HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal to Canes

Old
04-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
No long-term issues with his orbital area. His vision has already improved dramatically. He'll be playing very soon. Let's re-visit this thread in a week and we'll see if Staal's value is still as low as you currently think it is.

Your attempt at making me laugh was successful.
When did I ever give my opinion on what his value actually was? Oh right, I didn't. All I said was that his value will be lower because of current question marks around his health. Do concussions and eye injuries increase trade value?

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:27 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Like Jordan in Pittsburgh

Like Pittsburgh.

etc.

Not that I don't agree with your overall point, but your way of "proving" that point is a little off.

Comparing apples to oranges. Arguably the biggest reason Jordan left Pittsburgh was because he was stuck behind Crosby and Malkin. Even if he loved Pittsburgh, it was best for his career to move on. Marc is the Rangers' #1 defenseman. He's not being limited by anybody.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

Like Pittsburgh.

etc.

Not that I don't agree with your overall point, but your way of "proving" that point is a little off.
Oh, my apologies, I didn't realize Marc's fate was linked to Jordan's, despite the very different circumstances they're both in. Well played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
When did I ever give my opinion on what his value actually was? Oh right, I didn't. All I said was that his value will be lower because of current question marks around his health. Do concussions and eye injuries increase trade value?
If that injury isn't affecting the players performance, then no, it doesn't increase or decrease their value. In Marc's case, I guess we'll wait and see how he responds to his eye injury. I'm confident it won't change anything about his game.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Oh, my apologies, I didn't realize Marc's fate was linked to Jordan's, despite the very different circumstances they're both in. Well played.
And if you had said anything about Marc not being limited by others (like Jordan in Pittsburgh) or the fact that Marc still has something to prove in New York (unlike Jordan in Pittsburgh), then I wouldn't have commented.

But instead, you brought up points that were, in fact, completely superficial. Considering (besides Jordan) there have been countless players that state they love the city they're playing in, that have been given some form of leadership, were homegrown players...and still left for another team for a variety of reasons. Most recent one would be Parise.

But like I said, I don't disagree that it's foolish to assume Marc will join Carolina just because his brothers play here. Just disagreed with your way of presenting that case.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:58 PM
16 To Stanley*

I don't think it's foolish to think that Marc will eventually wind up a Cane, but to think that he'll go to them cheap just because his brothers are there is retarded. He's never said anything about wanting to leave the Rangers. The Rangers are one of the top organizations in the league. They treat there players as well as anyone. Sure they don't win year in year out, but they've been pretty successful for the last decade and since Marc has been in the league.

Not that Pitt isn't or that Carolina isn't but he doesn't need to leave here or anything.

Also, if the Rangers do opt to trade him to Carolina, he's going to cost a fortune. We have a lot of good d-men, but Staal is far and away the best, when healthy. I know people always consider him a #2 because of his offense but his defense is ridiculously good. Without him, we are not anywhere near the team we can be.

To trade him would be a huge hole to fill. The rangers have invested years in the guy. They have built a defense around him. Much of the reason the team is so defensive minded is because he was one of the first draft picks in this rebuild.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
If he ends up winning a cup with us, this holds some water, but personally I don't think he leaves us until we win a cup, and then the brothers can play together. Wouldn't that make the most sense? I know if I was Marc, I would want to win a cup first, and then if I still want to, join the Canes.

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Alien Valuating

Tlusty, Faulk, and your 2013 1st (most likely a top 10 pick)

It's like you already have the other two yellows, and now you want Marvin Gardens, too?? Gotta overpay for the monopoly

Alien Valuating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerotrot View Post

It's like you already have the other two yellows, and now you want Marvin Gardens, too?? Gotta overpay for the monopoly
LOL, why would the Canes trade Faulk? That's just stupid.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:39 PM
patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
LOL, why would the Canes trade Faulk? That's just stupid.
Eirc Staal > Jordan Staal >>>>>>>> Marc Staal (whose defensive prowess is 95% due to his world class goalie.) If not for The King, and his pedigree, Staal would be regarded as a lesser Luke Schenn.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
How much Lesser than Luke Schenn can you possibly get? Stu Bickel?

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:22 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
Eirc Staal > Jordan Staal >>>>>>>> Marc Staal (whose defensive prowess is 95% due to his world class goalie.) If not for The King, and his pedigree, Staal would be regarded as a lesser Luke Schenn.
My God. What a horrific analysis. Literally the worst break down I've ever read on here. You have no idea what you're talking about. Let me guess, Girardi and McDonagh are also only good because of Lundqvist? The defense and Henrik bail each other out all the time, and that especially includes Staal for making key defensive plays. Get real man.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:24 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
You cannot compare offensive minded scorers to 2 way forwards to a solid defender. That is just the most unusual thing to bring up in this thread.

But we've had so many of these threads recently. Rangers want to hold on to Staal for as long as they can. If forced - then we will see how it goes.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

No. I'm sick of this.

If Marc wants to go to Carolina when he hits free agency, that's his prerogative. Until then you get nothing.

04-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Stephen

Just seems like there's something fundamentally un-competitive about Marc Staal wanting to end up on a perpetually losing team away from the "fishbowl existence" of a big market and signing big retirement contracts to hang out with your 3 other brothers, especially when the two good ones already have Stanley Cups and are probably set to just coast along for the next decade...

Actually, I might be a bit annoyed to be a non Staal Hurricane, I mean, what the heck is Jared even doing in the NHL?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Actually, I might be a bit annoyed to be a non Staal Hurricane, I mean, what the heck is Jared even doing in the NHL?
OT, we have literally called up nearly every Checker forward over the course of the season. It was between Staal, Justin Shugg and Jerome Samson.

Factor in that the Checkers start the playoffs on Sat., and we're not going to take their best players.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:47 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That's just flat out untrue.
Baseball, Football or Hockey

How many significant UFA's choose to sign with either team.

You would expect that with the Steelers storied History both recent and 40 years ago that they would be a desired destination yet they lose more UFA's every year then they lure.

Pirates? Need I say more?

Pens? Iginla chose Pitt in a trade, but he's marginally better in Pitt than he was in Calgary. Kunitz acquired in a trade, Neal acquired in a trade. The only guy that could be considered significant is Paul Martin and calling him significant is a stretch. In fact, he was a 30+ point guy in NJ, he's not touched 30 points in Pitt. On pace this year for 40 points, but shortened season and the injury will have prevented that.

Sorry to derail the thread.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Ironically Staal (M) is exactly the kind of player Carolina needs. On the other hand, same with NYR

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by allerotrot View Post

Drop Tlusty or Faulk from that and you'd have a solid offer, although not one I suspect Carolina likes. While I agree it would take an overpayment to get Staal out of New York, yours is simply ridiculous. Marc Staal is good, but let's not push here.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Marc Staal's value is nowhere near as high as a lot of Rangers fans are saying. Maybe before his injury, but now his value is like in limbo. No one's going to do anything until they see just how well his eyesight has returned and if it will even ever return 100%. So there's no real solid way of pricing Marc Staal in my opinion right now. Maybe after the post-season if he attempts a return and plays well, or during the offseason, but for now it's kind of pointless trying to find his value.

Xylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:06 PM
rockinghockey

CAR's pick this year is a pretty good one, so I would think it to be pretty fair. Maybe add in a prospect and that would do it.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:14 PM
hlaverty06

Marc Staal threads pop up every day

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:17 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

Marc Staal is the Rangers' best defenseman, there's no way he's moved unless there's an overpayment.
I'd say McDonagh is more of their best defenseman but that's just me

SpeedDemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I'd say McDonagh is more of their best defenseman but that's just me
I'd agree to that. They're both talented defensemen

Xylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:34 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

I think something around Skinner would be fair..

hfgreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I don't now if Rangers fans are serious about those offers they suggest or are just doing it because they would only trade him for overpayment, because there is no chance Staal is worth Skinner or Faulk, Tlusty and a 1st.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote