing was obviously meant to rattle our players.

They missed an element, and I think that was pressuring the puck carrier and punishing them with a big body cheque, with another forward supporting the checker to pick up the loose puck. Washington's tough guy act had no tie to the flow of the game, it seemed misplaced and an afterthought.
I think the difference between Washington and Toronto games is Karlsson.

Like you said Toronto collapsed in front of their nets and did a good job removing rebounds but we had absolutely no threat from the back-end. Had Karlsson been getting the chances our D had that game he could have scored a couple of lasers and confused the collapsing defense finding a player sneaking back-door cause they' have to respect his shot. The reason we scored both goals were cause of Karlsson tonight. Setting up the first and drawing attention on the second giving Gonchar more room for the shot.

Heck, it would change their entire gameplan cause they'd try and pressure him.

Basically what I'm saying is that Caps played similar game to the Leafs but we got better chances tonight cause our defense confused their forwards forcing them to challenge the shooter and open up passing lanes etc...

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I heard they played an "All that Remains" song in the 1st period... I was like wtf?
A great(IMO) metal band that has gone considerably more mainstream lately. Their new album has a few songs that could be played in public and not offend anyone.

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised that they would play a song by them.

Last edited by SenacusMaximus: 04-26-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Flamingo

Good point. Karlsson simply changes the game.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:36 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

LOL I got bored and took a trip to the Caps board to read their post game chatter. Apparently we took cheap shots, turtled and dove all night ..... Erskine would destroy Neil in a fight and Ribero is a bad ass.

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CHAINZ View Post
LOL I got bored and took a trip to the Caps board to read their post game chatter. Apparently we took cheap shots, turtled and dove all night ..... Erskine would destroy Neil in a fight and Ribero is a bad ass.
Don't forget them applauding Erskine going after our "50yr old" captain after the whistle lol.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

Sens TV has a video of the guys after the game.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost in the Shell View Post
Don't forget them applauding Erskine going after our "50yr old" captain after the whistle lol.
I wonder if they will copy our 50 year old captain's chant again this year? LOL

Smash88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Alfie is more vocal than I thought he would be.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:13 PM
KarlSen

Quote:
Thanks. The visitors dressing room is pretty sad. Looks like it's in a city rink here.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Like I said - Erksine is a few lost marbles away from a stupid play and a lifetime ban from hockey. What a nutjob.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Add on to that we are apparently a trap team.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
It's not a trap! We're just good at perimeter play and little else

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:58 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Alfie View Post
Thanks. The visitors dressing room is pretty sad. Looks like it's in a city rink here.
That's not by accident.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:08 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
It's not a trap! We're just good at perimeter play and little else
Actually it's pretty fascinating (maybe funny is a better word for it) how perceptions are skewed by different fan bases. I'm not excluding us from this as well, it's true across the board. The same recorded event is most of the time viewed completely different depending where you come from.

I think a Washington - Ottawa playoff would be a lot of fun as we are already getting a completely different opinions in just a game or two.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Looooooool, came to post this. We took cheap shots and the officiating was the worst of any game this year.

Forget about the Green slew foot no call, the elbow to the back of the neck on Neil, the punch to Silfverberg's face etc...

Old
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
All teams trap at some point.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
All teams trap at some point.
Not too often in a tie game though.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:59 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
LOL I got bored and took a trip to the Caps board to read their post game chatter. Apparently....Ribero is a bad ass.
Yeah lots were praising Ribeiro, honestly it should be use singing his praises. His selfish play and attitude resulted in our GWG. Thank you Mr.Ribeiro.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Looooooool, came to post this. We took cheap shots and the officiating was the worst of any game this year.

Forget about the Green slew foot no call, the elbow to the back of the neck on Neil, the punch to Silfverberg's face etc...
I also had a few chuckles reading their board. Sens are the most boring, luckiest team that gets all the calls from refs. Their players are bad ass and should never be penalized. I think those are the coles notes.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
I also had a few chuckles reading their board. Sens are the most boring, luckiest team that gets all the calls from refs. Their players are bad ass and should never be penalized. I think those are the coles notes.
I think when you're not a tough team, your fans just don't really know how to react to those plays. Caps fans have never been called the brightest, one guy on their board said that Oleksy shouldn't have gotten penalized for cold-cocking Silfverberg in front of the net.

The fairy tales about Erskine destroying Neil are a little much, but expected.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:08 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
I think when you're not a tough team, your fans just don't really know how to react to those plays. Caps fans have never been called the brightest, one guy on their board said that Oleksy shouldn't have gotten penalized for cold-cocking Silfverberg in front of the net.

The fairy tales about Erskine destroying Neil are a little much, but expected.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Sensgirl65
The original EK fan

Quote:
What is the last thing Alfie said before the guys cheered? I couldn't quite make it out.

Sensgirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensgirl65 View Post
What is the last thing Alfie said before the guys cheered? I couldn't quite make it out.
Gonchar what a goal. Veteran move by the captain to give credit to another veteran on the team. Gonchar got so happy hahahhaa.