Notices

The YETI - Soderberg

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 11:25 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
He is a thousand times better than that first game- been impressed; goes well with Jagr
. Btw my daughter got some great film of Jagr during warm ups yucking it up over the Traveling Jagrs (the boys are from Calgary)

Old
04-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Shadowthrone
Harken the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
Great game by the Yeti tonight. When will he score though?
Well, you ain't seen nothing Yeti

Old
04-26-2013, 01:35 AM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by spylogic3 View Post
Soderberg saved Tuukka's shutout when Rask kicked the puck into the slot and was out of position. The Yeti got the puck outta there.
I have noticed him make really good defensive plays in his own zone a number of times already

Old
04-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
He is a thousand times better than that first game- been impressed; goes well with Jagr
. Btw my daughter got some great film of Jagr during warm ups yucking it up over the Traveling Jagrs (the boys are from Calgary)
They call themselves the Jagr salute crew.

Another great game by Yeti. Really liked his extra long shifts and willingness to drive to the net. He's also hitting a bit as well.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:20 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti34 View Post
They call themselves the Jagr salute crew.

Another great game by Yeti. Really liked his extra long shifts and willingness to drive to the net. He's also hitting a bit as well.
we ran into them at the box office and chatted with the boys- my kid got in a picture and they told me they were from Calgary; during warmups the girls go the trainer to get the Real Jagr's attention and he loved it- my daughter filmed it and was showing us between periods- Jagr then went over the Chara and pointed them out and he broke into a big smile...she's got some good video on this I'll try and figure out how to get it because its pretty good

Old
04-26-2013, 09:40 AM
bp13

I must be missing something with Soderberg. He looks good on the power play but otherwise I don't think he does anything. When he tries to use his body he's too slow, when he battles for loose pucks he falls down, etc. I just don't see much of anything.

I guess I'm happy I'm alone in that regard as I'll trust that some of you guys are right. Obviously it's too early to know one way or the other, but I'm happy you guys see something. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:49 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
I must be missing something with Soderberg. He looks good on the power play but otherwise I don't think he does anything. When he tries to use his body he's too slow, when he battles for loose pucks he falls down, etc. I just don't see much of anything.

I guess I'm happy I'm alone in that regard as I'll trust that some of you guys are right. Obviously it's too early to know one way or the other, but I'm happy you guys see something. Hopefully I'm wrong.
You could easily be talking about Seguin here.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:18 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:

I think you are?

I see Soderberg falling as well, but I think it's because he is going out of his way to be "physical". I see a lot of near misses on his connections with Jagr and Kelly, that should improve with familiarity. I see a guy that seems to naturally go to the front of the net, and one that is willing to take a hit along the boards (and maintain the puck) to make a play.

The things that I see him doing wrong, I chalk up mostly to a lack of familiarity with his teammates, the system, and NA hockey in general. If he is still looking that awkward next year after the playoffs a full training camp here, then I will be concerned. The things you can't teach/learn like creativity and vision (ironic) seem to be there.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:

I think he's been ok. I wasn't expecting a whole lot though either. Certainly could be better, you can tell he's got good vision and thinks the game pretty well. It will take him a bit to get acclimated. Don't think we'll be able to judge him until next year.

Edit: FWIW ... that description above was probably how we all would have described Blake Wheeler to a T 3 years ago

Old
04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

He looks good. His defensive game looks very good. He clearly has offensive skill. Good vision and passing. He drives to the net as well. Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't scored yet there have been a number of times I thought he was in perfect position and either didn't receive a pass (Kelly at least once last game) or didn't get a good bounce on a rebound. Chara has also missed the net on a number of times he was camped out front and might have got a tip or rebound if the shot was better

Old
04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
You could easily be talking about Seguin here.
Often times, yea. That's true. But Soderberg is also much bigger.

Further, every time Seguin touches the puck the defense backs up, which changes the game entirely. At this point Seguin is a thousand times the player Soderberg is.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

I also like him better at center instead of Kelly Lets him and jagr connect better on rushes. His face offs need a bit of work though. Could be just getting familiar with the competition and how refs drop it and how much cheating you can do

Old
04-26-2013, 10:38 AM
bp13

I'll be honest...I expected a trainwreck. I really did. Call it pessimism.

I'll freely acknowledge he's not a trainwreck. He has the size, he can skate, he's not timid, and he has the hands. The trouble is he just never seems to have the puck on his stick in the offensive zone and he rarely seems to be in the right place (those two probably go hand in hand). Like the rest of you, I agree we need to give him time. I'm optimistic about his future now, I'm just saying that I don't see a player who is doing much for this team THIS year.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:46 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:

I'll freely acknowledge he's not a trainwreck. He has the size, he can skate, he's not timid, and he has the hands. The trouble is he just never seems to have the puck on his stick in the offensive zone and he rarely seems to be in the right place (those two probably go hand in hand). Like the rest of you, I agree we need to give him time. I'm optimistic about his future now, I'm just saying that I don't see a player who is doing much for this team THIS year.
I think that's fair. My hope is He turns into 2010 Wheeler, Spooner turns into 2010 Krejci, and we find someone else to be the Ryder

Old
04-26-2013, 11:08 AM
jasonbaz77*

Talent-wise he already looks top 3 on the team. He isn't afraid to go into the grimy areas and use his body either. I really like what I see so far.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:23 AM
ThomasJ13

I like what I have seen from him defensively in many respects - he takes good angles on players on the forecheck and for the mostpart in the neutral zone, and usually takes the body. At times he's looked a little confused in his own zone, but makes up for it with a lot of effort if he's caught out of place, so I'm chalking that up to getting familiar with their D-zone system. Offensively I just mentally compare him to Bourque, Pandalfo or Caron whenever he's on the ice, and he easily looks better than any of them.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:12 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Every time Seguin touches the puck the defense backs up, which changes the game entirely.
True, they back up, and regroup, and then close in in a classic pinch move and force the turnover which always seems to happen.

His speed is both a blessing and a curse, and until he learns how to utilize it properly he will not realize his true potential. He simply cannot continue to attack NHL defensemen head-on. He either has to cleanly break up the ice -- which is going to be more rare than not -- or he has to learn how to make time for his line mates to get into the play and provide support.

This is a lesson he has not learned yet.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:19 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
True, they back up, and regroup, and then close in in a classic pinch move and force the turnover which always seems to happen.

His speed is both a blessing and a curse, and until he learns how to utilize it properly he will not realize his true potential. He simply cannot continue to attack NHL defensemen head-on. He either has to cleanly break up the ice -- which is going to be more rare than not -- or he has to learn how to make time for his line mates to get into the play and provide support.

This is a lesson he has not learned yet.
It really is eerily reminiscent to watching Kessel fail on an inside/out move everytime he got the puck 1 on 1.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Salem13

Krejci has to be a sage and say "Tyler, when they back up, STOP"

Old
04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:

I really wish he had had ten games or so under his belt before the playoffs. I'm very impressed with him to this point. He's got a bit of the crazy legs going on and he's off balance a bit, but he's also made some good moves and he obviously has good instincts. I think he's going to be ok in the playoffs. If he dials his energy level down a click or two and relaxes, he'll be dangerous and productive with Jagr in the coming weeks, IMO.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
Old
04-26-2013, 12:53 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
It really is eerily reminiscent to watching Kessel fail on an inside/out move everytime he got the puck 1 on 1.
There are a ton of similarities.

He needs to be more open to firing shots through screens, pulling up and waiting, circling the net, tucking the shoulder and going to the far post, etc. The difference between him and Kessel is that I think he gets the game much more, and his vision is really excellent.

I wonder if the Bruins would ever consider trying him on the left wing to see if maybe he likes cutting across the slot on his forehand? I'm sure they've thought of it and maybe it's a problem defensively, but it might get him to adopt these other moves more quickly.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
I wonder if the Bruins would ever consider trying him on the left wing to see if maybe he likes cutting across the slot on his forehand? I'm sure they've thought of it and maybe it's a problem defensively, but it might get him to adopt these other moves more quickly.
Now there's an idea that could be very productive. But then again, almost anything East-West would be good for him when on the attack.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:58 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem13 View Post
Krejci has to be a sage and say "Tyler, when they back up, STOP"
It's a good point. The thing with Krejci is that he's so smooth and slippery, but if he pulls up, he's done. He might keep the puck from the d-man but he won't be able to get moving again. Seguin is so quick, he could pull up and d-men wouldn't stop and go after him because he could crossover or spin and go right past them. The kid really is an all-world talent.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Now there's an idea that could be very productive. But then again, almost anything East-West would be good for him when on the attack.
I want him to shoot more. And if you watch him when he ends up on the left side he knows exactly where to go to open up for a shot. He's got the hockey sense - he's not a Blake Wheeler out there who's clueless as to where to go. The trouble is at even strength he's always on the forehand and he seemingly won't, or can't, go across the middle. In that regard he's like Kessel.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:01 PM
spylogic3

Jagr has a flu, so the "new" line at practice is:

Soderberg - Kelly - Daugavins

Also, Jagr didn't travel to Washington with the team.

Closed Thread