HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible playoff opponents

View Poll Results: Who would you prefer the Penguins play in the playoffs?
Rangers 16 10.13%
Senators 59 37.34%
Isles 83 52.53%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Zbynek

vCash: 500
In order of preference:

1) Isles - Jack Capuano in the playoffs, disaster waiting to happen. Is Nabokov actually playing real hockey this season? Won't matter when Sid returns.
2) Sens - Matt Cooke in their heads, and their defense looked like absolute **** the other day. Seems like we always get matched up against these guys in the playoffs.
3) Rangers - I put them at 3 only because of Lundqvist, otherwise, we match up really nicely against these guys. I actually wouldn't mind this series so much in the first round because it would really pump this team up. Would love to see some more Cooke/Nash chirping

Old
04-26-2013, 08:54 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Would prefer the Sens. Really don't worry me too much at this point (not trying to underestimate them, just don't see them getting far).

#2 would be the Rags. We own them and have for some time now.

Least favorite would be the Isles. I honestly think we could beat them, but worried about the cost. Could totally see it becoming an ugly series with multiple injuries.

Honestly, we should be "better" than all three options, but it comes down to us playing smart and getting in our groove.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Isles
Senators
Rangers

For me. Anderson and Lundqvist can steal a series whilst Nabokov has played 40 games this season and has let in 14 goals in 5 games against us and has a 3.04 GAA compared to Lundqvist's 12 in 5 and a 2.63GAA and Anderson's 8 in 3 and 2.61GAA.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Islanders

Leave the Rags for Boston

Old
04-26-2013, 09:33 AM
gopens66
Bart 4 Crosby's RW!

I voted Rangers.

I did not look at any stats to base this on, but the Isles' and Sens powerplays scare me more than the Rangers'.

The PK is one of our worst facets of our game. A Karlson-Gonchar-Alfredsson PP or a the fast and dangerous red-hot Tavares PP just scare me more.

Also, we have lit up Lundquist before, and Anderson is on crack right now.

Call me crazy, I'll choose the Rangers.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Islanders

Leave the Rags for Boston
Or Montreal. Montreal do really well against the Rangers at the Bell for some reason.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:42 AM
open0rclosed

I'd say Sens. Not sure if it's accurate but I've always assumed Pens had really bad luck with the Isles.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

I hope the team has more confidence in themselves (note : NOT hubris) than we do...

Old
04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Or Montreal. Montreal do really well against the Rangers at the Bell for some reason.
You're right the Habs have always had the Rags # in he past few years but the Rags have had the bruins # and they're the team I want out. We'll take care of the Rags in round 2

Old
04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
You're right the Habs have always had the Rags # in he past few years but the Rags have had the bruins # and they're the team I want out. We'll take care of the Rags in round 2
We've handled Boston so far this season.

Anybody could beat us (and conversely, we could beat anyone), but I think Toronto's the only team who can beat us up. The Leafs are who I want out.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
GermanTitov

Id like to play the young inexperienced Isle.

i dont want to play the Ranger (Lundquist)

i dont want to play the Sens (Last years Flyers series) Emotional Dirty Series that could go either way and if we beat them i think it would be a roughh taxing series.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
KIRK

I'm a lot more concerned about the Penguins line combinations than I am any opponent in the East, including any of their possible round one opponents. Bylsma has the power to do far more to slow down this team than the Isles, Sens, or Rangers so.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
cheesedanish87

I was hoping for the Sens but after seeing Karlsson back playing at a high level i'd rather play isles, If i remember right pens PK somehow did a good job vs Isles this year after that first Isles game early in the year, I believe Orpik and Martin also did a pretty decent job against JT this year.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
We've handled Boston so far this season.

Anybody could beat us (and conversely, we could beat anyone), but I think Toronto's the only team who can beat us up. The Leafs are who I want out.
Ironically, the team that I least wanted to play is out. The Devils.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I was hoping for the Sens but after seeing Karlsson back playing at a high level i'd rather play isles, If i remember right pens PK somehow did a good job vs Isles this year after that first Isles game early in the year, I believe Orpik and Martin also did a pretty decent job against JT this year.
I'm not sure that any of the matchups is more favorable than another for our PK. Isles PP is pretty good. So is the Sens with Karlsson back. Rangers . . . lot of big bodies, a little weak at the point. I think it's a wash in this area.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
H382

vCash: 564
Voted Isles.. I think we can contain Tavares enough throughout 4 games.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Luigi Lemieux

I'm going to be honest...i think the pens would ruin any of those three teams. I don't see a Philly type matchup here. Even going into that series i was uneasy considering how much trouble Philly gives us.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 121
Yeah, not a bad thing for the Pens that they don't have to play Philly or the Devils this season in the playoffs.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I'm going to be honest...i think the pens would ruin any of those three teams. I don't see a Philly type matchup here. Even going into that series i was uneasy considering how much trouble Philly gives us.
It is not that there is not a Philly type matchup. It is that this team, when you look more closely, is nothing like last year's team. Both teams went on long win streaks at the end of the year, but last year's team tried to outscore everyone. And they did score, a lot, against Philly. But they sucked at defense. Giving up over a goal more than this year's team did over the course of the year, and the last 9 games of last year they gave up 3.33 goals a game, the playoffs even worse. This team has been averaging 1.3 GAA since February. Then the additions. This team has so much more sandpaper than last year's team it is not even funny.

So yeah, it is not that there are no Flyer teams out there. That Flyer team actually was pretty crappy. It is that this team is 180 degrees different.

And yes I agree with you, to not admit that this team is the most talented in the east, maybe the NHL, is disingenuous. They could lose, and injuries, stupidity, any number of things can derail them. But on paper this team is on a tier almost by itself.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
It is not that there is not a Philly type matchup. It is that this team, when you look more closely, is nothing like last year's team. Both teams went on long win streaks at the end of the year, but last year's team tried to outscore everyone. And they did score, a lot, against Philly. But they sucked at defense. Giving up over a goal more than this year's team did over the course of the year, and the last 9 games of last year they gave up 3.33 goals a game, the playoffs even worse. This team has been averaging 1.3 GAA since February. Then the additions. This team has so much more sandpaper than last year's team it is not even funny.

So yeah, it is not that there are no Flyer teams out there. That Flyer team actually was pretty crappy. It is that this team is 180 degrees different.

And yes I agree with you, to not admit that this team is the most talented in the east, maybe the NHL, is disingenuous. They could lose, and injuries, stupidity, any number of things can derail them. But on paper this team is on a tier almost by itself.
Absolutely. The pens are built more like the 07-08 and 08-09 teams this season, but are even deeper. Obviously anything can happen and luck is involved, but as a pens fan you have to feel good about our chances.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
DoktorZaius

Rooting for the Rags this afternoon. First time for everything!

Old
04-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Luigi Lemieux

According to this site, isles are very likely the pens first round opponent.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...ittsburgh.html

NY Islanders - 68.8%
NY Rangers - 18.2%
Ottawa - 13.0%

Old
04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Shady Machine

Give me the Isles if I had a preference. They are a one line team and weak on defense (over simplification for sure but when matched up to us, it's not close). Lethal PP so just stay disciplined.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I've learned this isn't 1995 anymore. Every opponent is difficult from here on out. You have to be on your game and get some luck to win the Cup anymore.

All 3 teams have a way to beat us. That's all we should care about. There is no easy pick... so bring on any one of them and start game planning.
I think anyone can beat anyone on any given night.

04-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I think anyone can beat anyone on any given night.
Absolutely. The Pens on paper should win in nearly every match-up but the game isn't played on paper. The Isles could very well beat the Pens in a 7 game series (or any other team for that matter). It takes hard work, skill, and luck.

Closed Thread