HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VII

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Wednesday

Barrie 4, Belleviile 3 (OT)-Theoret, -1. Barrie leads series 3-1.
Edmonton 7, Calgary 3-Reinhart, did not play, lower body. Series tied 2-2.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 04-24-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Wednesday

Barrie 4, Belleviile 3 (OT)-Theoret, -1. Barrie leads series 3-1.
Edmonton 7, Calgary 3-Reinhart, did not play, lower body. Series tied 2-2.
It's a shame about Reinhart, hopefully it's not too serious, I was hoping he and Edmonton would get back to the Memorial Cup Tourney.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
It's a shame about Reinhart, hopefully it's not too serious, I was hoping he and Edmonton would get back to the Memorial Cup Tourney.
OIL SPILLS: Oil Kings captain Griffin Reinhart missed the game with a lower-body injury. He returned to Edmonton to be reevaluated earlier Wednesday morning. According to Laxdal, he will definitely be unavailable for Game 5 but could be ready to go for Game 6.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
OIL SPILLS: Oil Kings captain Griffin Reinhart missed the game with a lower-body injury. He returned to Edmonton to be reevaluated earlier Wednesday morning. According to Laxdal, he will definitely be unavailable for Game 5 but could be ready to go for Game 6.
Reinhart apparently out six weeks. Will, of course, miss remainder of playoffs, no matter how far the Oil Kings go.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:14 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonislesfan View Post
Reinhart apparently out six weeks. Will, of course, miss remainder of playoffs, no matter how far the Oil Kings go.
Tough break for him, and Edmonton. Going to be tough to beat Portland now. (I still think they get past Calgary

Old
04-25-2013, 07:23 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Yikes...
http://www.oilkings.ca/article/oil-k...tain-sidelined

Quote:
The Edmonton Oil Kings announced today that they will be without their Captain for possibly 6 weeks. Veteran defenceman Griffin Reinhart sustained a foot injury in Game 3 of the Husky WHL Eastern Conference Championship in Calgary against the Hitmen. The first round pick of the New York Islanders underwent successful surgery Thursday to repair a torn tendon in his foot.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
InformTheMasses

can't imagine that will help him with his skating/speed (his biggest shortcoming).

Old
04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Well, that sucks. Glad the surgery went well at least.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
I think it's safe to say that he'll definitely be back in Edmonton next year.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Agreed. There is a pretty good defensive group playing now with the Islanders, and Donovan deserves a chance. No need to rush Reinhart. Before his injury, it seemed like he was rushing the puck more, trying to develop his offensive side.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:59 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
How so? IMO his chances remain exactly the same. It's not like this injury knocked him out for the year. He played a full season and about a month of playoff hockey. In six weeks it will be around mid-June. It will give him about 2 1/2 months to prepare for Isles TC.

Whether or not you think he'll be here is one thing, but IMO this injury won't be the reason he doesn't make it. It'll be our depth that prevents him from being here. His only shot is if A) Streit walks, B) Carkner continues to be used as a #7, and C) he beats out Donovan and deHaan.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:53 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
How so? IMO his chances remain exactly the same. It's not like this injury knocked him out for the year. He played a full season and about a month of playoff hockey. In six weeks it will be around mid-June. It will give him about 2 1/2 months to prepare for Isles TC.

Whether or not you think he'll be here is one thing, but IMO this injury won't be the reason he doesn't make it. It'll be our depth that prevents him from being here. His only shot is if A) Streit walks, B) Carkner continues to be used as a #7, and C) he beats out Donovan and deHaan.
You're right. Everyone has a chance to make the team in training camp. Reinhart is so good defensively, he makes it look easy. I think there was evidence of his ability at the Islanders/Bridgeport exhibition game in January 2013. Some injuries are more problematic long-term (Ryan Whitney) than others. At this point, there is no reason to suspect Reinhart won't recover fully. Hopefully, Calvin is the same.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Degeneration Rex

Friday
Belleville 3, Barrie 1-Theoret, -1.
Barrie leads series 3-2.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:01 AM
LAIslanderFan

A question from someone who doesn't actually get to watch the Islander prospects play (specifically Bridgeport).

Before the start of the AHL season, I imagined the Soundtigers being a powerhouse based on the lineup. The thought of Nino, Nelson, Kabonov, Donovan, in addtition to the rest of the team, seemed like a sure thing, playoffs and more.

It turns out, they weren't very good, yet I read about these great prospects. It would seem all of those AHL teams that made the playoffs, probably have better prospects then the Islanders.
What am I missing?

Old
04-27-2013, 05:38 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
A question from someone who doesn't actually get to watch the Islander prospects play (specifically Bridgeport).

Before the start of the AHL season, I imagined the Soundtigers being a powerhouse based on the lineup. The thought of Nino, Nelson, Kabonov, Donovan, in addtition to the rest of the team, seemed like a sure thing, playoffs and more.

It turns out, they weren't very good, yet I read about these great prospects. It would seem all of those AHL teams that made the playoffs, probably have better prospects then the Islanders.
What am I missing?
Tons of injuries. Massive call-ups after the lockout. 5 or 6 stand out players combined with a weak ECHL team does not work very well, especially if you have no defense.

I would say a questionable job by Pellerin too.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:59 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Tons of injuries. Massive call-ups after the lockout. 5 or 6 stand out players combined with a weak ECHL team does not work very well, especially if you have no defense.

I would say a questionable job by Pellerin too.
Are the Soundtigers the only AHL team dealing with the type of roster your talking about?

What got me to wonder about the team, was hearing the Sabres announcer last night talking about several Sabres players rejoining the Amerks for the playoffs since the Sabres season was over. The idea that the Sabres had Amerk players on their roster and the Amerks still made the playoffs, got me to question the Islanders prospect pool.

I'm just really skeptical.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:25 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Are the Soundtigers the only AHL team dealing with the type of roster your talking about?

What got me to wonder about the team, was hearing the Sabres announcer last night talking about several Sabres players rejoining the Amerks for the playoffs since the Sabres season was over. The idea that the Sabres had Amerk players on their roster and the Amerks still made the playoffs, got me to question the Islanders prospect pool.

It's natural to see the lack of success at the AHL level and be skeptical of a fairly hyped farm system. However the Sound Tigers are not the entire NY Islander prospect pool. SO many talented prospect either joined the Sound Tigers incredibly late (when it was too late) like Strome, Pedan, Mayfield. Anders Lee was at ND all year and joined the Isles late.

Nilsson and Poulin only played a total of 51 games out of 76. Rick DiPietro and Kenny Rieter had to play a bulk of the season due to Nilssons illness and Poulin being called up to take the bearded cancers place on the bench at NVMC.

Most of the season Bridgeport sported just 1 future NHL defenceman (Donovan). Wishart is a passable depth defenceman at the AHL level. de Haan got hurt and missed the season. Ness is a disappointment and was exploited yet again. The rest of the defense pickups were really quite bad and not what I consider AHL level.

Minor league signings like Colin McDonald ended up making the big club, add that to injuries to Sundstrom, Nelson, Kabanov, the injury/yo-yo'ing of Ullstrom and extended pity party from Nino.

Any one of those things is enough to make an unsuccessful season at the AHL level. Bridgeport had deal with all of that, AND I think some decisions Pellerin made were HIGHLY questionable.

Then you factor in the kids in Europe (Petrov, Pokka) College (Russo) Juniors (Theoret, Reinhart, Pelech, Graham etc).....

Honstly I can't remember the last time the Islanders farm system was this strong. There may not be any John Tavares' but this is a very deep group.

Expecting 5 or 6 20, 21 year olds to carry a poor ECHL club through injuries and other misfortunes is asking a bit too much. I do understand why you feel that way though. Yes there are a few prospects very much over-hyped right now, BUT there is more than enough to fill-out a VERY competitive exciting line-up in the NHL within a couple of years.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:51 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

This time last yr, the Sound Tigers were on their way to winning the division crown.

A yr later, they miss the playoffs by about 5 pts. It sounds like key injuries, Nino pouting for a good 5 weeks, players moving onto the NHL and questionable coaching hurt this yr's team.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:14 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
This time last yr, the Sound Tigers were on their way to winning the division crown.

A yr later, they miss the playoffs by about 5 pts. It sounds like key injuries, Nino pouting for a good 5 weeks, players moving onto the NHL and questionable coaching hurt this yr's team.
Consider this. Last years team almost won the division crown, then they added the Islanders 2 best prospects (Nino & Nelson) and they didn't make the playoffs.

I appreciate the detailed feedback from InformTheMasses and CREW99AW, I just don't have as optimistic a view as many of you on the board.

I hope I'm wrong.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Consider this. Last years team almost won the division crown, then they added the Islanders 2 best prospects (Nino & Nelson) and they didn't make the playoffs.

I appreciate the detailed feedback from InformTheMasses and CREW99AW, I just don't have as optimistic a view as many of you on the board.

I hope I'm wrong.
Coaching was downgraded significantly. Other than that, Poulin/Nilsson took a giant step back.... partly because the team defense was an abomination this year compared to last.

Cizikas, Ullstrom and Rakhshani all played important roles last year and weren't replaced. They literally lost five of their top six scorers from last season..... then had guys like Jon Landry getting important minutes on defense because of injuries/call ups.

Seriously, I watched Landry cough up the puck 4X in one shift..... and that wasn't exactly a rare occurrence from him. Think Boyes is bad? lol

Old
04-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Degeneration Rex

Saturday
Belleville 3, Barriev1-Theoret, 1 assist, -1 .
Series tied 3-3.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Coaching was downgraded significantly. Other than that, Poulin/Nilsson took a giant step back.... partly because the team defense was an abomination this year compared to last.

Cizikas, Ullstrom and Rakhshani all played important roles last year and weren't replaced. They literally lost five of their top six scorers from last season..... then had guys like Jon Landry getting important minutes on defense because of injuries/call ups.

Seriously, I watched Landry cough up the puck 4X in one shift..... and that wasn't exactly a rare occurrence from him. Think Boyes is bad? lol
Nothing to think about. Boyes is bad . BEAT THE PENS!!!

Old
04-27-2013, 10:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Saturday
Belleville 3, Barriev1-Theoret, 1 assist, -1 .
Series tied 3-3.
Theoret assist on Ekblad goal.

Old
04-27-2013, 10:17 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

Agreed on both counts. He basically left Ness and Landry as a pairing all season. The two of them together cough the puck up and don't have any defensive abilities to speak of whatsoever. As bad as they were, McIver may have been the worst.

Thought Halmo and Cantin were not given enough ice time. Not that either is a stud but Halmo played pretty effective when used with regularity. Cantin wasn't too bad. would have liked to see more from him.

Why did Bridgeport let Steve Oleksy go last year and keep guys like McIver and Landry I'll never understand.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

I hope I'm wrong.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the early season complaints was that the ST didn't start the season with many AHL vets. They filled their roster with their kids. Days into the season they lost De Haan, who arguably is their best blueliner. Brock Nelson was playing great on the first line, before the broken jaw took him out of the lineup for 4-5 weeks What kind of shape was Nelson in on his return, having to go with a liquid diet for 4-5 weeks?

KK was playing solid defensively and on the forecheck, before going out for almost 3 months.

Anders Nilson, who helped lead the team to the 2011-2012 division crown, struggled with the mystery until it was diagnosed in March.

They finished 5 pts out.

If they don't lose their best d-man and their #1 center, do they make up those 5 pts?

Closed Thread