HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 11:25 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Did anyone else see the mock drafts from NHL writers? The Hoffner one is absurd. Rist isn't even on the ****ing list...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=667662

Old
04-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Curufinwe

But the other two both have Philly taking him at the #8 spot.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Flyers2point0

it's really pathetic how many 2nd-3rd round guys made it on those lists and how many late 1sts got bumped up to top 10. it seems like they only know about a handful of playes (top 5) and just threw in names to fill in the rest.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Russian fans quite upset on the prospects board over the Nichuskin thing.
Hoping this plus his want to play for us gets him assuming he's bpa

Old
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Hoping this plus his want to play for us gets him assuming he's bpa
I especially won't mind getting him now he has an out clause in the NHL after next year. Most likely any player we draft where we are won't be playing in the NHL anyway, so let the kid develop a year in the KHL and bring him over. We can sign him to a nice bonus laden contract which will help ease his transition to the NHL(money wise). A lot of people seem to think he could be one, if not the best, forward in the draft, might as well take a chance on that talent.

Our luck, he would turn out like Burmy up in Winnipeg. Of course they are completely different players though.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Did anyone else see the mock drafts from NHL writers? The Hoffner one is absurd. Rist isn't even on the ****ing list...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=667662
Yeah I saw that. He has Hagg going at 6 too and has the Sabres taking Fucale at number 9. Like I said earlier, different teams have different guys ranked differently, but from a mock draft POV making picks like this seems wacky (unless of course he's got some kind of insight that others don't have).

Old
04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Nurse is McNabb's nephew? Neat.

04-26-2013, 11:54 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Nurse is McNabb's nephew? Neat.
Not blood related though. His aunt is married to McNabb.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Upset because of the new deal being worked out, or upset that people are snubbing him because he is a Russian?
Upset because of the deal. I think they expected him to stay, and the out clause is upsetting them.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Yeah I saw that. He has Hagg going at 6 too and has the Sabres taking Fucale at number 9. Like I said earlier, different teams have different guys ranked differently, but from a mock draft POV making picks like this seems wacky (unless of course he's got some kind of insight that others don't have).
Yep. Hoffner's list is ... umm ... unique. At least he's the only one who has the Oilers drafting a defenseman, but Hagg over Ristolainen (Sir Not Appearing in this Picture) and Zadorov??? Plus, Buffalo using the 9th pick on a goaltender while Monahan, Nichushkin and Lindholm are all on the board. Wow.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I especially won't mind getting him now he has an out clause in the NHL after next year. Most likely any player we draft where we are won't be playing in the NHL anyway, so let the kid develop a year in the KHL and bring him over. We can sign him to a nice bonus laden contract which will help ease his transition to the NHL(money wise). A lot of people seem to think he could be one, if not the best, forward in the draft, might as well take a chance on that talent.

Our luck, he would turn out like Burmy up in Winnipeg. Of course they are completely different players though.
He now goes to the one of the top franchise's in the KHL in Dynamo Moskva. That's the same team Ovechkin played for during the lockout.

Just looking on twitter a lot of Russian reporters think he'll drop in the draft now because of this.

So that could be potentially good news for us if we're outside the top 10 and he falls to us.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd be willing to do our 1st, Couturier, Coburn and McGinn for the 1st overall. I REALLY want jones on this team.
Terrible. As much as I like Jones no defender is a sure thing.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He now goes to the one of the top franchise's in the KHL in Dynamo Moskva. That's the same team Ovechkin played for during the lockout.

Just looking on twitter a lot of Russian reporters think he'll drop in the draft now because of this.

So that could be potentially good news for us if we're outside the top 10 and he falls to us.
Wait I'm confused. I thought this new deal was going to make it more likely that he gets chosen earlier since there is that out clause? Am I reading this the wrong way?

Old
04-26-2013, 01:10 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Yea I heard some very good things about him and seems as though the contract was the only thing slowing him up.

What player would you compare his ceiling and flood to?

Old
04-26-2013, 01:13 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Wait I'm confused. I thought this new deal was going to make it more likely that he gets chosen earlier since there is that out clause? Am I reading this the wrong way?
That's what I would think too. Although his opt out isn't a sure thing because he has only demonstrated interest in the flyers and rags. So other teams may not want to wait two years. If they don't care it frees up another top 9 player to drop to us

Old
04-26-2013, 01:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He went from an average team in Traktor to a really wealthy and powerful team in Dynamo. Even with the new deal Dynamo's going to be pressuring him to stay longer in Russia.

They think Russia's president was involved in this move because he has ties to Dynamo.

Edit: Now they're saying Nichushkin's upset with the trade and wants to play in NA for next year. I don't know how that's even possible if he signed a new deal? This is confusing the hell out of me.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-26-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I still think if Nurse (if only), Rist or Zadorov are around where we pick, we should jump on it immediately. For the 2nd round, if we have about the same position, maybe we should try to get someone like Jimmy Lodge. Local guy who was doing very well in the 2nd half of the season in the OHL and if he bulks up, he could become very good.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:36 PM
ORYX

Quote:
I still think if Nurse (if only), Rist or Zadorov are around where we pick, we should jump on it immediately. For the 2nd round, if we have about the same position, maybe we should try to get someone like Jimmy Lodge. Local guy who was doing very well in the 2nd half of the season in the OHL and if he bulks up, he could become very good.
If Justin Bailey is available 2nd round, I jump on him like there is no tomorrow.

Kid will be dynamite.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I definitely agree that one of those defenseman really should be the pick, but if it's Rist or Zadarov and by some chance Nichuskin were to slide.... that would be tough. For me, I have it:

1. Jones
2. MacK
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Nurse
6. Nichuskin (if I knew he was coming over next season, I take him 4th easily)
7. Risto
8. Lindholm
9. Monahan
10. Zadarov

Old
04-26-2013, 01:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
My plan for the draft if I am Homer/Snider/Lavy is to look at Risto, Nurse, Pulock, or Zadorov in the first, then target a forward like de la Rose or someone who may fall into the early second round (Hagg? Lazar? Zykov? Dickinson?). Then just go BPA.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
My plan for the draft if I am Homer/Snider/Lavy is to look at Risto, Nurse, Pulock, or Zadorov in the first, then target a forward like de la Rose or someone who may fall into the early second round (Hagg? Lazar? Zykov? Dickinson?). Then just go BPA.
He's rated in the top 10 on some scouting lists. I don't see him falling out of the 1st round. He's more than likely a mid-first rounder.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's rated in the top 10 on some scouting lists. I don't see him falling out of the 1st round. He's more than likely a mid-first rounder.
Yeah I know, but I have seen him mocked lower too. Guys fall and guys rise all the time. Scott Laughton I don't think was even in the top 30 NA skaters at the final rankings last year and the Flyers picked him. Other guys that were in the top 30 overall were chosen outside. I was just throwing names out there of some later first round picks.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Not blood related though. His aunt is married to McNabb.
But his dad, Richard Nurse, was a wide receiver with my beloved Hamilton Tiger Cats, so he has pro athlete blood lines.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...se-family.html

Quote:
There will be several familiar hockey surnames like Subban, Domi and Cassels playing in the world under-17 challenge in Windsor, Ont. next week. Another player with a sporting connection of a different kind will be Team Ontario defenceman Darnell Nurse of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

His father Richard was a receiver with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the family's impressive athletic bloodlines don't stop there. His mother Cathy played basketball at McMaster University. His 23-year-old sister Tamika played basketball at Bowling Green and Oregon. His younger sister Kia, 15, is a star at St. Thomas More Secondary in Hamilton, and led the Ontario under-15 squad to a national title last summer.

Also, Nurse's uncle just happens to be Donovan McNabb. Richard's sister met the NFL quarterback when the two attended Syracuse University.

"They all have been a big influence in my life," Darnell said.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
But his dad, Richard Nurse, was a wide receiver with my beloved Hamilton Tiger Cats, so he has pro athlete blood lines.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...se-family.html
Psh. Canadian pro athelte blood lines. That's like saying I have pro athlete blood lines because my grandfather bought my dad ice cream after his middle school track meets.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2point0 View Post
it's really pathetic how many 2nd-3rd round guys made it on those lists and how many late 1sts got bumped up to top 10. it seems like they only know about a handful of playes (top 5) and just threw in names to fill in the rest.
It's not pathetic, unless they turn out to be wrong. There really isn't much point in worrying about mock lists, or even TSN or The Hockey News. Every year there are a number of taken in the first round who were rate in the 2nd, or earlier in the first. There are guys that slide inexplicably. Expect the same again this year.

Closed Thread