HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Other Sports Thread XV

Continue here.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
04-26-2013, 08:54 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Doug Martin > Trent Richardson... said it last year and everybody laughed. I'll keep saying it until people actually believe it.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:03 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Continue here.
First 1st round I've missed in years. The last 2/3rds of it anyway.

Pretty surprising picks in there. What - 3 guards taken, 170 lb guys taken. Weird.

I'm OK with the Broncos pick here. They needed a DT, and they weren't going to get Richardson or Lotulelei.

So, round 2. Te'O and Minter are still out there. Probably not going to last until #58 though.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Doug Martin > Trent Richardson... said it last year and everybody laughed. I'll keep saying it until people actually believe it.
That's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Lamborghini. Can't really complain about either. They're both solid and provide your team with a chance to win. Draft success for both teams.

The only thing I don't like about the Broncos new DT is that he is 25. But he looks to be exactly what they need.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:18 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the Broncos new DT is that he is 25. But he looks to be exactly what they need.
They are in win now mode, 24 might actually be an advantage in this case.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
First 1st round I've missed in years. The last 2/3rds of it anyway.

Pretty surprising picks in there. What - 3 guards taken, 170 lb guys taken. Weird.

I'm OK with the Broncos pick here. They needed a DT, and they weren't going to get Richardson or Lotulelei.

So, round 2. Te'O and Minter are still out there. Probably not going to last until #58 though.
Some great value available in 2nd round.

Minter, Brown, T'eo at ILB
Lacy, Ball, Bernard at RB
Hunt, Carradine, Moore, Montgomery at DE
Cyprien, Swearinger at S
Tayor, Banks at CB

Last edited by anleva: 04-26-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old
04-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Looking back I think you're right. I'm coming to the belief that the steamroller back is done for in the NFL, and I'm starting to bias myself away from pure power runners.

Thankfully, I have talked up Lacy, and he is not a pure power runner in the mold of Trent Richardson.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Let me mention Trent Richardson averaged 3.6 yards a carry last season.

3.6. That's worse than what Knowshown Morneno has averaged any year in the NFL, and I keep hearing people talk about how he is terrible.

That's less than the much-maligned Shonne Greene averaged last year. 3.6 a carry is horrible, I'm not sure if Richardson will be long for the league.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

My buddy back in Arvada has been screaming for make DT a priority for quite some time, so he was psyched about the pick.

I'm all right with it--sounds like a good player by all accounts. Not sure why so many Broncos fans were up in arms about it though.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I think the best running back in the draft will be Jonathan Franklin. Decent speed, good size, can catch the ball out of the backfield. Needs to improve his blocking greatly though to be an every down back.

I'm personally not sold on Lacy as a every down NFL back. I don't think he has enough speed, nor is his pass protection ability anywhere near good enough to be a 3rd down back. I also have concerns over the way he runs, he relied on his pure strength advantage over many opponents and in the NFL he will have a much tougher time overpowering defenders. I'm also of the opinion that Alabama RBs are consistently overrated because Alabama always has one of the very best OLs and a great power running scheme that almost any college running back could succeed in.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
My buddy back in Arvada has been screaming for make DT a priority for quite some time, so he was psyched about the pick.

I'm all right with it--sounds like a good player by all accounts. Not sure why so many Broncos fans were up in arms about it though.
Yeah, not sure how you can fault the pick at all. A highly rated, impact player at a position of need. We just got stronger up the middle and have a DT that can push the pocket and disrupt in the backfield. Many people have been pleading for the Broncos to make DT a greater priority in the draft for many years. Always a crapshoot whether a guy pans out like you project him too, but good pick.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
I think the best running back in the draft will be Jonathan Franklin. Decent speed, good size, can catch the ball out of the backfield. Needs to improve his blocking greatly though to be an every down back.

I'm personally not sold on Lacy as a every down NFL back. I don't think he has enough speed, nor is his pass protection ability anywhere near good enough to be a 3rd down back. I also have concerns over the way he runs, he relied on his pure strength advantage over many opponents and in the NFL he will have a much tougher time overpowering defenders. I'm also of the opinion that Alabama RBs are consistently overrated because Alabama always has one of the very best OLs and a great power running scheme that almost any college running back could succeed in.
I'm not sure he has the strength for a bigger back, but he is certainly athletic and I could see him being a very good player somewhere. Franklin would be a superstar for Mike Shanahan though, I'd look for them to target him.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Fire McDaniels!

Old
04-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
That's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Lamborghini. Can't really complain about either. They're both solid and provide your team with a chance to win. Draft success for both teams.

He spent a year working in a factory. Having a look at the real world might motivate him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post

Your friend is very smart.

The last DT the Broncos drafted in the 1st round... Trevor Pryce.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I'm not sure he has the strength for a bigger back, but he is certainly athletic and I could see him being a very good player somewhere. Franklin would be a superstar for Mike Shanahan though, I'd look for them to target him.
God I miss that.

For me the greatest loss of the purges was Bobby Turner.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Let me mention Trent Richardson averaged 3.6 yards a carry last season.

3.6. That's worse than what Knowshown Morneno has averaged any year in the NFL, and I keep hearing people talk about how he is terrible.

That's less than the much-maligned Shonne Greene averaged last year. 3.6 a carry is horrible, I'm not sure if Richardson will be long for the league.
Yes, let's compare RB busts to a rookie who put up nice #'s behind an inept head coach and an O-Line that was terrible.

Whether you like it or not, Richardson is already a successful RB in the NFL. Is he Doug Martin? No, Martin is a different type of RB. But he's a hell of a lot better than Moreno and Greene, that's for sure.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Yes, let's compare RB busts to a rookie who put up nice #'s behind an inept head coach and an O-Line that was terrible.

Whether you like it or not, Richardson is already a successful RB in the NFL. Is he Doug Martin? No, Martin is a different type of RB. But he's a hell of a lot better than Moreno and Greene, that's for sure.
I think Richardson is a case where people just fell in love with the Alabama system more than the back himself, and scouts overlooked obvious flaws in his game. Is he a solid enough of a RB? Probably. Will he every be a top 10 RB? No.

Alabama backs are severly overrated because they play behind the best OL in college and play in the best power running system in college football.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
chet1926

I hate to say it but 2 guys the Broncos need to look at seriously with the late 2nd rd pick if they are available is Marcus Lattimore and Tyrann Mathieu. I know I'm going to take flack for this but these two guys despite the problems they have are seriously talented, and since our team is pretty stacked we could take a risk on a player like this.

Lattimore was going to be a top 15 pick this year until the injury and was by far the best RB in the draft, and Mathieu was a heisman candidate until he went full retard. Both players play positions we are in need of talent and these two have it. Despite the flags, I think if there isn't a slider like T'eo, Minter or Hunt on the board we should consider one of these guys.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Go cover safety with the second round pick.

Cyprien if he falls or Amerson.

Last edited by Huis Clos*: 04-26-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Nice to see them go DT after years of attempting stop-gap solutions.

I think the team has more faith in Ayers than everyone on this board, but I imagine they'll get one of the veteran defensive ends still.

Still have to get a linebacker and defensive back, but I also worry about offensive line depth considering all the starters are coming off surgeries except Beadles.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:33 PM
anleva

Just found this article written by D-Mac from TheFan yesterday before the draft with his take on Broncos 1st round draft history from 1991 to the present. Fun read.

http://milehighsports.com/2013/04/25...broncos-draft/

Old
04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Nice to see them go DT after years of attempting stop-gap solutions.

I think the team has more faith in Ayers than everyone on this board, but I imagine they'll get one of the veteran defensive ends still.
Heavens Gaters had less faith in a ride on Hale-Bopp than the members of this board have in Ayres.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:46 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Fire McDaniels!
Give him more than a year, Christ

Old
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Just found this article written by D-Mac from TheFan yesterday before the draft with his take on Broncos 1st round draft history from 1991 to the present. Fun read.

http://milehighsports.com/2013/04/25...broncos-draft/
Some of that is Dater-esque.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
A good DT could provide an uptick in Ayers and our MLB's games. Will be interesting to see what happens. The DT is where it all starts.

Closed Thread