HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

January 31, 1959 Don Marshall vs Ted Lindsay

Old
04-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
January 31, 1959 Don Marshall vs Ted Lindsay

The "Goon" Hall of Fame thread prompted a flashback to fights where a non-fighter fought a known fighter:

January 31, 1959. Don Marshall fought Ted Lindsay and by accounts did very well:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...g=5912%2C88096

Any similar fights or fights between known pacifists?

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
newfy

I dont think you are but I really hope youre not implying Ted Lindsey was a pacifist

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Joe Sakic vs Doug Gilmour comes to mind...

Dougie wasn't a goon but was known for his toughness.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I dont think you are but I really hope youre not implying Ted Lindsey was a pacifist
I think he's referring to Don Marshall doing surprisingly well against Terrible Ted.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think he's referring to Don Marshall doing surprisingly well against Terrible Ted.
Ya, exactly... not a big fan of Goalie Fights. Goalie vs Goalie. Staged & foolish. Not the kind of temperament, overly psycho propensities youd ever want in a netminder. Serious liability. Fighting to prove what exactly I dont know. Not something Ive ever admired in any of them. Turns the game on its head. Bizarro World. Just not something you do, nor do you get into it with a player as in swinging, dropping your stick & gloves. Gutless what with a mask on and all that protection. Your taught to hold back.... Now, a guy like Billy Smith, his "technique" if you will was to attempt to draw penalties, went beyond just clearing his crease & the shooting lanes. Extremely provocative, baiting guys quite deliberately with his stick & or mouth that constantly ran like an open sewer. Thats OK in my book, provided you dont hit with intent to injure. He unfortunately didnt seem to care at times & would do just that. Viscous, and I suppose perhaps had I personally played against a goalie like that and he did injure one of my players, I'd probably have been incensed enough to skated down to the other end & killed him. Fair fight with pads n' all.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote