HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pacioretty 39pts in 43gp

Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Habtchum*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I've always liked Patches, I don't have an axe to grind with him. But he's been far too frustrating this year for my like. He's producing, but it isn't pretty most nights.
Not the same MaxPac we have seen last year, for sure. Injuries or/and not the right linemates could be the cause.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM
habtastic

He's been good, but not great. Nothing compared to last season and that's only partially his fault.

His shooting has been way off. His skating has been very good, but often ends up in a perimeter play (again, not entirely on him). Finishing meh, but not horrible when in close (been getting a lot of gimmes lately). I think he hits a decent amount for what his role is and more so the last few games.

If he could only cut more to the net like last year, he'd be golden. Hoping the playoffs give him that extra push. That and improving his aim. Getting closer would help.

He does look determined though, so I'm optimistic based on what I've seen this season.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
I've always liked Patches, I don't have an axe to grind with him. But he's been far too frustrating this year for my like. He's producing, but it isn't pretty most nights.
Still, you wear the picture of a guy who's at his best when the puck doesn't touch his stick for more than 1 second on his stick. You have a weird definition of the word "frustrating" and "pretty".

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

I agree that he's been inconsistent, however, I can see him bouncing back next year (or in the playoffs) in a really big way.

Also, as Galchenyuk matures and takes on more of a predominant role with the team, Pac will become increasingly important and, consequently, more productive, or productive on a consistent basis.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
I guess you kinda see why some people don't like Desharnais' game. It can be really frustrating to watch.

Pacioretty never was as physical as Cole:

2012/2013: 1.32 hits/game
2011/2012: 1.32 hits/game
2010/2011: 1.81 hits/game *Chara ended him*
2009/2010: 1.31 hits/game
2008/2009: 1.29 hits/game

Expecting him to hit more is unrealistic as he's been pretty much hitting like he always has...

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I guess you kinda see why some people don't like Desharnais' game. It can be really frustrating to watch.

Pacioretty never was as physical as Cole:

2012/2013: 1.32 hits/game
2011/2012: 1.32 hits/game
2010/2011: 1.81 hits/game *Chara ended him*
2009/2010: 1.31 hits/game
2008/2009: 1.29 hits/game

Expecting him to hit more is unrealistic as he's been pretty much hitting like he always has...
That is a very poor method of comparing his physicality from year to year. In his first two seasons with the team he was playing significantly fewer minutes therefore accumulating fewer hits per game. If you look at hits/min you will find a much different story.

Since the Chara hit he has definitely played a noticeably less physical game. People are blowing this out of proportion however, as he still goes to the net and doesn't shy away from contact. He is hardly a wet tissue like Phil Kessel.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Only in Montreal...

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Mrb1p

He's been bad this year. Nothing else to say about it...
He's been bad for what he can be.

I have no doubt that he can produce, I want him to play like he can play. He doesn't drive the net anymore. He's been okay to good physically. In some games he was dominant physically in others he was meh... I think he'd thrive playing with Eller who does most of the work in the offensive zone but doesn't know what to do after

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:13 PM
LePoche69

He's producing no matter how he plays, which is something valuable.

He sometimes play for long strech like if he was a small speedy winger, which doesn't fit him too well, but again, he still produce.

I don't think the problem is that he doesn't hit enough. He never hit that much to start with, and he won't be a big hitter. But for sure, he should rush the net a lot more instead of entering the zone near the ramp and excute an average whrist shot from far away, which he does time and time again.

To me, that's about it. He's a real good player, a good winger that plays a bit too much like Micheal Ryder at times. If he learns to rush the net more, he could become a star, in my opinion.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Mrb1p

Last year when he was rushing the net like crazy... That was beautiful....

Also... He got suspended last year and his physicality went away... Now he gets a call and the same thing happens.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Roulin

Pacioretty has been doing his job well. I think many are underwhelmed because they are used to continual improvement from him, but he's pretty much in his prime now, it's normal that his play has leveled off. This is the player we're going to have for the next while, and we're lucky to have him.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Pacioretty has been doing his job well. I think many are underwhelmed because they are used to continual improvement from him, but he's pretty much in his prime now, it's normal that his play has leveled off. This is the player we're going to have for the next while, and we're lucky to have him.
Agreed.

The only unknown with him is what he will be like in the playoffs? Does he ramp his physical game up a notch like many other players do? If so, then we are in for a treat!

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Cyclones Rock

Points in 6 straight games and 33rd in the NHL in scoring-despite missing 4 games.

If this is "invisible", then I'd take 3 lines worth of this disappearing act.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Kriss E

We should get more players that are considered to have bad years when they put up a 70+ pt pace.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Hes produced but he hasnt been a consistent threat game to game, which makes it easy to shut down the DD line. I hope he's put with better suited liberates in the future. Though DD is a good playmaker, when Galch breaks out we need to put Pac with him, they'll dominate.

I hope he catches fire in the post season.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
Hes produced but he hasnt been a consistent threat game to game, which makes it easy to shut down the DD line. I hope he's put with better suited liberates in the future. Though DD is a good playmaker, when Galch breaks out we need to put Pac with him, they'll dominate.

I hope he catches fire in the post season.
Great to see that we have two first liners... When was the last time ? Last one was Kovalev... He played with Plekanec and Koivu, but they were more like the 1B kind.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:53 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I think its ''chicken and egg'' between him and Desharnais. Pacioretty is less of a force than last year, Desharnais is having a down year as well means they both look a lot worse. While Gallagher is good he's not ''last year's Cole'' good, which makes the problem worse. Statistically Desharnais suffers the most of the two because he's not the goal scorer on the line but paradoxally a far greater percentage of Pacioretty's points this year are assists and a greater percentage of Desharnais' points are goals compared to last year.

Still that Pacioretty produces at nearly a point per game while playing below his normal level is actually a good thing. He's going to be a machine if he manages to keep the engine at full speed a whole year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclonesRock
Points in 6 straight games and 33rd in the NHL in scoring-despite missing 4 games.

If this is "invisible", then I'd take 3 lines worth of this disappearing act.
You know how it works. People notice the obvious stuff - massive hits, sweet dangles, impressive rushes that span from own zone to opposing net, fights, powerful shots that lead to goals ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p
Great to see that we have two first liners... When was the last time ? Last one was Kovalev... He played with Plekanec and Koivu, but they were more like the 1B kind.
Two years ago - Cammalleri and Plekanec

Last year - Cole, Plekanec and, Pacioretty were legit first liners

This year - Plekanec, Ryder, Pacioretty are legit first liners

Unless you are one of those who believe there are like 12 first liners in the league and 5 no1 defensemen, then I won't bother to argue.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 04-26-2013 at 04:00 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
MXD

He's wasn't that bad or that great -- his points totals are a bit higher than his overall play would warrant.

Which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the perspective.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:31 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Only in Montreal...

It never ends.

Our leading points scorer is called invisible, and having a poor year etc and so on.

Only because he is on DD's line.

If he were on Eller's line with the same stats, the comments would be different. Superb year. Finishing better etc and so on.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It never ends.

Our leading points scorer is called invisible, and having a poor year etc and so on.

If he were on Eller's line with the same stats, the comments would be different. Superb year. Finishing better etc and so on.
If he were on Eller's line, he would have 59 points (one more than St. Louis who leads the league), don't ya know.

It's amazing how DD keeps dragging down all of his linemates to the point where they can only lead the team in scoring for the past two years And by wide margins.

Amnesty buyout for the midget. Keep Kaberle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
It never ends.

Invisible is a stretch.

However, Pacioretty can and has played better in the past. He's too much of a perimeter player this year. He needs to be more physically engaged and go towards the net like he used to. He still produces because he's a legit first-line player, but he could be producing so much more if he goes back to the things he was doing well last year.

I'm not sure why you're talking about Eller here. This place reminds me of a bunch of Twilight fangirls: ZOMG ARE U ON TEAM ELLER OR TEAM DESHARNAIS????

If Pacioretty were on Eller's line with the same stats, of course the comments would be different. Yes, it would be a superb year to finish with 39 points despite playing very little PP time and having very few offensive starts compared to his usual centerman.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:52 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
Invisible is a stretch.

However, Pacioretty can and has played better in the past. He's too much of a perimeter player this year. He needs to be more physically engaged and go towards the net like he used to. He still produces because he's a legit first-line player, but he could be producing so much more if he goes back to the things he was doing well last year.

I'm not sure why you're talking about Eller here. This place reminds me of a bunch of Twilight fangirls: ZOMG ARE U ON TEAM ELLER OR TEAM DESHARNAIS????

If Pacioretty were on Eller's line with the same stats, of course the comments would be different. Yes, it would be a superb year to finish with 39 points despite playing very little PP time and having very few offensive starts compared to his usual centerman.
You are on Team Eller, I presume?

Call it like it is. We are not the number one team in the NHL and EVERY player on this team can and should play better.

However, only a select few of the Habs players are granted the gift of a thread dedicated to bashing them. And you know which ones they are.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
You are on Team Eller, I presume?

Call it like it is. We are not the number one team in the NHL and EVERY player on this team can and should play better.

However, only a select few of the Habs players are granted the gift of a thread dedicated to bashing them. And you know which ones they are.

Yeah, I'm on team Eller . Yť tellement beau...

That being said, I don't dislike DD. I just think he's currently miscast as our top offensive center. I don't like how Therrien is using Desharnais.

Long term, I see him being a decent playmaking winger on a secondary scoring line/3rd line depending on how you see things.

Pacioretty, however, is a legit first-line winger, and he's not playing as well as he can right now. People are maybe overly enthusiastic in bashing him, but some of the criticism is warranted.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:14 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post

Yeah, I'm on team Eller . Yť tellement beau...

That being said, I don't dislike DD. I just think he's currently miscast as our top offensive center. I don't like how Therrien is using Desharnais.

Long term, I see him being a decent playmaking winger on a secondary scoring line/3rd line depending on how you see things.

Pacioretty, however, is a legit first-line winger, and he's not playing as well as he can right now. People are maybe overly enthusiastic in bashing him, but some of the criticism is warranted.
Fair enough.

Why dont you keep it on a level playing field and use the same criteria to criticize Galchenyuk (some might say that he is not playing as well as he can right now--some "warranted" criticism) who plays on Eller's line.

You up for it?

Old
04-26-2013, 05:31 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Spot on!
Max has had to create his own chances all year, no help at all from his undersized center DD. Can't wait to see Max playing with his eventual center Chuckie... it should bring Max to the next level.
Is there every a post where you don't trash Desharnais?

Pacioretty is a lot less of a physical presence this year than any previous season. That has nothing to do with Desharnais or Gallagher. The latter are usually the ones in front of the net screening the goalie or digging for loose pucks.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote