HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team Canada - 2013 IIHF U18 Tournament

Old
04-26-2013, 12:47 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Couple points:
1. According to Hockey Canada protocol, once you play for the U20 team, convention is that you dont play again at a lower level (U18). So if McDavid makes a World Junior team this year or next year, he essentially foregoes U-18 eligibility

2. In theory, I believe McDavid could be invited to the U20 Summer camp, as HC protocol again says that an underager has to attend the Ivan Hlinka camp unless they have already played for Canada in a U18 event. Obviously now McDavid now has, its just up to HC. Personally, id rather see him help Canada win a real event. If there was something like the Super Series last year, my mind would change
I agree with this. I don't see how Hockey Canada can't invite McDavid to their World Junior summer camp, especially with essentially a full summer of training ahead of him, you know he's going to be working day in and day out to improve his game.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:48 PM
puckfan13

So why was Morrissey ranked 27 in Central's final again? If I'm an NHL team I'm considering this kid top 10 if Nurse is snatched up and I really want/need a d-man.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
So why was Morrissey ranked 27 in Central's final again? If I'm an NHL team I'm considering this kid top 10 if Nurse is snatched up and I really want/need a d-man.
I think I would put Pullock ahead of him still.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I agree with this. I don't see how Hockey Canada can't invite McDavid to their World Junior summer camp, especially with essentially a full summer of training ahead of him, you know he's going to be working day in and day out to improve his game.
This summer the U20 team is again not having the traditional summer camp, but are playing a series of games in Lake Placid, NY. USA, Sweden, Finland etc. According to Bob Mackenzie, MaDavid will instead play in the Ivan Hlinka tournament and will get an invite to the December U20 selection camp.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:50 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Stop with the blinders guys....

Team USA ALWAYS brings faster skaters than the Canadians in ANY tournament...That includes WJC and now Olympics...

They are as fast as the russians...

The USA trains on larger surfaces and probably plays most of their games on bigger ice... This is why PK subban is such a great skater...the ice he used to play in junior was bigger than the standard...

We dont have the depth we used to have... we need to get back to this depth...

What makes me laugh are posters on this site arguing about how many teams can canada ice...LOL we cant even ice a winning team...

its a joke
Let me put things in the proper perspective. Of the Top 60 Scorers in the NHL, 6 (10%) are American. 38 (63.33%) are Canadian.

Yes, the U.S. is producing very good teams for the U-18's. As well they should - they play together for years. But has it translated into high end NHL talent, I would say "No".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Define 'faster'??

A straight line down the ice, a full lap of the ice, start stop start again, what??

Check out the top guys in NHL right now, pts, goals, assists, plus minus, hits, blocked shots, dmen points....check them all out, I see alot of Canadians....ohh and check out the top 10 for this years draft, hmmmmm I see alot of Canadians again, maybe like 7 out of 10, so yeah we must be doing something right.......

Thanks for the insight lol
Well said. While there is no excuse for us not winning the WJR's in 2012 (let alone the last 4 years) we are producing high end talent in abundance = especially up front. Well, everywhere but in goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Open to interpretation I guess....What do you want me to say, the tournament should be scheduled for a time when Canada can send all of it's best players-which can't currently make it due to the CHL playoffs? My point is, Canada should have enough depth to compete at this tournament regardless of player availability. I will say the U.S. has a significant built in advantage by sending the USNTDP, which gets to play together all year around against quality competition. That said, you still have to win the games.

Better?
And they have competed. Especially this year. Please remember, Canada is not sending their best and they are not sending players who have played together in the past. The U.S. is sending their best and they have played together. The advantage is more than significant.

Quote:
What does a player's draft ranking have to do with proficency in international competition-especially at the junior level? This isn't Pokemon or who has the shiniest toys.
The point is... for a poster who screams out loud every time someone criticizes U.S. hockey, you sure spend a lot of time in Canadian threads.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Couple points:
1. According to Hockey Canada protocol, once you play for the U20 team, convention is that you dont play again at a lower level (U18). So if McDavid makes a World Junior team this year or next year, he essentially foregoes U-18 eligibility

2. In theory, I believe McDavid could be invited to the U20 Summer camp, as HC protocol again says that an underager has to attend the Ivan Hlinka camp unless they have already played for Canada in a U18 event. Obviously now McDavid now has, its just up to HC. Personally, id rather see him help Canada win a real event. If there was something like the Super Series last year, my mind would change
I don't see why they need a "protocol". Just take it case-by-case. If a guy is good enough and eligible at whatever level, just play him.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't see why they need a "protocol". Just take it case-by-case. If a guy is good enough and eligible at whatever level, just play him.
Exactly, what if the next Lindros comes along.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:29 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Open to interpretation I guess....What do you want me to say, the tournament should be scheduled for a time when Canada can send all of it's best players-which can't currently make it due to the CHL playoffs? My point is, Canada should have enough depth to compete at this tournament regardless of player availability. I will say the U.S. has a significant built in advantage by sending the USNTDP, which gets to play together all year around against quality competition. That said, you still have to win the games.

Better?
Just replaying the comment above.
I guess this year Canada has proven that we have the depth.
that aside, the USA program is designed to get them to the podium.
You still have to come play and I can look at either team for all the reasons they should win .
Lets hope for some great hockey .

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:00 AM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Does anyone know how long after a game the full game is usually available on tsn.ca?

PGCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Canada up 1-0 so far. Nice goal by Dauphin and just did some great work on the PK.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:54 AM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Connor Clifton just tied the game for USA in the 2nd.

TampaBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Canada leading 3-2 late in the 3rd.

So impressed by Theodore and Bowey in this tournament.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Yeah! We win!

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:21 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
YEAH BABY

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Just thought I would post some quick thoughts on my viewings in Sochi. The wireless in my hotel room was brutal so I ended up posting less on our website than planned.

Keep in mind I bounced around a bit between games. For instance, I only watched the 1st period of the Canada vs Germany game as I expected a better game between USA and Czechs so I switched rinks after one, many NHL scouts followed the same pattern. I wanted to watch as much of the Czechs as I could, liked Vrana a ton last year...not as much this year.

McDavid was awesome, nuff said. I thought the Canada dmen played well overall. Goaltending was good. Bennett had a few great games and Klimchuk was solid. Bigras got more ice as the tourney went along. I expected that to happen.

Once again Saros didn't let me down. He was amazing in every game I watched. I liked Honka going into the event and still like him. He's smart, tough and moves the puck well.

Nichushkin was off and on. He came to life in the Finland game after Honka hit him, Honka woke the bear. It didn't translate to his next game. He was brutal. In games after that he had good shifts and bad ones...as I joked to a few scouts, he looked like a guy who was above chasing down his own pucks now. Having said that, his talent is unreal.

There was nothing talked about more in the hotel bar at night than Nichushkin. Scouts had some fun debating where he would go off the board and it's always more entertaining in a bar setting.

I had plenty of chats with CHL teams about my thoughts on guys for the import draft. Plenty of agents were at the event, including the hotel bar at night. Saros was a hot topic as was Vrana. Don't expect to see either in Canada next year though.

Overall, Canada was the best team IMO. I sat with Button for a bunch of games and we were both impressed from the get go. I told Dave Randorph that based on my viewings of Sweden I expected Canada to handle them quite easily...I didn't expect so easily that I switched games after two periods. I thought Canada had no legs today but dug deep in the 3rd for a big win. I feel for USA as it's the superbowl for that program.

Slovkia had a couple players who might end up in the CHL. More on them coming in our publications.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:27 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Great to see Canada winning it! Congrats to the team!

One thing I recognized in the final: Desrosiers left his goal every few minutes and always gave the puck back to a US-player. He didn't get any clearing attempts done! Did he ever pass a puck to his teammate instead of an opponent?

PGCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
stormtracker

Thrilled to see Canada win. Just wondering though what happened to Jason Dickinson. The other Guelph Storm player Hunter Garlent played on a regular line. I saw early in the tournament that Dickinson was picking up some penalty minutes but did not see him in the lineup or in any statistical summaries as the playoffs approached and happened. Does anyone know?

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:36 PM
dhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post

One thing I recognized in the final: Desrosiers left his goal every few minutes and always gave the puck back to a US-player. He didn't get any clearing attempts done! Did he ever pass a puck to his teammate instead of an opponent?
With Oceanic, Desrosiers was making me sweat every time he was going behind the goal. Most of the time, pass was made to teammate though.

dhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post

I tweeted about this today. His actual puck handling skills are high end but he makes brutal decisions with the puck.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracker View Post
Thrilled to see Canada win. Just wondering though what happened to Jason Dickinson. The other Guelph Storm player Hunter Garlent played on a regular line. I saw early in the tournament that Dickinson was picking up some penalty minutes but did not see him in the lineup or in any statistical summaries as the playoffs approached and happened. Does anyone know?
High ankle sprain for Dickinson. FYI, Ritchie was also out the last few games after a hit to the head.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:18 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
High ankle sprain for Dickinson. FYI, Ritchie was also out the last few games after a hit to the head.
Mark
The American team didn't holdback with their emotions after the game and until you said it was the program Super Bowl , it all makes sense.
The American youth program is for international dominance, Canadian kids at
That age are dreaming of Stanley cups.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Mark
The American team didn't holdback with their emotions after the game and until you said it was the program Super Bowl , it all makes sense.
The American youth program is for international dominance, Canadian kids at
That age are dreaming of Stanley cups.
It's not that they don't dream of Stanley Cups but my point is that they make a two year commitment to the program with many international games played. The final game plan is to win a gold in their last game. This team had extra pressure trying to keep the USA streak alive.

I felt bad on how long they were kept on the ice on their blue line waiting out all the post game awards after a tough loss. All they wanted to do was get to their room and start dealing with the loss.

Anyway, nothing to be ashamed about, they outplayed Canada for two periods as far as puck control goes. No shame in winning silver.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:47 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Just replaying the comment above.
I guess this year Canada has proven that we have the depth.
that aside, the USA program is designed to get them to the podium.
You still have to come play and I can look at either team for all the reasons they should win .
Lets hope for some great hockey .
Actually what is amazing is the talent left at home or injured;

Drouin - Mackinnon - Duclair
Lazar - Domi - Petan
Kujawinski - Horvat - Mistele
Gregoire - Houck - Moutrey

Nurse - Ekblad
Subban - Doetzel

Comrie
Fucale
Jarry

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Actually what is amazing is the talent left at home or injured;

Drouin - Mackinnon - Duclair
Lazar - Domi - Petan
Kujawinski - Horvat - Mistele
Gregoire - Houck - Moutrey

Nurse - Ekblad
Subban - Doetzel

Comrie
Fucale
Jarry

there are some writers who are toting immediate sucess in the under 20 2014 team due to the under 18 success, but a number of 94 year will have something to say about that. I see two and maybe three from this under 18 team making the under 20 jump.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
there are some writers who are toting immediate sucess in the under 20 2014 team due to the under 18 success, but a number of 94 year will have something to say about that. I see two and maybe three from this under 18 team making the under 20 jump.
Actually the quicker we can get away from players born in 94, the better. Some good players, Hudon, Monahan and Shinkaruk, but not a whole lot of elite level star power. The 95s are a deeper talent pool and have some hi-end skill. I've been saying it for years, 93 and 94 are not good years for Canada.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote